• 08-02-2011
    Solomon76
    Planning on Pushing It This Week
    Iím basically making this post because I feel that Iíll be more likely to follow through if I put it in black and white. My commute is just over 27 miles each way. Iíve commuted by bike a hand full of times over the past few months. However, this week Iíve decided to really push it.

Iím active duty military and I take college classes on base on Mondays and Wednesdays, so riding my bike on those days are out of the question because I can get out of class as late as 10:30pm. However, I donít have to be at work until 9am on Monday and Wednesday because I get do individual physical training on those mornings.

So here is my bright ideaÖ

Monday and Wednesday of this week I plan on running 10K (6.2 miles) each morning before coming into work. Tuesday and Thursday of this week I plan on cycling to/from work which is 27 miles each way. Friday I have to do a 3 mile group run with my command.

If everything goes as planned Iíll finish this week having run two 10Ks, a 5K, and ridden four 27 mile rides. I already have the first 10K and first 27 mile ride out of the way and I have to get home so the second 27 mile ride will happen this evening.
  • 08-03-2011
    Dalton
    Wow dude, that's hard core. Good luck staying motivated. Stay strong!
  • 08-03-2011
    wilonpill
    Rah.
  • 08-03-2011
    Solomon76
    I made the ride home yesterday, but I was exhausted by the time I was done. It ended up being a 54.4 mile day. I cut this morning's 10K short by almost a mile. I only ended up running 5.32 miles. Actually, I ran the first 3.5 miles and ran/walked the remainder. I'm hoping that I get out of class a little early tonight so that I can get some extra rest before cycling into work in the morning.
  • 08-03-2011
    jeffscott
    Upping your milage and effort should be done gradually...

set some realistic targets and meet them one at a time.
  • 08-03-2011
    Solomon76
    Thanks for the info jeffscott, but too late. I am meeting my goals one at a time however.

Monday's goal was to run 10K. :thumbsup:
    Tuesday's goal was to cycle to and from work. :thumbsup:
    Wednesday's goal was to run 10K. Ended up cutting the run a little short. :madman:
    Thursday's goal is to cycle to and from work. Once I leave in the morning, the rest is muscle memory.
    Friday's goal is to run a group 3 mile run with my command. I really don't have a choice on that one.

So when it is all said and done if the only goal that I didn't complete was cutting a run a little short, I'll be okay with that.
  • 08-03-2011
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon76 View Post
    Thanks for the info jeffscott, but too late. I am meeting my goals one at a time however.

Monday's goal was to run 10K. :thumbsup:
    Tuesday's goal was to cycle to and from work. :thumbsup:
    Wednesday's goal was to run 10K. Ended up cutting the run a little short. :madman:
    Thursday's goal is to cycle to and from work. Once I leave in the morning, the rest is muscle memory.
    Friday's goal is to run a group 3 mile run with my command. I really don't have a choice on that one.

So when it is all said and done if the only goal that I didn't complete was cutting a run a little short, I'll be okay with that.

For me training is all about meetinggoals...

But whatever...next week or the week after might be a little harder.....
  • 08-03-2011
    Solomon76
    I'm just trying to keep things interesting. I've already ran a couple half marathons, a few 10Ks and a bunch of 5Ks. I've already cycled about 5 imperial centuries to include a 160 miler, not to mention dozens of metric centuries. I didn't mean to come off as a ******, but I wouldn't have attempted this if I felt that it wasn't within my capabilities.
  • 08-03-2011
    Maximus_XXIV
    Stretch goals can be good.
  • 08-04-2011
    Solomon76
    I cycled into work again today.:thumbsup: 27.13 miles in 1h 38m 23s, which is only 1m 21s slower than the time that it took me on Tuesday. I feel like I'm in the home stretch because I know that I'm going to ride home today, and I don't have a choice in running the group 3 miler tomorrow.
  • 08-04-2011
    jrm
    Id consider
    using a bus bridge or something in between some of those days when your just burnt out but still wanna ride. Your schedule screams over doing it.
  • 08-04-2011
    Solomon76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    ...Your schedule screams over doing it.

Maybe so, but the sense of accomplishment wouldn't be as great if it was any easier.
  • 08-05-2011
    Solomon76
    I did it!
    I finished the week.

Yesterday's ride home was better than I expected. I even set a personal best time compared to all the rest of the times I've ridden from work to home.

The command group run this morning ended up being 3.6 miles at a 9:45 pace. I completed it although I was ready for it to be over from the moment we started.

My college classes are on Monday and Wednesday nights for the next 3 weeks and then a new term starts and my classes will be on Monday and Thursday nights. I think that I'm going to continue this week's routine for the next 3 weeks. However, I'm going to cut the runs on Monday and Wednesday down to the 4 - 4.5 mile range and I don't think that we are going to have another command group run for the rest of this month.
  • 08-05-2011
    CarolinaLL6
    27 mi commute in the Tampa area, I'm impressed. :thumbsup: In the 2 yrs I lived there I would not ride in that traffic.
  • 08-05-2011
    jrm
    Ok, but
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Solomon76 View Post
    Maybe so, but the sense of accomplishment wouldn't be as great if it was any easier.

remember, choose your battles carefully.