Planning on commuting tomorrow for the first time!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Planning on commuting tomorrow for the first time!

Well i think it's time for me to start commuting. My commute is only 3.5 miles, but hey I'm a little nervous, I never did it before. I will probably be riding in the dark on the way home. I think I am going to buy a magic shine for the front. I already have a Planet Bike Superflash Stealth for the rear. I am going to be wearing a pack with a change of clothes to change into when I get to work and also my lunch for the day. I hope it all goes well.

Figured I would share with you.

Mike

Moderator Moderator
    Great! Hope you have a great ride...but as they say a bad day biking beats a good day driving...I was so excited the first time I biked to work at my old job that I did a lap around the cubes when I got there. Are you getting the light tomorrow or do you have to order it? If you won't have it yet & it will be dark, maybe you can bungee on a flashlight or buy a cheap blinkie for some visibility. Now go get a good night's sleep. Don't forget a lock if you need one.

mtbr member
    I plan on ordering a Magic shine. I have a head lamp I can use in the meantime. It is not nearly as bright, but it is better than nothing.

I just mounted the Superflash this evening. I just hope I don't forget my shoes or something stupid like that!

I have a safe place to put my bike at work. I shouldn't need a lock.

Mike

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    Well i think it's time for me to start commuting. My commute is only 3.5 miles,
    Wow, you must have to punch in really early!

Seriously, though- be safe and enjoy yourself. I hope all goes well for you.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What do you wear at work?
    At just 3.5 miles, your commute might be short enough that you don't really need to gear up to ride in to work. Just throw on your helmet and gloves, strap down the right pats leg and mash into work....

I have about 25km to commute, so it's really more than just a quick jaunt in. I keep my work clothes in a locker at work... I find the commute is much more enjoyable when I don't have a heavy bag full of clothes and shoes etc. on my back....

Just a thought...

anyway, enjoy the ride, welcome to the club

mtbr member
    I can wear whatever I want to work. I was thinking I could just do what you said. I was wondering what to strap down the right pant leg with? I usually just wear under armour so I don't have that problem. I would wear shorts, but it's still a little too chilly.

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I can wear whatever I want to work. I was thinking I could just do what you said. I was wondering what to strap down the right pant leg with? I usually just wear under armour so I don't have that problem. I would wear shorts, but it's still a little too chilly.

Mike
    I'm at 4.5 miles in, I just roll up the right leg and wear wool socks if its chilly. I ride in khaki type pants and a button up shirt. I keep shoes at work.

mtbr member
    Alright, I am about to leave, I will check in after I get home tonight. Thanks!

Mike

mtbr member
    Thinking safe thoughts for you.

One Colorful Rider
    3.5 miles, you should be commuting by bike!

I have a Magic Shine, Its an Awesome light. Best for the Price.

Wear Street clothes your not that far. It's like a 15 minute ride.

As of Last night I marked 999 Commuter miles for 2010.
    Yes thats 666 Upside Down
    I live in the Far Northwest Suburb of Chicago.

Get on Your Bike and Ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There are all sorts of things you can use for the pants leg.... Hair bands... rubber bands... There are products specifically for strapping donw a pant leg for cycling. Not sure how readily available they are in the states... their in all major department stores here in germany because of the popularity of practical daily cycling.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Hope you have a safe first commute Mike. And most importantly, have fun!

I wear a reflective, velcro strap to keep my pant leg in check and as long as it's not too tight or too loose it does the job just fine.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Well I did it! I had a safe trip to and from work. It took me 22 mins there about about 25 mins back. I decided not to bike again until I get a head light. Parts of a 4 lane road was VERY DARK! You don't know how dark it is until you bike without a light! I did have a coworker stop me and tell my he could see my Superflash a quarter mile back. That's great! He said I should get some more reflective stuff. Even with a vest on over my pack he said he could not see it. I guess it was at the wrong angle. any ideas?

I am going to buy a magic shine tonight and 2 day air it to have it for next week.

I used a rubber band for my pant leg. I might get a reflective leg band. Thanks for the warm thoughts!

Mike

weirdo
    Way to go

Yeah, I hear those MagicShines are a real bargain. For reflectors, reflective tape works very well- best if you use it on rotating parts (rims and cranks) as well as a good mix surfaces that show up well from each side as well as the rear (main tubes of your frame, back of the rack). CommuterBoy and a few others have some awesome spoke reflectors, somebody will probably put up a link for those. I was going to shell out for some too, but ended up putting Reflexite tape on my rims instead. Your vest didn`t show up? What kind of vest was it? I really like the kind that road workers use with bright colored mesh and a bunch of SOLAS type stuff criss-crossing the front and back and wrapping around the sieds. We have a little saftey supply outfit in the industrial part of town that carries a selection of them.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Way to go

Yeah, I hear those MagicShines are a real bargain. For reflectors, reflective tape works very well- best if you use it on rotating parts (rims and cranks) as well as a good mix surfaces that show up well from each side as well as the rear (main tubes of your frame, back of the rack). CommuterBoy and a few others have some awesome spoke reflectors, somebody will probably put up a link for those. I was going to shell out for some too, but ended up putting Reflexite tape on my rims instead. Your vest didn`t show up? What kind of vest was it? I really like the kind that road workers use with bright colored mesh and a bunch of SOLAS type stuff criss-crossing the front and back and wrapping around the sieds. We have a little saftey supply outfit in the industrial part of town that carries a selection of them.

I have one of those construction vests. But I think the problem was that it was on my pack and when I was on my bike bent over it was facing up not towards the back.

Mike

mtbr member
    Well I did it! I had a safe trip to and from work. It took me 22 mins there about about 25 mins back. I decided not to bike again until I get a head light. Parts of a 4 lane road was VERY DARK! You don't know how dark it is until you bike without a light! I did have a coworker stop me and tell my he could see my Superflash a quarter mile back. That's great! He said I should get some more reflective stuff. Even with a vest on over my pack he said he could not see it. I guess it was at the wrong angle. any ideas?

I am going to buy a magic shine tonight and 2 day air it to have it for next week.

I used a rubber band for my pant leg. I might get a reflective leg band. Thanks for the warm thoughts!

Mike

Sweet! Also very wise of you. Here is a thread to read with the lightweights in it. Actually cheaper at Performance, though.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=585603

I sit quasi upright so the ANSI vest is working very well for me. I also added lightweights and reflective tape to forks and chainstays with lightweights on pedals. In an emergency, Duct tape works on pants legs if you let the tape mostly adhere to itself, little adhesive gets on the pants. The velcro reflective bands are at most any LBS and I have even seen them in a discount store in the bike section.

Check thread Post 3 for bright butt, whole thread is worthwhile:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=207916

mtbr member
    great threads, thanks for posting them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I usually use some kind of mini clip -- office supply, chip clip type of thing. I fold it the pant leg over to the outside and clip it into place. My wife has really nice Martha Stewart bag clips that I keep snagging for my pant leg, Haha. Just til it's warm, then I roll em up or cut em off.

Members who have read this thread: 0