Post Bike Commuter News - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    ^ yay.

I'd love helmet manufacturers and testing agencies to try to actually improve helmet effectiveness.

Or that things like POC's MIPS technology would be more widely available.

I really don't want to wear a DOT rated downhill lid, but that seems to be one of the few areas where it's actually taken seriously.

mtbr member
    It seems Boston's Bicycle Director, Nicole Freedman is one of the 5/4 of people who have trouble with fractions, and statistics:

Boston Bike Report Wrongly Blamed Cyclists for Most Collisions | Streetsblog.net

The article asks that police delve a bit deeper into " I did not see the cyclist."

I was blind drunk.
    I was screaming at the kids in the backseat.
    It's night and I'm wearing sunglasses.
    I can't see anything anyway.
    I was busy texting by girl/boy friend back.
    I was enjoying my hamburger and it squirted down my front.
    What do you mean, what do I mean by I did not see the bike? How can I when I'm checkin' out the babes on the other side of the street?

I am for this but is will be fodder for Jon Stewart, I'm sure.

weirdo
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Cyclists urged to look at locks as bike thefts jump - Edmonton - CBC News

Pretty dumb. Interview a guy who doesn't know how to lock his bike, and apparently hasn't learned from his 4 past mistakes since he's still using a cable (but now it's a $35 cable). Show a $135 lock which people of course won't buy, and not the perfectly good $30 U-locks that are out there. Show people repeatedly locking their bikes with cables, even though this is a story about preventing bike theft. And don't actually give clear, concise instructions on what people should do - u-lock the frame, cable the wheels, and record the serial #.

since 4/10/2009
    Not exactly commuter-related, but a multiuse trail in Kokomo, IN was booby-trapped by someone who left carpet tacks coated in motor oil on the trail for a charity event and somewhere around 30 people turned up with flats.

Community bike ride sabotaged by 'tack attack' » Local News » Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

mtbr member

mtbr member
    The driver who hit 4 cyclists and killed 2 of them in NH last week is being charged with negligent homocide:

Massachusetts woman killed in charity bike ride in Ohio - Boston.com

weirdo
    ^^I read the "headline" for that story, but not the details, and hadn`t heard yet about no license and the speeding stop that directly preceded the accident. Talk about asking for trouble.
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    This is the most recent update. My wife's friend was in that ride.
    Darriean Hess charged in crash that killed two bicyclists | SeacoastOnline.com Mobile Edition

mtbr member
    So unexpectedly strange...

The new coach of the Edmonton Oilers is a bike commuter:
    Dallas Eakins: Gearing Up - Sportsnet.ca

And their new captain is apparently pretty bikey too:
    Greenovate Boston (Ep. 10) | National Geographic Channel

(I must admit that I'm a lapsed hockey fan, so right now this is the only thing that I know about the oilers beyond the fact that they finally won a game last night)

mtbr member
    I mentioned in another thread that this week we elected a very pro-bike mayor. But even before that, our transportation department was doing some very weird things:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/x9E1rRbkGg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    (I enjoy the videos, but wish we actually saw some of that cleverness in the actual design and implementation of bike infrastructure).

This is the local fishwrap's response:

Gunter: Bike-lane campaign won't get motorists to give up cars | Columnists | Opinion | Edmonton Sun

The city's transportation bureaucracy is so obsessed with expanding Edmonton's bike-lane network that it has thrown all common sense out the window.

We are to have bike lanes on most major roads whether they are needed or not.

No cyclists? No matter. If we create the lanes, the bicycle commuters will come...

The bike-lane strategy is a moralist and preachy campaign that will ultimately prove useless in convincing Edmontonians to give up their cars. In January. When it's minus-40.

since 4/10/2009
    The city of Carmel, Indiana just passed a new ordinance addressing cyclists, MUP users (esp dog walkers), and drivers near bicyclists and cycling facilities. Of note: MUP speed limits, requirement to signal intention to pass on MUP's, 3 foot rule enacted, anti-dooring, bicycle parking restrictions, requirement to use hand signals, requirement to use lights after dark. This is a pretty solid ordinance, IMO. Kudos to Carmel, IN.

http://media2.wishtv.com/_local/pdf/...el-bicycle.pdf

mtbr member
    ^ Decent. The speed limits set seem reasonable for the Monon. It isn't a race track. I assume that the 15 mph section has some access or other issues making a slower pace more prudent. Indiana does not require a cyclist to signal intent to turn in a left or a right turn lane (dedicated lane). This law does not supersede that. They don't seem to have addressed motor assisted bikes where you have to pedal to get assist.

since 4/10/2009
    Damn web browser lost my post on an errant click. Anyway, here's a map of Carmel.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.980474,-86.125174&amp;spn=0.047091,0.082226&amp;t=h&amp;z= 14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=39.980474,-86.125174&amp;spn=0.047091,0.082226&amp;t=h&amp;z= 14&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

The area in question passes through a very busy portion in the middle of the city, starting at Central Park at the southern end and ending just south of the intersection with US 31 on the north side of the city center.

Indy should have the same sorts of speed limits in its busier sections, too, esp going through Broad Ripple. VERY busy area.

You're right it doesn't specifically address e-bikes, but the thought may be that the ordinance as written also applies to them, so the speed limits can be enforced on them, also. Aside from that issue, I'm not sure what else would be necessary. There aren't many around here, honestly. I know of a Pugs outfitted with a Bionx kit, but it honestly would have a hard time breaking that 20mph limit. Spesh has probably sold some of its Turbo e-bikes (they were demoing those during the Hoosier Outdoor Experience this year) and they can certainly go fast enough...but at their price, I doubt many have been sold. I certainly can't recall seeing any in the wild.

since 4/10/2009
    S. Ind. city adds 20 miles of bike, walking paths

Another Indiana city makes progress in its quest for a higher LAB cycling friendly city score.

mtbr member

weirdo

Just plain commuter news...

from an Ausie chapter of the sOckeyeus fan club, maybe:
    Legs bared for annual No Pants commute
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Hilarious!

since 4/10/2009
    Indianapolis Cultural Trail is about more than just bikes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/tr...?smid=fb-share

directionless white male
    Mar 2008
    Disclaimer: I ride really slow.

mtbr member
    This thread hasn't been used for a while, but I'll bring it back. Looks like a town near Boston is considering the Idaho stop. There's been a lot of news stories from there lately about cyclists breaking the law then refusing to show the police ID and getting arrested, so when I saw this headline I fully expected the change was going to be something bad for cyclists:

No Changes to Boston Bicycle Laws in Sight Despite Flurry of Interest - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

mtbr member
    This is priceless:

Councillor floating idea of bringing back bike licences | CTV Edmonton News

Councillor floating idea of bringing back bike licences

One City Councillor has brought forward the idea to bring back bike licences for cyclists in Edmonton, but some members of the city’s bicycle community doubt it would be a success.

Cyclists in Edmonton range from recreational riders to almost daily commuters – but it’s a transportation option that could cost cyclists more if Councillor Ed Gibbons’ idea goes through.

“People buy tickets to ride buses, we buy licences for our dogs and cats and a lot of other things, and chickens to beat,” Gibbons said. “But the fact is why aren’t we asking people to pay for a licence for a bike?”
    Gibbons said he would like to see cyclists who ride their bikes in their commute be required to licence their ride.

“I’m not talking the casual, the five-year-old and the family that goes on a bike once or twice a month or something like that,” Gibbons said. “I’m talking people that say they want to get to work cheaper.”

According to the head of the Bicycle Commuters Society, distinguishing different types of bike users would be a nightmare.

“Moms commute, dads commute, kids commute,” Christopher Chan said. “So you really can’t differentiate.”

Gibbons’ idea is not new, licences wereneeded for cyclists decades ago – but the reasons they were used and why they were dropped are questions City officials couldn’t answer.

The Councillor said he believes bringing licences back would keep cyclists from disobeying the rules of the road.

However, Chan argued that traffic laws apply to cyclists – whether they have a licence or not, pointing to road design.

“If you want cyclists to be safe, if you want cyclists to be respected, if you want cyclists to behave in a predictable, consistent manner it’s all about the design of your roads,” Chan said.

Gibbons plans to bring up the issue at a future City Council meeting.
    "I'm talking the people that say they want to get to work cheaper.”

What is that even supposed to mean?

He's not my councilor, but I'm going to have to email him. I just have to figure out the right mix of outrage and mockery for his whole stupid worldview.

And edited to add my email to him:

I am writing to comment on your suggestion that the city should reintroduce bike licenses.

I do not support this.

I have a provincial driver's license that permits me to operate a vehicle on the road as per the Alberta Traffic Safety Act and City of Edmonton traffic bylaw 5590. I pay property taxes to the City of Edmonton, and taxes at the provincial and federal levels. I have multiple bicycles.

I realize that news stories can often misquote politicians, but the way your comments have been reported makes them appear completely arbitrary and discriminatory:

“I’m not talking the casual, the five-year-old and the family that goes on a bike once or twice a month or something like that. I’m talking people that say they want to get to work cheaper.”

Is the City of Edmonton also planning to tax drivers of hybrids or electric vehicles who "say they want to get to work cheaper.” If that is the case, I believe it would make the City of Edmonton a laughing-stock.

In either case, I don't ride a bike because I "say that I want to get to work cheaper," and therefore I assume that I would be exempt from your arbitrary and discriminatory proposal.

Perhaps Council should attempt to address safety issues by enforcing existing traffic laws - like the epidemic or drivers running crosswalks, drivers texting, drivers failing to signal, drivers failing to stop, drivers failing to obey the speedlimit, as well as cyclists who break the law.

In 2013 there were 24,803 collisions in Edmonton, of which bicycles were involved in 0.7% and were deemed at fault in only 0.3%. That leaves 99.7% or 24,723 collisions that were not due to cyclist error.

Bicycle Licensing has been shown to be a complete failure in other jurisdictions:

- it does not recoup costs, and as Chris Chan explained in the CTV article it is impossible to administer
    - it does not improve cyclist behaviour, because it does nothing to address the issues of education or poor infrastructure
    - it discourages cycling, which cities should be encouraging since cycling leads to a more healthy population while decreasing the load on road and transit networks

In the year 2014 a proposal to license bicycles is completely backwards.
    Last edited by newfangled; 10-17-2014 at 02:24 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    Roll a stop - send a cyclist to hospital? sure no prob!

Pickup collides with bicyclist near Shasta College - Redding
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Moderator Moderator
    ^^That's bad.

mtbr member
    ^ When my near collision doesn't even have a witnessing Deputy ask for the driver's license, insurance, and ownership papers, I am not too surprised with no citation being written. Hopefully, one will be with a review. Being semi conscious really affects our ability to defend ourselves after the fact as David C discovered.

mtbr member
    Some positive news:

How Boston Is Protecting Cyclists, One Truck at a Time - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

Mayor Marty Walsh has pioneered a new city truck ordinance that may help reduce some of the dangers that Boston’s cyclists face daily. A “Truck Side Guard Ordinance” was approved today following a unanimous vote by the city council.

Created in partnership with the Boston Cyclists Union and City Councilor Ayanna Pressley, the mandate will enforce heightened safety requirements on all city-contracted trucks. Specifically, vehicles over 10,000 pounds will now feature “side guards” to prevent cyclists from falling under the truck’s wheels in the event of a crash. Convex mirrors, cross-over mirrors, and blind-spot awareness decals are also included in the program’s measures in an effort to prevent crashes.

“We’re seeing more Bostonians choosing bikes as their primary mode of transportation, but with this increase in use, we’ve also seen an increase in crashes between cyclists and vehicles,” Walsh said in a statement. “Truck side guards are a low-cost feature that can be installed on trucks and that have the potential to save a life.”

While the new standards apply only to city-contracted trucks, Pressley also called upon private owners of similar trucks to “follow suit.”

The National Transportation Safety Board recommended that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration adopt the same protocol, but it has yet to do so. The initiative, the NTSB noted, wouldn’t just protect bicyclists: people in cars would also reduce the risk of their vehicle sliding under tractor trailers, which can cause serious injury or death. The board reported in April that “large truck side impacts comprised 15 percent of fatal two-vehicle collisions between large trucks and passenger vehicles during 2011.”

According to the mayor’s office, Boston is the first city in the country to compel city trucks to install guards. Countries including Japan, China, and Brazil require trucks to have guards, according to the Cyclists Union.

Though the ordinance is brand new and won’t take effect for another 180 days, it may have already saved a bicyclist’s life. Last July, a city garbage truck struck a man on a Hubway bike. According to Boston Magazine, the truck had side guards installed as part of a pilot program. The cyclist survived.

“Since 2010, 11 cyclists in Boston have died as a result of crashes with motor vehicles, and seven of those fatal incidents occurred between a cyclist and either a truck or a bus,” the mayor’s office said in a statement. “Mandated side guards on large trucks reduced deaths by 61 percent and serious injuries by 13 percent for cyclists in the United Kingdom according to a study completed by Transport For London.”

mtbr member
    Diane Rehm Show on Sharing the Road today at 10:00 or you can listen on line after the show:

The Diane Rehm Show

CB of the East

9 Things Drivers Need to Stop Saying in the Bikes vs. Cars Debate

Another well written article that all cyclists will agree with and most drivers will argue with.
    9 Things Drivers Need to Stop Saying in the Bikes vs. Cars Debate | WIRED

mtbr member
    Not news, but an opinion piece about Vancouver's mandatory helmet law:

Soapbox: Why we need to decriminalize bike helmets - Opinion - Vancouver Courier

Why is it, for example, that Vancouver and Seattle remain the only large cities on the continent where cycling without a helmet is prohibited by law?

...It is obvious that assigning a pair of traffic cops to park on a protected bike lane (statistically ten times safer than anywhere else in the city) for a few days each summer, to meet an arbitrary quota of $29 fines has little to do with keeping road users safe.

And when the vast majority of the cycling-specific violations issued by the VPD (405 — or 90 per cent — of 450 total tickets in the first half of 2014) are for not wearing a helmet, it becomes clear they are in fact just padding statistics with low-hanging fruit...

The police’s actions become all the more puzzling when you consider the fact that 11,097 of the 13,154 $29 fines issued between 2008 and 2012 remain unpaid.

Moderator Moderator
    No joke, he's fired...after tweeting:
    Think I just hit a cyclist.But Im late for work so had to drive off lol

BBC News - Cyclist crash 'joke' tweeter sacked from stockbrokers

Moderator Moderator

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    No joke, he's fired...after tweeting:
    Think I just hit a cyclist.But Im late for work so had to drive off lol

BBC News - Cyclist crash 'joke' tweeter sacked from stockbrokers
    Ha! Joke`s on you, buddy
    Recalculating....

CB of the East
    Not exactly news but media anyway. Posted from a local radio station.
    What Happens When a Driver Tailgates a Bicyclist? Karma! [VIDEO]

weirdo
    Awesome job, Officer!
    And that looked like a flat street to me. Damn, that cyclist was fast.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Not especially bike related - more to show that the cops here are morons:

Change of mindset needed for Edmonton’s Whyte Avenue says business association head | Metro

Murray Davidson, head of the Old Strathcona Business Association, said it’s time for the city to recognize that the area isn’t about cars. “We’re not just a major thoroughfare to go whizzing through with your vehicles. We’re a walkable, pedestrian-friendly community,” he said...Davidson said he would like to see traffic slowed down on the avenue and pedestrians given more focus...

Acting Sgt. Ian Smith, who works the Whyte Avenue beat, said enforcement can help, but because the area is a tourist spot it’s not a silver bullet. “You have people come here from places where jaywalking doesn’t exist,” he said.

Davidson said many of the collisions haven’t involved any jaywalking and drivers need to stay aware. “The last three I was at, pedestrians were in marked crosswalks, crossing with the right of way.
    We have sooooo few jaywalking fatalities, but the police take every chance they get to blame anyone but drivers. Such bs.

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Cyclist Rylan Kafara gets $6,000 bill after collision with SUV - Edmonton - CBC News

I wish the article had more details on what actually happened (or at least what was stated in both the accident reports).

Kafara was headed toward a red light at the corner of 112th Avenue and 68th Street, cycling home from a swim after work. A copy of his official collision statement says he was distracted when another cyclist cut across the road into the oncoming lane and blocked traffic. That’s when Kafara and the Toyota collided.

“Complete shock that it was actually happening,” he said. “Because I was slowing down for the intersection and this car was turning, I got up thinking it wasn’t that big a deal.”

...The [insurance] company responded, insisting Kafara had run a red light.

...He was surprised that an organization with more than $8 billion in assets would go to such lengths over a relatively small sum, with no witnesses to prove either side of the story.

...To be successful with a lawsuit, Wawanesa would have to prove not only that Kafara was at fault, but also negligent.
    This is the intersection.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Cyclist Rylan Kafara gets $6,000 bill after collision with SUV - Edmonton - CBC News

I wish the article had more details on what actually happened (or at least what was stated in both the accident reports).

This[/URL] is the intersection.
    Couple of things

The cyclist is probably not insured in any way for collision or for that matter PLPD...So he does not have an opposing insurance company to provide legal advise to oppose the car owners insurance company....

All insurance companies see this as taking candy from a baby, so they go after it hard...

Second the insurance company likely had information (possibly lies) from their insured stating that the cyclist ran the light. So if the cyclist does not mention that he did not run the red light, then it is kinda a slam dunk.

That is where your insurance agency helps you out, in the statements etc...

Remember every insurance company says make no statements except to the police.

weirdo
    Hmmm... interesting ideas here. IMO, it is reasonable to try to get a person responsible for causing damages to pay up, though really no telling from this story who was at fault. It does makes me wonder if any insurance companies will issue PL+PD for a bicycle.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Give it 10 to 20 years or so and cyclists will win the Car vs Bicycle debate
    BBC News - Driverless car review launched by UK government

I am pretty sure that the days of human controlled motor vehicles are numbered on city streets. As approx 90% of road accidents are caused by Human factors I am pretty sure human drivers will be banned from public roads pretty as soon as practical.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Hmmm... interesting ideas here. IMO, it is reasonable to try to get a person responsible for causing damages to pay up, though really no telling from this story who was at fault. It does makes me wonder if any insurance companies will issue PL+PD for a bicycle.
    Yup worth a couple of phone calls....gotta be out there and should be really cheap as well.

mtbr member
    Another story said you should be able to get it through home/tenant insurance. Or maybe even your credit card?

Cyclist gets hit with big bill from insurance company following crash - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

“I think in situations where they’re going after someone or they’re writing a letter, particularly when it’s coming from an insurance company lawyer, they’re banking on the person receiving it being frightened and at the very least entering into some kind of settlement arrangement.”

The best way to protect yourself, according to experts, is to have some kind of liability insurance.

“You just don’t know what could happen,” said personal injury lawyer Rick Mallett. “The insurance isn’t overly expensive. And you can get it through your homeowner’s or tenant’s coverage. What you want is personal liability coverage that’s not motor-vehicle related.”

Mallett added that sometimes your credit card might provide liability coverage.

mtbr member
    My house insurance covers me in the situation where I am at fault or the other guy can't be proven to be at fault.

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator
    City Council approves funding for bicycle detection technology | The Daily Texan

Surprised they are looking at a system that relies on cyclists having a smartphone and special app.

mtbr member
    "Anderson thinks having bikes in drive-thrus is dangerous for cyclists and could lead to more accidents and robberies at drive-thru windows, although he said he is not aware of any such incidents locally."

So this fact-less feeling is the basis to ban cyclists? Where is the customer is always right concept? This may be the rare case the municipal government may know better.

"When the city was considering the rule, Salt Lake County Sheriff James Winder raised public safety concerns. He said the hours when lobbies are usually closed, between 10 p.m. and 6 p.m. (sic 6 a.m.), are particularly dangerous because of dimly lit drive-thru lanes and the increased presence of drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol.'

The same is true of streets (re drunks) and some streets are unlit. So after risking life and limb to get to a fast food establishment, they can't get a burger because that would be unsafe? What a load of excrement. It is just a CYA so that the police are not embarrassed if a cyclist is hurt.

Mind you, I won't be rolling up to one. But I do use the cash machine at my bank on my bike.

mtbr member
    Surprised they are looking at a system that relies on cyclists having a smartphone and special app.
    Maybe the bike computer companies will add this feature. Wouldn't get all cyclists, but more of them.

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    ^ The issue with the union seems to be the criminal charge and arrest. Rather than being written up for a traffic violation. Hitting people is not a fender-bender. Only those bis drivers who killed or seriously injured someone were charged. Correcting enough to only bump someone, gets a pass.

This was a left hand turn by a bus and a failure of the operator to yield to a vulnerable street user. (Assuming the pedestrian did not run into the crosswalk and into the path of an already turning bus.) The Mayor is trying to say that motorists and bus drivers can't mow down pedestrians and get the slap on the wrist that was the prior status quo. The union is suggesting that the drivers drive more cautiously and to heck with bus schedules and blocking traffic. Seems like that Mayor is saying that pedestrians are not to be sacrificed on the altar of bus schedules and traffic flow, too so this may work.

mtbr member
    Edmonton cops tackle the snow on two fat wheels | Edmonton | News | Edmonton Sun

Winter isn't about to put a stick in the spokes of Old Strathcona beat cops. Constables Mike Zacharuk and Ryan Katchur are the first to test out fat bikes for the Edmonton Police Service -- a winter expansion of the mountain bike program that has been around since 2000...

On their first night out, the cycling duo were riding in -23C in the University area when they came across a group of people trying to rob a man. The stealthy mode of transportation surprised them and the constables were able to make an arrest...

"With the conditions in Edmonton six months out of the year with ice and snow, with the tires on these, I feel I have better traction, better stability, better mobility than actually out walking," Katchur said.

"It's unreal. We've ridden over sheer ice you couldn't even walk across. This tackled it with no problems."
    The link also has a video (although you have to sit through way too many commercials), but at the end of the video the police demonstrate some hilarious wintertime discbrake squeal/honking. Who needs a siren?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Edmonton cops tackle the snow on two fat wheels | Edmonton | News | Edmonton Sun

The link also has a video (although you have to sit through way too many commercials), but at the end of the video the police demonstrate some hilarious wintertime discbrake squeal/honking. Who needs a siren?

Watched the video looks fine...

Saw a couple of illegal riding on the sidewalk.....but that is what the cops do around here to....what ever makes the most sense seems to work.

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Regina to end bicycle licensing - Saskatchewan - CBC News

The City of Regina is preparing to scrap its bicycle licensing program, saying it isn't working and hardly anybody is buying them, anyway.

Under the city's Traffic Bylaw, it's mandatory for citizens to buy licences for their bikes. Furthermore, it's illegal to ride a bike on public property without a licence.

It costs just $5 and lasts a lifetime. The city says it sells 150 to 200 of them a year.

However, "it is presumed the vast majority of bicycles on the road are unlicensed," says a report going to a city committee on Thursday.

Meanwhile, the Regina police service hasn't ticketed anybody for an unlicensed bike in five years...

CB of the East
    ^^Why did you post that which just taunted me to read the inane comments? Why? Why? Why?

mtbr member
    ^ you can see comments? For me they show up as locked, and I'd actually thought about mentioning that because I was disappointed.

CB of the East
    Here's a taste:
    Mr. Lo Key

So, how do motorists identify and track down spandex warriors who, while breaking every known traffic law, damage our cars?

The only alternative seems to be to park on them.\

LARGE license plates, just like vehicles.

And PAID FOR, just like vehicles, with proper insurance.

The free ride given to spandex warriors must come to an end!

mtbr member
    I was just going to say that I was disappointed because I was still getting a blank screen, but they just appeared! Whoo!

CBC comments sections are great, because you get crazies from all across Canada.

mtbr member
    Alright, one more:

Proposal could see funicular built in Edmonton?s River Valley - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

I think it's really stupid, for reasons I'll get into in a second.

But it's also a really bizarre story. The pricetag is $24M, and the city will only have to pay $500k because somehow or other the rest of the funding has been secured from the federal and provincial governments. And that funding has to be used on this one specific project, and it has to be done by 2017. So the way this is being sold is "How can we afford not to?" (conveniently forgetting that the city will be responsible for operating costs and maintenance. And the almost-guaranteed cost overruns)

Now, why do I think this is stupid?

Partly it's because $24M could do a LOT of good elsewhere in the trail system rather than wasting it all in one stupid spot.

But also because this is a stupid spot. I'm not sure that anywhere is good, but this spot is particularly bad: in the middle of a bunch of roads, with no amenities, and no room for amenities.

It's also being sold as "Won't someone please think of the children? And the old people?? And the people with limited mobility???" And that's all well and good, except it ignores that once they get down there there's nowhere to actually go. And also that there are plenty of other ways to get down there.

So how does this tie into bike commuting? Well, I think the only people who will benefit from this are bike commuters.

This is a very flat city that has one 150' deep valley running down the middle of it. There is only one bridge that runs from top-of-bank to top-of-bank, and it's 2km away. That's the bridge that everyone detours to, particularly in the mornings when you're lazy and don't want to get sweaty.

So this funicular might maybe possibly be popular with a small segment of morning bike commuters. (and it is certainly cheaper than a second bridge, which would be astronomical)

I still think it's stupid though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Alright, one more:

This is a very flat city that has one 150' deep valley running down the middle of it. There is only one bridge that runs from top-of-bank to top-of-bank, and it's 2km away. That's the bridge that everyone detours to, particularly in the mornings when you're lazy and don't want to get sweaty.

So this funicular might maybe possibly be popular with a small segment of morning bike commuters. (and it is certainly cheaper than a second bridge, which would be astronomical).
    150 feet, not meters? It says the same on the article (55m) but I want to confirm because you are using km later. 150' would be about 1km at 4.5%. Not quite Mauna Kea. And more escalator-worthy than "funicular"-worthy if you ask me. I imagine bikecommuting in Edmonton gets pretty effing cold & harsh, but you'd seriously consider dismounting and waiting in line for a elevator for that?

mtbr member
    ^ nope, just 150'. As far as hills go around here, that's it.

But speaking of escalators (and funiculars) there's already this 1 1/2 blocks away:

Which is why this whole thing is so dumb. Anyone with mobility issues who really desperately wants access to that section of the valley already has an option.

An outdoor funicular adds nothing...except maybe possibly for a small segment of morning bike commuters who wouldn't be hauling their bikes up an indoor escalator.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    TBH when they referred to it as a funicular I was thinking about something more like this:

Post Bike Commuter News-montserrat_station.jpg

Which for 150' would be way beyond massive overkill.

As far as outdoor elevators go I've been on this one:

Post Bike Commuter News-675px-elevador_lacerda.jpg

Which was to be fair was really beautiful (actually a tourist hotspot and symbol of the city) but definitely underused (bikes are allowed, though) even though it goes to and from fairly busy areas of Salvador.

So yeah for $24M it's more than a bit ridiculous, for $500k infrastructure-wise it's really a bit of a bargain if it sees even a little business. Seems like a bit of a hassle for all but the laziest of bikecommuters, though, but let us know in a couple of years when it opens (no way any city is passing up on a 98% partner-financed building project, running costs be damned).

mtbr member
    I only mention bike commuters, because I saw someone online say that she would use it since she doesn't like getting sweaty on the ride to work.

Prior to that, I had no idea who would use it.

Every supporter of this thing supports it for other people: "I won't use it, but it will be great for seniors, and leprechauns, and unicorns. Isn't it about time that unicorns were finally able to access the river?" (which is a noble goal, except that the location is bad and there's already better access that no one uses)

I know that governments can do silly things, but this is the bizarrest one I've seen. Last year the group behind this were threatening to build it at a different location a few blocks west. That version of the "funicular" would have actually gone from nowhere to nowhere, replacing these stairs:
    Post Bike Commuter News-stairs.jpg

...and then running for 1.5km along basically level ground. That got laughed off, but then a year later they come back with another attempt.

CB of the East
    Not me, Not far from me. Feel free to jump in on the comments,
    School bus driver summonsed following confrontation with bicyclist | Local News - WMTW Home

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Not me, Not far from me. Feel free to jump in on the comments,
    School bus driver summonsed following confrontation with bicyclist | Local News - WMTW Home
    Wow you've only got like 3 idiots on that comment section and the rest are well informed cyclists that aren't being stupidly condescending! I"m impressed. Any article around here about cyclists is filled with inane jabbering about the one time they saw a cyclist ride through a stop sign so clearly everyone on a bike is a menace who runs over old women, causes massive damage to cars by breaking traffic laws, and actively tries to antagonize other peaceful law-abiding citizens at the expense of their own safety.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ^Sounds like the cops were right to ticket the cyclist if he was chatting on his phone.

Don't want to sound agist or anything but older people should get re-tested on an annual basis to make sure they are fit to drive. A lot of my near misses with cars have been old people. When my Great Uncle was in his late 70's and 80's I wouldn't get in a car with him. It took a crash when he was 87 (no one injured) for the cops to realise he was not fit to drive and pull his license. Even though they had pulled him over and cautioned him for erratic driving several times in the preceeding years

Certainly don't agree with the cars come first attitude of the council woman. Surely the city can get in all sorts of legal issues for that kind of policy. It seems they are admitting a breech of their duty of care.

mtbr member
    What a load of crap. I wonder how big the bribe was.

If the driver crossed the center line,then she was at fault and it did not matter one iota what the cyclist was doing or wearing. Yes, we have to avoid the accident if possible, and the cell phone may have interfered with that, but unless there are witnesses saying that the driver turned slowly enough that the cyclist could easily have avoided the accident, it does not fly. I hope the cyclist finds a good lawyer, as on the surface, unless a charge against the driver is pending, it seems to me that the officers involved and the city are liable.

Moderator Moderator
    Photo from Baltimore:
    A man rode a bicycle through heavy smoke from a nearby fire.
    Patrick Semansky/Associated Press

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/28/us...00000003653092

mtbr member
    Seeing stuff like Baltimore makes it hard for me to geniuniely complain about my cops. But still:

Post Bike Commuter News-untitled.jpg

Except it's not correct at all.

Our law states that “A person driving a vehicle shall yield the right of way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within the crosswalk.”

Pedestrians are granted right-of-way when in a crosswalks - cyclists are not. Drivers are not required to yield the right of way to mounted cyclists, but there is also no requirement for cyclists to dismount. (and plenty of mups become crosswalks at major roads, so this is a pretty common issue)

Why would the Police actually worry about being accurate when providing information on traffic law to the public? It's just so much lazier to blame cyclists for things that aren't actually illegal.

Oh, also this happened locally:

weirdo
    For lack of a better place to post this super interresting video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Interesting and crazy

CB of the East
    For lack of a better place to post this super interresting video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0
    That was very interesting indeed.

The lama video was good too.

mtbr member
    Feel like getting in a screaming match with a motorist this morning?

There's an app for that:

New app helps Toronto cyclists report vehicles parked in bike lanes | Metro

And now for the take-home:

Quote Originally Posted by METRO NEWS
    The 20-second clip shows Leslie informing the woman that parking in a bike lane is a municipal offence.

“I’ll f—king run you over,” the woman replies.
    Wonder what would been the legal outcome if the cyclist had threatened, on camera, to bludgeon the motorist with a weapon? Something different, I bet.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Maybe I can follow up with some "societal context" from Toronto:

This morning I had a motorist scream threats and profanity because I was riding in a bus/bike-only lane that he wanted to illegally use to pass other motorists on the right.

I ride about 900 ft along the road in question, to provide some incidents/mile info.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

weirdo
    The lama video was good too.
    A One el lama is a priest, a two el llama is a beast. But you`ll never see a three ellama...

...unless you`re a fireman.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro News View Post
    The 20-second clip shows Leslie informing the woman that parking in a bike lane is a municipal offence.

“I’ll f—king run you over,” the woman replies.
    And that was the abridged version
    The tow call-in thing sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    This morning I had a motorist scream threats and profanity because I was riding in a bus/bike-only lane that he wanted to illegally use to pass other motorists on the right.
    So glad my commute is through Mayberry.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Vancouver drivers at fault in 93% of collisions with bicycles: city report | Metro

Vancouver drivers at fault in 93% of collisions with bicycles: city report

Cyclists came off looking like angels in the latest report on collisions between bikes and vehicles in Vancouver.

The cycling safety report presented to city council Tuesday found that cyclists had the right-of-way in 93 per cent of vehicle-bicycle collisions where it could be determined.

Even though the right-of-way could only be determined in 54 per cent of cases – the data is based on 3,000 ICBC collisions in between 2007 and 2012 – the statistic presents a twist in the city’s endless car versus bike debate, where the common narrative involves reckless cyclists frustrating drivers to the point of road rage.

And the first comment:

Whatever. Cyclists should be required to have a license and registration to be on the same roads as other vehicles. They are often ignorant of the law, and the article photo is just an ironic example. (Drivers in Vancouver are also pretty ignorant /
    lackadaisical.)
    I have no idea what's supposed to be ironic about the photo?

I'm pretty sure they're in a bike-box. But even if they weren't, I don't think they could be accused of doing anything particularly illegal? (although 2 of them are wearing their helmets like weirdos)

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Driver arrested after police view cyclists helmet video:

Assault caught on biker's helmet cam

mtbr member
    ^ I wonder what making a false report to the police is worth? That lie about hitting the truck as the factor starting everything seems worth a charge. And what about not allowing a safe distance when passing? Interfering with an overtaking vehicle is also a chargeable offense. And the swerve out is assault with a deadly weapon. Throw the book at him!

Moderator Moderator

CB of the East
    ^^I wonder if they have a copy of that video in English.

since 4/10/2009
    I have a feeling video of me made it onto the super-early-morning news today. The local news stations were at the Bike to Work Day event downtown. I headed in pre-dawn to help set up for it, and one of the traffic helicopters was circling in the vicinity of the event location. As I approached, the helicopter sorta moved into my vicinity. I certainly would have been visible from the air with my lights running. There was almost no car traffic yet, so not much to drown out my lights, either.

mtbr member
    Well no helicopter shots but here is a report maybe you are in there, Harold?:

http://fox59.com/2015/05/15/cyclists...-indianapolis/

since 4/10/2009
    I didn't see myself in that one, but I did find myself in the background in this report:

Bike to Work Day activities planned in Indianapolis | WISH-TV

I was under the blue tent when the reporter was interviewing my boss. HMBA also got some screen time in this one, when it panned and showed our tent.

Lots of people I know in both of the reports.

weirdo
    ^^I wonder if they have a copy of that video in English.
    It could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator

Consumer Reports Reflects on Reflective

mtbr member
    ^^ I think Mechbegon has used the reflective tape to great advantage. He rides shoulder along a fast highway as I do. There is an old, old thread "more about commuting lights?" or similar showing his set up. Bear in mind that these help front and back visibility, but that you don't "light up" until you are in the beams of cross traffic, about a second before you are in front of them.

Also note that the reflective vests wear out. Washing removes the glass beads. Sun fades the yellow color. The tests were not compared to active lighting. So two tail lights and front an back helmet lights are very likely superior to anything shown. But a back up in case of a light failure is a good thing.

weirdo
    Nice I`m going to mark that video for future help in trying to convince my ninja-ish acquaintences.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Bear in mind that these help front and back visibility, but that you don't "light up" until you are in the beams of cross traffic, about a second before you are in front of them.

Also note that the reflective vests wear out. Washing removes the glass beads. Sun fades the yellow color.

The tests were not compared to active lighting. So two tail lights and front an back helmet lights are very likely superior to anything shown. But a back up in case of a light failure is a good thing.
    That they only show up in while being blasted by headlights I think all of us here realize. Worth pointing out yet again, I suppose, and I wish the producers of the video had tried to make that point.

Just going by my untesetd observations, but I have two comments about my reflective vests "wearing out". First, the mesh type seem to fade a lot faster than the type made of solid fabric, so if you have a choice, go for the solid ones. Second, the color in even the solid fabric vests seems to fade much faster than the reflectivity diminishes. I`m not as dedicated to the visbility quest as others, so have never put a new vest and an old one together in front of a set of headlights, though.

Brian, I think the reflective stuff has its own place beyond just backup. For one, when headlights ARE shining on it, it`s much brighter than the little AA and AAA that many riders use, and IMO, a lot of it also does a better job of saying "bicycle!" than active lighting. Though I`m sure a roving helmet light beam draws plenty of "WTF is that?" attention.

Bottom line, I`m a big believer in those dork vests that showed up so well in the video, I wear one whenever I ride, day or night. They`re cheap, too- I just bought a replacement for an old one that had faded out for $12 from a local saftey suply company. Good to go for a few more years now
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ Yes, the video needed to give some context and not make riders think a vest makes them invincible. We get new members here all the time, so mentioning that car lights are needed (these do not show up much under street lights) is worth boring the old hands here.

The concept of defense in depth seems wise when it comes to being seen.

> I wear mine devotedly. In lowering sun, shining to your back, you glow like an ember and though the drivers won't know what the eff the bright thing is, they can see it from over half a mile! Much brighter than my lights. Riding silhouetted against the sun, is likely the most dangerous situation, so beware of sun-blinded drivers and nothing much can help

Mine is not that old yet, but maybe faded enough for a comparo. I will need to wear it in to the store to see if it is enough.

since 4/10/2009
    I make pretty liberal use of all sorts of reflective tape and stickers. Definitely not a good replacement for good lights. I got a neon green jacket last year with a lot of reflective elements as well as a blinkie built into the rear pocket area. It's getting a bit warm out now to use it. My main reason for getting it were cloudy days. Those are tough conditions. It's daylight, so fewer drivers are using headlights, and reflective gear doesn't do quite as good a job. My main lights ARE daylight visible, but daylight conditions still make them a bit less noticeable. Hi-vis colors seem to perform best under those circumstances.

On sunny days and in full darkness, I haven't really had much trouble with visibility. The system I use seems to work pretty well, so I'm not really strongly motivated to do more. The elements that seem to give me the best response from drivers include my active lights and my kitty little box panniers, which, aside from being bright colors to begin with, I have covered with a lot of colorful stickers, many of which are reflective.

With regards to the video, it's what I come to expect from Consumer Reports. They do not produce the best product tests these days. I think the big reason is that while their staff seem to be pretty well versed on finding a method to do simple direct tests on products, they frequently don't have enough expertise with the products, or the way in which they are supposed to be used, to provide essential context for the tests.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Like Nate, I use a boatload of reflective stuff on the bike itself. Not necessarily because I don't like wearing reflective/high-vis stuff, but because I can't always guarantee I'm going to wind up wearing it. I would kill for someone to make some good high-vis bags/panniers. No reason for them to be black, since pretty much anyone using them wants to be seen. Red/forest green doesn't cut it.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    ^ Even careful considerate drivers can mess up. Still, both vehicle types could use a few less morons.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, an impressive feat, and I hope the pedaler prevails.

weirdo
    Far out!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^^ The running over part is a bummer, but the crowd sure was uplifting!

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Actually it is more like an airbag:
    The Invisible Bike Helmet that Keeps You Safe - Goodnet

mtbr member
    ^ I can't embed this video, but it's totally worth watching:

https://instagram.com/p/23SL7Ln6hR/

mtbr member
    The bad ideas keep on coming...
    Drivers don't see yellow schoolbuses, big red dump trucks, motorcyclists, cyclists, or pedestrians and collide with them now! We have dropped the death rate on American roads from the 40,000's to the low 30,000's a year in spite of cell phones, but I see this technology as an impediment to improve on that further. I can see it if it told you the cross streets maybe street numbers to keep you from craning you neck for those signs. Maybe this is an effort to make the shift to driverless cars in disguise? If humans become incompetent enough….

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Actually it is more like an airbag:
    It was posted here in some thread before. We wondered about misfires then, I think.

[QUOTE=newfangled;11995601]^ I can't embed this video, but it's totally worth watching:

Apparently you put it on last and you had better not look down as you clip in! A bug or two left to iron out.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Edmonton cyclist denied entry to bike shop ?based on gender? | Metro

On a recent Sunday evening, John (who asked for his full name to be withheld) was riding his bike with his wife and two daughters.

The family needed bike parts and was interested in buying a bike, so they rode to the Edmonton Bicycle Commuters’ Society’s BikeWorks South, near Whyte Avenue.

But at the volunteer-staffed shop, people at the bike works allegedly told John he couldn’t come inside, yet his wife could. “I was denied entry based on gender. I was surprised,” he said.

Despite an open for business sign, John said he was barred entry because of the society’s “Women, Trans and Gender Non-Binary” program that was being held at the shop that Sunday.

The Sunday afternoon program is held three times a month, and allows individuals identifying with those specific groups to participate in what the society’s website describes as a “safe space” at BikeWorks.

Regardless, John said he felt excluded based on gender — and has filed a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights Commission solely because of his exclusion, not because of the program....
    So EBC has had this policy in place for a looooooooong time, and it's worth looking at their lengthy FAQ on the subject:

Women, Trans and Gender Non-Binary Program ? Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (EBC)

And it's also worth scrolling all of the way to the bottom, to see the comments that it's been attracting in the last year or so since MRA groups decided to make it a "thing."

mtbr member
    ^ this actually happened to me last year when I dropped off some used bike parts, except my response was, wow, that's pretty cool, versus hey, I'm being discriminated against!

since 4/10/2009
    Edmonton cyclist denied entry to bike shop ?based on gender? | Metro

So EBC has had this policy in place for a looooooooong time, and it's worth looking at their lengthy FAQ on the subject:

Women, Trans and Gender Non-Binary Program ? Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (EBC)

And it's also worth scrolling all of the way to the bottom, to see the comments that it's been attracting in the last year or so since MRA groups decided to make it a "thing."
    Sounds like a really neat place, but I am conflicted about the policy, honestly. They could still make the place extra welcoming to women, trans, and gender non-binary folks on particular days while still allowing ANYONE to visit the shop to do business.

mtbr member
    ^ I'm not sure if this changes things or not, but this volunteer-run co-op has 2 shops: the north shop has regular sunday hours, and the south shop has the bi-weekly women/trans sundays. The shops are 6km/4mi apart.

And I'm honestly not sure what I thought about the policy...until I read some of the comments last year (and now again this week). People complaining that women don't need a "safe" space - while they spew vitriol all over the internet - was enough to convince me that yeah, it really is an issue.

since 4/10/2009
    ^ I'm not sure if this changes things or not, but this volunteer-run co-op has 2 shops: the north shop has regular sunday hours, and the south shop has the bi-weekly women/trans sundays.

And I'm honestly not sure what I thought about the policy...until I read some of the comments last year (and now again this week). People complaining that women don't need a "safe" space - while they spew vitriol all over the internet - was enough to convince me that yeah, it really is an issue.
    I very much understand such behavior is an issue. I just wonder that the shop doesn't have to go THAT far to make a point.

I'm not sure how big Edmonton is, or how far away their two shops are from each other. But we've got some shops in town with a couple of locations. It's like telling customers they have to go to the other location on the other side of town. Customers aren't going to do that. There are other options that are much closer. I get that this is a little different in that this place is a coop, but not a ton different. Many customers turned away at the door because of this event will wind up outside of the coop, rather than just visiting the other location.

And the folks in the story newfangled posted...they rolled up on their bikes. They may not even ride to the next closest shop.

Why not allow admittance to gender binary men so long as they agree to adhere to a particular code of conduct that supports and encourages program participants? And enforce it. That way, if someone gets kicked out, they're booted for their BEHAVIOR, not simply because of who they are.

mtbr member
    ^ sorry, just did a ninja edit to add that the shops are 6km/4mi apart.

And I think some of their FAQ answers handle any nagging questions about exceptions that I have:

Q: I am a man. Can I just come in and fill up my tires really fast?

A: We do not make exceptions, even for staff or Board members, as then the program would be de facto no longer be a program for women, trans & non binary folks. We cannot sell bikes, allow entry for quick repairs, or process rentals (including returns) unless you are woman, trans or non-binary.

Our Women, Trans & Gender Non-Binary program is currently only offered at BikeWorks South. If you need to access to a community bike shop on a Sunday, BikeWorks North is open to everyone every Sunday.

Q: I am a man. Can I send my girlfriend/wife to pick up parts for me?

A: If you identify as female, trans or non-binary, you are welcome to come work on your partner's bike at our shop as a participant in our Women, Trans & Gender Non-Binary program. Our volunteer mechanics will happily assist you as much or as little as you need, whether you have never touched a wrench before or you're a professional mechanic in your day job.

However, if you are a man who is sending a woman in on your behalf with a shopping list while you lurk just outside the door, you are being extremely disrespectful to both the woman who is helping you and to the goals and volunteers of our program. Our aim is to empower and educate women, trans and non-binary folk, and by standing outside yelling instructions you are disempowering and belittling the people working inside and reinforcing toxic gender stereotypes.

Q: I am a woman shopping for a bike. Can I bring a male friend with me to the Women, Trans & Gender-Non-Binary program to help me choose a bike?

A: No.

Our volunteers are extremely knowledgeable, experienced and honest, and can help you decide on a bike that is right for you and your needs as well as help you make any needed repairs to it. We work hard to dispel the common feeling many women have that they must bring a man with them to the bike shop to get fair treatment or to speak for them, or that they need a man's opinion to make a decision on their own bicycle.
    Which all boil down to "No" and is totally inflexible. But I can see that if they start making exception then it really is a slippery slope. I actually prefer the "No - even if you're on our board" approach to something less clearcut.

mtbr member
    I agree with "shaking my head". This is not like being forced to sit at the back of a publicly funded bus. It is more like the YMCA's classes for men, women, or children of certain age ranges. I am not allowed in a women's restroom or changing room except if I was an emergency person rendering aid! Discrimination!

Oh, give me a break from the misogynists, egoists, and idiots!

(I did find Quebec City's co-ed restrooms a bit unnerving). Viva la difference et le separation.)

since 4/10/2009
    I agree with "shaking my head". This is not like being forced to sit at the back of a publicly funded bus. It is more like the YMCA's classes for men, women, or children of certain age ranges. I am not allowed in a women's restroom or changing room except if I was an emergency person rendering aid! Discrimination!

Oh, give me a break from the misogynists, egoists, and idiots!

(I did find Quebec City's co-ed restrooms a bit unnerving). Viva la difference et le separation.)
    It's not exactly like either, really.

Moderator Moderator
    Good answer...

Q: I am a woman shopping for a bike. Can I bring a male friend with me to the Women, Trans & Gender-Non-Binary program to help me choose a bike?

A: No.

Our volunteers are extremely knowledgeable, experienced and honest, and can help you decide on a bike that is right for you and your needs as well as help you make any needed repairs to it. We work hard to dispel the common feeling many women have that they must bring a man with them to the bike shop to get fair treatment or to speak for them, or that they need a man's opinion to make a decision on their own bicycle.

Moderator Moderator
    2 hour meeting tonight in Hinesburg VT carried live by the local paper. Attending: Police Chief who penned an unexpected article; family of the teen driver going 83 and now dead; friends of the killed cyclist; and community members of all stripes. I don't expect you will watch 2 hours of tape, but pretty much any 5 minute clip packs an emotional punch. It remains to be seen what the takeaway will be, but people are engaged for sure. Article and tape:
    VIDEO: Hinesburg Police Chief, Marshall family speak in public meeting

Hinesburg to hold forum about fatal crash

Moderator Moderator
    As far as I'm concerned, distracted drivers that kill someone should be losing the car and license too, but at least this is an attempt to deter others' cellphone use.
    Cellphone ban for driver who killed cyclist is &apos;a reminder every day,&apos; judge says - LA Times

weirdo
    As far as I'm concerned, distracted drivers that kill someone should be losing the car and license too, but at least this is an attempt to deter others' cellphone use.
    Cellphone ban for driver who killed cyclist is 'a reminder every day,' judge says - LA Times
    What!?! Now that`s just plain backwards. Unless I missed it in there somewhere, she still keeps her DL, just can`t use a phone? I`m dumbfounded.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    If ads count as news:

Travel Oregon - Mtbr.com

Not exactly commuting (more communing) but pretty cool for those who can check those places out. More fun than the usual topics here.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Cool marketing campaign. That would be great to be JRA and find a bike!

The victim says he should of kept pedaling; maybe that would have helped, maybe not...
    Cyclist confronted gang who made fun of his high-vis jacket - it didn't end well - Mirror Online

Buzzard attacks cyclist in Northern Ireland | road.cc

Moderator Moderator
    The 3rd cyclist killed by a drunk or criminally speeding motorist in 9 weeks in VT...and all within 20 miles of each other.

Police investigate fatal car-bicycle crash in Ferrisburgh

weirdo
    Damn, you guys are just getting hammered
    I sure hope that`s the end of the spree.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    I don't know if the "guy on a bike" was commuting, but this video is pretty cool
    Man Riding His Bike Saw A Strange Light Beam In The Sky. What He Caught On Camera? Made My Jaw Drop

Moderator Moderator

CB of the East
    ^^I know, I read that yesterday. Pretty scary that not even people that are involved in biking screwed up so much on the pictures.

mtbr member
    ****ers

Council votes to take out 95th Avenue bike lane

Council votes to take out 95th Avenue bike lane

EDMONTON - A major west Edmonton bike lane will be removed this year after councillors voted Tuesday to eliminate the route and put in something better.

It will cost up to $475,000 to grind out lane markings on 95th Avenue from 149th Street to 189th Street, and along 189th Street from 95th Avenue to 87th Avenue.
    Really frustrated about this. And there are two more that council will likely vote to removed next week. All of these were installed 2 years ago.

The worst thing is that this was pushed by a couple of anti-bike councilors, but then two "pro-bike" councilors jumped on board under the promise that they will replace them with "high-quality" infrastructure at some point in the future. Next captial budget cycle, possibly next council. Who the **** knows.

But it's such ********. These same councilors have said that the lanes are "terrible" because they're full of gravel and the lines are fading - well clean the ****ing gravel and repaint the ****ing lines then.

And ******** about consultation. And about how this time the consultation will be so much better! How do you have any sort of consultation when you've just given handjobs to a bunch of whiny drivers?

And legally this changes nothing. It will still be completely legal to ride there, except now every ******* in a lifted-truck will "know" that bikes aren't supposed to be there and will act appropriately.

For what it's worth, Strava shows that it was well used: Strava Global Heatmap

CB of the East
    ^^ But how do you really feel? Sounds like a really frustrating and bad decision.

mtbr member
    ^ I like testing the profanity filter to see what makes it through.

But yeah, it's ****ing ********.

mtbr member
    Do you have any idea of what the next two lanes to go under the knife are?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ^ I like testing the profanity filter to see what makes it through.

But yeah, it's ****ing ********.
    I feel the pain

The idiots down here built a 12 ave bike path ($5mm boondoogle)....starts in the middle of nowhere ends in the middle of no where.....it does connect in the middle to the new 5th st bike path.

However the 10 ave bike path went from the pathway system on the west side of downtown all the way to the pathway system on the east side of downtown...it was well used....and was just some signage and painting... way better option....but to fill up 12 ave the are removing 10th ave.....So that they won't have to count the bikes using 10 ave in their studies...I suppose...

Basically the way I read it, the idiots want to get in the face of cars as much as possible 12th was is a major 4 to 5 lane one way though street.....10 is just a two lane street...

oh well i rode tenth long before it was a bike route and will ride it long after it was a bike route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Do you have any idea of what the next two lanes to go under the knife are?
    The debate over 106st (south of the whitemud) and 40ave is supposed to be next week. And 97st might be on the chopping block too, although I'm not sure if it's actually scheduled.

I honestly don't use any of them because I'm never in the area.

But 106st south of the whitemud looks a lot better than the bombed-out moonscape that's north of the whitemud (particularly north of argyle). 97st is up for debate because a bar owner complained that it takes parking from his DUI customers. And 40ave is underused...even though it also has by far the lowest car traffic of any major road on the southside (because it's genuinely a local route, since it doesn't really connect to anything).

It's just such ********.

On twitter a woman said "I love using 40ave with my kids in the summer" and a councilor's ******** response was "But wouldn't you love a bike lane that could be maintained year round?" What the **** is that even supposed to mean?

Any replacements are at least 3 years away...assuming that consultation isn't a complete shitshow...and assuming that council passes the budget (probably in an election year)...and assuming that the next council doesn't just decide to kibosh the work of this bunch of idiots.

mtbr member
    And 2 more down today, with a total price tag of $1.4M.

****ing ****y ****ers.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    ****ing ****y ****ers.

Edmonton?s safety award hangs in balance after bike lane decision | Metro

The City of Edmonton has won an award for forward thinking when it comes to “safer roads and mobility,” but might not be accepting it — and the reason is bike lanes.

Part of the city’s submission, made to the Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) in December 2014, championed Edmonton’s bike lanes, installed between 2010 and 2013. But now that some of those lanes are officially being removed, after city council’s recent decision, the city is rescinding that component of the application.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone see the segment Real Sports did on bike commuting? I think it did a good job of balancing the total disregard most drivers have for us, while also acknowledging the lawless segment of our group (hipsters). Talked a lot about the poor woman in San Fran that was run over by a truck while in the bike lane and that there's been no charges filed yet.

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure...ivers-20150722

mtbr member
    And some wonder why I have such bright lights and a safety vest. Running over pedestrians is not too cool. I was not aware that the truck driver was not charged in that accident. You would think a civil case would still be valid whether he was charged or not.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

mtbr member
    They were not commuting, but they could have been one of us:

UPDATE: Cyclist hit by alleged drunk driver in Hancock Co. dies; - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    VERY LUCKY CYCLISTS!!

(vid from dutch news website)

Fietsers Vol Geraakt Door Crashende Truck - Bizar - Video - Zie.nl

Moderator Moderator

human drivers needed to be “less idiotic.”

weirdo
    ^^That`s funny!

" One Google car, in a test in 2009, couldn’t get through a four-way stop because its sensors kept waiting for other (human) drivers to stop completely and let it go. The human drivers kept inching forward, looking for the advantage — paralyzing Google’s robot."
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^ In July, I moved my son to Chicago using a small box truck and can vouch for the leaving a safe distance being an open invitation to idiots to change lanes as discovered with the one automatic system. Here for the most part, people get in front of you so you can see their turn signal and know that they are changing lanes. Not so in Chicago. It happened so many times I lost count. They dove for the space almost taking off my front corners like they were at Darlington or Daytona. No chance to see a signal of intent if they used one. I can see why truckers have dash cams to validate that the car they just ran over was driven by a complete idiot.

mtbr member
    ^^That`s funny!

" One Google car, in a test in 2009, couldn’t get through a four-way stop because its sensors kept waiting for other (human) drivers to stop completely and let it go. The human drivers kept inching forward, looking for the advantage — paralyzing Google’s robot."
    I can't remember if this one got posted around here?

Google self-driving cars get confused by 'hipster bicycles' - Business Insider

The Google car and the cyclist both arrived at a four-way stop.

The car got there a fraction of a second before the bike, and the cyclist says he waited for it to continue through.

But instead of just putting a foot on the ground at the stop sign, the cyclist did what's called a trackstand...

“It apparently detected my presence,” the cyclist writes. “And stayed stationary for several seconds. It finally began to proceed, but as it did, I rolled forward an inch while still standing. The car immediately stopped … I continued to stand, it continued to stay stopped. Then as it began to move again, I had to rock the bike to maintain balance. It stopped abruptly.”

The car just could not make up its mind as to what this cyclist was doing.

“We repeated this little dance for about two full minutes and the car never made it past the middle of the intersection,” the cyclist writes.

But even though the car’s behavior was strange, the cyclist says he felt safer dealing with it than a human-operated car.

weirdo
    “We repeated this little dance for about two full minutes and the car never made it past the middle of the intersection,” the cyclist writes."

Great. The cyclist and the car were both stuck on their programs. I hope neither was late getting back to work...
    ...at their respective Google offices.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator
    Vancouver Island bikecommuter pulls an Indiana Jones to escape truck's wheels...
    'Indiana Jones' cyclist survives being dragged under lorry for half a kilometre | road.cc

mtbr member
    ^ The stunt man had a depression and some safety gear. The cyclist didn't. A whip handle has to be easier to grip than a brake line. I say he outdid Indiana Jones's stunt double, Terry Leonard.

mtbr member
    Weird about Quebec City. Almost as weird that Montreal has winter closures snow depth issues aside.. There might be old bylaws buried somewhere, but both the city of Toronto and the conservation Authority have explicitly said bike paths in the city are 24-7, 365.

Sent from my BB10 with Taptalk.

mtbr member
    Figured I'd share the latest local idiocy:

Name:  unnamed.gif
Views: 287
Size:  133.0 KB

This campaign is total ********.

One fairly unique thing about Edmonton's roads is that we don't have one-way streets downtown. All of our streets are two-way, generally with two lanes of traffic each way. So lanesplitting as most the world would understand it is completely impossible here. Lanesplitting here would mean going around a stopped bus, or around some right-turners that are backed-up waiting for pedestrians. But this is not manhattan.

As I said in an email to the mayor, on a list of 1,001 traffic problems in Edmonton, lanesplitting wouldn't even merit a footnote. But instead, the city wastes money on a city-wide campaign that actually demonizes cyclists.

mtbr member
    ^ so are motorists required to completely change lands to overtake bikes?

Or is a motorist that passes within the lane just "sharing the road".

Sent from my BB10 with Taptalk.

mtbr member
    This is another one of their recent attempts at education.

They launched the two campaigns at the same time, and I think someone at the city thinks that telling drivers to observe a safe passing distance is somehow equivalent to some made up ******** about lanesplitting that isn't even possible. "We did a really minor thing to make cyclists safe, so now we also have to do something to let drivers know that cyclists deserve everything that's coming to them." So ****ing petty.

mtbr member
    "One meter is best"?

So if you are driving a tandem tractor-trailer at 90kph in the rain, one meter is best?

Better than two meters?

mtbr member
    ^ it's completely baffling.

I see that "Don't Squeeze" gif showing up in website ads all the time, so the city is actually paying to distribute this garbage.

And this is at the same time that they just removed a huge portion of onstreet bikelanes (honestly, probably about half) with the excuse of making cyclists "safer."

It's ****ing bizarro world.

mtbr member
    And because I'm feeling grumpy, every week our police service does #traffictuesday where their twitter account provides incomplete, misleading and incorrect traffic information to the public.

On previous tuesdays they've stated that cyclists must dismount at crosswalks (not correct) and must stay as close to the shoulder as possible, even at a stop light (not correct).

And this week:

If fitting a law in 140 characters means explaining it wrongly, maybe it's not worth it?

High Plains Luddite
    That "Don't Squeeze" animated gif looks like it's promoting reckless lane splitting by cyclists...as if to say to motorists, "Move over and let 'em through!"

since 4/10/2009
    Must have been a slow news day.

Cyclists disturbed by tacks on bike lanes on east side roads | WISH-TV

I was in the shop in question yesterday when the reporter showed up. I was dropping off hubs and wheels for a wheel build for my wife's mtb. The "tacks" in question look a lot like construction debris. Possibly from a carpet job. A lot of contractors are SUPER sloppy with their cleanup. I know guys who have been pretty pissed about contractors who have done work at their homes and have left nails and screws in the yard. The area in question is an old neighborhood with nicer homes, where there's a lot of renovation work being done.

since 4/10/2009
    Local rash of bike thefts. Police describe interesting method thieves are using to hide their bolt cutters.

IMPD issues alert over rash of bike thefts downtown - TheIndyChannel.com

Moderator Moderator
    Pedal on!

If sitting is the new smoking, is bike riding a less than optimal exercise?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/1...?emc=eta1&_r=1

mtbr member
    Imagining The Mask in the bicycle returning the horn blast (about 2/3 through):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEQomU6iFtw

Moderator Moderator

Church Says Bike Lane Would Infringe on Rights of Religious Freedom

mtbr member
    Cyclist stopped by police in Edmonton, slapped with 18 charges | Globalnews.ca

Cyclist stopped by police in Edmonton, slapped with 18 charges

EDMONTON – A man riding a bicycle on the sidewalk Tuesday was stopped by police because he didn’t have a bell on his bike. However, he ended up getting 18 charges and one ticket.

After stopping the 25-year-old man, police said he gave them a fake name. He was then arrested for obstruction.

As he was being arrested, a knife fell out of his pants. Officers searched him and his backpack and found a sawed-off shotgun, drugs and trafficking paraphernalia.

The man is now facing 18 charges for weapons, trafficking, obstruction and breaching conditions.

He was also given one ticket for riding a bicycle without a bell.

mtbr member
    ^ Sounds like the traffic stops here for a taillight out or insufficient signaling of a turn or lane change that turn into meth busts. They need probable cause to pull the car of the suspected drug dealer over then the canine officer can go to work, and they have the suspect nailed. Looks like he got the No-Bell prize for Felony on Two Wheels.

weirdo
    Awesome, a double shot of comic relief today!

God given right to park my car + Alberta felon`s worst case scenario, Yipee! I just wish they told a bit more about the guy with more weapons and dope than bike saftey gear- wonder whether he made the mistake of backtalking the cops, upping the ante from what would have been just a simple ticket, or if the bell was simply the excuse needed to get somebody they already suspected, as Brian implied.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's a weird story.

Thankfully, our police don't particularly have a reputation of institutionalized racism or stop-and-frisk. And anytime I head to the airport at 3~4am I'm amazed by the dudes riding around on bmxes who are clearly not above board.

But on the other hand, the police love giving handjobs to drivers - "Aren't cyclists so dangerous? Aren't pedestrians always in the way?" And this is certainly another one of those.

weirdo
    You just can`t trust a BMXer as far as you can throw one!

(unless you`re in Vermont)
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I just found a german article about hydrogen bikes. I did not find anything in english, therefore a manufacturer link instead:
    Experience H2: Linde H2 bike | The Linde Group

Anybody heard about this yet?

mtbr member
    ^^ Just now, thank you. Since Toyota is going this way, this is a bit of an un-surprise that someone would do this to a bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Does Exercise Slow the Aging Process?
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/1...-process/?_r=0

mtbr member
    Motoring lawyer says bicycles should carry ID plates and riders wear hi-vis - Cycling Weekly

I repeat: We need a better lobby against that kind of people....

mtbr member
    ^^ Put phone confiscation for detection of texting or use in a non-hands free manner immediately before or during an accident of all drivers involved in an accident as our Hi-Vis is completely useless if they are, and it might be a fair tradeoff as I already do both.

mtbr member
    I think the bicycle-license-thing is pretty much a non-starter. Like, only idiots are even vaguely serious about it, it's easily disproven as nonsense, and (most importantly) I can't see very many politicians ever supporting it.

High-viz though, I could see politicians being in support of. There are no admin costs, it's yet another fun way to shame cyclists, and it's about "safety".

So it's actually good when these yahoos throw out the whole crazy anti-cycling laundry-list, because I don't think it wins them as much support as a less-crazy approach would.

mtbr member
    a gray Toyota Prius ... collided with a woman on a bicycle who was traveling in the same direction.

Huh, I've always felt safer around Prius'. Thought we were on the same "gas-saving team".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Huh, I've always felt safer around Prius'. Thought we were on the same "gas-saving team".
    Nope. I was almost ran over by a Prius twice already on a parking lot in front of a supermarket. They run on the battery there and are totally silent. The only reason I noticed them was, that they turned the wheels around a corner which made the cobbles stones screech under the tires.

I read an article once in which somebody plead for installing loudspeakers on E-cars making the typical car "broom broom" noise. Well at least I think that we will have to get used to only use our eyes for traffic situation awareness.

mtbr member
    Not sure what prompted this article, but:

Bike licensing: It didn't work in 1916, and it won't work now | Metro News

“Cyclists should be licensed, like everyone else on the road!”
    It’s a persistent refrain. It pops up in online comments and call-in radio shows.

Occasionally, a politician puts it forth as a new and novel concept.
    What most people don’t know is that cities throughout North America, including Calgary, have already been there, done that — and eventually scrapped bike licensing...

Over time, most cities did away with bike licensing. Toronto repealed its bylaw in the 1950s. Calgary’s lasted into the 1970s. Regina officially repealed bike licensing earlier this year, though it had stopped enforcing it years before. (There too, the city admitted that licensing had largely failed to put stolen bikes back into owners’ hands).

Still, the idea crops up again and again, propped up by thin arguments of making cyclists “pay their fair share” of road infrastructure, allowing better enforcement of traffic rules and preventing bike theft.

In reality, people who bike already pay their fair share. The bulk of the city’s road infrastructure budget comes from property taxes, not licensing...

In recent decades, numerous cities have looked at reintroducing bike licenses. Most end up with the same conclusion: It makes little sense.
    When the City of Toronto revisited the issue in 2006, it found that if the city was to actually make money on bike licensing, the fees would need to be high and “may be considered exorbitant for many of the city’s residents” — in some cases more expensive than the bike itself. There, as elsewhere, the idea was abandoned.

Thankfully, cities today are focused on removing barriers to cycling rather than pointlessly erecting new ones.

Moderator Moderator
    Pleasant Hill, Concord Top List of BART Stations Targeted By Bicycle Thieves | NBC Bay Area

Interesting that 25% of those taking bikes on the train were only doing so to avoid theft, not to ride it again at the other end.

Moderator Moderator
    Pedaling Prime Minister gets Honking Motorist Pulled Over

Tony Abbott shuts down road rage after woman blasts his cycling bunch

weirdo
    ^^^Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canberra Times View Post
    His last sight of the woman was of her in a car park near the Hyatt Hotel, having a meaningful conversation with a police officer.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

CB of the East

mtbr member
    Survival Guide: "Second, nighttime exercisers or commuters overestimate how easy it is for drivers to spot them, while drivers are similarly overconfident that they will spot people moving alongside them in the dark."

I have that with pedestrians in dark clothing. You'd think you;d see them better. You are lighting them up but there is no contrast to the background.

1. Light up your joints: Add reflective stripes on your ankles,

*** This worked well with the wide angle lights I had (one lost one dead)

knees,

*** Not enough movement on a bike

wrists,

*** for signalling, useless otherwise

Put together, they spell biological motion and tell drivers you are a moving person, not a stationary object.

*** My rim reflectors/glo in the dark tape screams cyclist.

2. Mix it up: Reflective gear works only when lights shine directly on it. Use reflectors on many sides: bicycle spokes, running shoes, gloves.

*** And don't depend on it. It is another layer of protection but not as good as it looks on camera.

3. Don’t put all your faith in lights: Flashing lights are better than nothing but not sufficient by themselves.

*** Redundancy is very good. Lose a light no big deal.

4. Assume drivers just can’t see you: Make eye contact whenever you can, especially at intersections.

weirdo
    1. Light up your joints:
    Recalculating....

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

mtbr member
    You missed a new job in political campaigns in lifting people's statements with clear intent out of their context and repurposing them.

"That's not what he wrote!" is returned with the usual tone of disgruntlement.

'Ankles, knees, and wrists were listed!".

BTW is gruntlement? Happiness?

Of course, lighting someone else's joint while riding is not safe behavior. Does a joint, cigarette, of cigar burning brightly help in telling a driver that you are a moving person, or does that leave most drivers unmoved?

We need George Carlin to investigate these sorts of questions and he is gone.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 11-12-2015 at 08:48 PM.

weirdo
    Hehe, I`ll keep that in mind as a second career when they finally lock me out at my current gig! Just hope I can handle the stench.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    The link in above link: Broken: When Traffic Laws Fail Cyclists: Broken: When Traffic Laws Fail Cyclists | Bicycling

The pair of articles are a nice discussion and validation of our discontent with distorted reports and driver immunity in cases of severe injury and death of cyclists at their hands.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    ^ A good case for having a POV camera. Maybe the cyclist can get the motorist witness to testify. So no retaliation, but hitting a vehicle that is too close while it is too close would be more defensible as a last resort warning.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Toronto's abandoned bike program doesn't always get it right | Metro News

Quote Originally Posted by CBC.CA
    Is your bike at risk of the little yellow paper slip? These are some of the factors the city’s transportation standards officers look for when they focus their attention on abandoned bikes, as the city announced is happening this week.

1. Rusted chains
    2. Deflated tires
    3. Broken pedals
    4. Bent or damaged frame
    5. Missing seat
    6. Missing tires or wheels
    7. Rust everywhere
    8. Bent wheels
    Or as I call it, my "winter cycling checklist".

At least mine has 2 wheels and a seat.

Moderator Moderator
    Road hogs in VT!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Bike Commuter News-pigs.jpg  

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Road hogs in VT!
    This just reminded me of something: A couple of months ago, we were heading home from work on a wide, two-lane country highway. About 1 mile ahead, the traffic had crawled to a near stop, and we saw flashing lights. Thinking it was a seatbelt checkpoint, we were prepared to be there for a while, but as we got closer, we saw a policeman wrestling a billy goat onto the ground!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1