Planning on Pushing It This Week- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Planning on Pushing It This Week

Iím basically making this post because I feel that Iíll be more likely to follow through if I put it in black and white. My commute is just over 27 miles each way. Iíve commuted by bike a hand full of times over the past few months. However, this week Iíve decided to really push it.

Iím active duty military and I take college classes on base on Mondays and Wednesdays, so riding my bike on those days are out of the question because I can get out of class as late as 10:30pm. However, I donít have to be at work until 9am on Monday and Wednesday because I get do individual physical training on those mornings.

So here is my bright ideaÖ

Monday and Wednesday of this week I plan on running 10K (6.2 miles) each morning before coming into work. Tuesday and Thursday of this week I plan on cycling to/from work which is 27 miles each way. Friday I have to do a 3 mile group run with my command.

If everything goes as planned Iíll finish this week having run two 10Ks, a 5K, and ridden four 27 mile rides. I already have the first 10K and first 27 mile ride out of the way and I have to get home so the second 27 mile ride will happen this evening.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Still want a fat bike....
    Wow dude, that's hard core. Good luck staying motivated. Stay strong!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rah.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I made the ride home yesterday, but I was exhausted by the time I was done. It ended up being a 54.4 mile day. I cut this morning's 10K short by almost a mile. I only ended up running 5.32 miles. Actually, I ran the first 3.5 miles and ran/walked the remainder. I'm hoping that I get out of class a little early tonight so that I can get some extra rest before cycling into work in the morning.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Upping your milage and effort should be done gradually...

set some realistic targets and meet them one at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info jeffscott, but too late. I am meeting my goals one at a time however.

Monday's goal was to run 10K.
    Tuesday's goal was to cycle to and from work.
    Wednesday's goal was to run 10K. Ended up cutting the run a little short.
    Thursday's goal is to cycle to and from work. Once I leave in the morning, the rest is muscle memory.
    Friday's goal is to run a group 3 mile run with my command. I really don't have a choice on that one.

So when it is all said and done if the only goal that I didn't complete was cutting a run a little short, I'll be okay with that.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76 View Post
    Thanks for the info jeffscott, but too late. I am meeting my goals one at a time however.

Monday's goal was to run 10K.
    Tuesday's goal was to cycle to and from work.
    Wednesday's goal was to run 10K. Ended up cutting the run a little short.
    Thursday's goal is to cycle to and from work. Once I leave in the morning, the rest is muscle memory.
    Friday's goal is to run a group 3 mile run with my command. I really don't have a choice on that one.

So when it is all said and done if the only goal that I didn't complete was cutting a run a little short, I'll be okay with that.
    For me training is all about meetinggoals...

But whatever...next week or the week after might be a little harder.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm just trying to keep things interesting. I've already ran a couple half marathons, a few 10Ks and a bunch of 5Ks. I've already cycled about 5 imperial centuries to include a 160 miler, not to mention dozens of metric centuries. I didn't mean to come off as a ******, but I wouldn't have attempted this if I felt that it wasn't within my capabilities.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Stretch goals can be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I cycled into work again today. 27.13 miles in 1h 38m 23s, which is only 1m 21s slower than the time that it took me on Tuesday. I feel like I'm in the home stretch because I know that I'm going to ride home today, and I don't have a choice in running the group 3 miler tomorrow.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

jrm
    mtbr member

Id consider

using a bus bridge or something in between some of those days when your just burnt out but still wanna ride. Your schedule screams over doing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    ...Your schedule screams over doing it.
    Maybe so, but the sense of accomplishment wouldn't be as great if it was any easier.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I did it!

I finished the week.

Yesterday's ride home was better than I expected. I even set a personal best time compared to all the rest of the times I've ridden from work to home.

The command group run this morning ended up being 3.6 miles at a 9:45 pace. I completed it although I was ready for it to be over from the moment we started.

My college classes are on Monday and Wednesday nights for the next 3 weeks and then a new term starts and my classes will be on Monday and Thursday nights. I think that I'm going to continue this week's routine for the next 3 weeks. However, I'm going to cut the runs on Monday and Wednesday down to the 4 - 4.5 mile range and I don't think that we are going to have another command group run for the rest of this month.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    27 mi commute in the Tampa area, I'm impressed. In the 2 yrs I lived there I would not ride in that traffic.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

jrm
    mtbr member

Ok, but

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon76 View Post
    Maybe so, but the sense of accomplishment wouldn't be as great if it was any easier.
    remember, choose your battles carefully.