Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

Post Bike Commuter News

Schuylkill River Trail attacks down
    Published: Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Schuylkill River Trail in Conshohocken. Photo by Andy Stettler
    By Keith Phucas
    Times Herald Staff
    PLYMOUTH — Incidents of intimidation and violence on the Schuylkill River Trail in Norristown dropped since the summer due to increased police patrols, according Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman.

Earlier this year, reports of harassment of cyclists on the trail were on the rise in the county. And after several adult cyclists reported being harassed on the Norristown portion of the trail, county officials and police met with a cycling group in June.

One woman reported being punched, a man had rocks thrown at him and others cyclists had their paths blocked by groups of teenagers. After the meeting, Norristown police and the county Sheriff’s deputies immediately stepped up the police presence along the path.
    “Once those patrols began, we noticed an immediate and significant reduction in acts of violence. From all the reports I received, it seems that the remainder of the summer and fall were relatively uneventful and our citizens were able to enjoy the trail and parks as they should,” Ferman wrote in a December e-mail message.

The DA said other “law enforcement actions” are planned to ensure that these trails remain safe and accessible for the public; however, she did not elaborate. Previously, Ferman promised to mount “undercover operations” on the trail.

The issue came to a head on July 22, when a man riding a bike reportedly fired a gun in the direction of two youths who had assaulted him.

That Wednesday evening, Plymouth police received reports of gunfire on the bike path, and they later took a 27-year-old Norristown man, Joseph James DePaul Jr., into custody for questioning.

DePaul told investigators he tried to get onto the bike trail in Conshohocken around 8:30 p.m., but two juveniles on bikes reportedly blocked his path. Though DePaul was able to get around them, both the juveniles allegedly followed him, according to the DA’s Office.

After the teens passed the cyclist, the juveniles collided with each other on their bikes, and as DePaul rode by them, they “exchanged words” with him.

Soon after, the 17-year-old got back on his BMX bike and chased DePaul, and after catching up to him, kicked him, which caused him to almost lose control of his bike and hit a fence, according to authorities.

Moments later, the man admitted drawing his Keltec .380 caliber handgun and firing six shots at the boy who had kicked him. The juvenile was about 200 to 250 feet away from DePaul at the time. At the time of the incident, the man had a legal permit to carry the weapon.

Two days after the shooting incident, county Sheriff John P. Durante, whose office issues gun permits, revoked DePaul’s firearm license for endangering public safety.

Though the armed man was initially facing attempted murder and manslaughter charges, the DA withdrew those and instead charged him with recklessly endangering another person, arguing that DePaul’s actions were reasonable.

“These kids were terrorizing a person on the bike trail as he was going to work,” Ferman said. However, the man’s “conduct was so reckless, that we think it was appropriate to charge him with reckless endangering another.”

The case is pending.

When Plymouth Township police went to the home of the teenager’s father to arrest the juvenile last summer, they discovered a “bicycle chop shop” in the basement that included nearly 20 bicycles and bike parts that are reportedly suspected of being stolen.

The 17-year-old boy from Norristown was adjudicated in juvenile court after admitting he assaulted the bicyclist on the trail.

from http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...4700770383.txt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Bike Commuter News-doc4b3a006d0ae247007703831.jpg  

Bedwards Of The West
    Wow. Sounds like cleaning up after your pet is the least of your worries if you're braving that trail.

I freaking hate punk kids. If I had to carry a weapon to feel safe on my commute, I would be so pissed. In a sick way I'm proud of the gunslinging commuter.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Wow. Sounds like cleaning up after your pet is the least of your worries if you're braving that trail.

I freaking hate punk kids. If I had to carry a weapon to feel safe on my commute, I would be so pissed. In a sick way I'm proud of the gunslinging commuter.
    Me too, though after the fireman incident, we all know how firing "warning shots" turns out. Still, you have a right to defend yourself. If I were in a situation like this, it would be tempting to carry a baseball bat, though the beating served would only earn you a charge of assaulting a minor. I think I'd probably carry pepper spray and just spray the sh!t out of them. Hopefully they learn their lesson after "repeated applications."
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

I'm SUCH a square....
    Bear spray, stun gun, t-ball bat, whatever you need -- it's nuts to HAVE to be in that situation. Indirectly, in abstract, we are all to blame for that, though -- we let standards slip to the point where anarchy rules areas less 'observed'.

We have allowed thugs -- of all ages and races -- to grow and develop into societal predators. Had Mike Tyson not met Cus D'Amato, he would have gone to prison on multiple occasions, as he was a street thug who beat up little old ladies for their SSI checks (IIRC). We have allowed the collective 'wrist slap', and now we pay for that lapse with having to face arming ourselves to safely travel in our own hometowns.

I don't have too many definitive answers, but the problem is waved in my face daily, living in the 'hood. Younger folks who may well mean no evil can compliment me on my bike, and i ignore them, muttering to myself as I travel on about how they need to STFU and keep their eyeballs off my bike, I'll kill the first m-f who tries me.

If I could figure out a 'stealth' way to carry a shirasaya sword on my bike, I'd feel a lot safer!

Moderator Moderator

Huh? Judge Rules Right Hook OK

Portland cyclist - and its reputation as bike-friendly city - takes hit
    Josh ShulmanAttorney
    Posted by Josh ShulmanJanuary 11, 2010 3:53 PM

In December, a Portland judge ruled in favor of a motorist who turned right in an intersection and subsequently hit a cyclist who was in, and therefore protected by, a bike lane — or so the cyclist, and everyone else involved, thought.

In the report we first read about on BikePortland.org:

When Portlander Rob Daray witnessed a right-hook collision on his commute home last summer he thought it was obvious who was at fault. So did the police officer who cited the operator of the motor vehicle for “failure to yield to a bicycle.” Even the woman driving the car admitted she made an abrupt right turn without checking her blind spots.

But when the case came up in traffic court, the judge came to a different conclusion and now Mr. Daray and others familiar with this are worried that people who ride bicycles are vulnerable — not just on the street, but in the legal system as well.

On June 10th, Mr. Daray was riding his bicycle eastbound on SE Hawthorne Blvd just before 5:00 pm when he looked up and saw a gray Toyota Prius turn right onto SE 10th. The Prius, driven by Ellen Metz, collided with a woman on a bicycle who was traveling in the same direction. The woman on the bike was Carmen Piekarski a cartographer who works for the City of Portland’s Bureau of Planning and Sustainability. She was thrown from her bike and sustained serious road rash and is still in physical therapy for a shoulder injury.

The biking community, along with others, is of course outraged at the ruling. We and other lawyers have chimed in as well. It is amazing that cyclists, pedestrians, lawmakers, police - even drivers - have learned the law and accept it as second nature. Portland police have made videos highlighting the classic right hook, what the law says about, what drivers and cyclists are supposed to do in such a situation, and then safety precautions each should take to prevent an accident. But when an accident does happen, the law is supposed to be on the side of the "vulnerable user" (i.e., the cyclist).

Instead, what the judge has done is muddled what so many had worked so hard to cement in everyone's minds as not only safe but adherent to law.

ORS 811.050 states that:

A person commits the offense of failure of a motor vehicle operator to yield to a rider on a bicycle lane if the person is operating a motor vehicle and the person does not yield the right of way to a person operating a bicycle, electric assisted bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, moped, motor assisted scooter or motorized wheelchair upon a bicycle lane.

A bicycle lane is defined as "that part of the highway, adjacent to the roadway, designated by official signs or markings for use by persons riding bicycles except as otherwise specifically provided by law."

And as anyone can see, not even car lanes continue through most intersections. Therefore, if we were to take the ruling as law - or fact - then that would mean the intersection could in essence be the one area not covered by law. It would be pandmonium. What is not stated explicitly in the law is understood by common sense.

We think the law is clear.

Ruling aside, this incident has reminded us that even if the law is on our side, cyclists are, like it or not, vulnerable in traffic. So we want to take this opportunity to remind everyone of some very important safety precautions.

Cyclists:

Never assume a motorist sees you. Obey the laws of traffic and try to make eye contact or communicate through hand signals, but never, ever take for granted that a car is supposed to stop for you. Give yourself plenty of distance, and even if you think you are safe, take one more glance around you to ensure someone is not coming at you.
    Even though this accident happened in the peak of summer, when the weather was warm and the sun was shining, every cyclist should wear the recommended safety gear: reflective and/or bright-colored clothing, lights in the front and back of the bike, and of course, a helmet.
    Motorists:

You have the responsibility as the bigger and faster vehicle operator to practice due care. When you have the weight and power of a car on your side, you also have an obligation to smaller and slower cyclists and pedestrians.
    Always be aware of your surroundings and watch for cyclists, especially at intersections. It makes sense. While cyclists are in a bike lane or sometimes on a sidewalk the one place, or most likely place, the two of you will converge is at an intersection. Be especially careful here.
    Slow down.
    Check your blind spot. Twice, if you have to.
    If an accident does occur, stop, assist the victim, and exchange any contact and insurance information.
    According to an update, the cyclist, Carmen Piekarski, still cannot move her arm to its full extent without pain and cracking. And she has decided against a civil lawsuit.

We have laws put in place for a reason, but that reason is not to exclude citizens from individual responsibility. We all share the road, and we all have the right to safety.

from
    http://portland.injuryboard.com/auto...oogleid=276598

No-Brakes Cougar
    Not sure if you can appeal a traffic court ruling, but I'd certainly try. That is the most unbelievable thing I've heard recently.

Moderator Moderator
    SanFran '09 bike report - trends, new bike counter, etc.....

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/01/22...ase-from-2006/

jrm
    mtbr member

Its all about the "free" right

its so dangerous to bikes and peds especially on freeway on ramps and interchanges. But engineers repute this claim because allowing a free right turn increases the ability for a intersection and interchange to move cars and trucks thought the intersection.

I got nothin'
    Here's one that will piss you off.

http://bikeportland.org/2010/01/22/m...ts-five-years/
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, and I see from one of the links that he was so sorry to kill the biking teacher that he talked to his lowlife freinds from jail about a fundraiser for the biker's family, but the plan was to use the $ for his bail! The girl is being charged with theft by deception & the driver is back in jail for violating conditions of bail.

http://www.kgw.com/home/Fraudulent-V...-70669877.html

How do you get such a bad driving record by the time you are 18???

Also a hit and run, and not only texting, said he was smoking a cigar too! Unbelievable.

My state (VT) does not have a anti-texting or anti-phoning law, but they are talking about one for texting this session.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Maybe it's just me, but I have a really hard time figuring out how there is so much gray area in these legal processes. The law says what it says, where do these friggin' idiots get off ruling that it says the opposite?

Since a lot of courts are, in effect, de-criminalizing everything short of mass murder, the mayhem that can be committed to a cyclist on the road is getting pretty heinous. Not only are we as citizens not safe, heck, that woman cyclist worked for the city! They're not even protecting their own!

Not sure about OR, but in Ohio, there are precedents for appeal of a traffic court ruling. We've seen 2 in recent times, out of three 'high-profile' cases.

mtb xplr -- the kid got that bad a driving record at that age just because he's a dumf**k who skated through the system that doesn't take anything seriously anymore.

They follow the credo of "don't sweat the small stuff" -- when, then, does it get big enough to sweat?

I got nothin'
    In OR we finally got a hands free and no texting law. I drivers are still too distracted with the "hands free" phones, you have to dial and accept calls still. I also think it's way to easy to get a drivers license in the U.S. I see a lot of drivers that are just not qualified to be on the road and need professional instruction.

The guy who was killed in Vancouver was also the teacher of the guy who killed him. The convict admitted that if it wasn't for the victim he would have never graduated high school. And yea, his girl friend is a real piece of work. She put together a benefit fundraiser for the victim with the majority of the donations coming from members of the victims church. She takes the money and uses it to post bail for the convict. They are both nasty pieces of s$$t.

The convict was also on a suspended license.

The convict gets a 5 year sentence and I bet he's out in 3.

Moderator Moderator

Cops stop cyclist with butcher knife-pool cue axe

Cops stop cyclist with butcher knife-pool cue axe
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010; 3:17 PM

ALEXANDRIA, La. -- Alexandria police said man stopped for riding his bicycle at night without a headlight was carrying a weapon made from a butcher knife attached to a pool cue. They said the 51-year-old man also had a razor blade in his hat. He was booked with illegally carrying a weapon, doing so after a felony conviction, resisting an officer, public intoxication and at least five outstanding warrants.

The police report said the suspect originally gave police a fake name. An officer patted him down and found a metal push rod that appeared to be used for smoking crack cocaine. They also found a prescription painkiller in someone else's name.

from
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012602511.html

Classic unclear headline - I thought the cops were wielding the weapon!
    OK, I might be stretching the "bike commuter news" topic, seems unlikely he was on his way to a real job

Moderator Moderator

UK Police Chief Victim of Road Rage on Bike Home; Teen Banned from Driving for 2 yrs.

Burnley road rage teen targeted cycling police chief
    (From Lancashire Telegraph)

11:43am Tuesday 2nd February 2010

By Wendy Barlow »

A ROAD rage teenage driver repeatedly targeted a cyclist and left him fearing for his life.

Burnley Crown Court heard how unbeknown to Benjamin Harrison, 18, his victim was police inspector Martin Melvin.

Nine times he almost mowed down DI Melvin, aiming for him on the pavement, striking his handle-bars, forcing him off his bike into trees, threatening to kill him and hurling stones and coins at him.

The victim had no escape route and had no choice but to continue his journey on the almost deserted road, the court heard.

Mr Melvin, who had just left Burnley police station, arrived at his home 20 minutes after his prolonged ordeal visibly shaking.

He had taken Harrison’s registration number and the defendant was later arrested.

Harrison, of Low Bank, Burnley, admitted dangerous driving in Accrington Road, Burnley, and common assault.

Recorder Graham Wood, QC, who said Mr Melvin was a “bit of an unfortunate choice of victim”, gave him nine months in jail, suspended for two years, with 12 months supervision and 100 hours unpaid work. He was banned from driving for two years and must pay £750 costs.

Recorder Wood told the defendant he had been “very fortunate indeed” to keep his freedom and warned him not to let his family and himself down.

Sarah Statham, prosecuting, said Harrison did not know his victim was a detective inspector and behaved as he did because his victim was a cyclist.

DI Melvin, in his cycling gear and helmet, was travelling from Burnley towards Accrington on the evening of July 3, when Harrison pulled alongside him, sounded his horn and began to shout loudly.

During the incident Harrison came into contact with the victim’s handlebars, forced him to veer on the grass verge, waved a clenched fist towards DI Melvin and shouted: “Get off the road. I will run you off the road. I will kill you. Get off the road.”

He also sounded his horn repeatedly, threw stones and drove straight at the victim from about 10 yards in front of him.

The prosecutor said the defendant was arrested at his parents’ home.

He asked officers: “Can I not just apologise?”

Harrison was questioned twice but was not entirely frank on either occasion, the court was told.

In his first interview, he claimed the cyclist made a gesture and at first he thought it was someone he knew.

The hearing heard how in his second interview, Harrison made further admissions and said he had turned round twice.

Bedwards Of The West
    If I was a judge I would sentence that kid to 20 minutes on a bicycle on an empty road with Martin Melvin behind the wheel of his car. And three of his friends placed at undisclosed strategic locations along the road. And then 20 punches in the face and 100 hours of community service.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I agree that putting someone like this in his victims shoes is the best punishment. It's the quickest, most effective way to make him realize how dangerous his actions are. What a stupid sh!t.

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

No-Brakes Cougar
    Absolutely disgusting. And I'm not surprised by the SFGate comments. Every time I read an article on that site, regardless of the subject matter there are people tripping over themselves to blame the victim, race, religion, lifestyle or whoever their insecurities cause them to lash out at. You think we have @ssholes here at MTBR? Try perusing sfgate.com sometime, you're in for a real treat. OK, that's enough ranting for me today.

~Disc~Golf~
    Score 1 for the intervening citizen...
    <object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/35146384001?isVid=1&publisherID=35121343001" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=64312868001&playerID=35146384001&do main=embed&" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/35146384001?isVid=1&publisherID=35121343001" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=64312868001&playerID=3514638400 1&domain=embed&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    It's hard to believe that either accident was not avoidable...just awful...

Last week the VT legislature heard testimony on an anti-texting law & the paper reported that the most moving testimony was from the wife of a cyclist hit by a driver looking at a handheld GPS last year. The cyclist, in his 70's, only survived by a series of miracles. She urged them to ban all e-devices, not just texting, but that sounds unlikely to pass.

But we're not safe at home either - just read about a MA logging truck that has been wedged in a house since Friday - the occupant avoided injury only by luck. They just decided there is no way to get the truck out except to demolish the house.

Bedwards Of The West
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35369138

Although crime is dropping in Los Angeles, there is one glaring exception: bicycle thefts, which rose 29 percent last year, it was reported Friday.

Nearly 2,000 bikes were reported stolen last year, and authorities believe the actual number of thefts was much higher because so many people don't report stolen bikes, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Los Angeles Police Department detectives believe the increase is due in part to more people using bikes to get around in some neighborhoods. A Times analysis of LAPD data found the USC campus area, Venice, parts of Hollywood and downtown L.A. to be hot spots for bike thefts.

LAPD detectives recently broke up a downtown bicycle theft ring and nabbed two men who allegedly swiped bikes downtown and sold them on Craigslist.com, The Times reported. At the motel of one of the alleged thieves, they found bolt cutters, hacksaws and a Mercedes-Benz equipped with a bike rack.

Some bike messengers last month took justice into their own hands when they caught two suspected thieves, teenage boys who attended a local Catholic high school, The Times reported. According to police, the messengers stripped down the teens to their boxer shorts before taking their cellphones, backpacks and clothes.

"They meted out street justice. We don't condone street justice. They never threatened them. But they made it clear: don't mess with another person's property," Lt. Paul Vernon told the newspaper. "This incident and the arrests are the tip of the iceberg when comes to people stealing bicycles."

Investigators said they cannot prove the boys were stealing bikes and are continuing to look for the assailants.

Obviously a bogus report....it's craigslist.ORG

Moderator Moderator

Hang Up & Bike!

Proposed Texting And Cell Phone Fines For Cyclist
    Rick Boone FOX40 News
    February 22, 2010

DAVIS - How would you like to pay more if your caught talking and driving.

If one lawmaker has his way, the fines could go way up for texting or holding a cell phone to your ear while you drive. Bicyclists would also face the same fines.

State Senator Joe Simitian from Palo Alto is the reason many of us are no longer texting and talking while driving. Now the Senator is proposing to spread the rules to those on bicycles. Right now if your caught you'll face about a 20-buck fine, but that could be increased to $100-dollars.

But Simitian says the legislation has one real purpose - to cut down or delete road distractions. He says "this is an issue of public safety".

The Senator says his laws are working since it started July 1, 2008... the highway patrol has seen a 50-percent drop in distracted driving accidents... And he's hoping if this new bill is passed it will increase those safety numbers drastically.

Still some cyclist believe they'll keep texting, "one hand on the brake...one hand on the phone"...Robert Alverson from Davis says ruling or not it wont affect him. "I've been talking and texting for awhile...it's a habit". But his habit could be broken if the the bill becomes a law in 2O11.
    Copyright © 2010, KTXL-TV

namagomi
    Everybody loves to pick on the little guy.

If they don't pick on you, they'll be sure to tell you they're doing you a BIG favour.

No-Brakes Cougar
    You shouldn't be driving or cycling or do anything on the road (including crossing it on foot) while texting. Paying attention is really one of the best and easiest ways to stay alive and also not kill others in the process as well.

~Disc~Golf~
    wtfffffffffffffffffffff
    i luv txtin on th

I got nothin'

OMG Davis!

I lived there for six years. I am not surprised by the reaction of the cyclist in regards to texting while riding. Davis is a college town and many stay after graduation to live to prolong their entry into the world. I use to see people all over town riding and talking on their cell, no helmet pedaling and weaving on their cruiser bikes wearing flip flops with no care in the world. That's ok, everyone else will watch out for you, even the drunken frat boy on a suspended license in his SUV.

mtbr member
    I think riding and texting deserves some kind of award. Impressive stuff.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    I think riding and texting deserves some kind of award. Impressive stuff.
    Yeah- I used to be impressed by the guys who like to peel bananas while riding. That ain`t nuthin` anymore!
    Recalculating....

Feb 2010
    Lol check this vid! youll crack
    http://******/8ZTQF

Lemme knw what u think !

Thanks. X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    You shouldn't be driving or cycling or do anything on the road (including crossing it on foot) while texting. Paying attention is really one of the best and easiest ways to stay alive and also not kill others in the process as well.
    Some people walk, cycle, or drive poorly without distractions. I love the technozombies on iTunes 'phones and texting stepping out into the street as if walking the hall to their bedroom at home. Day of the Electronic Dead. Or soon to be dead? They always have the right of way but what about the poor schmuck who they step right out in front of? They have to live with maimiing or killing for the rest of their lives. Darwinian selection in action?

I have my mind fully occupied trying to keep from getting run over out there. Or hit by a wrong-way cyclist. And avoiding technozombies. Phone? Text? But you can't fix stupid.

Moderator Moderator

Creepy...sounds like he was just riding along...

Cyclist's death ruled homicide
    Andy Matarrese
    Issue date: 2/25/10 Section: News

Portland [Oregon] Police now consider the death of a cyclist who was run over on Nov. 4 by two cars at North Willamette Boulevard and Hodge Street a homicide, and are asking for the public's help in solving the case.

The victim, 32-year-old musician Kipp Crawford, was seen riding his bicycle eastbound on North Willamette Boulevard at approximately 2:30 a.m. when, for unknown reasons, his bike crashed and he landed in the westbound lane.

According to Detective Bryan Steed, it initially appeared that two drunk drivers killed Crawford.

"During that investigation," Steed said, "information came to light that led us to believe that Mr. Crawford may have been the victim of assault or robbery just prior to having been run over by the cars, which started the homicide investigation."

Evidence at the scene and the lack of other evidence led police to believe he was involved in a robbery or assault before he was hit, Steed said.

Witnesses told police they saw and heard an angry altercation between Crawford and the unidentified suspect, and that the suspect was standing over Crawford as he lay in the middle of the street. Detectives described the suspect as a white male in his 20s.

"This is a tough case. There's very little physical evidence," Steed said, explaining that the fact Crawford was struck by two cars made it impossible to determine whether he was attacked beforehand.

The police, in association with Crime Stoppers, are asking anyone with information that could lead to an arrest in this case to please come forward and contact Crime Stoppers at 503-823-4357 or leave a tip online at www.crimestoppersoforegon.com. They are offering a reward of up to $1,000 for tips that help solve the case.

"It hurts a lot and if anybody has anything to offer, any clues or leads or anything, it would help," said a tearful Vern Crawford, Kipp's father, at a press conference in downtown Portland Feb. 18. "It's not just for us but for his sister and a big circle of friends that he had here."

Moderator Moderator

OK, maybe he wasn't commuting, but...

Bicycle injuries keep Colo. governor in hospital
    By STEVEN K. PAULSON (AP) – 2 hours ago

DENVER — Doctors say Gov. Bill Ritter will stay in the hospital for three or four days recovering from broken ribs and a separated shoulder he suffered in a bicycle wreck.

Doctors said he can return to work as soon as he's released from the hospital if he's up to it.

Dr. Carlton Barnett, Ritter's surgeon, said Wednesday the governor suffered six broken ribs and a separated shoulder Tuesday when he ran into another cyclist and tumbled from his bike.

He said the governor is in fair condition at Denver Health Medical Center and will stay there for three or four days to make sure he takes his pain medication and to prevent possible complications, including pneumonia.

The governor is also undergoing rehabilitation, including breathing exercises.

Ritter was one of five bicyclists about 2 1/2 miles north of the governor's mansion shortly after 6 a.m. Tuesday when his wheel hit the wheel of a man in front of him. The other cyclist had a minor wrist injury and wasn't hospitalized, according to Ritter's spokesman, Evan Dreyer. Dreyer said the cyclists were going about 15 mph at the time.

None of the other cyclists were identified.

Dreyer said Ritter was still in charge of the state, but it wasn't clear when the governor would be able to return to work. Dreyer said several appointments were turned over Lt. Gov. Barbara O'Brien, including reading to fourth-graders for the national Read Across America Day.

Kalee Tilli, a Denver paramedic who took Ritter to the hospital in an ambulance, said the governor was sitting on the sidewalk when help arrived, talking with the other cyclists about the accident.

"He was clearly in a lot of pain," she said.

Barnett said Ritter should be well enough to throw out the first pitch on opening day April 9 if the Colorado Rockies invite him.

"He might have to move up closer to home plate," Barnett said.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Moderator Moderator

Bus hits biker, keeps going despite pleas from passengers

Moderator Moderator

Horror day for cyclists after Ambulance Victoria treats 14 in 24 hours

Horror day for cyclists after Ambulance Victoria treats 14 in 24 hours

AAP From: AAP March 04, 2010 6:31AM UPDATE 8.37am:

A CYCLIST has suffered serious head injuries after being hit by a car in Fitzroy this morning, while traffic has come to a standstill around the scene.
    The male cyclist, in his 20s, and a car were involved in the collision at the corner of Johnston and Brunswick Streets in Fitzroy.

A witness told 3AW a MICA unit and two other ambulances were on the scene.

The cyclist suffered serious head injuries, and a woman suffered minor injuries to her arm.

Traffic around the area has been brought to a standstill by the accident, with the intersection closed by emergency services.

Drivers are advised to avoid the area.

The crash comes after a horror 24-hours on Melbourne roads for cyclists, with ambulance officers treating 14 riders in the one day.

A six-year-old boy and an 87-year-old man were among the latest bike riders treated by paramedics, Ambulance Victoria said last night.

The young boy suffered bruising and swelling to his forehead and was taken to Frankston Hospital.

The elderly man called paramedics yesterday after coming off his bike on Tuesday and injuring his leg, Ambulance Victoria said.

The most seriously injured of all the patients was a 48-year-old man who came off his bike onto tram tracks in Commercial Road at Prahran just before 8.30am.

"He struck his head on the road but thankfully was wearing a helmet," intensive care paramedic Rohan Miniken said.

"The man has bruising and swelling to his side and may have fractured some ribs and a has a collapsed lung," he said.

He was taken to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition.

Ambulance Victoria said that last Wednesday paramedics in Melbourne treated six cyclists injured in 24 hours.

from http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225836776062

Moderator Moderator

California Bike Coalition, SF Bike Coalition opposing Cellphone Law for Cyclists

I'm surprised at the turn this is taking...now even some bike advocate groups are opposing the inclusion of cyclists in the cellphone ban. Even complaining it could reduce cycling...I think any credibility they had is going out the window.

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/03/03...-driving-bill/

No-Brakes Cougar
    Bus drivers in general are pretty bad (almost as bad as cab drivers), but SF Muni are the worst of all, no doubt. Horribly under qualified for anything even remotely related to transportation. I seriously think that Muni requires drivers to take LSD before starting their work day.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I'm surprised at the turn this is taking...now even some bike advocate groups are opposing the inclusion of cyclists in the cellphone ban. Even complaining it could reduce cycling...I think any credibility they had is going out the window.

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2010/03/03...-driving-bill/
    Totally asinine. I'm really surprised that SF Bike Coalition is backing this so feverishly. If you want to be treated like a vehicle you have to act like one and that includes following the same laws that motorist follow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Biking directions added to Google Maps

Google rolling out bike directions.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...ogle-maps.html

Moderator Moderator

Bikes taking over 2 center lanes of Pennsylvania Ave in DC

weirdo

Impeding traffic in Texas

2nd offense leads to a day in the can. This guy can`t win- first he gets Barney Fife cops, THEN he gets a Barney judge. Readers digest version first, then the jailbird`s blog (long, but very interresting).

http://let-him-ride.com/
    http://chipsea.blogspot.com/
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ It will be interesting to see how he makes out in the end. Pretty bad they kept him in jail 27 hours after his arrest for biking...but I'm sure the town was much safer without this hardened criminal on the streets.

mtbr member
    Texas cyclist case is troubling.

I have a bad feeling about the politics involved.

Moderator Moderator

No-Brakes Cougar
    "So according to NY1, a cyclist who was knocked into traffic by a car door 'struck' a bus? Note the tense of this verb. A 25,000 lb vehicle collides with a 57 year-old woman on a bike, and she is somehow the one who does the striking?" 1010WINS also reports that she was "hit by the bus after she struck the door."
    Of course. It's always the cyclist fault, isn't it?

weirdo
    The article isn`t very clearly written (author seems to be a rantist in training), but I didn`t see any blame pointed towards the cyclist. Stories like this really are a shame, but they make me appreciate not living in Metropolis or riding in city traffic very often.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

Lance Armstrong thinks Tony Kornheiser is an idiot

Tony Kornheiser went off on cyclists last week -- at one point even saying "run them over" -- and now Lance Armstrong wants to throw him under the bus.

Kornheiser's rant on ESPN Radio 980 was in reaction to the addition of bicycling lanes in Washington, D.C. It began as a discussion about sharing the road but soon disintegrated into an attack on anyone who rides on two wheels. Said Kornheiser of cyclists:

"And they all, my God, with their water bottles in the back, and their stupid hats, and their shiny shorts, they're the same kind of disgusting posers that in a snowstorm come out with cross-country skis on your block. Run them down."

Kornheiser later modified that to, "So you tap them. I'm not saying kill them."

That inspired two tweets from Armstrong today:

"Listening to Tony Kornheiser's comments/rant on ESPN radio re: cyclists. Disgusting, ignorant, foolish. What a complete f-ing idiot."

And:

"Not happy about Kornheiser's comments? Let them know @ESPNRadio980, @ptishow, and here http://www.espn980.com/info/contact_us.php"

Maybe we can get Kornheiser to do a timely followup, on what he thinks of Hannah Storm wearing biking apparel.

-- Tom Weir

weirdo

Pedaling hero...

Okay, it isn`t a commute story, but how about some cycling inspiration for this bummer thread? Kyle Bryant has an incurable progressive nerve disorder and can barely walk, but he`ll be captaining a team in this year`s RAAM. A lot of you might not know about that race, but it`s an anual coast to coast race across the US that`s run in a single stage- not like the TDF, where the weenies rest up in a hotel and sleep every night. For RAAM, clock starts when the ride starts and it keeps going until the race finishes, usually about 9 days later. This year`s race is from near Oceanside, CA to Anapolis.
    Kick some butt, Team FARA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSX8cPK47hk
    http://www.curefa.org/teamfararaam.html
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, that is off the charts

mtbr member
    When I'm told I'm nuts to have ridden 30, 50 , or 100 miles in a day, I trot out these guys. Or the mountain downhillers. Or mountain BMX. Is sanity a relative thing?

BTW new 03/31 posting on blogspot about another traffic pullover on chipseal (link in post 39). The police officer can justify impeding traffic by closing a lane in rush hour under heavy use with an improper pull over (no just cause). BUT other officers on the force can't tolerate a cyclist on a lightly travelled four lane road, as that is 'impeding'? That doesn't seem to fit, does it? That doesn't bring in the real potential of a rear ender because of the pull over! The officer knew his name though they had not been introduced. Seems to be skimming on the edge of harrassment, to me. If I were chipseal, I'd make very sure I wasn't leaving the least opening for a legitmate charge. And the fact he had a measuring tape with him demonstrates a certain awareness of that. Mind you, if that shoulder was safe I'd have used it. I assume it wasn't in his view, so it is a matter of who gets to decide what is safe for a cyclist. Someone who wants him put in his 'place' or the cyclist. Still sounds like power politics to me.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 04-01-2010 at 10:15 AM.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Okay, it isn`t a commute story, but how about some cycling inspiration for this bummer thread? Kyle Bryant has an incurable progressive nerve disorder and can barely walk, but he`ll be captaining a team in this year`s RAAM. A lot of you might not know about that race, but it`s an anual coast to coast race across the US that`s run in a single stage- not like the TDF, where the weenies rest up in a hotel and sleep every night. For RAAM, clock starts when the ride starts and it keeps going until the race finishes, usually about 9 days later. This year`s race is from near Oceanside, CA to Anapolis.
    Kick some butt, Team FARA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSX8cPK47hk
    http://www.curefa.org/teamfararaam.html
    I've always loved the idea of RAAM. It's like Cannonball Run, but with bicycles! There are also guys who race choppers across the country. Rigid, no chase truck, not even rubberized motor mounts!

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ There was an official RAAM vehicle and a few guys training for the RAAM at a century I did a couple years ago. I saw them at the start ...by the time I finished my 108 miles, they were probably 5 hours down the road on the way to tomorrow's century

mtbr member
    I knew a guy that did that kind of racing. His training rides were like 350 miles. The dude took off in the morning and wouldn't get back until the next afternoon. Pretty much rode the whole time other than a few stops at convenience stores for hostess fruit pies (it was the 80's, views on nutrition were a little different).

Bedwards Of The West
    That is freaking awesome.

Reminds me of John Stamstad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stamstad

I remember reading an article about him somewhere, where he's in a convenience store and he's unable to find a food that contains enough calories to keep him from bonking on one of his multi-day epics...he's eating straight easy cheese out of the bottle, and carries a water bottle full of salad oil on his bike, for instant calorie consumption.

weirdo
    Reminds me of John Stamstad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stamstad
    Whoa! I hadn`t heard of him.
    From Wiki:
    "Ultra-Marathon Cycling Association 24 Hour Off-Road World Record - 352 miles (566 km)"
    And...
    "1996 First solo entry and first solo finish of the 24 Hours of Canaan (He entered as a team using four variations of his name) and bested more than half of the teams."
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CommuterBoyThat is freaking awesome. Reminds me of John Stamstad.[/QUOTE]

Impressive. VERY Impressive! I didn't know of him, either.

Moderator Moderator
    I could do the easy cheese, but ick on the salad oil. I guess its better than Crisco.

mtbr member
    Soviet soldiers in WW II on starvation rations raided houses and ate lard right out of the container when they found it. It is hard to imagine being that calorie deprived. We are SO lucky.

Moderator Moderator

Cyclist killed by virtual pet

No-Brakes Cougar
    Oh gosh, I remember those things. That almost pre-dates cell phones! At least, the era in which "everybody" has them. Guess there's always been enough distractions to kill cyclists and pedestrians.

weirdo
    I must have missed keychain pets- never heard of them. And I still don`t have a cell phone, but might have to break down one of these days since pay phones are becoming harder to find every day.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator

U.S. Transportation Secretary on Bike & Drugs??

weirdo
    Maybe he`s on EPO?
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    But it's LaHood's view "that the federal government should not take the position that roads and trains are real transportation and walking and biking is not," Kienitz said. "His view is it's all real transportation, and we should consider it based on what benefits it can bring for the amount of money we spend."
    Seems reasonable to me. It's about time somebody "important" actually acted like they gave a sh!t. And where exactly does it say that this is going to have a crippling impact on the trucking industry? Or is that just baseless conjecture?

mtbr member
    Fear. Fear that trucking won't be as subsidized as it is currently. Possibly seeking more to be molllified. Crap as usual.

iRonic

Bet it's the railroads....

Be afraid! Be very Afraid!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/saqb4MtVm4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/saqb4MtVm4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Ron

weirdo
    All I know for sure is that when I order goodies I don`t want to hear that they might be a while in transit because somebody is pedaling my new tires or whatever from the port.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    We subsidized railroads when the robber barons were in control. Now we subsidize trucking. A bit fairer competition would sort out truck/rail. Bikes have their place but not as more than personal cargo vehicles. I don't want to bike in Beijing-like crouds of cyclists.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I don't think it's been even implied by Secretary LaHood that bicycles will take over the shipping duties and majority of federal subsidies from trucks. It just a case of the usual partisan bullsh!t, us versus them, American political arena as a football game, we're all American unless you disagree with my politics, etc.... OK, I'll cool it with the ranting. I'll try not to turn this thread into a typical internet news comment box.

~Disc~Golf~
    kinda old - so it may not qualify as "news"...

mtbr member
    thx for sharing highdell-- I had never seen that vid before-- then again-- don't live in WI either!

mtbr member
    Check April 22 a page or two down and NPR link.

http://fastlane.dot.gov/

More from LaHood. Thought you'd like to know. Check the NPR link, too.

PS. Today, I doubled our town's known commuters. Every turn of the wheel counts.

Moderator Moderator

Ex-Officer Convicted of Lying About Confrontation With Cyclist

Moderator Moderator
    Video starring avid biker John Leguizamo. In it, he encourages everyone in New York to "go out there and buy yourself the cheapest, crappiest bike..." Also includes advice on protecting the family jewels.

http://gothamist.com/2010/05/06/with...n_john_leg.php

Moderator Moderator
    Cyclist on interstate struck by truck

Police believe alcohol might have been a factor when a 57-year-old Port Huron man was hit by a truck while riding his bicycle Monday morning on Interstate 94. Rescue crews responded to the scene on eastbound I-94 near Griswold Road in Port Huron Township about 2:30 a.m., according to a statement from the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department. The driver of the truck hauling aircraft and auto parts from Fort Loramie, Ohio to Tecumseh, Ontario, said he didn't see the man on the bike until it was too late to stop. Police do not believe speed was a factor; they believe the cyclist was using alcohol. The cyclist was taken to Port Huron Hospital with injuries not believed to be life threatening. Deputy Steve Campau, the sheriff's department's public information officer, said it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the interstate. The incident remains under investigation. Police are not releasing the man's name.

weirdo
    Cop V Cyclist:
    Weird. Too bad the video didn`t continue with Act II, the arrest. I didn`t catch that one when it was "fresh", so thanks for the link.

~Disc~Golf~
    RE: NY critical mass pig trial:
    "Mr. Long took the witness stand, and the bulk of the cross-examination focused on his background, which he admitted included frequent marijuana use and causing the death of a man in a traffic accident. "
    What the fukk does that have to do with anything?

No-Brakes Cougar
    RE: NY critical mass pig trial:
    "Mr. Long took the witness stand, and the bulk of the cross-examination focused on his background, which he admitted included frequent marijuana use and causing the death of a man in a traffic accident. "
    What the fukk does that have to do with anything?
    They're trying to discredit his testimony by showing faults in his character. And some people wonder why lawyers are so hated.

mtbr member
    They're trying to discredit his testimony by showing faults in his character. And some people wonder why lawyers are so hated.
    Sometimes juries are not very likable either.

I saw no hand or signal to stop. No whistle. No sign to pull over. The cop got off very lucky on the assault charge IMHO. Been interesting if it had been someone with connections.

I'd say from the video he was very eligible for a civil suit. The conviction for lying means the tape will need to speak for what actually happened. Unless the cyclist refused a previous request to pull over by another patrolman creating just cause, this is hooliganism, uniform, or no.

weirdo
    Seems to be headlining the bike blogs today- bicycle ban in small CO town:
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15298056

Moderator Moderator
    Wow! That's pretty unbelievable. They need a case of "bicycling is not a crime" bumper stickers.

mtbr member
    Sounds like inadequate infrastructure to support the casino tourism and the council is too cheap to provide a bike lane/path and/or afraid of lawsuits from the busses hitting cyclists coming to the council.

If there is no shoulder, do cyclists walk their bikes on the road? Be interesting to look up Colorodo pedestrian rules. A lot of bikes being walked is a LOT slower than when ridden.

They are also depriving their kids of bike riding. Dumb solution.

No-Brakes Cougar
    O_O Wow.... isn't that unconstitutional? Or just incredibly asinine?

Moderator Moderator
    O_O Wow.... isn't that unconstitutional? Or just incredibly asinine?
    Yes!

mtbr member

Pa. bicyclist on cross-country cancer ride killed

(06-24) 06:01 PDT Ringtown, Pa. (AP) --

A 19-year-old Pennsylvania man riding his bicycle across the country to raise awareness and money for breast cancer research was struck and killed by an SUV in New Mexico.

Officials say John Anczarski, of Ringtown, Pa., died Tuesday of injuries suffered a day earlier in New Laguna, N.M., about 50 miles west of Albuquerque.

Anczarski, a University of Colorado engineering student, and three friends called their project "The Pink Pedal." The group said it had raised several thousand dollars for cancer research. They left Pennsylvania on May 23 and expected to reach San Diego next month.

Police say the investigation into the crash has been turned over to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, because the accident occurred on tribal land. No charges have been filed.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...4D14.DTL&tsp=1

weirdo
    That sucks. A bit more of the details here:
    http://republicanherald.com/news/rin...exico-1.860643

mtbr member
    Yeah, it sucks. Welcome to my nighmare.

You pray they keep it 3 feet to your left. It is hard to be vigilant with the mirror so you can be prepared to head to the ditch for every car. We had several police officers on a police bike ride killed in Indiana when their chase vehicle (a 1 ton van) was struck by a long wheelbase straight truck and forced over the nearest riders. So even the 'saftey' of a buffering chase vehicle is no guarantee. You do the best you can, or you hang up the bike.

~Disc~Golf~
    there's a million ways to die

mtbr member

Chip Seal convicted

Is Texas Justics and oxymoron when applied to cyclists? A follow up to the cyclist charged with impeding traffic then endangerment (presumably of self):

http://cycledallas.blogspot.com/2010...-reckless.html

Thought you'd like to know.

Bedwards Of The West
    Is Bike Commuter News the same as Commuter Bike News? Because in a major victory for commuters everywhere, UCI has changed the cyclocross rule banning disc brakes in international competition:
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/disc-brake...ci-debate-2010

The implications for potential commuter bike builds are huge, as most major manufacturers must at least now consider offering their high-end cyclocross frames and forks with disc tabs. This could even lead to the development of hydraulic road levers...

namagomi
    Is Bike Commuter News the same as Commuter Bike News? Because in a major victory for commuters everywhere, UCI has changed the cyclocross rule banning disc brakes in international competition:
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/disc-brake...ci-debate-2010

The implications for potential commuter bike builds are huge, as most major manufacturers must at least now consider offering their high-end cyclocross frames and forks with disc tabs. This could even lead to the development of hydraulic road levers...
    Not sure if it's good for the sport, but it is good news for commuters and the cx based industry. Lets hope they don't shy away from fender mountings!

mtbr member
    From Commuterboys link here:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/uci-rules-big-season

I quote: "The Committee reduced the maximum width of tires from 35mm to 33mm, meaning some riders will have to adapt to slightly narrower tires for next season. Although not many UCI racers compete on clinchers, this rule could impact those who race with wider tires. It’s important to note that most 700×35c clinchers are undersized and do not measure out to be more than 33c on a standard road rim, according to our comprehensive tire reviews."

For commuting, I wish they hadn't. My 32's are 31.9 mm on 19 mm rims, and my 35 mm on 23 mm rims are 35, or close enough. A nice commuter derived from a cross designed with a true 35 mm tire in mind would be nice. Oh well.

PS I hope that covers my butt wrt copyright.

Moderator Moderator

Truck driver inconvenienced, wants arrogant unlawful cyclists off the road

Burlington VT Free Press
    My Turn:
    Arrogant, naive bicyclists dangerous on roads By Bill Russell • Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Comments(104)
    I would like to thank Mike Lavery for his comments Sept. 26 on cyclists on our roads (“Bicyclist ad*vocates being selfish, petty”). (note -I've been unable to find this gem) I’m a small earth contractor in Underhill. On a daily basis I encounter several times, dangerous meetings with cyclists while driving a 60,000 pound load, 10-wheel gravel truck.

Arrogant is the best word I can come up with, along with naive, for cyclists' unlawful operation of their bikes. At times I have to slow to almost a stop to avoid an accident -- this is where the naive part comes into play as well as arrogant. Most of the cyclists I encounter don't have a "clue" of the dangers at hand.

We drivers can choose three ways to navigate in these scary dilemmas: 1. Cross the yellow line and force over or hit the oncoming vehicle; 2. Run over or shove the cyclist off into the guard rails or over the bank; or 3. Slow to near a stop and then slowly shift our heavy loaded trucks back up to speed after avoiding them, which by the way takes time, extra fuel and holds up other traffic. Obviously I take the third and will continue to do so, but it will someday have to stop. Roads like Vermont 15, River Road, Pleasant Valley and others just simply do not have the room needed for both.
    It is sad that it will come to a dramatic end when some politician's child or family gets severely hurt or killed in a situation where another driver took or was forced to take ways number 1 or 2.

It's mandatory for motorcycle operators to take special safety courses and we as truck drivers take driving courses and have to maintain our commercial drivers licenses, as well as need to be tested and licensed to use the highways. But the bikers can simply ride along our roads without any safety training, licensing or insurance at all, say nothing of sharing the road costs.

The state of Vermont should mark this note and others about the dangers they are condoning, allowing cyclists to share our busy "outdated roadways." As Mr. Lavery stated, "Isn't it funny that motorists that pay have a 'privilege' to use the roads and for bikes it is a 'right'? Lets take back our roads."

Bill Russell lives in Underhill.

mtbr member
    Why am I so unsurprised?

~Disc~Golf~
    Burlington VT Free Press
    My Turn:
    Arrogant, naive bicyclists dangerous on roads By Bill Russell • Wednesday, October 20, 2010 ....
    infuriating...

weirdo
    Aw, man- I hate it when I get home and find the remains of a battered bicycle stuck under my car.

http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/09/...ent-12745.html
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    That is pretty scary! And I must say that when I have been driving & unable to avoid a collision with a deer (which refuse to use blinkies, relective wear, or stay toward the right side of the road), that I always knew exactly what I was hitting. I don't get how you can just mow anything over and not even see it.

mtbr member
    That is pretty scary! And I must say that when I have been driving & unable to avoid a collision with a deer (which refuse to use blinkies, relective wear, or stay toward the right side of the road), that I always knew exactly what I was hitting. I don't get how you can just mow anything over and not even see it.
    Haven't hit a cyclist (touch wood). If deer would stay at the side of the road they wouldn't be such an issue. I have done $3500 damage to a months old Honda Civic hitting an 8-point buck (dressed out at 195 pounds!) that bounded onto I71 landing its leap 3 feet in front of my left headlight (dark overcast night, no glimpse before hand. Just: Deer head! and Crunch.) Yeah, you see it. If the driver in question never hit a deer, or never rode in a car when it hit a deer, she would not know their tawny coloring shows up very well at short range in the headlights! Now if you were trying to dial a phone number, or swapping out a CD, or other wise not looking, it is easy not to see what you hit.

You are also required to stop in most states if you hit someone's dog. Then there is vehicle damage. It makes one heck of a noise to do that much damage. Wouldn't you be concerned about whether it is safe to drive the car? So it doesn't pass the 'guilty or so stupid she may as well be' test. Negligence, incompetence, or criminal, does it matter? Makes you wonder if the woman is covering for the actual driver who should not have been driving.

Bike had no front light mount I could see. 5:00 AM Sunday morning = dark. Ninja rider?

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    ...Makes you wonder if the woman is covering for the actual driver..
    humm...I think BrianMKojak has an interesting point of view...

this cases are just sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    humm...I think BrianMKojak.
    Not that bald (yet). Don't like suckers much. Who loves ya?

has an interesting point of view....
    Too many detective novels....

this cases are just sad.
    The every dark cloud has a silver lining: Good thing the cyclist was thrown clear. She wasn't under the car when it got home.

So senseless, so preventable, so sad, and such a waste.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 11-07-2010 at 08:54 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    ... Good thing the cyclist was thrown clear. ...
    why?

mtbr member
    why?
    Not to put too fine a point on it, being sandpapered to death against the pavement while trapped under an SUV, is among my last choices as a way to buy the farm. There was a recent pedestrian who was not discovered until the drunk driver got home. Don't remember the details.

Moderator Moderator

Tickets Issued for "Dooring"

News Don't Door Cyclists: It's the Law Posted by Benjamin Sutton on Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM

After consecutive months in which twenty-somethings have been killed as a result of being "doored" when motorists opened the door of a parked car without looking, sending them into the paths of large vehicles like buses and trucks (one in Clinton Hill, the other in East Harlem), City Room takes a closer look at the actual laws on the books about proper door-opening. Turns out there is a Vehicle and Traffic Law that pertains specifically to the opening and closing of vehicle doors. It gets phrased differently—in the case of Krystal Francis, whose door sent 23-year-old Jasmine Herron under the wheels of a bus on Atlantic Avenue, the charge was “opening and closing vehicle doors,” but for the driver whose door sent 27-year-old Marcus Ewing into the path of a truck on East 120th Street on Friday morning, the summons called it “unsafely exiting a vehicle.” Confusingly, those mean the same thing...

A spokesperson for the New York State DMV shared an excerpt from Section 1214 of the State Vehicle and Traffic Law with CityRoom, and it reads:

Opening and closing vehicle doors. No person shall open the door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

Because it's hard to determine such subjective things as how much time is required for passengers to get in and out of a car, the law can usually only be enforced when an officer sees it being broken. Or, when its flouting results in a car accident and/or the death of a cyclist. As of Friday 147 tickets, which run up to $150 a pop, had been handed out across the state this year (compared to 179 for all of 2009) for improperly opening or closing vehicle doors, although New York City doesn't keep a tally of such cases.

As someone who's come terrifyingly close to being doored countless times, but never taken the plunge, it's something that I'm constantly aware of while biking, trying to spot silhouettes in parked cars and curbed cabs in case a driver or passenger is moving to get out. I'll also say that for all the antipathy between cyclists and cab drivers, the latter tend to be very good about warning passengers not to open their doors if a cyclist is approaching—presumably because of the fines and lawsuits that might result. In summation, "to door": officially a verb, officially against the law.

weirdo
    As of Friday 147 tickets, which run up to $150 a pop, had been handed out across the state this year (compared to 179 for all of 2009) for improperly opening or closing vehicle doors, although New York City doesn't keep a tally of such cases.
    Yay, NY! The thought of $150 leaving your checking account ought to be enough to start some neurons firing.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator

Bike commuter gets 6 1/2 years

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — An Alaska man has been sentenced to prison for robbing a bank and fleeing the scene on a bicycle, which he then crashed into a police car.

Christopher Todd Mayer of Anchorage was sentenced Friday to 6 1/2 years in federal prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Kyle French said the 47-year-old man robbed a Wells Fargo branch bank in Anchorage on May 27 and took $1,731.

Mayer was arrested a short distance from the bank after speeding away on a bike.

Police said Mayer crashed his bike into a patrol car, slid across the hood and took off running. He was detained half a block away about five minutes after the robbery.

mtbr member

And the moral of the story...

...is that though cycling pays off in so many ways, crime isn't one. (Crime STILL doesn't pay.)

Follow up on previous story...

Did not realize it was hours after she got home, until she called. You have to suspect too drowsy or too drunk to be driving, and her not reporting and leaving the scene was in essence destroying evidence. Apparently in many states, you can run over cyclists killing and maiming them with little risk. It is lucky we aren't required to wear Bull's eyes!

Apparently, pedestrians and kids in strollers are fair game, too
    Last edited by BrianMc; 11-07-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Moderator Moderator

Bike-commuting judge returns to work 3 mos after hit by truck

Vermont judge returns to job after being struck by a truck while bicyclingSunday, November 7, 2010

BRATTLEBORO -- A Vermont judge who presides over courts in two counties is back at work after he was hit by a pickup while riding his bicycle.

Sixty-one-year-old John Wesley presides over Superior Court in Windham and Bennington counties. He often commutes on his bicycle and was struck Aug. 6 while heading home. Police reports indicate the driver didn't see him because of the glare of the setting sun and that the driver received a citation.

Wesley, who had surgery to his leg, told the Brattleboro Reformer that other judges acted as backup for hearings, as did members of the Vermont Bar Association. He said he was able to read files at home electronically on some cases.

mtbr member

'Pretty messed up' - reverse Good Samaritan

http://somafab.blogspot.com/2010/11/...lenall-on.html

Check out news footage. Low rent to take it, sub basement to not return it. Makes you think about the electronic pet tags.

Kudos to SOMA for helping out.

weirdo
    Good God! Who could ever have the nerve to do that?!?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Well, I thought it was real nice of Soma to give him a free frameset... Ohhh! You mean the heartless 'bastid'!

Well, don' take no nerve if'n ya hain't got no heart!

Even with cops present, if you just walk the bike off, like you are moving it to a safer place (but out of sight behind the fire truck) or like it's yours, the poor schmuck being tied to the gurney (because both knee caps are fractured, one of the most painful of breaks, I understand) isn't likely to get a view of you or be able to say "Hey! That's my bike!" with an O2 mask clamping down on his face.

( In my accident decades ago, I wasn't in pain and got a promise from an officer that police would wait for Kathryn to get the remains of my bike and appraise her of what hospital they took my body to (the message delivered to her was almost that bad, public interaction wasn't their long suit).

I assume he had to have OTB'd and hit knees first into the vehicle or on the road, for the bike to obviously be so little damaged (no pancaked/crushed front wheel splayed fork legs, etc.

Real good job of the responding officers to secure the accident scene and evidence. Barney Fife at work. I mean, just because the cyclist is living as the ambulance heads out, that is no guarantee he doesn't get a blod clot as a result of the injuries. If a cyclist dies of complications of an accident with an at-fault driver's vehicle, that bike would be evidence in a motor manslaughter case. I hope someone's Police butt got kicked up to about their Adam's apple by the Powers that be. I mean, just how hard is it to keep bystanders from walking off with evidence from an accident scene? Makes the whole department look like the Keystone Kops, not Kansas City Kops..

If I were the cyclist, I'd submit the rest of the bill to rebuild the bike to the Police Department. Maybe have the media along when you submit the bill...
    Last edited by BrianMc; 11-23-2010 at 06:24 AM.

~Disc~Golf~
    OMGWTFBBQ!!

(random lower case words like target-practice to make my caps stand )

Moderator Moderator

Good Samaritan's Bike not Safe Either....

Bike stolen from good samaritan (Bristol UK)
    ADDED: Today 10:22

Police are investigating the theft of a bike from a cyclist who had stopped to help someone.

The theft happened at around 8.20am on Friday 26th November, 2010. A cyclist had stopped on Wells Road, Bristol, to help a man who was having a seizure on the side of the road. Whilst she was doing this someone stole her Carrera mountain bike.

An investigation has begun to identify the person responsible for the theft.

Speaking about the theft, PC Gareth Davies said: "This incident happened on the side of a busy road during rush hour. I am sure people in the area would have noticed the incident and may have seen the bike being stolen or being ridden away from the area. The victim had stopped to help a man in need and someone has taken advantage of her compassion to steal her bike. This was a heartless act and we will do everything we can to identify the person responsible and make them face the consequences of their actions."

Anyone who has information about the incident or has been offered a black Carrera mountain bike for sale in suspicions circumstances is asked to contact Avon and Somerset Police on 0845 456 7000. Alternatively, phone the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555111. They never ask your name or trace your call.

mtbr member
    I hope the recovery is successful, but most officers here find it hard to tell an ultralight road racer from a Pugsley. So when the owner of Yellow Jersey saw a bike reported stolen from his store, rolling by, he caught the guy and took the bike back, only to be arrested by two officers who saw the 'theft' on their donut and coffee break across the street. Ironic. It got straightened out. Had to be embarrassing for the cops. I mean, the bike had been ridden in the open for a couple of weeks and no officers found it, but they were right there in the nick of time to interfere with the owner's recovery.

Moderator Moderator
    Study Finds Bike Commuters Suffering Variety Of InjuriesRob Manning |
    November 15, 2010 | Portland, OR

Nearly one in five bike commuters complained of experiencing at least a minor injury on the streets of Portland. Rob Manning reports on a year-long study that’s just been released.

More than 17 percent of bike commuters surveyed for an Oregon Health and Science University study reported an injury while cycling between fall 2007 and summer 2008.

But only five percent said the injuries were severe enough to require medical attention.

The study’s authors said the results should fuel investments in safer streets for bikes.

Mark Lear supervises bike safety at the Portland Bureau of Transportation.

Mark Lear: “I think it is a strong call to action that we really need to pay attention, not only to the new infrastructure that we’re adding to the system, but to how we’re maintaining the existing infrastructure.”

Lear says potholes and piles of leaves that may be inconvenient for cars can pose safety hazards for bicyclists.

But Lear says overall – the study’s findings that a bike commuter could expect a minor injury once every five years, and a serious injury once every twenty, aren’t that surprising.

© 2010 OPB

mtbr member
    Meah! I've learned my lesson the hard way about leaves/ man hole covers/ and especially wooden bridges. I wonder if a cyclist ever got rammed by a deer! I hope not- but I try not to spook them when I'm commuting home in the dark alone in the woods. Just me and the deer!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234
    Meah! I've learned my lesson the hard way about leaves/ man hole covers/ and especially wooden bridges. I wonder if a cyclist ever got rammed by a deer! I hope not- but I try not to spook them when I'm commuting home in the dark alone in the woods. Just me and the deer!
    http://gawker.com/5185628/lets-all-m...related-injury

mtbr member
    that was great! thx.

weirdo
    I thought it was going to be our own Commuter Boy in the deer incedent.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    [B]Study Finds Bike Commuters Suffering Variety Of Injuries...More than 17 percent of bike commuters surveyed for an Oregon Health and Science University study reported an injury while cycling between fall 2007 and summer 2008. ...Lear says potholes and piles of leaves that may be inconvenient for cars can pose safety hazards for bicyclists. © 2010 OPB
    Obviously doesn't include barked shins and chainring gashes.

Potholes can be sneaky especially with some leaf litter or dirt to hide them. Like a miniature pit trap for cyclists.

Deer as in Stag in rut: avoid, they are a little crazy then. A dislocated shoulder is a better option than meeting the points of a big buck up close and personal.

Moderator Moderator

Do you commute before breakfast?

From the NY Times

December 15, 2010, 12:01 am Phys Ed:
    The Benefits of Exercising Before Breakfast
    By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS

The holiday season brings many joys and, unfortunately, many countervailing dietary pitfalls. Even the fittest and most disciplined of us can succumb, indulging in more fat and calories than at any other time of the year. The health consequences, if the behavior is unchecked, can be swift and worrying. A recent study by scientists in Australia found that after only three days, an extremely high-fat, high-calorie diet can lead to increased blood sugar and insulin resistance, potentially increasing the risk for Type 2 diabetes. Waistlines also can expand at this time of year, prompting self-recrimination and unrealistic New Year’s resolutions.

But a new study published in The Journal of Physiology suggests a more reliable and far simpler response. Run or bicycle before breakfast. Exercising in the morning, before eating, the study results show, seems to significantly lessen the ill effects of holiday Bacchanalias.

full story at http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...me&ref=general

Moderator Moderator

How do you "share a lane" with a 26-wheeler?

CHP: Alpine Road fatal collision caused by cyclist's 'unsafe' turn into big-rigBy Jesse Dungan
    Daily News Staff Writer

Posted: 12/21/2010 05:30:14 AM PST
    Updated: 12/21/2010 07:29:06 AM PST

A crash that killed a 47-year-old bicyclist from Los Altos Hills last month was caused by an unsafe turn she made as she headed down Alpine Road alongside a 26-wheel truck, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The Nov. 4 collision with the big rig claimed the life of Lauren Ward, a mother of two and an active community member who friends and family have described as an avid bicyclist. The crash was the third fatal collision for the big rig's driver, Gabriel Manzur Vera.

In each of the crashes, Vera was determined not to be at fault.

According to a redacted CHP report released Monday night, Vera was driving his truck west on Alpine Road in the right lane between 10 and 15 mph at about 3:40 p.m. and Ward was to the immediate left of the vehicle sharing the lane. Ward, who was riding at an unknown speed, "unsafely turned" her Trek bicycle and fell to her right side, the report states.

The big rig continued and its tires struck Ward, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 33-page report shows that Ward caused the crash by making the turn, said CHP spokesman Art Montiel, but investigators were unable to determine why she turned.

"We know it was caused by an unsafe turn," he said. "We don't know and we may never know what actually caused her to make that unsafe turn."

The report included a summary of the investigation and statements Vera made to authorities.

The trucker told the CHP the collision happened as he was moving from the right westbound lane into a lane that turned right onto southbound Interstate Highway 280. Vera told the CHP he had his right blinker on and was looking at his right rear view mirror, but when he looked forward he heard a "bump."

Vera realized he had collided with Ward, pulled over and called 911.

He told the CHP he thought another vehicle passed his truck on the left shortly after he pulled away from the stop sign at the northbound Highway 280 on-ramp. But he couldn't recall how much time passed between the point the vehicle drove past and when he felt the bump.

Montiel said investigators never found any eye witnesses to the crash and couldn't rule out the possibility that another vehicle may have been indirectly involved in the collision.

The redacted report didn't include sections titled "cause" and "recommendations," which Montiel said were withheld for legal reasons.

However, the investigation shows that Vera was not at fault, he said.

"We can conclude there was nothing that the truck driver did that caused her to fall into the pathway of the moving truck," Montiel said.

Vera was also involved in a fatal crash in 2007 in Santa Cruz. In that collision, his 26-wheel truck struck a popular Pacific Collegiate School teacher named John Myslin at the intersection of Mission and Bay streets. Vera was making a right turn when Myslin tried to pass him on the right.

Police determined Vera wasn't at fault in that crash.

Myslin's parents, however, sued and in March, Vera and Randazzo Enterprises settled the wrongful death suit for $1.5 million.

Vera's first fatal crash happened Dec. 31, 2003, on Highway 1 in Monterey County, according to CHP records. He was driving on Highway 1 through Moss Landing when another vehicle driven by Annette McDaniel, 53, reportedly crossed into oncoming lanes and struck his truck head-on. The Monterey County Coroner's Office reported at the time McDaniel had been weaving in and out of her lane and crossed the center line before colliding with the 26-wheeler. She was killed in the crash.

Ward's family has hired an attorney, John Feder, to conduct a separate investigation into the latest crash. Prior to the release of the CHP report Monday, Feder said he believed the agency's Multidisciplinary Accident Investigations Teams was also possibly investigating the collision.

Ward's husband, Bob, declined to speak with a reporter when reached by phone Monday.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 12-21-2010 at 10:55 AM.

~Disc~Golf~
    3 fatal collisions?
    I'm calling BS on the CHP's "analysis"

weirdo
    Oh, wow. Another story that I sure wish more was known about. Besides ~How do you share a lane with a beast of a truck?, I`d like to know why a rider would ~Unsafely turn her Trek bicycle under that truck`s wheels. None of it makes sense. I just hope her kids are hanging in there as well as possible.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Firstly, we are all to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

Secondly, rare events DO happen. The first was a car reported to be weaving left of center. Without any more info, I see no reason to suspect he could have done much to reduce the severity, though he might well have been able to do so. Entirely plausible he is without fault.

The second one sounds fishy. If he passed the cyclist then turned especially without a turn signal, he is not guiltless. On the other hand the cyclist may have seen him swing left ot clear his rear axle for the right turn and though he was going left, or was just stupid. The settlement means nothing. It is often far cheaper to settle than fight in court. Inconclusive. Awfully stupid to get hooked by a semi, but plausible.

This last one though...she is in the right turn lane by the sounds of it, and he is moving into it to turn right one presumes, as he was slow enough (by his statement) to say that he was. I suppose he could have startled her and she looked over her shoulder or he crouded her and she panicked, lost balance, tried to catch it "the unsafe turn" and fell. I wonder if the CHP investigator(s) cycle? She could have hit a pothole for all we know. Maybe she just pulled off the shoulder/sidewalk. What I find suspicious is that the driver sounds like he did not even know she was there in the lane until he ran over her. Not what I would call 'not at fault' unless she had just entered the lane as he was. We don't have the rest of the report. So we can't put the 'busted' sign on this but the plausibility seems seems thin. Lousy way to commit suicide, too.

mtbr member
    This story is hard to believe. Did she not see a 32 wheel truck to her right?

More here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=664251

Moderator Moderator

"...you can be very uncomfortable if ice forms next to your skin"

Weather can't stop Edmonton's hardcore cyclists By Nick Lees, edmontonjournal.com January 14, 2011 •Story•Photos ( 1 )

Heavy snow and gusty winds blanketed the Capital region make commuting conditions difficult especially near the river like this cyclist on the High Level bridge in Edmonton.Photograph by: Shaughn Butts, edmontonjournal.comRebekah Rooney decided she needed a bike to get around and went to an Edmonton Bicycle Commuters’ (EBC) 24-hour bike “repairathon” party three years ago.

“It was a huge party and I didn’t even know how to change a tire,” says Rooney, a doctoral candidate developing tools to measure the success of wetlands reclamation.

“But I learned everything I needed to know and left with a bike. Now I cycle every day.”

Rooney means every day. It was -30 C with the wind chill Thursday and she still cycled to work. “One of the major problems is over-dressing in the winter months,” says Rooney, 31. “If you sweat and then cool down, you can be very uncomfortable if ice forms next to your skin.

“It’s important to dress in layers and estimate pretty accurately what the wind chill might be when you cross the High Level Bridge.”

Steve Andersen, 30, a university computer technician, says he often jokes with people on the elevator who can’t believe he cycled to work that he is warmer than them.

“The temperature was -25 C when I set off for work today, I had to open my hoodie to cool off,” he says. “The heart is a great heater and it’s easy to work up a sweat.”

EBC president Chris Chan, a computer engineer, says a 2005-06 city survey reported 25,000 bike trips were made each weekday, and that was up 10,000 in a decade.

“We don’t know the number of cyclist who pedal to work through the winter, but there has been a dramatic increase since 2005,” he says.

“We’ve been running winter cycling seminars and do-it-yourself studded tire courses for several years and their popularity has exploded. Seminars are overbooked and we had to turn people away from our last studded tire course.

“I wouldn’t be surprised to learn the number of cyclists commuting in winter and summer have doubled in the last few years.”

Karly Coleman, 42, a mountain Equipment Co-op sustainability coordinator, says 10 years ago winter commuters all knew one another and yelled greetings as they passed.

“It’s cool not to know everyone,” she says. “There’s no question female cyclists are on the increase and they are a good indicator of how safe they feel in a neighbourhood.”

Coleman has been winter cycling for 10 years and began when she set cycling across Canada as a goal and didn’t want to buy a wind trainer to train indoors. It paid off.

“Friends and I rode 7,000 kilo-metres across the country in four months in 1995,” she says.

Many might consider the bicycling habits of Stephanie Gregorwich a bit over the top.

Gregorwich, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s manager of volunteer resources, rode her bicycle on Dec. 13, 2009, when the temperature at Edmonton’s International Airport was at -46.1 C, making it second only to a Siberian weather station as the coldest place in the world that day.

But many cyclists have ignored the cold to cycle in extreme sub-zero temperatures. Gregorwich and her Dutch-born husband Remkes Kooistra, a professor at King’s University College and a bicycle commuter, are perhaps better known for their wedding celebrations at North Glenora Community Hall.

“We did a lap of honour after the ceremony on a borrowed tandem with a Just Married sign on the back,” says Gregorwich. “Tin cans trailed behind us and friends on their bikes formed an honour guard.”

The couple has never owned a car.

Alison Murray, 30, a civil litigation lawyer, is a rookie winter cyclist and says people already know not to come into her office at certain times, she says,

“Colleagues know I am changing,” says Murray. “I take a suit or something similar to my work with me every day on my bike and bring one home. And I keep dress shoes at work.”

Her shirts might not always look precisely pressed and she has to plan ahead of meetings where arriving in a ski jacket might not be appropriate.

“Cycling when it’s slushy out is worse than pedalling in the snow,” she says. “Dry cleaning bills rise significantly.”

Murray used to live close to the university and her former office, but she found herself working later in her present law office and decided to cycle to work.

“It’s hard to catch a woman on a bike,” she says. “I find I’m also really busy and it can be hard to work in a visit to the gym or pool.”

Student Derek Pluim, 25, says he only uses his car to visits his parents in Ardrossan and pedals around town at all other times.

“The cycling trail on Saskatchewan Drive hadn’t been completely cleaned today and was tough in places,” he says. “Pedalling in loose snow, which we call brown sugar, is akin to pedalling in sand. It’s easy to slide out.”

Jointly, the cyclists made these points.

Drivers should be patient when they see a cyclist unable to ride close to the curb because of snow. It’s one less car pumping pollution into the city’s atmosphere.

Prompt and persistent clearing of snow on multi-use trails helps cyclists and runners. And cyclists do appreciate money spent on clearing snow.

Snow clearers: No windrows in bike lanes or blocking ramps please.

Employers please consider showers in the workplace.

“We can help anyone acquire an inexpensive bike good enough to commute on,” says Chan. “Our seminars help cyclists keep their bikes in shape year round and we can help plan a route.

“It’s also worth remembering exercise in the fresh air helps manage stress, aids sound sleep and helps weight control.”

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Weath...#ixzz1B9o8bAKy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Bike Commuter News-edmunton.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bus drivers in general are pretty bad (almost as bad as cab drivers), but SF Muni are the worst of all, no doubt. Horribly under qualified for anything even remotely related to transportation. I seriously think that Muni requires drivers to take LSD before starting their work day.
    I would love to defend (School) bus drivers in this case, but I can't. I am one and have heard many of my fellow drivers complaining about cyclists on the road. Besides me there are a few that ride along our main lines we use to go to and from different schools. One time a cyclist even chewed out one of our drivers because the driver didn't give them enough room. The Bike lane disappeared and she thought it was ok to just cut him off. Don't worry though, I always remind them that thier favorite youngin' rides his bike and also that we have a right to be there. Treat us like Cars. Usually they just wait for me to leave the room to complain now.

During one of Our continuing education classes (we have to take them every 2 year in MI to maintain our "S", or school bus, endorsement) the instructor just about went off about cyclists. I could tell he was winding up. Then he asked if there were any cyclists in the room and I spoke up and he just said "oh, well, I guess I won't go into that" in a very sarcastic tone. He trains a majority of the area bus drivers. I've also witnessed some of those school bus drivers motioning for me to get on the side walk.

Moderator Moderator
    Let the Sunshine in, but Not the Harmful Rays
    By LESLEY ALDERMAN
    Published: January 14, 2011 NY Times

Skiing on fresh snow, skating on reflective ice or hiking at high altitudes can be harder on your eyes than a day at the beach. Snow, as many East Coast readers may have noticed this week, reflects nearly 80 percent of the sun’s rays. Dry beach sand? Just 15 percent.

Most of us already know that ultraviolet (UV) rays can cause skin cancer and other problems. But that’s not all there is to worry about. “Most people don’t appreciate the damage that UV rays can do to their eyes,” said Dr. Rachel J. Bishop, a clinical ophthalmologist at the National Eye Institute in Bethesda, Md.

Winter or summer, hours of bright sunlight can burn the surface of the eye, causing a temporary and painful condition known as photokeratitis. Over time, unprotected exposure can contribute to cataracts, as well as cancer of the eyelids and the skin around the eyes.

UV exposure also may increase the risk of macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in people over age 65. While cataracts can be removed surgically, there is no way to reverse damage to the macula, the area in the center of the retina.

Worried? Consider this article license to buy yourself a new pair of UV-protective shades. But don’t let price and style be your only guides.

“Some cheap sunglasses are great, some expensive ones are not,” said Dr. Lee R. Duffner, an ophthalmologist in Hollywood, Fla., and a clinical correspondent for the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In fact, some knockoff designer frames may do your eyes more harm than if you’d worn no glasses at all.

Below, some advice on how to find sunglasses that will protect your eyes without plundering your wallet.

READ THE FINE PRINT Prolonged exposure to UV radiation damages the surface tissues of the eye as well as the retina and the lens. Yet while the Food and Drug Administration regulates sunglasses as medical devices, the agency does not stipulate that they must provide any particular level of UV protection. The wares at the average sunglasses store therefore can range from protective to wholly ineffective.

Look for labels and tags indicating that a pair of sunglasses provides at least “98 percent UV protection” or that it “blocks 98 percent of UVA and UVB rays.” If there is no label, or it says something vague like “UV absorbing” or “blocks most UV light,” don’t buy them — the sunglasses may not offer much protection.

For the best defense, look for sunglasses that “block all UV radiation up to 400 nanometers,” which is equivalent to blocking 100 percent of UV rays, advised Dr. Duffner.

CHOOSE THE RIGHT STYLE Ideally, your sunglasses should cover the sides of your eyes to prevent stray light from entering. Wraparound lenses are best, but if that’s not an appealing style, look for close-fitting glasses with wide lenses. Avoid models with small lenses, such as John Lennon-style sunglasses.

Don’t be seduced by dark tints. UV protection is not related to how dark the lens is. Sunglasses tinted green, amber, red and gray may offer the same protection as dark lenses. For the least color distortion, pick gray lenses, said Dr. Duffner.

If you are frequently distracted by glare while driving, boating or skiing, look for polarized lenses, which block the horizontal light waves that create glare. But remember, polarization in itself will not block UV light. Make sure the lenses also offer 98 percent or 100 percent UV protection.

Though the F.D.A. does not require that sunglasses have UV protection, the agency does insist that they meet impact-resistance standards — which basically means they won’t shatter when struck. Even so, if you wear sunglasses while cycling, sailing or gardening, for instance, consider purchasing a pair with polycarbonate lenses, which are 10 times more durable than regular plastic or glass lenses.

AVOID SIDEWALK VENDORS Buy a pair of chic Chanel knockoffs that offer no UV protection, and you might look swell — but your eyes will suffer. The tinted lenses will relax your pupils, letting more damaging radiation hit your retina than if you were wearing no glasses at all.

To play it safe, buy glasses from well-established drug, chain or department stores, rather than from vendors on the street. Shop around: you should be able to find a pair of drugstore sunglasses for $10 to $20 that provide all the protection you need.

Among the recent offerings at Sunglasswarehouse.com, for instance, were wraparound and aviator-style sunglasses that came with full UV protection for just $13.

DON’T FORGET THE CHILDREN Upgrade your children from their Dora and Spider-man toy sunglasses to legitimate shades that offer 98 percent to 100 percent UV protection. Children with light-colored eyes are especially vulnerable to sun damage, said Dr. Duffner. The injury is cumulative, so the earlier children get in the habit of wearing shades, the better off their eyes will be.

If your child plays sports regularly, consider also purchasing sport-specific goggles. Eye injuries are the leading cause of blindness in children, and most of those injuries occur when they are playing basketball, baseball, ice hockey or racket sports.

The National Eye Institute says it believes that protective eyewear could prevent 90 percent of sports-related eye injuries in children.

TEST THOSE OLD GLASSES Reluctant to pop for a new pair of sunglasses? If you already have a favorite pair but don’t know what kind of protection they offer, ask your local eyewear store if they have a UV meter. This device can measure the UV protection of your glasses and help you determine whether you should buy a new pair. “Most opticians have such a meter and can do this very easily,” said Dr. Duffner.

Even if you wear contact lenses that offer UV protection, you’re not in the clear. Contact lenses sit on the cornea in the center of your eyes and so can’t protect the surrounding white area (the conjunctiva) and skin.

“I see many older patients who have growths on the whites of their eyes that were caused by sun damage,” Dr. Bishop said. These yellow bumps, called pinguecula, often lead to eye irritation and dryness and may eventually disrupt vision. To prevent them, adults with contact lenses still must wear sunglasses outdoors.

Lastly, if you wear prescription glasses, you can avoid buying sunglasses by either purchasing clip-ons that attach to your frames or having a UV coating applied to your lenses. Presto, you’ll have two pairs in one.

namagomi
    Let the Sunshine in, but Not the Harmful Rays
    By LESLEY ALDERMAN
    Published: January 14, 2011 NY Times
    Yup, don't end up like Rainer wolf-castle.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/juFZh92MUOY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/juFZh92MUOY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Moderator Moderator
    Cycling commuter wins Sustrans video award

His 2 min video here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/southeas...00/9359761.stm

mtbr member
    Cycling commuter wins Sustrans video award

His 2 min video here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/southeas...00/9359761.stm
    Cool Video. Also neat that he won the award.

Moderator Moderator
    CYCLIST TICKETED FOR SPEEDING
    Alexandria Gazette Packet:
    " It may have been a first in the annals of law enforcement for the city, according to the Alexandria Police Department. Earlier this month, a city cop issued a speeding ticket to a bicyclist who was clocked going 31 in a 25. Alexandria Police Department spokeswoman Ashley Hildebrandt says the enforcement measure is part of a stepped-up effort to crack down on bicyclists flouting the laws on the streets of Old Town."

weirdo
    31 in a 25? I wonder if the rider was being a smart ass to the cop in order to get that reward. If I ever got one, I`d frame it. Come to think of it, maybe the cop was the rider`s buddy and he wrote up the ticket as a favor
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Old Town Alexandria? Hmmmm. If I was a motorist at an enforced 25 mph I'd be upset by cyclists blowing by in quantity unimpeded by law enforcement. I have a question of how the reading was taken. Radar? If any cars were present that signal is swamped so how does the oficer know it was the bike? Laser? I'm not sure that aiming a laser at a cyclist is a healthy thing. Pilots sure object to even laser pointers. Wonder if anyone botherd to check on that? Following? Need a long run to be sure you weren't catching the cyclist. Good reason to have a mirror on your bike!

namagomi
    CYCLIST TICKETED FOR SPEEDING
    Alexandria Gazette Packet:
    " It may have been a first in the annals of law enforcement for the city, according to the Alexandria Police Department. Earlier this month, a city cop issued a speeding ticket to a bicyclist who was clocked going 31 in a 25. Alexandria Police Department spokeswoman Ashley Hildebrandt says the enforcement measure is part of a stepped-up effort to crack down on bicyclists flouting the laws on the streets of Old Town."
    Hahahahaha... Book 'em Danno!! When the cops run out of real crimes to solve they start to destroy society... gotta justify that salary.

Moderator Moderator

bike commuter 0, pothole 1

Pothole nightmare for Taunton cyclist
    This is The West Country (UK) » News »
    8:19am Thursday 27th January 2011

A TAUNTON man has told how his cycle to work turned into a nightmare when his bike hit a pothole in Station Road.

Martin Salter was on his way to Musgrove Park Hospital where he works as a theatre assistant when he suddenly found himself flying over the handlebars at the junction with Priory Bridge Road.

He suffered various fractures and his £1,500 bike was a write-off.

Martin, 42, said: “I cycle that route every day without any problems but on this occasion I pulled out to overtake a car and hit this really bad pothole.

“All of a sudden the bike went down. I landed on the handlebars really hard and crashed onto the road.

“I found myself crawling around in the middle of the road unable to breath. It was so bad I though I had punctured my lung.

“I was also scared of getting run over because none of the cars were stopping but I managed to get to the side to the road where I collapsed in a lot of pain.

“I’m really grateful to the staff from the Royal Ashton and Ralph Colman cycles who looked after me until the ambulance came.”

Martin, who lives in Priorswood, fractured two ribs, a finger on his right hand and a bone in his left wrist. He will be off work for six weeks.

The pothole was filled in by Somerset County Council a couple of hours after the accident.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apparently few Samaritans tehre or few are good or few are motorists. I just can;t see driving around a body int he road and continuing. That is plain indecent. Some pothole! Been there but a lot slower not in the middle of a busy road and just ego damaged.

namagomi
    Apparently few Samaritans tehre or few are good or few are motorists. I just can;t see driving around a body int he road and continuing. That is plain indecent. Some pothole! Been there but a lot slower not in the middle of a busy road and just ego damaged.
    I would like to think i would have stopped and helped if i were driving by.

weirdo
    It`s another weird one. The guy moved out to pass a car when he went down? A pothole totaled his bike? Then he had to scramble because the cars weren`t stopping for him? Unusual on all counts, I`d say. Six weeks out of work- damn. Hope he eventually gets back to "good as new" condition.
    Recalculating....

~Disc~Golf~
    How do you ride into a pothole?
    I'm avoiding silly things like a 2" piece of decorative rock that got kicked out into the lane...

I didn't know that 'picking your line' was so tough...

mtbr member
    About the weirdness: If he pulled right (England) around a left hook or a left turning vehicle he was catching. The vehicle could have hidden the hole from sight. If it was a sudden move on his part, he may have been committed to his line. More likely,since it is England, and winter, the hole was full of water, possible with some water in the street. If deep enough to wrench the front wheel sideways like a railroad track can do, the front wheel pancakes and a carbon fork's blades tear, aluminum folds, and steel bends. He might even have damaged the frame at the headtube, especially if he was still clipped in and his momentum transferred to the frame. His landing on the bars likely bent them, too. The momentum depends on speed and driver weight but it could easily be more than 1500 pounds force to stop him in a very short time. His bones suggest that sort of force. To not OTB clear of the bike, I'd guess he was clipped in for a good portion of the process before the cleats pulled free. His wording suggests he saw no pothole until he was going OTB, so he wouldn't have unclipped. As to the drive-bys, people can be exquisitely aware of their own danger and oblivious to something as bad as lying in the middle of a busy street, and if they did notice, think it is someone else's job.

Moderator Moderator
    Vermont
    Police seek tips in solving Cabot hit-and-run of cyclist
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vermont State Police on Monday asked for the public's help to identify the driver of a dump truck that struck a bicyclist Aug. 11 on U.S. 2 near Danville Road in Cabot.

Sgt. Raymond LeBlanc said Alan Huntley, 48, of Cabot was pedaling westbound but was in the eastbound lane at about 5:20 p.m. when he was struck that day. At one point, Huntley got into an argument with a man driving a full-size dump truck, that police said was dark green, dark blue or black, LeBlanc said.
    He said the dump portion of the truck is silver. The truck was towing a trailer carrying an orange Kubota tractor. The truck was described as "older" with minor rust and some scratches.
    An initial investigation, including interviews with a witness, determined the truck's driver crossed the center line, drove across two lanes and struck Huntley with his truck before speeding away, LeBlanc said. Huntley was taken to the hospital for treatment of undisclosed injuries.
    A witness reported the truck driver had his head out his window, and it was apparent the driver and Huntley were arguing about something.

The witness, another driver, said the truck driver and the witness passed, and then the witness watched in a rear-view mirror and saw the truck cross the travel lanes and strike Huntley, the trooper said.
    He asked that and anyone with information contact Trooper James Fox at 229-9191, or Central Vermont Crime Stoppers at 800-529-9998.

namagomi
    Vermont
    Police seek tips in solving Cabot hit-and-run of cyclist
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vermont State Police on Monday asked for the public's help to identify the driver of a dump truck that struck a bicyclist Aug. 11 on U.S. 2 near Danville Road in Cabot.

Sgt. Raymond LeBlanc said Alan Huntley, 48, of Cabot was pedaling westbound but was in the eastbound lane at about 5:20 p.m. when he was struck that day. At one point, Huntley got into an argument with a man driving a full-size dump truck, that police said was dark green, dark blue or black, LeBlanc said.
    He said the dump portion of the truck is silver. The truck was towing a trailer carrying an orange Kubota tractor. The truck was described as "older" with minor rust and some scratches.
    An initial investigation, including interviews with a witness, determined the truck's driver crossed the center line, drove across two lanes and struck Huntley with his truck before speeding away, LeBlanc said. Huntley was taken to the hospital for treatment of undisclosed injuries.
    A witness reported the truck driver had his head out his window, and it was apparent the driver and Huntley were arguing about something.

The witness, another driver, said the truck driver and the witness passed, and then the witness watched in a rear-view mirror and saw the truck cross the travel lanes and strike Huntley, the trooper said.
    He asked that and anyone with information contact Trooper James Fox at 229-9191, or Central Vermont Crime Stoppers at 800-529-9998.
    More like attempted murder!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    More like attempted murder!
    At least assault with a deadly.

You'd think you'd hear a him coming. No mirror? Maybe there was no escape off the road.

Someone knows that rig snd who owns or was driving it.

Moderator Moderator
    It's a weird incident for sure, and strange they are asking for witnesses 6 mos later. I'm hoping they already know or at least suspect who did it, but are looking for a corroborating witness to help prove it in court.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Pueblo, CO daily commuter news

The best source for Pueblo, Colorado Daily Bicycle Commuter News!
    http://www.alternativecommutepueblo.com/

Moderator Moderator
    February 03, 2011
    Blizzard doesn't deter cyclist

Chicago's third snowiest blizzard in recorded history didn't stop Erick (Iggi) Ignaczak, who swapped his car for a hand-built commuter bike over the summer and has committed to living car-free for a year.

Iggi, an avid cyclist, is used to riding his bike year-round and braving temperatures as low as minus-16 degrees Fahrenheit.

And though Tuesday was his first significant blizzard, he made it home to the West Loop from his office in Wood Dale partially using his bike, unlike the thousands of commuters stuck in their cars on Lake Shore Drive.

Iggi's work commute consists of six miles of bike riding each day, plus a 35-minute train ride. This morning, with temperatures around 2 degrees Fahrenheit, Iggi wore a t-shirt, fleece shirt, fleece jacket, water/wind proof outershell, base layer pants, fleece pants, cargo pants, ski pants, wool socks, waterproof boots, liner gloves, lobster gloves, balaclava, neck gaiter, two hats, ski goggles, and a helmet.

He was sweaty by the time he got to Union Station and arrived at work on time. Then he waited half an hour for his co-workers get there.

"I'm definitely still riding. I'm committed to doing so," said Iggi, who recorded 254 miles on the bike for the month of January.

On Tuesday, after incessantly checking his weather app, Iggi left work a little early. He had no problem getting to the train but when he got off, the snow was falling horizontally.

"The wind was not my friend and it felt like I was leaning to the side the whole time," he said.

Still, he made it home, stopping at a Polish deli for some food. And though he did a test ride around the block at night to possibly meet up with the 'snow ride' that meets up at the Corner Bar in Bucktown after any new 2-inch snowfall, "it just wasn't happening," he said. "I had to push the bike home."

The car-for-bike swap is hosted by New Belgium Brewing's Tour de Fat, a traveling bicycle carnival, which works to get more cars off the road by giving volunteers around the country handmade commuter bikes if they agree to give up their car.

The money for Iggi's car went to West Town Bikes, New Belgium Brewing’s nonprofit partner, which promotes bicycling in the city, educates youth with a focus on under-served populations, and fosters and serves Chicago’s growing bicycling community. Overall, the Tour de Fat event, held over the summer, raised $14,000 to help fund West Town Bikes.

(Photo courtesy of Erick Ignaczak)

If you want to read the mix of bike hater/lover comments on the story, see http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....r-cyclist.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beetlejuice!
    2/4/11
    Phoenix Bicyclist Struck on Purpose?

PHOENIX - It was just supposed to be a ride to a friend's house but a Phoenix man says for some reason he was targeted by someone on the road.

"I watched a car come around the corner and after he came around the corner he slowed down," said Scott Walters.

He said he didn't think much about an oncoming car because the two were on opposite sides of the road.

That is until Scott says the driver of a Silver Kia started heading right for him.

"He steered right towards me and stepped on the gas and kept going," Scott said. "By the time I figured out he was actually going for me I couldn't really get out the way so all I could was lean over his hood and lessen the impact."

Scott tells ABC15 his bike bounced off the car and went flying.

"I went over his hood," Scott said. "He away from the curb so I got dumped off the side."

Afterward the silver Kia took off.

Limping, but not seriously injured, Scott recalls how he got up and actually found a piece of evidence.

"I had his rear view mirror sitting right there," he said.

Phoenix police say there's probably no way they'll ever find the driver because there are no witnesses, no license plate number and the mirror is all they have to go on.

Scott just hopes it's not one of his neighbors.

He says there was no doubt the person who hit him near 29th Place and Oak Street had cruel intentions.

"This is something that should never happen again."

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="video" width="320" height="280" data="http://www.abc15.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=7910"><param value="http://www.abc15.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=7910" name="movie"/><param value="&skin=MP1ExternalAll-MFL.swf&embed=true&adSizeArray=1x1000,320x40,3x100 0&adSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fpfad x%2Fssp%2Eknxv%2Fnews%2Fregion%5Fphoenix%5Fmetro%2 Fcentral%5Fphoenix%2Fdetail%3Bdcmt%3Dtext%2Fxml%3B sz%3D%25size%25%3Bpos%3D%25pos%25%3Bloc%3D%25loc%2 5%3Bcomp%3D%25adid%25%3Btile%3D3%3Bfname%3DPhoenix %2Dbicyclist%2Dstruck%2Don%2Dpurpose%3Bord%3D66699 3037020129800%3Frand%3D%25rand%25&flv=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww%2Eabc15%2Ecom%2Ffeeds%2FoutboundFeed%3FobfTyp e%3DVIDEO%5FPLAYER%5FSMIL%5FFEED%26componentId%3D1 87494707&img=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia2%2Eabc15%2Ecom%2F% 2Fphoto%2F2011%2F02%2F04%2FBicyclist%5Fholds%5Fon% 5Fto%5F9332141c%2D25cb%2D45f6%2Da335%2D0209dfcd3dd 70000%5F20110204223131%5F640%5F480%2EJPG&story=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eabc15%2Ecom%2Fdpp%2Fnews%2Fregion% 5Fphoenix%5Fmetro%2Fcentral%5Fphoenix%2FPhoenix%2D bicyclist%2Dstruck%2Don%2Dpurpose&category=&title= &oacct=&ovns=" name="FlashVars"/><param value="all" name="allowNetworking"/><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"/></object>

If video doesn't work you can see it here: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...uck-on-purpose
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrider
    2/4/11
    Phoenix Bicyclist Struck on Purpose?

PHOENIX - It was just supposed to be a ride to a friend's house but a Phoenix man says for some reason he was targeted by someone on the road.

"I watched a car come around the corner and after he came around the corner he slowed down," said Scott Walters.

He said he didn't think much about an oncoming car because the two were on opposite sides of the road.

That is until Scott says the driver of a Silver Kia started heading right for him.

"He steered right towards me and stepped on the gas and kept going," Scott said. "By the time I figured out he was actually going for me I couldn't really get out the way so all I could was lean over his hood and lessen the impact."

Scott tells ABC15 his bike bounced off the car and went flying.

"I went over his hood," Scott said. "He away from the curb so I got dumped off the side."

Afterward the silver Kia took off.

Limping, but not seriously injured, Scott recalls how he got up and actually found a piece of evidence.

"I had his rear view mirror sitting right there," he said.

Phoenix police say there's probably no way they'll ever find the driver because there are no witnesses, no license plate number and the mirror is all they have to go on.

Scott just hopes it's not one of his neighbors.

He says there was no doubt the person who hit him near 29th Place and Oak Street had cruel intentions.

"This is something that should never happen again."
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DKbPUzhWeeI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

weirdo
    Oh, crap! I hope they`re at least putting up a good effort at finding that SOB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrider
    Screw riding through that area, I was scared to drive through it when I lived in Phoenix. Tweeker/Immigrant Central.

Moderator Moderator

Well, it does have 2 wheels....

<iframe width="480" height="373" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" id="nyt_video_player" title="New York Times Video - Embed Player" src="http://graphics8.nytimes.com/bcvideo/1.0/iframe/embed.html?videoId=1248069610414&playerType=embed" ></iframe>

February 3, 2011, 2:30 pm
    The Commuter Bike Redesigned and ElectrifiedNY Times

This week, most people on the East Coast were hunkering down indoors, prepared for this winter’s fourth Snowstorm of the Century. I, on the other hand, was riding around a hotel ballroom on a YikeBike. And I’ll be straight with you: I had kind of a Segway moment. Remember that? After inventor Dean Kamen first gave secret demos of his self-balancing upright scooter to industry hotshots, their awed reactions included remarks like, “They’ll redesign cities for this thing.”

Of course, the Segway never did become as commonplace as the bicycle, and the YikeBike won’t either. But what a cool idea.

It’s an electric bike. Top speed is about 15 miles an hour. The accelerator and brakes are smoothly controlled by buttons that are right under your thumbs on the handlebars. The handlebars themselves are at your waist level, which might seem odd but makes sense—you ride sitting fully upright instead of bending forward, as on a bicycle. That design also means that you can jump forward off the bike in a crisis; there’s no hardware in your way.

Here’s the twist: the whole thing folds down into its own front wheel. You undo four stainless-steel latches, then snap the back wheel, seat and handlebars into the front one. It takes about 10 seconds. (Watch the video embedded in this post to get the idea.)
    The YikeBike is therefore perfect for covering that distance between your home and the train station. You can fold it down and set it next to you on the train, then unfold it and ride to your office at the other end.

In other words, this is not a bike you lock to a post in front of your office; this is a bike you fold down and carry into your office.

The YikeBike goes six miles on a charge (about 6 cents in electricity). That may not sound like much, but remember that you’re supposed to carry it inside with you. For example, you can just plug it in next to your desk at work. It recharges to 80 percent in 20 minutes, to full in 40 minutes.

It weighs 22 pounds, less than half the weight of a typical electric bike. The balance point is different from a regular bicycle, because the front wheel is practically right under you. Grant Ryan, the New Zealander who invented it, says it usually takes half an hour to master; it took me four tries before I could ride without having to shoot out my foot to the ground to steady myself.
    (Our original idea was for me to try riding the YikeBike in a hotel parking lot. Because of the nasty, frigid weather, we wound up migrating inside, to the ballroom. The hotel staff was either too preoccupied or too friendly to care about the spectacle.)

The bike is covered with safety features. For example, it lights up everywhere to remain visible to cars. The right and left turn signals, which both beep and blink, are controlled by buttons on the handlebars, so you never have to remove your hands. Mr. Ryan says that the YikeBike is the world’s first electric bicycle to have electronic anti-skid brakes, giving it a shorter stopping distance than a bike with caliper brakes.

The bike also makes a pretty loud whirring noise when in motion. Mr. Ryan says he could have muffled the sound, but thought it would be safer if the bike announced its presence to fellow travelers and pedestrians.

So why won’t the YikeBike become a megahit? Well, first, because it costs $3,600 (you can buy it from yikebike.com). And it costs that much because it owes its light weight to a carbon-fiber body, which has to be handmade. Eventually, Mr. Ryan hopes to create an aluminum version that will cost far less.

You also look pretty strange riding the YikeBike, too. It’s perfectly comfortable and very stable once you get the hang of it, but you’re going to get stares. It’s not for the self-conscious.
    Furthermore, because it’s so small, there’s no basket or rattrap. If you want to carry something, you’ll have to wear a backpack. (Mr. Ryan did show me, however, an ingenious idea: the bike’s shipping suitcase will soon be able to hook to the back of the bike, creating a trailer.)

Over all, it’s astounding that this idea, and this radical design, could work as well as it does. Every design detail has obviously been thought through. Acceleration and braking, for example, take absolutely no time to get used to.

I’m not sure how many takers the YikeBike will have at $3,600. But I really admire Mr. Ryan’s lean, green folding machine, and I wish him the best of luck.

Moderator Moderator
    Tulsa's bike-friendliness lauded
    Gun toting bike commuter interviewed

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_ULNSao201891

mtbr member
    Return to a previous bit of news: Chipseal sentenced!

http://chipsea.blogspot.com/

According to the Judge's sentencing, it sounds like either ChipSeal wasn't riding his lane properly or officers testified that he was not when in fact, he was.

Beetlejuice!
    Sad story out of Illinois. I really feel for the husband.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/cou...te-disabilitie

Couple hit by motorist maintained independence in spite of disabilities
    Wed, 03/09/2011 - 7:00am | Mary Schenk Contact Author

CHAMPAIGN – Dave and Cindy Combs were the living embodiment of the mission of the Developmental Services Center.

Offered just a little helping hand, the couple who had intellectual disabilities were able to live fulfilling lives fairly independently in the community.

On Monday afternoon, their independence came to an end when their trademark tandem bicycle was struck from behind by a driver who was apparently distracted by looking at a map.

Cindy Combs, 53, was killed, and her husband, Dave, 51, was critically injured north of Bondville about 4:30 p.m. Monday.

Dave Combs was listed in critical condition on Wednesday afternoon at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana.

"It's terrible. Everybody (here) knows Dave and Cindy whether they served them or not," said Dale Morrissey, chief executive officer of Developmental Services Center in Champaign.

"I have top-notch professionals who work for me. They get very, very close (to the clients). We feel like extended family. This is difficult.

"Many of the other consumers who receive services will have to work through this," he said.

They complemented each other well, said Morrissey, who's known both of them about 30 years, as long as they've been DSC clients.

Morrissey said Mrs. Combs was blind and rode on the back of the bike supplying pedal power to her husband, who was sighted.

"They literally rode thousands of miles a year," he said, adding that in bad weather, they rode the C-U Mass Transit District buses.

Valerie Lockett of Urbana, an MTD driver for about the last two years, called Cindy and David Combs "intertwined."

"She was high-functioning, just blind. She had a quick wit and was just hilarious," Lockett said. "He loved her so much. He took care of her and doted on her. It was beautiful. It really was. They were just waiting to get back on that bike."

Morrissey said while Cindy Combs had certain things she needed help with, she also had special skills to help her husband.

"David is sighted and it was cool the things he could do, being able-bodied, to help her," Morrissey said.

The couple was married at DSC in July 1986.

"About 22, 23 years ago, people with disabilities getting married was a really big thing. Both Cindy and David had differing needs of support," he said.

DSC staff helped the couple move into an independent living apartment on West Springfield Avenue.

"Our staff supports them in that apartment program," he said, explaining that they have trained the Combses in areas like paying bills, shopping and cooking.

Morrissey said Cindy worked primarily at DSC on projects for other clients. Dave worked at various jobs in the community but had recently marked his 10th anniversary at Staples on North Prospect Avenue in Champaign, where he was a part-time janitor.

"He made of a point of stopping by to tell me about his 10-year anniversary," Morrissey said.

And in the last three years, Cindy Combs had become an active advocate in the campaign to eliminate the use of the word "retarded" from the daily language of people, even making public appearances to talk about how hurtful the term is.

Both Dave and Cindy Combs were members of the Parkland Pops. Cindy was an alto in the Parkland Chorus. Dave was the head usher for the chorus, passing out programs and videotaping the performances, according to Barbara Zachow, chorus director.

Zachow said she has known the couple for most of the 22 years she has been at Parkland.

"She loves to sing. She's very good, partly because her ear is very, very developed. She hears things. She's always very, very friendly, and David and Cindy's love for each other is very pure and palpable. You can just tell," Zachow said.

The couple missed the Monday dress rehearsal for the chorus' Tuesday night spring concert. Because Zachow knew they had an afternoon appointment, she wasn't overly concerned.

"As soon as we saw the news that there was a tandem bike (hit), everyone in the chorus said, 'It's Cindy and Dave,'" she said.

Zachow planned to dedicate Tuesday's concert to the couple.

Sue Jones of Urbana met the couple through her participation in the chorus. It was there that she learned of their interest in bike riding. A member of the Prairie Cycle Club, Jones invited them to ride with the club, which they did with regularity.

"What kind of society would we be if people like Dave and Cindy didn't have a way to get where they need to go?" she asked. "Inviting them to join us is one of the things I'm going to be glad about for the rest of my life," Jones said.

"One time Dave told me Cindy was screaming on the way over to our bike ride that day because she was so glad to be coming," Jones said.

When the couple's bicycle was stolen a few years ago, Jones said, area residents bought them a new replacement tandem bike. Because of limited space in their apartment, Jones stored it in her garage over the winter. They had only recently picked it up for spring bike riding, she said.

Zachow said life for Cindy and Dave was never about having disabilities.

"They were just people. They wanted independence, and the bike helped give them that. They went to appointments, got to rehearsals. If the weather was really bad, someone would pick them up. She would come in and proclaim, 'I love my David,'" Zachow said.

"They're just precious people," she said.

Staff writer Tim Mitchell contributed to this story.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

Moderator Moderator
    That is really sad and really touching at the same time.

mtbr member
    Lived and cycled in Champaign until May 1984 about a mile from the Staples store where he worked. Didn't know them, but having lived there, I can see the trandem in my mind's eye. Hard on Dave. The motorist has to live with this the rest of his life too.

weirdo
    Oh, wow. Tragic. After reading that wonderful story about how the two of them manged and how they complimented each other, it really makes it hard to imagine how one could get by alone.

Moderator Moderator
    In post-quake Tokyo, bicycle transport is newly popular 5
    by Sarah Goodyear

14 Mar 2011 11:14 AM

More: bikes, cities, Japan, Placemaking, Tokyo, transportation

A new bike commuter? Maybe.

Photo: Byron KiddIn the aftermath of Friday's earthquake, which disrupted public transit, residents of Tokyo are turning to bicycles to make the trip to and from work.

That's the word from Byron Kidd, who blogs at Tokyo by Bike. I had seen him tweeting after the quake about an increase in bicyclists and a lot of activity at bike stores, so I got in touch with him to ask him to tell me more. (He's also been tweeting pictures of riders he's seen, like the one here. Click on it to see more.)

Here's what he wrote to me in an email:

On Friday (the day of the quake) Japanese tweeters began suggesting buying a bicycle as a means of returning home for those stuck in Tokyo. All trains without exception were shut down leaving tens if not hundreds of thousands of commuters stranded in the city. While the majority of people living within 3 or 4 hours walk from their workplace chose to walk home, a large number of people descended on bicycle stores around the city.
    As a regular bicycle commuter and bicycle blogger I took particular interest in this turn of events and made an effort to study the bicycle stores on my route home. Without exception the were all packed with customers. A friend also reported that he witnessed an empty bicycle store in Harajuku. The store carried bicycles of all prices up to $3600 and they were all sold out on Friday evening before 10pm.
    Over the weekend life went on as usual, but come Monday public transport was unreliable and quite a number of people chose to cycle to work. ... I think that quite a few people that walked home on Friday suddenly realized that home really isn't that far from work and it dawned on them that they could cycle it a lot faster than they had walked it on Friday evening. After taking my daughter to kindergarten this morning I cycled around some major routes into Tokyo and witnessed a much larger than usual number of cyclists heading towards the city. As an everyday bicycle commuter I know the average number of cyclists commuting with me, and that number was greatly exceeded today.
    By late afternoon it dawned on me that hundreds if not thousands of novice bicycle commuters had headed to the city and that few of them would have considered the logistics of getting home in the dark, which would be even darker with blackouts and everyone conserving energy by turning off unnecessary lighting. Knowing this I went out during the return rush hour with some tools, pump, and patch kits to do what I could to assist these new bicycle commuters on their trip home. I assisted in fixing a single puncture, tightening a few bolts and screws here and here, and helping a businessman with a chain that had come off his bike, in addition to giving directions.
    I expect to see many new bicycle commuters on the road tomorrow also and will carry some tools and patch kits in case I stumble upon [anyone] in need of assistance.
    Safe travels to Byron and all the new riders on the streets of Tokyo. We're thinking of you.

from
    http://www.grist.org/article/2011-03...-newly-popular

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^that sounds very trite and even dismissive of the disaster

mtbr member
    ^^ On the surface, maybe. But the resilience of people trying to reclaim 'normal' in the wake of a disaster and the role of bicycles in that resilience, is nice little story. A four hour walk (assuming 4-5 mph) for a newbie cyclist is a 16-20 mile one-way commute. There will be some sore butts. Not the best way to break into cycling to work.

namagomi
    ^^ On the surface, maybe. But the resilience of people trying to reclaim 'normal' in the wake of a disaster and the role of bicycles in that resilience, is nice little story. A four hour walk (assuming 4-5 mph) for a newbie cyclist is a 16-20 mile one-way commute. There will be some sore butts. Not the best way to break into cycling to work.
    Yep, every time I see a sea of people walking out of a city after a blackout or disaster, I wonder where the cyclists went to - probably already home!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/21648240" width="400" height="223" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/21648240">Japanese woman, 83, escaped tsunami on bicycle - Yahoo! News</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6442064">-Betty Tompkins</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks Martin, I had heard that story but wherever I saw it the video didn't work for me. A smart & fit lady - I hwonder if she still has the bike. Lets hope we never have such a dangerous ride.

mtbr member
    With incentive like that, she likely broke her personal best time, for at least the past decade. (Don't look now, but there's a wave catching you!)

mtbr member
    Just saw this winter cycling video on a local bikeblog and figured it was worth a post:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Y-o7OBzfLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moderator Moderator
    That was a pretty good video, they made it seenm pretty appealing to ride, but without being preachy. I liked how they seemed like "regular guys", They should edit it down to public service announcement length & put it on TV. I liked the ramp next to the stairs for pushing your bike - smart.

mtbr member
    ^ Edmonton is flaaaaaaaaat with a big river valley right in the middle. The valley is great for recreational cycling, but it's a bit of a barrier for crosstown cycling. So all along the valley there are wooden staircases with the handy bike ramps.

mtbr member
    2 bicyclists struck in hit-and-run, 1 dead in Bethpage NY

A hit-and-run driver struck two men riding on one bicycle in Bethpage Wednesday morning, killing one, police said.

The victim was pronounced dead at a hospital at 7:20 a.m., an hour and fifteen minutes after he was struck, Nassau County police said. The second victim was in serious condition with internal injuries. Police have not released the identity of either victim.

Police are searching for the driver of a white box truck that they think struck the bicycle as the two men headed south on Hicksville Road shortly after 6 a.m. Police said the two men were on one bicycle

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...list-1.2803428
    Last edited by ChevyM14; 04-06-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

Moderator Moderator

Alaskan commuter dead and on-line tracking stops

mtbr member
    May 2007

Plan designates 1,680 miles of interconnected bikeways for Los Angeles

weirdo
    1680 miles of painted bike lanes or real MUT? I didn`t read enough into the website to figure it out, but if "bikeways" means well designed, separated "Jedediah Smith" type paths, I don`t know how the heck they figure to pay for it. If it`s painted lines on the existing shrapnel infested roads, which don`t get any wider, I don`t see it as much more than a waste of paint. I doubt you`re going to out on much, Ryball.

Moderator Moderator

Rower and Cyclist Save 2 Drowning in PA River

weirdo
    ^^ That`s a neat story. I wonder why the rower didn`t row over or use the shell instead of trying to swin the panicked kid to shore- isn`t rowing a lot faster than swimming? But I suppose that`s how he would have done it if it were possible, must have had his reasons.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^ That`s a neat story. I wonder why the rower didn`t row over or use the shell instead of trying to swin the panicked kid to shore- isn`t rowing a lot faster than swimming? But I suppose that`s how he would have done it if it were possible, must have had his reasons.
    way to 'arm-chair'

you don't think maybe he asked himself that very same question?

Then again he had to leave his boat to DIVE down...maybe it floated away?

weirdo
    But I suppose that`s how he would have done it if it were possible, must have had his reasons.
    Arm-chairing noted.

Moderator Moderator
    Enquiring minds want to know what happened to the scull - those are pretty pricey.

~Disc~Golf~
    Arm-chairing noted.
    roger that

Moderator Moderator

Are women cyclists in more danger than men?

Interesting article with safety stuff for all...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8296971.stm

This year, seven of the eight people killed by lorries in London have been women.

New Safety Equipment??
    In one experiment, he cycled with a device which measured how much room cars gave as they passed, then repeated it while wearing a long female wig. Drivers gave the "woman" more room.

weirdo
    Excerpt:
    "...When you look at HGV accidents there are a lot more women involved than you would expect. We don't know why that is," says Charlie Lloyd, from the London Cycling Campaign.
    With this in mind, his group has organised a special women-only bike ride... "
    So, what are they trying to do? Wipe out the rest of them?
    Sorry, couldn`t resist

That is an odd set of statistics. The lack of agressiveness makes sense, but to such a degree? I find it hard to believe there`s that much difference between the way that women as a whole ride compared to men as a whole. I also tend to question the logic of their illustration of the correct way to pass a stopped vehicle. The way the diagram points out as being wrong is obviously a bad idea, but not so sure the suggested way is very bright either. No calls to just wait it out in a safe and visible spot behind the truck rather than filtering around? Or maybe my habbits wouldn`t cut it in the mad traffic in downtown areas of major cities either.

mtbr member
    ^^ Like the article. It is hard to realize how hard it is to see a bike from a truck cab if you haven't been in one doesn't matter what your plumbing is.

Quote 1 of female cyclist of her husband:
    "He cycles much more aggressively and is aware of all the traffic around him. He cycles as if someone is going to hit him and makes sure he is in a safe position," she says.
    -No guarantee, but working so far.

Quote2 (for Scott):
    "But he challenges the notion that nervous cyclists are generally more vulnerable because if fear is visible it can help, he says. The more confident you look, the closer the cars get, he says, and a deliberate wobble is sometimes used by cyclists to get more space."

It stops them treating you like an orange construction barrel where you REALLY need the room (loose gravel, potholes, a dolt hugging the curb, etc.).

Moderator Moderator

Video: Semi-truck overturns, narrowly misses cyclist in China

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="video" width="320" height="280" data="http://www.newsnet5.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=9138"><param value="http://www.newsnet5.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=9138" name="movie"/><param value="&skin=MP1ExternalAll-MFL.swf&embed=true&adSizeArray=1x1000,320x40,3x100 0&adSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fpfad x%2Fssp%2Ewews%2Fnews%2Flocal%5Fnews%2Fwater%5Fcoo ler%2Fdetail%3Bdcmt%3Dtext%2Fxml%3Bsz%3D%25size%25 %3Bpos%3D%25pos%25%3Bloc%3D%25loc%25%3Bcomp%3D%25a did%25%3Btile%3D3%3Bfname%3Dvideo%2Doverturned%2Ds emi%2Dtruck%2Dnarrowly%2Dmisses%2Dcyclist%2Din%2Dc hina%3Bord%3D343243128872662650%3Frand%3D%25rand%2 5&flv=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enewsnet5%2Ecom%2Ffeeds%2F outboundFeed%3FobfType%3DVIDEO%5FPLAYER%5FSMIL%5FF EED%26componentId%3D187738750&img=http%3A%2F%2Fmed ia2%2Enewsnet5%2Ecom%2F%2Fphoto%2F2011%2F04%2F18%2 FTruck%5FOverturns3cc0978a%2Dc6d0%2D4379%2D9071%2D ac9c22bbf62c0000%5F20110418061539%5F640%5F480%2EJP G&story=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enewsnet5%2Ecom%2Fdpp%2F news%2Flocal%5Fnews%2Fwater%5Fcooler%2Fvideo%2Dove rturned%2Dsemi%2Dtruck%2Dnarrowly%2Dmisses%2Dcycli st%2Din%2Dchina&category=&title=&oacct=&ovns=" name="FlashVars"/><param value="all" name="allowNetworking"/><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"/></object>

WENLING, China - A semi-truck overturned and its container dropped while rushing to pass the traffic light in China.

The incident was all caught on video.

The semi-truck went over a crossroad at a high speed, trying to beat the traffic light while it was turning from green to yellow.

A man on a bicycle waiting to cross the intersection had a miraculous escape as the fully loaded container came crashing down on his bike.

The cyclist managed to jump free just before his bicycle was pinned to the ground by the falling load.

You can watch the incident in the video player above.

[I]The embed code doesn't seem to be working...see video here http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loc...clist-in-china

Moderator Moderator

No jail for woman who hit Vt cyclist while GPSing

This seems like a meaningless penalty to me...they could at least inconvenience her with some massive number of community service hours - perhaps the number that the cyclist was hospitalized and in physical therapy.

No jail for woman who hit Vt cyclist while GPSingApril 27, 2011

BRATTLEBORO, Vt.—A woman who critically injured a Vermont bicyclist with her car when she was distracted by looking at her GPS isn't going to jail.

.Twenty-one-year-old Cherish Carlin of Springfield, Mass., was given a suspended sentence and placed on probation after she pleaded guilty to charges of gross negligent vehicle operation and reckless endangerment. If she stays out of trouble her criminal record will be sealed.

Carlin was driving on U.S. Route 5 in Dummerston in April 2009 when she took her eyes off the road to look for a place to eat on her GPS. She hit then-71-year-old Bradford Greene of Dummerston from behind.

Greene has since recovered from his injuries.

The Brattleboro Reformer says Carlin, who had no previous criminal record, apologized in court for her actions.

weirdo

3 foot law for Nevada

Our new 3 foot passing requirement is now written in stone and will go into effect in October. To be quite honest, I thought we already had such a law and it was just ignored
    http://www.bikinglasvegas.com/cyclin...ctober-1-2011/

namagomi
    This seems like a meaningless penalty to me...they could at least inconvenience her with some massive number of community service hours - perhaps the number that the cyclist was hospitalized and in physical therapy.

No jail for woman who hit Vt cyclist while GPSingApril 27, 2011

BRATTLEBORO, Vt.—A woman who critically injured a Vermont bicyclist with her car when she was distracted by looking at her GPS isn't going to jail.

.Twenty-one-year-old Cherish Carlin of Springfield, Mass., was given a suspended sentence and placed on probation after she pleaded guilty to charges of gross negligent vehicle operation and reckless endangerment. If she stays out of trouble her criminal record will be sealed.

Carlin was driving on U.S. Route 5 in Dummerston in April 2009 when she took her eyes off the road to look for a place to eat on her GPS. She hit then-71-year-old Bradford Greene of Dummerston from behind.

Greene has since recovered from his injuries.

The Brattleboro Reformer says Carlin, who had no previous criminal record, apologized in court for her actions.
    If somebody checking their gps runs her down while she is crossing the street they won't be punished either.

Moderator Moderator
    Our new 3 foot passing requirement is now written in stone and will go into effect in October. To be quite honest, I thought we already had such a law and it was just ignored
    http://www.bikinglasvegas.com/cyclin...ctober-1-2011/
    Congrats! It will be interesting to see if you see any additional motorist courtesy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Congrats! It will be interesting to see if you see any additional motorist courtesy.
    Unfortunately three feet doesn't really matter when they aren't looking at the road to begin with... at least here in Tampa.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

weirdo
    The only way I can see to enforce a rule like that would involve riding around every day with a yard stick taped off the left side of my bike and have somebody follow wherever I go with a video camera, but I really do appreciate the sentiment

mtbr member
    Judging by people placing their vehicles in lane while I follow in a car, I doubt most drivers know how wide 3' to their right is, other than it is a bit more that 1'. They don't seem to understand that can err with a lot more and be legal. The issue that comes up is they seem to judge from the cyclist's center line or center of mass. Since I am almost 2' across at the shoulder, three foot from there is only 2' and too close for comfort. If they misjudge the 3' as 2' they are within a foot, yet feel they gave 'lots of room' and that does not consider that they often move right once their front right door or sometimes just their bumper is by.

My video camera has a fisheye effect. My move to the right and the closeness of a trailer that recently got within 1 foot before I could shift, simply do not show well on hte recording. We have a post back a ways here where someone riding in Wisconsin with such a law in effect had a camera fire back from the left drop of his bar and that was pretty scary.

There are bright orange side marking flags on jointed arms that will give without breaking off meant for comutting bikes, or you could just get the wire or plastic-masted marking flags for utility right of ways or survey lines. Placing a traffic yellow/orange/green one in a rear rack sticking out to the left moves your visual center of mass to the left. That helps them start out at 3 feet or more, but doesn't stop them ignoring the fact you are doing 20-25 mph and not standing still, and so pulling back in too soon. I found for most the ANSI vest and lights work. Casual clothes seem to get more room. Of course, this assumes they aren't playing wit the GPS, texting, or too deep in phone or in-car conversations to actually have eyes on the road or much attention to what they see if they are looking.

So remember, no matter how bad they mess up, you get hurt the most, and only if you are lucky will it not be blamed on you.

Moderator Moderator

expect the unexpected...

Accidental cement drop catches cyclist Last updated 08:34 09/06/2011
    A cyclist collided with wet cement after a concrete truck accidently discharged its load on a busy Wellington motorway this morning.

The concrete truck started dropping wet cement on Glover St, continuing onto Ngauranga Gorge around 7.15am.

"It looks like the driver was driving along and somehow he's pushed the button and the concrete has dropped out the back,'' police inspector Marty Edgehill said.

"A cyclist was coming down Ngauranga Gorge and hit the concrete and fell off. He hit his hip and an ambulance attended him.''

The driver's colleagues had arrived quickly on the scene to help and the wet cement was now cleared up, he said.

- The Dominion Post New Zealand

weirdo

Hooked.

Fatal right hook by a garbage truck in Reno yesterday. Details are a little sketchy, but it sounds to me that riding in a bike lane was a contributing factor
    http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/123365653.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Fatal right hook by a garbage truck in Reno yesterday. Details are a little sketchy, but it sounds to me that riding in a bike lane was a contributing factor
    http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/123365653.html
    This is why I always take the lane when I know a vehicle is likely to be moving in to the bike lane (or out of it). Buses, garbage trucks, etc. This morning a bus was at the stop ahead of me. I watched the passenger board, knew the bus would be moving in to the lane soon but wasn't so sure he remembered he passed me. So I moved WAY out in to the lane (no traffic behind) and watched his brake lights (on or off?) and just prepared myself to stop or move in a hurry. He knew I was there so he didn't pull out and it was all fine.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I understand why they discuss fault......but the WMI driver could have prevented the accident and so could have the cyclist...

Very sad, hopefully the driver gets a lesson or two, the woman doesn't need one anymore.

mtbr member
    ^I can envision at least one scenario where the cyclist would not be 'at fault'. Or done much about it unless clairvoyant. I sometimes get the 'tinglies' and have avoided a near thing. "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

If the truck was overtaking the bike, ahead by maybe a cab length, then no turn signal or a last minute one, and the cyclists moving right is prevented and there is no time to jump clear.

Cyclist: An "Oh sh.. and commence a full stop and maybe sound an airzound (might work). This is not time to panic. I have had a cyclist do just that and hit me when I am fully stopped and brake application would have saved the day. Panic = roadkill.

I am not copping out on the cyclist's responsibility to avoid the accident. I am saying that the deck can be stacked very badly, that the average cyclist would fare no better.

Moderator Moderator

78 year old woman cyclist chases pursesnatcher

OAP cyclist chases handbag thief in Gosport4:27pm Monday 13th June 2011

PrintEmailShareComments(0)
    A 78-year-old cyclist chased after a thief when he stole her handbag The pensioner was riding along a road when a man passed her on another bike and lifted the bag out of her handlebar basket.

She shouted loudly and tried to follow the suspect, who was around 50 years younger, but he managed to get away after a short chase along Stoke Road in Gosport.

PC Alison Smith said: "We are looking for witnesses that may be able to assist with identifying the man responsible. No force was used, and this appears to be an opportunistic crime. It was committed in daylight hours when other people may have witnessed the offence, or may have seen the offender prior to the incident.

"The crime itself was very quick, and may have gone unnoticed as he would have looked like a faster cyclist overtaking another. However, the victim has shouted loudly and repeatedly, and it is hoped that members of the public will come forward.

"To prevent incidents of a similar nature, personal possessions should always be hidden from view."

The suspect, who was white and aged between 24 and 35, managed to escape down either Peel Road or Avenue after the incident, on June 11 at 11.15am.

Anyone with information should contact Gosport police station on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

mtbr member
    Where's the puncture when you really need one? That would have been sweet!

Some little old ladies pack heat here. Don't see many (3) cyclists older than I am, and none female.

Moderator Moderator

Cyclist Airlifted After Blown Off the Road

Heavy winds blow cyclist off road in Rocky Mountain National Park
    2:05 AM, Jun. 18, 2011 |

A 30-year-old man from Toronto, Canada, was injured Thursday while riding his bicycle along Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. The cyclist was airlifted to a Denver hospital with injuries suffered when a strong wind blew his bicycle off the road. A 30-year-old man from Toronto, Canada, was injured Thursday while riding his bicycle along Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

About 1 p.m. Thursday, park rangers were notified that the man had been blown over on his bicycle in heavy wind, officials said in a Rocky Mountain National Park news release.
    A thunderstorm moved into the area about one quarter mile east of Lava Cliffs on Trail Ridge Road and gusts in excess of 45 mph were recorded, officials said.
    The cyclist suffered traumatic injuries, including injuries to his head and pelvis as well as hypothermia. The cyclist was wearing a helmet and riding with another. The other cyclists suffered hypothermia as well, officials said.
    Park rangers assisted both men. The seriously injured man was taken by an Estes Park Medical Center ambulance to the Alpine Visitor Center.
    When the accident occurred, an air ambulance from St. Anthony Hospital was at the Alpine Visitor Center as part of a training exercise for park staff, officials said. At 2:20 p.m. the man was flown by St. Anthony Flight for Life to St. Anthony Central Hospital.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Bike Commuter News-airlift.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Driver In Fatal Cyclist Crash Involved In Previous Case
    CSP: Christopher Loven Also Involved In 2009 Road Rage Incident
    Posted by Wayne Harrison, Web Editor

POSTED: 6:51 pm MDT June 20, 2011

DENVER -- The driver of a dump truck involved in a fatal crash with a bicyclist on Friday was convicted in a road rage incident in the same area in 2009, according to the Colorado State Patrol and public court records.

On Monday, the state patrol identified the driver of the dump truck as Christopher G. Loven, 45, of Boulder County. The bicyclist who died in the Friday crash in Lefthand Canyon was identified as Eugene Philip Howrey, 73, of Boulder, according to CSP.

Court records indicate Loven was the driver involved in a 2009 incident in which a truck pushed a cyclist into oncoming traffic near Lee Hill Drive and Olde Stage Road.

The original ticket in that case was for reckless endangerment. Loven pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and was given probation and community service.

The fatal crash on Friday happened at the intersection of Lefthand Canyon and Olde Stage Road.

The Colorado State Patrol confirmed Monday that Loven was the driver in both incidents.

The Friday crash remains under investigation by the state patrol.

weirdo
    Twice? That`s worse than C. Thompson in the Mandeville Canyon deal.

EDIT: More here, with emphasis on the current victim
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/eugene-...icycle-tourin/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Heavy winds blow cyclist off road in Rocky Mountain National Park
    2:05 AM, Jun. 18, 2011 |

A 30-year-old man from Toronto, Canada, was injured Thursday while riding his bicycle along Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. The cyclist was airlifted to a Denver hospital with injuries suffered when a strong wind blew his bicycle off the road. A 30-year-old man from Toronto, Canada, was injured Thursday while riding his bicycle along Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

About 1 p.m. Thursday, park rangers were notified that the man had been blown over on his bicycle in heavy wind, officials said in a Rocky Mountain National Park news release.
    A thunderstorm moved into the area about one quarter mile east of Lava Cliffs on Trail Ridge Road and gusts in excess of 45 mph were recorded, officials said.
    The cyclist suffered traumatic injuries, including injuries to his head and pelvis as well as hypothermia. The cyclist was wearing a helmet and riding with another. The other cyclists suffered hypothermia as well, officials said.
    Park rangers assisted both men. The seriously injured man was taken by an Estes Park Medical Center ambulance to the Alpine Visitor Center.
    When the accident occurred, an air ambulance from St. Anthony Hospital was at the Alpine Visitor Center as part of a training exercise for park staff, officials said. At 2:20 p.m. the man was flown by St. Anthony Flight for Life to St. Anthony Central Hospital.
    Keep us posted.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I don't see any updates, hopefully he is OK. But I see they had to close the road this week due to snow and whiteout conditions, interrupting a 600 person bike tour. I didn't realize it, but I guess it's a famous scenic route.

Moderator Moderator

What is wrong with people?!!

People in car seriously hurt cyclist riding in Puyallup
    THE NEWS TRIBUNE Tacoma WA
    Published: 07/07/1112:05 am | Updated: 07/07/11 6:51 am

.Pierce County sheriff’s deputies were searching Wednesday for three people who hung out the windows of a moving car Saturday and assaulted a 71-year-old bicyclist in Puyallup.

Witnesses said three people were in a four-door sedan about 3 p.m. when the driver veered off Pioneer Way East in the 12800 block to move closer to the bicyclist, who was traveling in the same direction.

A woman in the front seat and a passenger in the back leaned out and began hitting and pushing the bicyclist, who lost control and crashed.

The victim, a Redmond man, was taken to Tacoma General Hospital with serious head and internal injuries. Witnesses said he was wearing a helmet.

Tacoma-Pierce County Crime Stoppers is offering up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and charging of the three suspects.

The woman was 18 to 25 and had strawberry-blond hair in a ponytail. The driver was described as between ages 16 and 20. The only detail witnesses noticed about the back-seat passenger was that he or she had short hair.

Stacia Glenn, staff writer

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/0...#ixzz1RTIDkgzR

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23