Please help me think aloud about my commuter.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Please help me think aloud about my commuter.

A little back ground info: I have a rigid Niner SIR9 running an Alfine 8 speed. I chose this bike for it's versatility, being able to run it as IGH, SS or geared. It's primary duty is for commuting with a B.O.B. Yak trailer. It's a great bike and I adore the fit and handling.

I knew eventually I would want to build another bike, more specific to commuting and then relegate the SIR9 to more specific off road duties. That time has come and I'm thinking about a dedicated commuter now. What I envision is a 29er, rigid, mountain frame with flat bars. I want to use the wheels/IGH from the SIR9 in the commuter and build new wheels for the Niner.

The problems I've come up against are that I I want an equally versatile frame, with fender mounts, and perhaps rack mounts AND the ability to fit a bigger chainring than the 32t I have on the Niner right now. I've found the gearing (32/18) too low and wanted to put a bigger chainring on but there just isn't enough chain stay clearance. I'm not sure how much chainring clearance there is on similar bikes like the El Mariachi or Karate Monkey.

So, can anyone recommend a frame set that meets those criteria? It sounds so simple but as I've been searching I can't seem to find anything I really like, and mainly, I'm just not sure how big a chainring I can expect to fit on an 29er frame in the middle ring position (to match the Alfine). Would a cross bike be more the ticket??

Any help or advise appreciated!

jrm
    mtbr member

The

Quote Originally Posted by komekomegaijin
    A little back ground info: I have a rigid Niner SIR9 running an Alfine 8 speed. I chose this bike for it's versatility, being able to run it as IGH, SS or geared. It's primary duty is for commuting with a B.O.B. Yak trailer. It's a great bike and I adore the fit and handling.

I knew eventually I would want to build another bike, more specific to commuting and then relegate the SIR9 to more specific off road duties. That time has come and I'm thinking about a dedicated commuter now. What I envision is a 29er, rigid, mountain frame with flat bars. I want to use the wheels/IGH from the SIR9 in the commuter and build new wheels for the Niner.

The problems I've come up against are that I I want an equally versatile frame, with fender mounts, and perhaps rack mounts AND the ability to fit a bigger chainring than the 32t I have on the Niner right now. I've found the gearing (32/18) too low and wanted to put a bigger chainring on but there just isn't enough chain stay clearance. I'm not sure how much chainring clearance there is on similar bikes like the El Mariachi or Karate Monkey.

So, can anyone recommend a frame set that meets those criteria? It sounds so simple but as I've been searching I can't seem to find anything I really like, and mainly, I'm just not sure how big a chainring I can expect to fit on an 29er frame in the middle ring position (to match the Alfine). Would a cross bike be more the ticket??

Any help or advise appreciated!

Salsa Fargo and SOMA Juice come to mind.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Surly specifies a maximum chainring clearance of 48t on the Karate Monkey. I can't imagine you'd need higher gearing than 48/18 to get the range you want on your Alfine.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I run a 44-16 gearing on a raleigh 29er MTB frame. The ring is on the outside ring mount and I have no problems at all. 44-16 is about as aggressive I could imagine going for commuting, unless you live on a salt-flat.

I have two commuters. A geared Dawes cyclocross bike with the drop bars changed out for flat bars with twistgrip shifters. The above mentioned SS is a Raleigh Steel Frame 29er MTB with disc brakes and a narrow flat bar.

The duties of the geared commuter are being rapidly replace by my newly aquired recumbent tadpole trike, but IMHO nothing beats the solid simplicity of a steel frame singlespeed 29er MTB converted with slicks to commuter duty.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

What chainline is that 48t max at on the Karate Monkey? I could run a chainring on the outer position on my Niner but as it is I have the Alfine cog reversed for a wider chainline and still have a chainring 3 - 4mm wider in the middle position. If it was on the outer crank position the chainline would be WAY off. Herein lies my real problem. Not sure how to determine, for any given bike, how big a chainring I can fit on the frame with the chainline that will match the Alfine. (47.5mm from memory??).

Members who have read this thread: 0