Primeval!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Primeval!

I'm SUCH a square....

Primeval!

The first day of a predicted multi-day winter storm has finally come our way; by most people's standards, it was just a dusting -- especially with the 'el grande' amounts of snow some got last week! -- but when I left work today, there was 2" of snow down, and more coming. The ride home, straight-shot, is only about 2 miles; anything else that needs doing -- like dropping off some outgoing mail, like tonight -- easily doubles that and more.

There are several routes available for my ride. The local MUP has likely not been touched in over a week, there are several city-street routes, and the US highway that bisects the city has a generous shoulder on the south side of town.

I took the shoulder tonight, riding through virgin pile -- not powder, not slush -- the wind blowing massive flakes in my face, cars barely passing me in near-blinding conditions. I was well-lit, with the flashing tail light, helmet light, and bar light all going. I know I was seen, because there were areas where people had to wait for me, and they did so.

It was like traveling outside time.

Pure elemental, simple man vs. uncaring nature, the stuff Jack London used to write about; that's how it felt on the ride tonight. I felt that simple purity only one other time in nine years of winter riding and commuting!

It was only a few miles; I was out nearly an hour, instead of the usual 15 minutes on the straight route. But it was a rejuvenating experience!

Oh, how I love pedaling................
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

No-Brakes Cougar
    Great story! Isn't it funny how only one or two new elements can take the same old commute and transform it into an entirely different experience?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice. Last year it snowed and I actually had a mountain bike ready to ride in. I live in Oregon, so I don't usually have nice snow for long, so the first day it was ok, but I ate it on a corner because I wanted to ride faster.

The next day the snow was now slush and ice and despite the fall from the previous day, I really went after speed, wiped out, at some point slammed the toptube into my shin. It hurt terribly, but I was in the zone, so I finished the ride to work, saw a dent in my toptube, pulled off my snow pants and saw a bleeding welt protruding about a half inch over my shin bone.

So you got an epic and beautiful two mile journey in virgin snow, a man versus nature moment. Mine was man versus stupidity (my own).

Next time I think you owe us pictures.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Sorry, umarth, but the only pix I could have taken would have been crappy ones from my phone; after dark, they'd look like a Jackson Pollock wanna-be's rejects.

Today's trip was about as negative as last night's was positive; bitter cold windchill, drifts that made the ride more like riding over baby-head ice cubes -- glad to see my driveway tonight!

But last night's ride will stay with me for a while.

Gary -- SO TRUE!

mtbr member
    I'm envious. Only time I ever rode in the snow was during a family visit to NYC. It was all slush and ice and no fenders. I was wet, cold and in the urban jungle, totally unpleasant. I would've preferred your experience.
    I'm gravity challenged, adrenaline deficient, and looking for that endorphine high. Shout out, I'll move out of the way. :-)

I'm SUCH a square....
    Ohhhh, yeah, pog -- fenders are a MUST! I would have a face full of snow each and every ride without them!

Members who have read this thread: 0