personal hygiene?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

personal hygiene?

I'm a teacher at the local high school and I would love to commute(by bike) to school as much as possible; thus leaving my gas loving truck at home. The major problem I have is I live in Florida and I have a tendency to SWEAT (a lot, dripping off your nose amount). This wouldn't be a concern if the showers worked in the boys' or coach's (which I am) locker rooms. I know they work in the girls' locker room because some of my athlete's have informed me and told me they will "watch the door". UMM...NO Thank you .
    Is there something I could use in order to "freshen up" before classes? Something like "shower in a bottle" or body wipes? Any suggestions will be much appreciative.

I Rode a Metric Century!
    Ride to Work, have someone drive you home, shower, then have them drive you back to work, Your your day and then ride home.

I have used baby whipes, but my current job has showers.

mtbr member
    Why don't the showers work?
    I'm here for the OT

responsible zombie owner
    Drive to work on Monday, with your work clothes for the week. Cycle to work Tues-Fri in cycling gear, freshen up over the sink (wash face, scrub your armpits, apply liberal deodorant), get changed in the restroom.

Ta-daa!!

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    A high school without working showers??
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sink and baby wipes (Or Alcohol pads, which cool you down as well). Bring some sort of liquid soap (body wash type) if you tend to have an odor as well as sweat (I sweat a lot but a bike ride doesn't make me stink, all body chemistry). I also work in a HS and don't even want to consider using the showers in the locker room. My commute is very short, but that is what I do if I go to the gym in the morning.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    Drive to work on Monday, with your work clothes for the week. Cycle to work Tues-Fri in cycling gear, freshen up over the sink (wash face, scrub your armpits, apply liberal deodorant), get changed in the restroom.

Ta-daa!!
    I agree. (Means the same as +1, but more three or more characters.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Oct 2005
    I get where I need to a bit early, just to wipe off.

I generally don't have an odor problem, however.

Jan 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. As for the showers, they may or may not work on a given day and when they do....it's a gamble as to the water color and temp avail. The county is too busy spending money on 'other' endeavors. Everyday I have male students coming to my class after gym (in a full sweat) asking if they can go the restroom to clean-up.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I sweat a lot too, but fresh sweat isn't supposed to smell. After being at work for an hour or so I'm pretty dry. Then I take a shower at night when I get home. The baby wipes/alchohol pads idea is pretty sound. Or you could wear some moisture-wicking gear and change once you get to work. Or you could just bring a clean towel with you, towel off at work and just change it out every couple of days.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    I'm a sweaty, gross mess as well.
    I shower before I leave the house. When I get to work I clean off with baby wipes and liberally apply Gold Bond Body Powder. It keeps me dry, cool and the stink at bay. I have a co-worker who would tell me if I stunk, gladly.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    I sweat a lot too, but fresh sweat isn't supposed to smell. After being at work for an hour or so I'm pretty dry. Then I take a shower at night when I get home. The baby wipes/alchohol pads idea is pretty sound. Or you could wear some moisture-wicking gear and change once you get to work. Or you could just bring a clean towel with you, towel off at work and just change it out every couple of days.
    I sweat alot. And sweat is usually not the one that causes stink. Its stinks if u continue to wear the sweat soak cycling attire. I never even shower after commuting to work. I just wipe my body clean, cool it down and wear a fresh working attire. I never smell stink and my colleague never even mention it. They only complain it when I rush in workplace still with my sweaty cycling attire...

To me, the most important things are to have a proper area to hang my sweaty attire and dry it. Shower Room to me is never neccesary. The most, I will bring a bottle of fragrance.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    I sweat alot. And sweat is usually not the one that causes stink. Its stinks if u continue to wear the sweat soak cycling attire. I never even shower after commuting to work. I just wipe my body clean, cool it down and wear a fresh working attire. I never smell stink and my colleague never even mention it. They only complain it when I rush in workplace still with my sweaty cycling attire...

To me, the most important things are to have a proper area to hang my sweaty attire and dry it. Shower Room to me is never neccesary. The most, I will bring a bottle of fragrance.
    I have to agree with this. Change out of the clothes you rode in and you won't have a problem. Finding somewhere to dry the wet and stinking rags that you rode in though, now that's a problem.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    If there is a gym nearby, they will probably give you a discounted membership to only use the showers. I did that for a month until I figured out our building has showers.

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I am a teacher as well and our showers are pretty nasty. The shower curtain is a nasty color of black and it was once white. Usually, when I ride in, I have a large canister of moist wipes and take a handi-wipe shower. I have asked others if I smell and I had no unfortunate fragrances coming from my body.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Washcloths and a large ziplock freezer bag to toss them in after, after doing a quick standing bath/wipedown can be used. A little deodorant/body spray will help too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by littlekid
    Thanks for the suggestions. As for the showers, they may or may not work on a given day and when they do....it's a gamble as to the water color and temp avail. The county is too busy spending money on 'other' endeavors. Everyday I have male students coming to my class after gym (in a full sweat) asking if they can go the restroom to clean-up.
    You need to make the public / school board aware of this issue. This is a health and wellfare issue, endangering the health and well being of the students. Check out if the state has any laws regarding this too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Whore Bath

I served 4 years as a US Army Officer. As you can imagine we had many similar situations where we had to clean up a without access to showers. The expression "whore bath" meant -- dry off, brush teeth, use a wash cloth to wash face, arm pits, ass, etc. It was used like this: "Men have 15 minutes, go inside take a whore bath and form up outside at 1630."
    '

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One more suggestion besides having fresh clothes is to leave plenty of time after arrival to cool off, before changing. Depending on the distance ridden, terrain, and outdoor temp it might take you almost as long to cool off after a ride as the ride itself.

Cool down times of 1/2 hour or more are common, and if you do a sink wash/wipe and change too early you'll continue to sweat in your fresh clothes.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    One more suggestion besides having fresh clothes is to leave plenty of time after arrival to cool off, before changing. Depending on the distance ridden, terrain, and outdoor temp it might take you almost as long to cool off after a ride as the ride itself.

Cool down times of 1/2 hour or more are common, and if you do a sink wash/wipe and change too early you'll continue to sweat in your fresh clothes.
    Yep, that's true. But on a 4-10 work schedule, its hard to get up that early to be able to cool down... I have to be at the corporate office by no later than 5:10 am in order to catch my vanpool out to the work site.

But once a week I have a meeting at the corporate office at 6:00 am, and I'm usually sweating severely though the first half of that meeting I guess I could arrive earlier and cool down before for that one.

Jan 2008
    Did a test run/commute to the school for a "training" conference yesterday. Distance 5miles, temp. 79-83 degrees(change during ride duration) w/ 82% humidity @ 7:30am. I was, let's say, sweaty and will experience approx. similar temp/humidity until late Nov./early Dec. . Since this was a "test run" I didn't bring a change of clothes but used my wife's suggestion of carrying a bottle of "H.S.Scent Scent-a-way" (I use during hunting season). When I got to school I went to the restroom toweled off, sprayed myself, clothing, and re-dressed in the same clothes. Throughout the 7hr. training I asked my fellow compatriots if I smelled in the least and none could tell that I arrived sweating.
    I don't why I didn't think of this before since I'm a HUGE fan of H.S.Scent's Scent-a-way in the woods during hunting season; a side bonus is when I spray myself, it instantly cools me off. I believe I've(my wife that is) solved my "no-shower" dilemma.
    Thanks to all for your input. And yes I've brought up the idea of the showers not conforming to the sanitation and safety of the students. Was informed, it will be addressed when funds come available. H3ll, the AC in my room doesn't work half the time.

Jan 2008
    Did a test run/commute to the school for a "training" conference yesterday. Distance 5miles, temp. 79-83 degrees(change during ride duration) w/ 82% humidity @ 7:30am. I was, let's say, sweaty and will experience approx. similar temp/humidity until late Nov./early Dec. . Since this was a "test run" I didn't bring a change of clothes but used my wife's suggestion of carrying a bottle of "H.S.Scent Scent-a-way" (I use during hunting season). When I got to school I went to the restroom toweled off, sprayed myself, clothing, and re-dressed in the same clothes. Throughout the 7hr. training I asked my fellow compatriots if I smelled in the least and none could tell that I arrived sweating.
    I don't why I didn't think of this before since I'm a HUGE fan of H.S.Scent's Scent-a-way in the woods during hunting season; a side bonus is when I spray myself, it instantly cools me off. I believe I've(my wife that is) solved my "no-shower" dilemma.
    Thanks to all for your input. And yes I've brought up the idea of the showers not conforming to the sanitation and safety of the students. Was informed, it will be addressed when funds come available. H3ll, the AC in my room doesn't work half the time.

Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can't believe nobody suggested Botox injections! (for some reason when Botox is injected in your pits they don't sweat anymore). I really don't support this, however.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaggart
    I can't believe nobody suggested Botox injections! (for some reason when Botox is injected in your pits they don't sweat anymore). I really don't support this, however.
    Might not be a good idea though, since a lot of your body heat is radiated through your pits.

My Brain Hurts!
    Lot's of good advice here!

First off, I always have a change of clothes at work, including an extra undershirt over and above the spare clothes. If you have a bag on a rack or ride with a backpack it is real easy to shuttle clothes back and forth.

I take heavy advantage of the days when I drive the ol van to work to shuttle stuff to and from, and it doesn't hurt that I have a company van and I drive by my house about 12 times a week while working, so I guess I have an advantage to moving bulky items to and from work.

I also wear different clothes to ride in and change at work, I also have a washcloth and the big ol' shower in a can wipes! I look for the kind that are made for campers or for old people (in the pharmacy area of Wally World or any CVS/Walgreens etc...) deodorant is a must and Gold Bond Powder is a gift from Heaven!

I never wear antiperspirant, only deodorant. You are meant to sweat to remove excess heat!

With a tiny bit of effort or forethought anyone can commute at least 4 of the 5 days of the week....maybe all of them?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Just confirming what has been said:
    - Wet Wipes!
    - Deodorant vs Anti-P (easier on the arm pits)
    - I also use a wash cloth on the arm pits (Using wipes every day tends to irritate)
    - I shave the night before (A light stumble is fashionable again)
    - I drive in once every 5 - 10 days. Bring in a fresh round of clothes and supplies as needed. That saves doing to back pack thing every day and I don't have to worry that I forgot something.

I usually try to get in a little early. I'll read some email and let my body cool down for a while before changing. There is a utility area that we could convert to a shower, but the wipes / wash cloth has worked out so well I haven't bothered to pursue to shower idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I do a cool down, change clothes, quick sink wash, and the most important part.....AXE body spray.... the chics will all jump you...DUH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Move. Your biggest problem is you live in Florida.

Jan 2008
    Doggity,
    Yes, Florida can be a problem concerning the HEAT/humidity factor but...my biggest vice is saltwater fishing and Florida has some of the best. On top of that I'm an 8th generation Floridian and it would be next to sacrilege to leave due to a minor point (heat).

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm a teacher at the local high school too, and I've been riding to work for about 5 school years, 5.5 miles one way.

I have a classroom (assuming you have a coach's office or access to a locker at least). I keep a week's worth of teaching pants/shirts/shoes in a cabinet at work... when I'm in town with the car on the weekends I swap out that set of clothes for another week (or two) worth.... in my backpack I carry a t-shirt and underwear. The only thing I sometimes ride in that I wear during the day is socks, and only occasionally. I'll bring socks in the backpack too a lot of the time. On the bike I'm in a jersey and biking shorts...plus some layers in the winter.

I give myself plenty of time, and when I get to work I change in a staff bathroom... I use wet-wipes to freshen up (mostly in the southern regions), and I don't change until I've basically stopped sweating...maybe 10-20 minutes after I get there. I don't shower at work, and I've never been told I'm stinky...believe me, high school students would let you know.

The biggest factor for me is showering in the morning before I leave the house. It makes a big difference, even though you go right out and get sweaty. If I shower at night, I get funky riding the next morning and I can tell. Showering that morning before I leave the house, and a wet-wipe wipe-down and I'm good to go. I stash deodorant and hair gel at work also.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

First commute

Rode to work for the first time yesterday, was really fun albeit difficult at times as I have some serious hills to climb. I just brought a book bag with my work clothes, shoes, wash cloth in a ziplock, and some deodorant with me and changed/wiped off in the bathroom. I also made sure I was early so that I would have some time to cool off and stop sweating. The temperature was in the 90's yesterday. Thinking of trying the gold bond, I have never used it before but, it sounds like it works well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Do any of you ride in the rain?

If so how do you keep your belongings dry and what do you alter from your normal "sunny" rides?

Bedwards Of The West
    I ride in the rain/sleet quite a bit in the winter.
    The single biggest factor is a decent set of fenders. Having good fenders makes the whole experience waaaaaaay more positive. It's not the rain that is nasty, it's all the road grime that gets all over you when you don't have fenders that makes it suck.

I have a pretty decently waterproof backpack (North Face Slingshot), and I have decent rain gear (Louis Garneau and Columbia stuff) that I wear over my normal bike gear. Having my work clothes stashed at work means that the worst that can happen is water getting into the backpack and getting my undershirt/underwear wet, both of which you can live without if you need to.

Seriously though, rain is a minor inconvenience when you have fenders. When you don't have fenders, it can be horrible.

No-Brakes Cougar
    The man speaks the truth, fenders are your greatest ally when riding in the rain! Other than that and a water resistant wind breaker I don't really have any rain gear. Then again, my commute is short enough that I don't get that soaked. Last winter, most of the time it rained the rain had stopped by the time I left work or home. Just be sure and run your lights, just like you would if you were driving.

Aug 2009
    I altered my schedule, arriving at work at 6:45AM. That kept the temperature and the sweat down. Kept extra clothes at work and did the spit bath thing as others have reported. Despite my preparations there were a couple of days when I was wearing a suit with no socks.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    ^
    Don Johnson?
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The only problem is I have a mountain bike and don't really have a commuter to add fenders too. I suppose I could use my old, cheap, fs bike but, its a little small for me so it tends to be uncomfortable. Is it unheard of to have fenders on a trail bike lol?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I put fenders on my mountain bike during the snow and rain/mud seasons. I've even raced with them. Around the Pacific Northwest, it's not that uncommon.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I get where I need to a bit early, just to wipe off.

I generally don't have an odor problem, however.
    Jerk Chicken, since you live in Germany, I know from personal experience that you MIGHT have an odor problem and you just aren't aware of it, becuase it still pales in comparison to the odor problem of your work colleagues!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEndRB
    The only problem is I have a mountain bike and don't really have a commuter to add fenders too. I suppose I could use my old, cheap, fs bike but, its a little small for me so it tends to be uncomfortable. Is it unheard of to have fenders on a trail bike lol?
    I also do the mountain bike commute. I get a little rooster tail action on the back on my jacket / jersey, but that's not a biggy. I may have to do a little extra clean up on the legs to get off some extra grime, but nothing severe.

My biggest issue is the trail portion of the ride. If it rains, I have a real problem when I get to work and both the bike and I are covered in mud. Usually I try to divert and take the road in if its gonna be muddy, but sometimes it has already stopped raining and I take a chance. It usually doesn't work out well and I'm trying to get the mud off my bike in the parking lot before I bring it in the office. (The upside is riding home in the mud is a BLAST!)

Bedwards Of The West
    I've always had a bigger issue with the spray from the front wheel than the rooster tail from the back when I don't have the fenders on.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEndRB
    There are a number of snap on/removable fender you can run on your MTB.

mtbr member
    I commute quite a bit to work and have some summer pointers that work for me.

I have a stash of clothes and some towels at work and usually carry clean underwear, a t-shirt and socks with me to change into.

A modified whore's bath in the latrine: I wash my hair in the sink with cool water and it seems to really help me cool down faster and stop sweating. I change into my work clothes after I do this.

I hang my sweaty bike clothes in front of an AC vent in an out-of-the-way room to dry them for my trip home.

My biggest peeve was that my helmet liner would still be soggy and cold in the evening so I started packing the inside of the helmet with paper towels to wick the moisture out of the liner. I changed the paper towels a few times in the morning and the liner is dry by noon.

Members who have read this thread: 0