Poll: How many other commuters do you see during your commute?- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: How many other commuters do you see during your commute?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll

33 22.30%
  • 1-3

50 33.78%
  • 4-10

32 21.62%
  • 11-15

6 4.05%
  • 16+

27 18.24%
    poser Administrator

Poll: How many other commuters do you see during your commute?

As the title says: How many?

I see so few it is disappointing. Tucson may be a Bicycling friendly community but the amount of commuters I see is inversely proportional to the distance I put between me and the University of Arizona during the school year and proportional to 0-1 during the non school year times.

I am of the understanding that some of you might even ride with other commuters. Is this true?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    When I lived in Portland Oregon I saw quite a few but of course more in the summer than in the winter. It was like New Years resolution time in spring because at the first sign of good weather all kinds of bikes were out but after a month or so it would be back to the same other commuters I'd see every day.

Here in Spokane Washington where I live now I see far fewer however the number is going up now that the weather is getting better and gas prices are going up. It's nearly impossible to commute here in winter if (like me) you have to ride the freeway shoulder most of the way. Since the official start of spring we've had 22 inches of snow which is unusual, but even when it isn't snowy in winter its icey and cars like to use the shoulder as a turn lane or sometimes even to pass other cars here and they are not looking for bikes. It seems whenever there is a bike vs. vehicle accident the cyclist is always found at fault here however there has been a large amount of pressure on law enforcment and the city to change that. So I usually vanpool in the winter.

mtbr member
    I'm in Calgary, Alberta
    I work flex hours, so it really depends on what time I head into work at (and what season it is). I answered 16+ as I have encountered that many on several occasions when on my ride home when I work "regular" hours (8-5 ish) and when the weather is nicer. Even on days when I ride into work at irregular hours (6-3 or 10-7) I will encounter at least 4 or 5 other people and over the winter on the coldest days I would still always see at least one or two others.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I might see double digit commuters, but I ride on a gorgeous paved Bay trail that stretches for about 20 miles and there are tons of businesses and residential sections all along the trail (Redwood City to San Mateo in California). The worst weather here is rain and wind, and no good reason to not ride your bike to work. I think the coldest it got this winter was maybe 40, and the hottest it got last summer was 102... usually "cold" around here is low 50's and "hot" is 85. Based on this, the commute number I see is low. Should be in the thousands!!!!

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well, I voted 16+ since lots of kids ride to campus. I probably saw a hundred or so when I rode to work this summe ron some of Portland's busiest bike routes.

During the winter the number is a lot lower both in Portland and Missoula where I am now. Lots of cyclists here, but it's not quite Portland. Harsher winters too, though this one wa sparticularly bad, I hear.

mtbr member
    I see 5 or so during my 6 mile (one way) commute in the Phoenix area. That number
    will dwindle as summer approaches.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

Green Mojo
    I ride a little over 20 miles each way to work in Carlsbad, CA. I see about 10-15 riders each way. It's a beautiful ride along the coast so I don't know how many of them are commuters or just out for their daily ride.

bikerneil

I'm SUCH a square....
    Well, NE Indiana is a hotbed for vehicular obesity, so if I see 1 other bike commuter a week, it's getting crowded....

My commute used to be 9 mi. one way, now it's 2-5 (depending on whether I go direct or take the scenic route), but the numbers have stayed pretty much the same. The ONLY thing that's changed over the years is the attention I get on the road -- since a newspaper article last year, the # of "get on the sidewalk!" comments has almost disappeared, and the # of buzzes has gone down about 60-70%. Maybe somebody actually caught a clue....

I know that drivers are paying more attention now, because a few weeks ago, I was buzzed by a femme in a mini-van; my subsequent one-digit salute caught the eyes of the three other cars behind, as they gave me PLENTY of room.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

just riding along
    My commute is only 6 miles and I will see one cyclist about every day. If I had the pleasure of riding through one of the downtowns, I would see many, MANY more. We have a great thing going here in MN, but as soon as you go beyond the immediate downtown area, or off one of the trails, it starts to get a little scarce. Still, I don't know of many better places to get to work by bike. If you don't mind a little cold and snow 9 months out of the year.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    As the title says: How many?

I see so few it is disappointing. Tucson may be a Bicycling friendly community but the amount of commuters I see is inversely proportional to the distance I put between me and the University of Arizona during the school year and proportional to 0-1 during the non school year times.

I am of the understanding that some of you might even ride with other commuters. Is this true?
    I don't bicycle commute, but I am always surprised at the number of people I see commuting by bike in Tucson even at 5 am. Usually on Speedway or Grant. I miss riding to work back in Michigan. Now I spend my days in either Nogales or Tempe at customers, so it's a little to far to hoof it by bicycle (although I often take my bike with me to ride SoMo after work, like tomorrow! )

MB1
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    How come you don't have a choice for "hundreds"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ua mau ke ea o ka aina I ka pono

Raidero desde Torino
    Apr 2007
    Good weather is here. The number of commuters that I meet got multiplied by 10 or 20.

mtbr member
    I usually see 1-3, but lots of rigs locked up downtown.

mtbr member

You'd think I'd see more commuters on my 16 mile adventrue

Lately, I haven't seen any other commuters on my Tempe to Phoenix Commute. Its been awesome weather too. I'll see people on road bikes occasionally, but its hard to tell if they're commuting or training (they are usually all decked out in their team jerseys or whatever). I think Phoenix is just too spread out to get any kind of critical mass commuting thing going.
    Just Ride!

Outrageously happy
    I'm working from home these days, so my commutes actually consist of biking to lunch meetings, other people's offices, Stanford University, etc. I see plenty of other cyclists, including folks on training irdes, mountain bikers cruising to the trailheads, legit commuters with full packs, and even the occasional kid going to and from school. There are not enough of these, most spoiled brats are stilling getting shuttled in SUVs by cell phoney hausfraus.

The commuter density goes up on Foothill Expressway near Stanford, on the Los Gatos Creek bike trail, and near downtown San Jose. I can go miles and miles without seeing another cyclist on major roads. Some days I see zero. Some days I see dozens.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Roeland
    There are not enough of these, most spoiled brats are stilling getting shuttled in SUVs by cell phoney hausfraus.
    That brings a tear to my eye too, but I don`t think it`s because today`s kids are spoiled brats so much that today`s hausfrauen are too paranoid to let their kinder wander outside alone anymore.

On average, I see about zero point two other bike commuters on my commute. There are walkers and people waiting at the bus stop though.

Apr 2008
    So im new to commuting (about a month under my belt) Ive seen one other commuter since I started. (Id really like to see a picture of a bike lane cause im just plain curious if yall know where to go.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I know there are other comnmuters out there but I work some really strange hours and do not usually see anyone (driving, riding, or walking) on my actual commute.

Kosher Princess

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    I was thinking the same thing.

Then again, I'm uncertain how many members commute in Amsterdam or Beijing.

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Man, i wish that was the case here.

May 2008
    I don't think I've ever come across someone else! Some days returning from a ride i see someone going somewhere but never on the way to work or back! its so sad!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    10-15 daily e/w on my commute. That said my ride times are 7am and 5 or 5.30 pm.
    If I were to sit down and count the number of commuters on one particular section of my trip it would be something like 100 + on any given day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Only a couple...but my commute is SO short, that's a bit misleading.

BIG and Bald
    I generally see about 2-3 others on bikes on my way to work in the mornings between 5:30-6am. On the way home at 5pm I usually see anywhere from 5-10.

Lexington, KY is not the most bicycle friendly city but they have just recently started adding bikes lanes on the main roads and downtown in the last year. Things are starting to look up. There are even plans to redesign our only trail at one of the parks to incorporate more singletrack in the very near future!!!
    "Don't neever gave up..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    1-3 as I cross the bike W&OD trail (Northern VA). If my route actually went down the trail though, it'd be probably around 10 or more.

Arnold
    Apr 2007
    I see lots here in Vancouver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i am in bc too, i usually see 2-3, +/- 2-3

Arnold
    Apr 2007
    I think it depends how long you ride and where. If you ride on a bike designated street, then chances are you'll see lots.

mtbr member
    I would have voted "NOT ENOUGH" if it were an option.

Commuting is the secondary function of my bicycles, the first being FUN!

Like RockyRider, I too live in Spokane, WA. This is definitely not a biker friendly town. Last year I was hit and run once, chased down by a guy that thought bikes belong in a garage, not on the roads, and almost clipped more times than I care to count.

This year my commute is to a new building and I have almost been run off the road by the same state trooper about 5 times.

On top of that, on the official first day of "Bike to Work Week" a city garbage truck did a perfect California stop and then pulled out right into my path.

But I'm still out there every day, and will be until the snow flies again.

Keep your eyes open, and watch every car like it wants to run over you, and ride the dirt every chance you get!
    Last edited by Magoo2068; 06-26-2008 at 11:45 AM.
    Shift and Believe!

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    I might see double digit commuters, but I ride on a gorgeous paved Bay trail that stretches for about 20 miles and there are tons of businesses and residential sections all along the trail (Redwood City to San Mateo in California). The worst weather here is rain and wind, and no good reason to not ride your bike to work. I think the coldest it got this winter was maybe 40, and the hottest it got last summer was 102... usually "cold" around here is low 50's and "hot" is 85. Based on this, the commute number I see is low. Should be in the thousands!!!!
    Envy is an ugly emotion, but I shall dispense it to you freely.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

knock-knock...
    i live in duluth, mn and have about an 11 to 12 mile commute. most days i see maybe oh, lets say 0 other commuters. granted, i work weird hours, and my route is nearly all main drags, so others might shun it, it has good shoulders though. im entirely out of the driving lane, without being on a sidewalk, which is nice. but its pretty depressing.

Jul 2007
    I just started commuting this summer and I live only about 1.5 miles from where I work on University of Pittsburgh campus. There are many other cyclists. I see the same couple of people plus a couple of strangers most mornings and afternoons and the bike racks are very crowded, even in the summer, all over campus.

Pittsburgh is not that bad of a town to cycle in -- some bike lanes and in my experience the drivers are pretty considerate. Hard to tell what they're really like though since I am normally just booking past them all sitting in their cages in traffic looking frustrated. Cars are bad for your blood pressure.

mtbr member
    I know what you mean about depressing not seeing other cyclists. I passed one commuter today, but saw two more this morning. The one I passed was a very out of place super-fit looking chick riding her fully sprung heavy looking All Mountain bike through a dangerous construction zone in a traffic lane at a freeway underpass - YIKES. Its too bad she couldn't keep that rig going faster than 15 mph, it would have been nice to ride with her for a bit (I don't ride much faster than that though).
    Just Ride!

Jun 2008
    West virginia isn't known for its bike friendly commutes. Once in a blue moon i'll ride past someone struggling on a hill (or walking their bike up it), never to see them again. Very sad.

Members who have read this thread: 0