Pedals for a multiuse bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pedals for a multiuse bike

My next bike (Surly Ogre) will be primarily a mountain bike, but I've latelly using the bike more and more for daily chores, like gorceries or meet someone somewhere for a beer. Not really commuting (I use my XT1200Z for that), but I do a fair amount of miles this way.

So the problem are th pedals. I only use clipless (Time Atacs) for mtb, but is a pain in the ass to put on/off my Sidi shoes all the time. I would really like to knwo if there are any clipless pedals that can still provide an acceptable grip with normal athletic shoes or mountain boots. I know the ideal would be to switch pedals acording to use, but thats also boring as hell.

I can get a good deal on a pair of Time Z Freerides. Time has by far my favorite clipping mechanism. Are this pedals acceptable to ride in normal shoes? I'm not expecting platform pedal performance, only some security.

Short-Change-Hero
    How about different shoes instead?
    Shoes | CHROME | Official Site

mtbr member
    Those shoes are a really cool concept, but they are what I'm trying to avoid, the use of a bike specific shoe

jrm
    mtbr member

Ive found that

I like bmx flat pedals on the CX SS bike i use the most.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    ... I would really like to knwo if there are any clipless pedals that can still provide an acceptable grip with normal athletic shoes or mountain boots....
    I guess the answer is no. Any clipless pedal is going to require a cleat and a cleat needs a place to mount and a normal shoe doesn't have that place.

mtbr member
    It's obvious that I failed to explain myself properly.
    I'm looking for a clipless pedal, that's going to be primarely used off road with dedicated mtb shoes (Sidi Giau), but since I use the bike daily, it would be nice if the pedal offered some grip/support to be used with normal footwear. To my mind come the Time Z Freeride or the CB Mallets as possible examples

Short-Change-Hero
    So you are looking for something that has a platform AND the ability to do clipless. Ok now I understand... Maybe something like the Crank Brothers Candy or Shimano M530 Trail pedal then. I know that Shimano used to make a low end pedal that was a flat on one side and a clip on the other.

Really though it seems like you are happy with the clipless but you are really looking for a more versatile SHOE, something with a more recessed cleat area that would allow you to walk around normally without skidding or looking strange from walking on the cleat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    whatever you do skip the shimano m424's they're junk. they may make a better caged clip pedal but the 424's soured me on them.

there are a few flip flop ( one side cleat one side platform) options as well. most of the reviews i've seen on them are fairly meh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The two answers that come to mind are downhill style full platform like the Crank Brothers Mallet or a more walkable shoe. I have ridden Mallets in running shoes and it sort of works but I wouldn't make a habit of it. I keep sneakers at work so I can change when I ride clipless to work and my son uses single sided (SPD one side, cage the other) on his knockaround bike.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    I think the solution is with a DH platform clipless pedal. Those single sided SPDs are horrible, my father uses them so I know how bad they are from experience.
    Like I said before, I'm not expecting/need to have bmx pedal-like grip when using them with regular shoes, only minimal safety/confort/control.

After a little research, here's what I've seen:

-Time Z someting- I just love Time 's action and reliability. However the platform looks a little uneffective.

-CB Mallet- The platform seems to be quite substantial, like a real flat pedal, with pins and all. I'm not a fan of CB action, and from what I know their reliability is far from perfect.

-Shimano M730/785- The platform seems minimal, but I've heard that it's actually quite reasonable for some regular shoe use, any comments? Classic SPD action, I like it, but prefer Time by far.

Shimano M545- I know very little about this one, but looks to have a reasonably big platform.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Shimano M545- I know very little about this one, but looks to have a reasonably big platform.
    the 545 is an upgraded 424, the cage around the clip is fairly large.
    the 545 runs a metal cage which is one of my biggest complaints about the 424 (which are garbage plastic), clipping in takes a little more thought/pressure than the m770's i have on my other bike.

CB of the East
    Oh, now I get ya. It sounds like you are getting what you need now. Nashbar use to have a SPD pedal with big platforms. I even bought some but I've never tried them. They have a nice big platform but the cleats stick out a little far. I've had great luck with Nashbar SPD style pedals.

Nashbar Excursion Dual Sided NS-ESPP. I'm not sure if they will ever get them back in stock.

Nashbar - Nashbar Excursion Dual Sided Mountain Bike Platform Pedal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedals for a multiuse bike-2012-07-04-07.35.54.jpg  

Professional Nerd
    I've been riding CB Mallets for probably 5 or 6 years. I need the same type of flexibility that you mention, and I use egg beaters on my other bikes, so having a common cleat between them is important to me.

I've never rebuilt them, and they're probably due. Regardless, they've been very reliable. I've had some mountain shoes that required shims under the cleats to ensure a smooth clip in/out without catching on the platform. With normal shoes, I've had a few instances where my foot slipped off of the pedal as the egg beater rolled under my shoe. One time sucked real bad and I still have some kick ass scars on my shin from the edge of the platform. Also, they're heavy as hell.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help.
    I've been looking at these ones:

They share the same mechanism as my current pedals, which is very, very good.

CB of the East
    Time Z for Ze Zasker - report back. Those pedals may be in my future. I run time on 2 bikes and it they work good with flat shoes I may try them on a third.

Short-Change-Hero
    If you already have the Time pedals and like their action why not give the platforms a shot? Seems like it just what you are looking and I would maybe order through your LBS and see if you can "try" them for a week that way if they are absolutely atrocious you can exchange for something else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    I'm going to give Time Zs a try.
    Those Decksters are an interesting concept, but have two problems: They only give a one sided platform and I think they are simply too expensive for what they are

dirtbag
    I have the Time Zs on my main commuter. I'm also a Time whore and run them solely on my bikes, even converted my road bike to a Time mtb pedal.

The Zs provide a nice large platform for street shoes. I commute to work in NW shoes then go to the gym to shower then ride a short distance to my office in my street shoes.

I also have the smaller platform, Time X ROC pedals. They're also decent with street shoes but not as nice as the Zs.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Thank you, that's what I needed to hear. My lbs can get me a massively discounted pair of Z Freerides, so I think I'll give them a chance

Members who have read this thread: 0