Preventing theft- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Preventing theft

I have a 29er Marin Alpine Trail that I use to commute around Boston. While the bike itself is not that expensive, it is a mountain bike and its a bright, shiny red. What can I do to make it less attractive to theft, without permanently messing up the paint job or doing something that would be a pain to undo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Switch all the QR stuff to bolt on and get a good lock.

turtles make me hot
    Zip tie a would be thief's head to your headtube. No one else would ever touch it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    remove all stickers and sand down all logos.
    thieves make their money selling as many parts as possible.
    and they rely on people who aren't knowledgeable enough about bike parts to buy those parts.
    (no wanker who would buy from a thief wants to snag a no-logo'd scratched up derailleur no matter how well it shifts)
    silicone glue in bolt heads.
    (can be pulled out easily enough with a sharp pointy knife for yourself, but a thief can't start reefing on the bolt unless they pull the gunk out)
    double lock (of course) and might want to try and use different types of locks.

short story: ex and her friend lock their bikes outside my house, ex's kryptonite gets busted, friend's kryptonite gets busted, friend's chintzy spiral bound cable doesn't.
    ex's bike gone, her friend's bike stays.
    they were good to go for u-lock-busting, not for a simple cable.
    *shrug*
    Last edited by byknuts; 04-14-2010 at 07:25 AM.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    Zip tie a would be thief's head to your headtube. No one else would ever touch it.

But seriously, I'd echo byknuts. I've been commuting for several years, first in Washington DC, and now in Toronto - both big bike theft cities. Remove the stickers (or add some extras of your own - the more used the bike looks, the better), no QR for hubs or seatpost - definitely use a high quality U-lock through front wheel and frame (I have had best luck with a Kryptonite New York fahgeddaboudit), and then use a cheaper cable to go around the bike rack and at least the rear wheel/seat rails. Do not use the U-lock to hold the cable together....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One of the best solutions for my commuter is this setup

http://www.urbanbiketech.com/
    Urban Bike Tech - Pitlock Locking Skewers for your bike! USA and Canada

I ordered a set last year from this place, Vince is the owner and a stand-up guy, great guy to deal with
    it's also the least expensive

Members who have read this thread: 0