Post Bike Commuter News - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator
    Smog smothered a broad stretch of Asia as world leaders opened two weeks of crucial climate talks in Paris. NY Times
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Bike Commuter News-smog.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vosper
    Never mind that Department of Transportation fatality stats show the number of cycling fatalities per year has declined about 30 percent over the past 40 years. Or, that, although the number of cycling fatalities fluctuates from year to year, overall results have remained more or less steady since 2000.
    I liked this article and was going to post it to facebook, until I got to part II:

Rick Vosper: Haunted by the Ghosts of Dead Cyclists, Part Two | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vosper
    In 2000, according to the NSGA, just over 43 million Americans rode bikes on a regular (six or more days per year) basis, already a 23 percent drop from the peak year of 1995. Over the next 14 years, 2000-2014, that number dropped by another 17 percent — from 43 million in 2000 to just 36 million last year — an incremental loss of 37 percent in 14 years.
    As I read it, he is talking about absolute numbers here, not percentages or adjusted for population increase.

So by his numbers, since 2000, the number of people riding has dropped 37% while the number of fatalities as remained "more or less steady".

Wait, what?

That means the odds of any given cyclist getting killed have jumped more than 30% in less than 15 years.

Does anybody else read this differently?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Does anybody else read this differently?
    Yes. They defined cyclists as those riding 6 days a year or more. So that number may well have declined (look at how fat we have become, so that is believable/understandable), while commuting numbers have increased especially since 2008. Those only mountain biking on trails away from roads are not likely involved either. So the steady traffic accidents do not apply to the total of "regular" (and I think they use that term very loosely) users but to an unreported subset.

So you can't make the conclusion that accident rates for cyclist has jumped using the two pieces of data cited.

mtbr member
    So while the total number of cyclists has dropped, the total number of cycling miles logged per year is not cited.

I can buy that, although I'm having trouble getting my head around how someone who rides 6 times PER YEAR can have any meaningful impact on accident statistics. I guess ignorance can trump probability, so to speak.

However this uncertainty of exactly how many people are riding how much, IMO, totally undermines the premise of his first article, that is that cycling is SAFER now than in the past based on the total number of accidents.

Has bike commuting actually increased? He's angling at this from a bike-industry-sales perspective, a viewpoint from which commuters have to be the most irrelevant cycling demographic; a Criterium racer can spend more $$$ at the shop repairing his zipp wheels from a crash than many commuters spend in a decade.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

NDD
    mtbr member
    So while the total number of cyclists has dropped, the total number of cycling miles logged per year is not cited.

I can buy that, although I'm having trouble getting my head around how someone who rides 6 times PER YEAR can have any meaningful impact on accident statistics. I guess ignorance can trump probability, so to speak.

However this uncertainty of exactly how many people are riding how much, IMO, totally undermines the premise of his first article, that is that cycling is SAFER now than in the past based on the total number of accidents.

Has bike commuting actually increased? He's angling at this from a bike-industry-sales perspective, a viewpoint from which commuters have to be the most irrelevant cycling demographic; a Criterium racer can spend more $$$ at the shop repairing his zipp wheels from a crash than many commuters spend in a decade.
    Yeah, 6 or more days a year seems like kind of a low mark. My guess is a polarizing demographic shift. Fewer people ride more miles. If that's the case, and the overall miles ridden by cyclists is similar, then you might expect the chance of getting killed to be similar. The presumption is that given so many miles ridden the chance is equal regardless of the number of cyclists riding those miles.

Note, that is a very simple model that doesn't account for things like experience (cyclists who use the roads often will more likely follow appropriate trafffic laws) and the fact that people might commute more due to cycling specific infrastructure. Personally, I ride an extra three miles each way so I can make the whole commute to the university on bike paths.

It could also be that fewer people ride bikes but more commute, putting them closer to cars that can kill them.

It's kind of like animals that form large grazing herds. The more conspecifics there are around you, the less of a chance that the predator gets you. That's just a matter of probability.
    dang

mtbr member
    There is a safety from more motorists seeing more commuting cyclists that of course has a counter of more potential for lethal accidents because of proximity and these may offset each other keeping the fatalities more or less steady.

Old hands at commuting seek out safe routes and MUP's, or even ST going some what their way. Newbies or roadies out getting practices in may offset that by riding in less favorable streets.

People who ride 6 to 20 times a year could be pretty poor at the whole safety thing. Witnessing bozos on beach bikes and the like doing dumb-a$$ things, I can believe that they might be a higher risk category.

Basically, we are saying that the breakout of the types of cyclists and their miles and those sent to hospital or killed needs to be examined to understand the deaths being fairly constant. Is it driven by an increase in miles driven by cagers with cheap gas, or distraction if cyclist miles are declining? Is it cyclists in unexpected locations? Too little info in broad averages to sort it out.

mtbr member
    Kindness of Strangers Buys Car for Man Pedaling Through Snow to Work - Good News Network

A powerful snowstorm, a dangerous bike ride, and a good Samaritan all came together to change a Michigan man’s life for the better.

Tony Berard rides his bike seven miles down a busy highway to work the midnight shift at a grocery store. He was making that commute in a heavy Michigan snowstorm when young Jason Kapoor, driving in the opposite direction, first saw him.

Jason swung his car around and offered Tony a ride.

Tony had been in financial trouble ever since his wife got sick — she couldn’t work and medical bills piled up. Then, both their old cars quit running. Tony didn’t have the money to fix them or buy a new one, so he did what he had to.

With the harsh Michigan winter approaching, Jason’s heart was moved to help the Waterford man.

So he told Tony’s story intending to get people to give him a ride on the road–and, indeed, the next day, another stranger spotted him on his bike and offered him a ride. But a better idea was born after the post was shared 17,000 times, and the discussion turned toward getting the man a used car.

Jason launched a GoFundMe page called “Keep Tony Warm” and donations heated up. It raised more than $19,000 in nine days.

As fate would have it, Jason works at a car dealership right across the highway from Tony’s job — and he worked out a deal to put Tony in a new minivan with a working heater for those frozen commutes this winter.

mtbr member
    So I didn't comment when I posted that last one, because I really didn't know what to say.

But this one is kindof cool:

Driver allegedly flees accident, car?s high-tech system calls 911 to report crash, and police arrest her

A Florida woman was reportedly arrested and placed into custody last week after her car implicated her in at least one alleged hit-and-run incident.

You read that right.

According to reports from Chicago’s ABC7 and West Palm Beach, Fla.’s ABC25, a car driven by 57-year-old Cathy Bernstein automatically called 911 to report a crash. The call was part of a safety feature designed to help first responders locate people who may have lost consciousness after accidents. That seems to have given dispatchers all the information they needed to pinpoint the location of the vehicle – and find the alleged hit-and-run driver – without ever having to talk to a person...

The report said the car that tattled on its owner was a Ford...

...at least 10 million Ford vehicles with 911 Assist capability are on the road. However, drivers should note that the feature is opt-in, meaning that all drivers, including the one allegedly involved in this crash, have to turn the feature on and pair their car with their phone before it will work. This kind of emergency-call technology is also on track to be in every car in the European Union starting in April 2018.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Had to share locally, great news!

mtbr member
    Both the 2012 Lincoln and the 2013 Focus we have, do this. Nice to know that the system works.

On one ride I pulled off the outer mitts and bungeed them on the rear rack and a lady caught me up with them when they fell off in the road. Nice to know that there are very nice cagers out there!

Moderator Moderator
    A lot of loaded language and leading questions on this 911 recording

CHP releases 911 call in fatal cyclist accident involving Sacramento judge | The Sacramento Bee

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Humans Are Slamming Into Driverless Cars and Exposing a Key Flaw - Bloomberg Business

The self-driving car, that cutting-edge creation that’s supposed to lead to a world without accidents, is achieving the exact opposite right now: The vehicles have racked up a crash rate double that of those with human drivers.

The glitch?

They obey the law all the time, as in, without exception...

Google is working to make the vehicles more “aggressive” like humans -- law-abiding, safe humans -- so they “can naturally fit into the traffic flow, and other people understand what we’re doing and why we’re doing it,” Dolgov said. “Driving is a social game.”

Google has already programmed its cars to behave in more familiar ways, such as inching forward at a four-way stop to signal they’re going next. But autonomous models still surprise human drivers with their quick reflexes, coming to an abrupt halt, for example, when they sense a pedestrian near the edge of a sidewalk who might step into traffic.

“These vehicles are either stopping in a situation or slowing down when a human driver might not,” said Brandon Schoettle, co-author of the Michigan study. “They’re a little faster to react, taking drivers behind them off guard.”
    So the article says the accident rate is double, but the abstract for the study puts a ton a caveats on that:

With these caveats in mind, there were four main findings. First, the current best estimate is that self-driving vehicles have a higher crash rate per million miles traveled than conventional vehicles, and similar patterns were evident for injuries per million miles traveled and for injuries per crash. Second, the corresponding 95% confidence intervals overlap. Therefore, we currently cannot rule out, with a reasonable level of confidence, the possibility that the actual rates for selfdriving vehicles are lower than for conventional vehicles. Third, self-driving vehicles were not at fault in any crashes they were involved in. Fourth, the overall severity of crash-related injuries involving self-driving vehicles has been lower than for conventional vehicles.

Moderator Moderator
    DC Considers Raising Fine for Hitting Cyclist from $50

DC Proposes Higher Fines for Hitting a Cyclist | Bicycling

Moderator Moderator
    Post Bike Commuter News-alphabeta.jpg
    Snazzy bikecommuter entry to Alphabeta building in London

from Nine innovations designed to improve our work lives in 2015.

Moderator Moderator
    R.I.P., unnamed Worcester MA pedaler.

So refreshing to see a WalkBike advocate quoted:
    “I’ve seen people say, people shouldn’t ride their bikes in bad weather,” Powers said. “Is that really a reasonable solution? … Rather than pointing fingers at the motorist or the cyclist, let’s find a solution.”

UPDATED: Cyclist killed on Belmont Street raises concerns about street's safety - Worcester Mag

Moderator Moderator
    NYC: Deaths of people on bicycles fell to 14 last year, from 20 the previous year.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/ny...-in-a-row.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alphabeta.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	1039138
    Snazzy bikecommuter entry to Alphabeta building in London

from Nine innovations designed to improve our work lives in 2015.
    That's cool, I guess? I'm not sure it's really necessary, or even particularly useful though? I've got underground parking at work, and I just use the same ramp as the cars. Of all possible car/bike interactions, entering a building seems to be pretty simple and trouble-free. (existing a building is a different story, since cars will often be lined-up. I'd take a personalized exit to skip all of that hassle)

In other news, our traffic fatalities jumped by 50% in 2015:
    Post Bike Commuter News-fatalities-2005-2015.jpg

It certainly could just be bad "luck" but I'm still going to throw it in our council's face everytime they do something stupid. Like New York, we've also adopted visionzero, but apparently that starts and ends with photoradar speed inforcement. We remove bikelanes, our traffic safety campaigns are all about victim blaming, and traffic calming had to be removed because drivers were behaving so badly. And with that there's a big spike in traffic deaths - somebody should be embarrassed.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I don't know if this has been posted - not sure I want to scroll through 25 pages of this thread to find out. My apologies if it has. Found this to be rather interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...3780&tid=ss_tw
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

weirdo
    Beautiful story, Dutchman! It`s nice when we get some sunshine and flowers in this mostly dark and gloomy thread
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^+1 Great story and a brave little boy.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the compliments. Because of the article, I have "refreshed" my 4y old son's emergeny procedure: which buttons to push on the phone and to say name, address and to come quickly.

Nevertheless a very brave boy that all can be proud of.

mtbr member
    Germany Launches Its National 'Bike Autobahn' Cycle Network - CityLab

I wouldn't call it good news yet - in a country ruled by car and weapon industry, I would say seeing is believing when it comes to doing something for bycicles and bycicle commuting. Nonetheless, exciting plans.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice! Possibly damaging to our rugged reputation, though!

Winter biking tips from Council Member Lisa Bender | Southwest Journal

mtbr member

NDD
    mtbr member
    The idea of bamboo is interesting but have you seen the designs that don't use steel lugs? They look pretty slick, but I don't know how practical it'd be.

I will say the design and color choices really didn't make me like this one.
    dang

Moderator Moderator

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    The idea of bamboo is interesting but have you seen the designs that don't use steel lugs? They look pretty slick, but I don't know how practical it'd be.

I will say the design and color choices really didn't make me like this one.
    I would have to agree with this. It may be light and strong and everything, although I seriously have some doubts about this setup. It seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You can get a fixed/SS for less than the $500 for that bamboo bike, and it will have the same crap components on it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I would have to agree with this. It may be light and strong and everything, although I seriously have some doubts about this setup. It seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You can get a fixed/SS for less than the $500 for that bamboo bike, and it will have the same crap components on it.
    Note there's a comment from someone from Kenya on that page. The problem isn't that bikes are hard to get but that they don't handle the hauling needs. They need components for the bikes they have, none of which are the tubes. That's a good concern and I don't know how well bamboo would do in a hauling situation, it definitely doesn't fix the problem of bedding different hubs.

Would I try riding one? Absolutely, but I think there are more cost effective ways to handle transportation needs of people in developing countries.

Good thoughts though.
    dang

mtbr member
    https://www.torklaw.com/accident-law...rfectly-legal/

5 Things Cyclists Do You Didn’t Know Are Perfectly Legal

It’s true that city cycling is on the rise in the United States, and that has come with some backlash. The mere sight of a bicycle can send some motorists into a fury — often due to drivers not knowing the law. This has caused an alarming number of injury accidents that were completely preventable. Odds are, that annoying thing the person on the bike is doing — is completely legal...

5. Riding In The Roadway

4. Leaving The Bike Lane To Use The Left Turn Lane

3. Riding Straight In The Right Turn Lane

2. Filming You While You Scream At Them

1. Riding Two Abreast In The Roadway
    So, where I am it's actually explicitly illegal to ride two abreast. I've always wondered how many other jurisdictions are like that.

Things I'd add to the list:

Passing on the right/filtering up to the front? (near as I can tell, that is legal, even though it seems so unfair to drivers. Boohoo.)

Something about crosswalks - most bike routes around here will involve a stupid crosswalk or two, and I've had people freak the @#$% out for me walking my bike through a crosswalk. Let alone for me riding through at the same time as pedestrians (perfectly legal). Or similarly, that it's "illegal" for cyclists to push beg-buttons to make traffic lights change.

I'm sure there must be more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torklaw.com

Filming You While You Scream At Them
    Haha. Harsh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

So, where I am it's actually explicitly illegal to ride two abreast. I've always wondered how many other jurisdictions are like that.

Passing on the right/filtering up to the front? (near as I can tell, that is legal, even though it seems so unfair to drivers. Boohoo.)

Something about crosswalks - most bike routes around here will involve a stupid crosswalk or two, and I've had people freak the @#$% out for me walking my bike through a crosswalk. Let alone for me riding through at the same time as pedestrians (perfectly legal). Or similarly, that it's "illegal" for cyclists to push beg-buttons to make traffic lights change.

It is specifically legal to ride two abreast in Indiana. You are allowed to overtake and pass a twosome, but not ride continuously three abreast. Still, it is courteous for the twosome to single up to let faster cyclists and cars by.

In Indiana, passing on the right is allowed for drivers if a car is stopped or turning left and there is room to pass safely. So assuming a 3' rule (not actually passed in Indiana, but a defensible "safe distance" based on some municipal laws in Indiana and other state's laws), then it would be legal. I have seen some "filtering up" especially on New York videos that make me cringe because there was maybe one foot to each side. There is a law here that you cannot pass if you can't return to your lane within 100' of an intersection. However if the lane is wide enough to allow a car and bicycle side by side safely, then there is no returning to the lane to consider. I have been passed numerous times approaching 3 and 4-way stops where the overtaking motorist ended up stopped in the left lane. Qualifies for reckless driving here.

My impression is that most officers do not know these nuance, and motorists sure don't to any useful degree.

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^ I'd say neither officers nor motorists care either way. Or maybe I'm too cynical.
    dang

weirdo
    I like this one:
    This is the safest way for a cyclist to turn left, since it avoids crosswalks and sidewalks.
    Huh? Whether from the straight lane or the turn lane there should be no sidewalks involved and an equal number (from zero to two) of crosswalks. No mention of the LT lane avoiding cutting across the extra lane(s) of traffic.

^ I'd say neither officers nor motorists care either way.
    Hmmm... could be on to something there.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Not sure about the riding two abreast.....cops certainly don't enforce it everywhere....It is definitely signed that way on hwy 8 to Bragg Creek....so maybe by signage only?

Passing on the right is legal and I have passed many cops at stoplights over the years not even a twitch.

You can ride a bike in a crosswalk....but you are not a pedestrian.....as soon as two feet hit the ground you become a pedestrian...

I like to blow up road raggers that get all excited about it....especially in stop and go traffic or school zones when the kids are getting out....I just get off perform a broad deep bow (pedestrian wise) then get back on and ride...it takes just a fraction longer than riding across without getting off....more often than not they get the point.

You can push all the buttons you want....

The buttons are relatively basic PLC's they cant remember much...but when they do traffic studies that's how the figure out how many peds are crossing per day....So I always just sit there hitting the button off and on...to increase the count if anyone is looking.

Had a cop telling all the bikers to slow down on a sidewalk in an underpass...he was telling every one that it was illegal to ride on the sidewalk...but it was okay cause it was way too dangerous to make everyone ride on the road (two lanes no shoulders 60 km/h speeders.

Anyway he got about three of us stopped, and started his spiel....but the sidewalk is actually shown on the city maps as a MUP....so we are all telling him this....havn't seen the cops back there in years. So maps and signage override general laws around here anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Not sure about the riding two abreast.....cops certainly don't enforce it everywhere....It is definitely signed that way on hwy 8 to Bragg Creek....so maybe by signage only?
    Totally illegal in Alberta, unless you're in a parade:

Post Bike Commuter News-czrgvlxwkaeaejj.jpg

It seems pretty random and petty, but it's explicit.

I've always wondered how the organized group rides handle it (I assume they have no clue).

mtbr member
    Totally illegal in Alberta, unless you're in a parade:

Name:	CZrgvLXWkAEaejj.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	1047577

It seems pretty random and petty, but it's explicit.

I've always wondered how the organized group rides handle it (I assume they have no clue).
    We ride two abreast out in Ardrossan in the spring unless the shoulder is too narrow, then we ride single file. The two abreast thing is more to make sure that motorists realize that there is a group of us on the road and we don't surprise them. The shoulder has to be sufficiently wide enough for us to ride side by side, as well.

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, boohoo, about as "unfair" as cars passing bikes just before the light. Too bad, so sad. That is the beauty of riding a bike, get out of your car and ride a bike -or carpool -if you don't want to sit through multiple light cycles!

weirdo
    I hope they have either electric assist or a downhill getaway route!
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Not always a good idea, but she sure has nerves of steel...
    Market Street Cyclist Stands up to Road Rager | Streetsblog San Francisco

Moderator Moderator
    Around here, several carwashes leave an icy trail across and down the street.

Court upholds $439K awarded to cyclist who slipped on car wash's wet pavement, broke hip | OregonLive.com

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^ That seems kind of steep. To me the one most at fault was the driver parked in the bike lane, and they were the only one deemed not at fault. Crazy stuff.

Leaving icy trails down the street would be quite a different story, though.
    dang

mtbr member
    Distracted Driver In Victoria B.C. Continues Texting After Rear-Ending Police Cruiser

Distracted Driver In Victoria B.C. Continues Texting After Rear-Ending Police Cruiser

A woman rear-ended a police car in Victoria, B.C. on Saturday because she was texting and driving.

But after hitting the cruiser, she kept on texting:

Const. Matt Rutherford said the officer and police dog were not hurt, but the female driver and a child were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The suspect's car suffered damage to its front end, and the driver was issued a $167 ticket for using an electronic device while driving.

The Victoria police department shared a photo of the text exchange on its Twitter account Wednesday night, but deleted the tweet a few hours later after public backlash.
    So I'm posting this partly because yeah, drivers are stupid, but also because of the police department's reasoning for removing the driver's text:
    Post Bike Commuter News-untitled.jpg

And that's really strange, because anytime that a pedestrian or cyclist is killed the replies immediately turn to shaming, but I've never seen a police department intervene and ask for a reasonable discussion.

mtbr member
    This didnt make the national news so I missed it. tbh they're lucky their getaway vehicles were still there when they came out!
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

weirdo
    Wow, some huevos right there!
    Recalculating....

NDD
    mtbr member
    @Newf, I know what you're talking about. Its somehow ok to shame the cyclist who is often the victim. But honestly, shaming this lady would have been pretty appropriate.
    dang

weirdo
    I wonder if she`s related to that deer crossing lady. Maybe she IS the deer crossing lady
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^ That seems kind of steep. To me the one most at fault was the driver parked in the bike lane, and they were the only one deemed not at fault. Crazy stuff.

Leaving icy trails down the street would be quite a different story, though.
    Hmm. I don't claim to understand how the pain of breaking a hip can be appraised at 500K. As someone who has broken a few things over the years.

And I do pass a car wash every morning that does create a long trail of glare ice out into otherwise dry streets in the winter.

I just, ya know... steer around it. I'm apparently doing it wrong.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Hmm. I don't claim to understand how the pain of breaking a hip can be appraised at 500K. As someone who has broken a few things over the years.

And I do pass a car wash every morning that does create a long trail of glare ice out into otherwise dry streets in the winter.

The more I think about it, the more I think the rider should have been able to maintain through a puddle. If not, then they should have waited for the car to move. Maybe not fair, but more fair than that settlement.
    dang

mtbr member
    One of the newspaper columnists from jeffscott's neck of the woods put this together:

Babin: The ultimate guide to choosing the right winter bike | Calgary Herald

Post Bike Commuter News-winter_cycle32.jpg

(probably easiest to go to the article to see the whole gigantic image)

Moderator Moderator

Who has the right to use that street? The car wash that doesn't own it or you and me???? Feeling some victim blaming here.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Who has the right to use that street? The car wash that doesn't own it or you and me???? Feeling some victim blaming here.
    From my memory, the puddle in question was off the street in the car wash lot. The cyclist went into the lot because a motorist was blocking the bike path (or street/shoulder). The one most at fault, by my understanding of the situation is the motorist who, mind you, got away with no punishment.

I think neither the car wash owner nor the cyclist was at fault. So it's really very unfair to that business owner. Not fair to the cyclist, either, since they had to leave their space thanks to a careless driver, but does making an innocent party pay $500k make up for that? I'd say not.
    dang

Moderator Moderator
    Talking about this

NDD
    mtbr member
    Talking about this
    Well, yeah, that's rather anecdotal. I'll admit to thinking the cyclist should be able to handle a puddle. Soapy or not. I think maybe I was victim blaming more.
    dang

mtbr member
    This from the BBC today

'Cunning thieves conceal sabotaged cycle rack to steal bike'

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35669181
    Make sure what you lock to is secure

NDD
    mtbr member
    That's a shame. I can't stand people's macho bs.

I would have assumed the guy already knew he was in the bike lane, though.
    dang

CB of the East
    Not really commuting but really cool.
    Ostrich Goes Full 'Road Runner' To Chase Down Cyclists

mtbr member
    A bit off-topic but I would like to come back to the previous page, about the postings concerning bamboo bikes.

I visited a bikefair last weekend and also attended a presentation from a couple who rode from Hamburg to China on bikes with a bamboo frame. After the presentation I talked to them about the bikes and apparently both bikes held up well, one joint had loosened but they could glue everything back together easily.

Their website (via google translate, since in German):
    https://translate.google.de/translat...%2F&edit-text=

The bike tubes were much thicker than we know from steel bikes, and the lugs were made from bamboo as well as it looked:
    Attachment 1055911

The brake mount caught my eye :
    Post Bike Commuter News-dscn9932.jpg

The German company MyBoo sponsored both bikes. Apparently the frames are made in Africa and when you buy one, a certain amount is donated to the project to keep it going.

I posted this because I think it proves that bamboo bikes are capable of something and addresses some of the concerns that were raised.

mtbr member
    ^ as I understand it those lugs are made of lots epoxy and lots of twine, and then even more epoxy.

If you search mtbr quite a few users have done DIY bamboo frames. They're pretty cool to read through.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    The brake mount caught my eye :

Name:	DSCN9932.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	1055914

The German company MyBoo sponsored both bikes. Apparently the frames are made in Africa and when you buy one, a certain amount is donated to the project to keep it going.

I posted this because I think it proves that bamboo bikes are capable of something and addresses some of the concerns that were raised.
    I have seen those ones before. They do look very stout and I am sure it is a very capable and sturdy bike. I wouldn't mind owning one actually. My statement that what developing countries really need in a bike is hauling capacity still stands though. I don't know how well these would hold up to hauling. It could do very well.
    dang

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links Dutchman, interesting bikes!

NDD - I think bamboo can take a lot of load and stresses. Google bamboo scaffolding and take a look. I realise a lot of that is in compression but the lateral stresses will be pretty big too I imagine.

Post Bike Commuter News-bamboo-scaffold.jpg

weirdo
    I like the look of bamboo between the joints, but the big wrapped unions just look "BLECH!", look too much of arthritic knuckles. Renovo laminated bamboo frames are pretty sexy, but I guess they`re just second cousins to the MyBoo bikes.

The part abut the project and donations reminded me of something I had read years ago about similar thing- a whole project devoted to working bikes in Africa, involving donations plus teaching local workers to build and repair bikes. I have a picture in my mind of a pedalless bike loaded up with coffee bags like a big single tracked push cart. Tried unsuccessfully to Google it back up just now and ran into interesting page:
    Bicycle Projects In Africa, Asia, and Latin America
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    NDD - I think bamboo can take a lot of load and stresses. Google bamboo scaffolding and take a look. I realise a lot of that is in compression but the lateral stresses will be pretty big too I imagine.

Name:	bamboo scaffold.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	332.4 KB 
ID:	1056061
    I was going to say that the problem with bamboo bikes for developing countries is all the labor involved. (unless your goal is to employ people, which isn't a bad thing). You really need something that can be assembled quickly and reliable, and that can be repaired quickly and reliably. And all the wrapping and epoxying and sanding just can't compare to steel, right?

But that scaffolding does make a pretty good case against me.

mtbr member
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

NDD
    mtbr member
    I was going to say that the problem with bamboo bikes for developing countries is all the labor involved. (unless your goal is to employ people, which isn't a bad thing). You really need something that can be assembled quickly and reliable, and that can be repaired quickly and reliably. And all the wrapping and epoxying and sanding just can't compare to steel, right?

But that scaffolding does make a pretty good case against me.
    It may not make a good case against you in terms of ease of repair. It seems to me anything with wood and epoxy would only kinda fit back together if you replaced anything.

On the other hand, it'd be replaceable. Like any grass, bamboo can grow quick enough.
    dang

CB of the East
    Cool!

weirdo

Damn, I`m two hours too late to order!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Not news, but people might enjoy this:

Gianluca Gimini - *product design & visual communication - homepage

So this is not another one of those "A bunch of industrial designers who don't ride bikes decide to fix all of the things that are 'wrong' with bikes and invent the bike of the 'future' but it actually ends up being terrible, and then they add bluetooth of course" things.

This is just a guy who asked people to draw what they thought bikes looked like, and then he rendered them all fancy-like.

mtbr member

IKEA Bike

Yep, IKEA, everyones favouritest/worstest furniture supplier is entering the bike market with a commuter/all purpose belt drive machine.

Post Bike Commuter News-ikea-bike.jpg

Not much detail yet but a couple links to some early concept reviews.

https://gearjunkie.com/meet-the-new-...816e3-22842893

Ikea announces Sladda urban bike - BikeRadar

mtbr member

mtbr member

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    That or somebody had a history with him. Unfortunately given events earlier this week that level of road rage doesn't seem out of the question, though.
    dang

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I love that story!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    awful!! in the news article it is reported that the truck was reported to police 30 minutes before he killed the cyclists but it has no additional info. did the cyclists report him? were they being harassed prior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bicycle injuries keep Colo. governor in hospital
    By STEVEN K. PAULSON (AP) – 2 hours ago

DENVER — Doctors say Gov. Bill Ritter will stay in the hospital for three or four days recovering from broken ribs and a separated shoulder he suffered in a bicycle wreck.

Doctors said he can return to work as soon as he's released from the hospital if he's up to it.

Dr. Carlton Barnett, Ritter's surgeon, said Wednesday the governor suffered six broken ribs and a separated shoulder Tuesday when he ran into another cyclist and tumbled from his bike.

He said the governor is in fair condition at Denver Health Medical Center and will stay there for three or four days to make sure he takes his pain medication and to prevent possible complications, including pneumonia.

The governor is also undergoing rehabilitation, including breathing exercises.

Ritter was one of five bicyclists about 2 1/2 miles north of the governor's mansion shortly after 6 a.m. Tuesday when his wheel hit the wheel of a man in front of him. The other cyclist had a minor wrist injury and wasn't hospitalized, according to Ritter's spokesman, Evan Dreyer. Dreyer said the cyclists were going about 15 mph at the time.

None of the other cyclists were identified.

Dreyer said Ritter was still in charge of the state, but it wasn't clear when the governor would be able to return to work. Dreyer said several appointments were turned over Lt. Gov. Barbara O'Brien, including reading to fourth-graders for the national Read Across America Day.

Kalee Tilli, a Denver paramedic who took Ritter to the hospital in an ambulance, said the governor was sitting on the sidewalk when help arrived, talking with the other cyclists about the accident.

"He was clearly in a lot of pain," she said.

Barnett said Ritter should be well enough to throw out the first pitch on opening day April 9 if the Colorado Rockies invite him.

"He might have to move up closer to home plate," Barnett said.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    If he were riding with Al Haig, different ending about who is in charge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    based on the pictures the bikes look like they fit the bank robbers, probably their personal rigs.

how far and quickly can you get away on bikes before the cops arrive? traffic must be awful?

mtbr member
    If you can not afford (or dont want to) a whole new cargobike:

The Lift turns your ordinary bicycle into a front-loading cargo bike - Bikerumor

weirdo
    Cool! Looks even better than XtraCycle.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wonder how they deal with the front brake cable if it's not meant to be a permanent attachment? Also, no mention of weight ratings?

Cool concept though if it works well.

weirdo
    In the video, it looks like the guy hooks up the bike`s original cable to some kind of coupler that activates the brake on the cargo bed. Yeah, weight rating really ought to be with the prominent info- I didn`t look for it, though.
    Recalculating....

NDD
    mtbr member
    If you can not afford (or dont want to) a whole new cargobike:

The Lift turns your ordinary bicycle into a front-loading cargo bike - Bikerumor
    Don't tell my girlfriend about this! She's been looking for a way for me to push her around using my bike for years. I guess she's not considering getting a rickshaw.

Edited to make sense.
    dang

mtbr member
    Yes read somewhere that you need cable brakes for it to work. Furthermore in the video that shows the conversion, it looks at the start that the guy already detached the wheel and the brake cable before entering the scene. I think for me the weight is not a top priority since you will haul big loads with it anyway. I rather would like ro see more in detail how it is coupled to the bike exactly, including steering mechanism, brake cable coupling and attachment to the bottom bracket. And the question remains how a regular bike frame reacts to the stress on the long term. On the other hand, this seems to be for more occasional use only.

This might also work when on vacation with a fixed camp: put front wheel and gear in the cargo box, ride somewhere, set up camp for a few days and ride around with the regular bike. Anymore thoughts and possibilities?

weirdo
    I think for me the weight is not a top priority since you will haul big loads with it anyway. I rather would like to see more in detail how it is coupled to the bike exactly, including steering mechanism, brake cable coupling and attachment to the bottom bracket. And the question remains how a regular bike frame reacts to the stress on the long term.
    By "weight rating", I`m pretty sure F4S meant the rated carrying capacity, not the weight of the add on. That`s what I was commenting about, anyway.

Yeah, I`m curious about the steering too. For fixed (non-separable) bikes with the little wheel way out in front like that, I have seen both cable and linkage methods. Wonder how they do this one and how they tie it in to the forks drops on the base bike.

I don`t think the contraption would add much stress to the existing bike. Not an engineer here, just trying to impersonate one
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I like that, clever. My guess is the fork dropouts fit onto a bar, similar to the roof mounts you can get, that in turn links to the front wheel. Not sure about the BB end though.

Interesting article on the BBC site about cycling in the US. Some scary fatality figures too

How the humble bicycle is making a comeback in US cities - BBC News

Also an interesting product to make any bike into an electric bike.

https://www.geoo.com/

mtbr member
    Ok I got it now - their website states a maximum cargo weight of 70kg/150lbs. That is a lot of beer.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Ok I got it now - their website states a maximum cargo weight of 70kg/150lbs. That is a lot of beer.
    Boy I wouldn't think about pushing more than that anyway! That plus bike is already over my body weight. I wonder how difficult it is to push a well adjusted load though... Do I have to be a guinea pig?
    dang

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've got a bakfiets already and on flat ground it's really not bad at all. Climbs are a bit of a chore but even then it's better than I expected it would be. I've taken my 80lb dog on my work commute a half dozen times, had my dog plus fiance on the front for leisure rides around the neighborhood, picked up 160 pounds of top soil from Home Depot plus assorted other randomness. I'm not breaking any land speed records but it's all been easily manageable.

150 pounds excludes a lot of adults from riding in the front, and you'd be surprised how many want to. Still, for the price it seems really cool.

NDD
    mtbr member

I love this story, just read it right now. The reason that guy started riding is the same reason I did - being cheap. But it is good fun, and for me (and maybe a few others) the commute is the only chance for exercise on a normal day, so it's worth the time.

People often ask me "how long does it take you to bike to campus?". I tell them "It's a hair over 11 miles, so 35 - 45 minutes, depending on how feisty I feel". I usually get the response that that's too much time to spend getting from place to place. Then it's an argument about quality of life and what else I would be doing with that time. Funny thing is, some of these people live far enough away that it takes them as long to drive as it does me to bike. So...?
    dang

mtbr member

Born With A Tail
    Sounds like he really needs a light.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Not really quite sure what to say about this...

Footage shows car using path to undertake cyclists - BBC News

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Not really quite sure what to say about this...

Footage shows car using path to undertake cyclists - BBC News
    Wow that seems needlessly confrontational.
    dang

mtbr member

NDD
    mtbr member
    Skunklock. Apparently has to be cut with an angler grinder to release foul chemicals.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37732748
    dang

mtbr member
    Skunklock. Apparently has to be cut with an angler grinder to release foul chemicals.
    "Our formula irreversibly ruins the clothes worn by the thief or any of the protection they may be wearing,"

So does a bike with cloth or leather handlebar tape or thin gumwall over cotton tires end up stinking, too?

NDD
    mtbr member
    "Our formula irreversibly ruins the clothes worn by the thief or any of the protection they may be wearing,"

So does a bike with cloth or leather handlebar tape or thin gumwall over cotton tires end up stinking, too?
    Probably. This is one of those things that sounds Awesome for five seconds until you realize all of the ways it could go wrong. I would be miffed, to say the least, if my panniers ended up smelling like skunk funk.

As a concept I thought it was pretty funny though.
    dang

mtbr member
    Well the idea is good but I dont think many thieves use an angle grinder outside. I think more when they steal the bike, bring it somewhere else and then grind through the lock. So it would basically work, when you lock your bike to something outside (duh....) Cutters are more widely used so there it would do the job. And there are are many other ways to destroy a lock, drilling out the key cylinder probably would not trigger the skunk function. Not to mention a skilled lock picker....

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

NDD
    mtbr member
    When you're cold, their cold. Bring your bikes inside folks.
    dang

Moderator Moderator
    Beantown bikers benefit - infrastructure improvements improving safety...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...puN/story.html

mtbr member

NDD
    mtbr member
    What the heck?
    dang

CB of the East
    It looks like it might be great in the lab. Out on the road with dirt and stuff, not so much. Hell of a wheelbase though.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    ^ Ooops! He was lucky but half cyclist fault imo, riding up the inside of traffic not on a lane. Might be the norm for London, don't know, only been there once.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Good spot Dutchman. I saw that on the news a few weeks back but forgot to post it. Like you say, hopefully it will spread.

mtbr member

Straight out tha traila
    California rolling stop might become legal, for bikes anyway haha.

California bicyclists would be allowed to roll past stop signs under proposed law - LA Times
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ng-and-cycling

Very good statement in the last sentence:
    "It is time to start designing cities around people, not around cars."

CB of the East

mtbr member
    Very sad newss today. Stumbled over this in a german forum. The guy was a very wellknown long distance cyclist:

Champion cyclist Mike Hall killed in accident during Indian Pacific Wheel Race

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Cycling to work can cut cancer and heart disease, says study

Cycling to work can cut cancer and heart disease, says study - BBC News

CB of the East
    Those are some pretty dramatic results!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    "But, during the course of the study, regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%, the incidence of cancer by 45% and heart disease by 46%.

The cyclists clocked an average of 30 miles per week, but the further they cycled the greater the health boon."

30 miles per week is all you need? Some of the guys here might live forever...

CB of the East
    I do 30 miles in 1-1/2 round trips. But I have other bad habits that will keep me from living forever. .

It didn't list how many died from pickup trucks and buses.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    None near me unfortunately but good news all the same

Google Street View used to discover 'lost' cycle ways - BBC News

since 4/10/2009
    Indy named 'most-improved' bike-friendly city

Positive news, especially considering how poorly the city ranks for health and its parks district.

Straight out tha traila
    Degenerate people giving us gun owners a bad name again.
    Texas man shoots cyclist from car to 'blow off steam,' police say | Fox News
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

For what it's worth, Strava shows that it was well used: Strava Global Heatmap
    OT, but important: Go the the url below and ask Strava to update their annual Heatmap data.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...map-comparison

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    #fakenews

I kid. I kid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    #fakenews

I kid. I kid.
    Haha - It's a weird perspective on something you think of as being a healthy activity. I'd be curious to see studies in more than just New York.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaughtto View Post
    Haha - It's a weird perspective on something you think of as being a healthy activity. I'd be curious to see studies in more than just New York.
    Oh, it totally makes sense.

That's one of the nice things about riding through the countryside...well except for the manure smell and occassionally getting "coal rolled" by a passing redneck.

mtbr member
    Hit and run caught and charged. Claimed he "did not see" cyclist. So why was he way left of center on a double line?

Man charged in Natchez Trace Parkway hit-and-run said cyclist 'threw the bike at his car'

mtbr member
    ^^ Thinking of this, I remember having a couple of drivers who were passing cutting back over once I was behind the front passenger's door. I think they assume we are like pedestrians or traffic cones and stationary or nearly so and never check their clearance as they come over. He did not see the cyclist because he did not look. How he missed the sound of the hit is another matter.

mtbr member
    Some positive interaction between cyclists and drivers:

Http://theradavist.com/2017/07/touring-bike-vs-grizzly/

mtbr member
    ^ If he wasn't on a fully loaded touring bike, the bear might have been incentive for a KOM.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hit and run caught and charged. Claimed he "did not see" cyclist. So why was he way left of center on a double line?

Man charged in Natchez Trace Parkway hit-and-run said cyclist 'threw the bike at his car'
    wow! guy sounds like he is sorry he got caught. "not the kind of person I am". sorry but you am that person.

if he did not see the cyclist then what was he doing with his vehicle 80% in opposing lane? is he kind of person who likes playing chicken with opposing traffic?

it is possible he did not see the cyclist he hit, but my gut reaction to the guy's explanation is that he is a crafty liar.

mtbr member
    THE proof that we all should carry cameras. And instead of debating about "privacy" , dashcams should become compulsary.

mtbr member
    I think things are getting some momentum in change over here. This guy has been given a custodial sentence. There was talk of her being on a mobile at the time but that was in one of earlier reports and either wasnt true or has just fell by the wayside.

Charlie Alliston: Cyclist detained over pedestrian death - BBC News

there is talk of actually enforcing laws that penalise red light jumpers but cyclists as a whole are being more considered as an equal roadusers with close passing cars being stopped if seen etc. We'll see.

mtbr member
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...pped-stevenage

Interesting conclusion: people ride only when it is easier than driving.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I now know more about Stevenage than I did. It's maybe 90 miles from me but I've never been there, Not a holiday destination so no reason to but the bike routes do look interesting.

CB of the East
    ^^Interesting to see that Bridgestone logo on a new bike. They haven't sold them here in the states since I bought mine in 1993 I think.
    Post Bike Commuter News-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    The airless tire with mechanical springs idea on the Bridgstone bike was used on Austrian built trucks in WW I. They could not handle cornering forces at speeds much above a trot. Hopefully the bike system will not twist with a side force. The trucks used coil springs with too little lateral stiffness.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bicycle Friendly Delaware Act signed into law | Bike Delaware Inc.

Delaware gets the "Idaho Stop". We are now the second state to allow bicycles to yield at stop signs, though I still stop out of habit.

They also changed the 3 foot passing law to making it mandatory for cars to change lanes when passing, but I expect it will never be enforced, much like the 3 foot passing law we had before.

mtbr member
    If you scan down this article, it appears to be more dangerous to be a pedestrian than a cyclist (tongue in cheek). Of course there are a lot more pedestrians and I assume pedestrian miles, but at first glance it seems to suggest that fixing that tire and not walking the bike the last bit to work or home is safer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...cid=spartandhp

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you scan down this article, it appears to be more dangerous to be a pedestrian than a cyclist (tongue in cheek). Of course there are a lot more pedestrians and I assume pedestrian miles, but at first glance it seems to suggest that fixing that tire and not walking the bike the last bit to work or home is safer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...cid=spartandhp
    wow! great article!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    https://translate.googleusercontent....hFCfnuQ0ZDfhLQ

Via google translator:

Sometimes people in holland do not ride the bike because the bicycle paths are overcrowded...

mtbr member
    Interesting one there Dutchman, people driving to work as the cyleways are too crowded quite the antithesis of the way things work.

CB of the East

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

Moderator Moderator
    "For 20 minutes, the self-driving Bolts traversed the hilly, narrow and congested streets of the city’s Dogpatch neighborhood — stopping for pedestrians, slowing to pass double-parked vehicles, navigating gently away from bicycles."
    from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/29/b...less-cars.html

Moderator Moderator

NDD
    mtbr member
    Ok, but you have to admit it looked more like he tripped when trying to dismount quickly and run. Kinda funny.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/68dph_NDrdE

Make a donation and help people to become a bike commuter!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    https://www.bicycling.com/culture/co...ecrets/slide/4

maybe there is a tip for anyone - although we are all pros, you never know

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Not sure if this one should be in the "news" or "hero" section
    https://patch.com/california/sanrafa...train-commuter

mtbr member
    After watching this I am seriously considering to ditch the ortlieb office pannier and go for some sort of a trunk bag..

https://youtu.be/wdfB5fbVHck

mtbr member

mtbr member
    ^^The license suspension and retest may bite more.

mtbr member
    Maybe not commuters but cat bait:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/worldn...te-north-bend/

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Owner likley used a steel to stop someone stealing his bike. Poetic justice.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1...sharpener.html

NDD
    mtbr member
    Owner likley used a steel to stop someone stealing his bike. Poetic justice.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1...sharpener.html
    This is incredible. Also, I feel like a knife isn't the kind of thing you pull on somebody unless you really know what you're doing and are committed, otherwise this happens.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Maybe not a bike commuter (maybe he does some, who knows?) but a nice story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-...cid=spartanntp

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Sweet story and pretty impressive piggyback ride by the cyclist.

Moderator Moderator
    'f**king b**ch' https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37111405.html

A woman bikecommuter in Burlington VT reported being intimidated and called the b-word by motorists twice last week, just for riding. Unacceptable!

Moderator Moderator
    Wasn't sure if this should go here or in Too Crazy Not to Share...
    Cyclists shoots bikecommuting doctor.
    https://www.newsweek.com/cyclist-who...-fully-1039740

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

Former Bishop Who Killed Cyclist Requests Reduced Sentence

Moderator Moderator

A Bus Driver Is Found Guilty in a Citi Bike Death. Cyclists See a Victory.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, I will share in the women's forum if someone hasn't already.

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator
    Cyclist's luminous jacket and front and rear lights did not save her, but did result in a guilty verdict for the bus driver:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...list-1.3674182

Moderator Moderator
    DC Bikecommuter hit and run arrest
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...497271441.html

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, if this isn't a close call I don't know what is:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...issing-cyclist

mtbr member
    Cyclist's luminous jacket and front and rear lights did not save her, but did result in a guilty verdict for the bus driver:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...list-1.3674182
    Now I dont want to start a pro/con helmet debate, but unfortunately she had not closed the helmet strap causing it to fly away before hitting the ground with the back of her head, and that's what killed her in the end :-/

Nevertheless its also true that the bus driver could and should have seen her, and also that he should have understood that she was in the way when taking the turn.

Moderator Moderator
    I thought I had a thread called the worst of the worst, but couldn't find it. Nonetheless...
    https://abc7.com/police-claremont-wo...JCftkFSrsatoRc

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15