Panniers?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Panniers?

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

Panniers?

I figured this would be the best place to ask this...wha are some good panniers and racks that are easy to carry around off the bike when I need to.

They would mainly be for trail riding because I'm starting to not like carrying stuff on me such as a backpack.

Needs to be able to hold:
    -Water
    -Food
    -Towel
    -Some spare parts and tools
    -Tubes
    -Sweater+water/windproof shell
    -Change of clothes
    -Fishing gear every now and then(For when I ride down to the river when its not super high and dirty.)

Thanks in advance.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Zadey - Hopefully you don't mind but I'm going to follow this with interest since I am looking for some high quality ones as well.

Whatn I can tell you is stay away from Topeak. I have their EXP with zip down panniers. I ride a lot of rails to trails so we are talking smooth surface unlike what true trail riding would see. The bag is 3 months old and has 250 miles on it and the bag is showing quite a bit of wear in the area the bag makes contact with the bike rack. Totally unacceptable.

I spoke to Topeak who said I was overloading the bag and in the pictures I sent they stated it was normal wear. In my panniers I carry 2-4 bottles of vitamin water on one side and the other side is a small camera lens, granola bars, gps unit and a AA flashlight.

Basically their bags are made for fluff or lightweight jackets.

So like you I need a high quality pannier that is going to stand up to being used and not just looking good on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ortlieb. They come with a should strap, totally waterproof, pop on and off with ease. Depending on the weight of your gear, which seems rather minimal, any rear rack would be sufficient.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ortlieb.

Waterproof and they are easy to attach and remove. The retention mechanism also means they won't bounce off the bike.

Downsides:
    heavy
    no outside pockets
    minimal inner pockets

Something to consider about racks...
    I have a Topeak Explorer Disc rack. It works fine but it is painted aluminum. The plastic frame on my bags has actually worn through the paint and is slowly grinding through the aluminum. I saw a tour report once where the rider's Ortlieb bag did this and eventually caused rack failure. My rack will eventually have to be replaced. When I do replace it, I'll probably go with an Old Man Mountain or a Tubus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    Ortlieb.

Waterproof and they are easy to attach and remove. The retention mechanism also means they won't bounce off the bike.

Downsides:
    heavy
    no outside pockets
    minimal inner pockets

I have a Topeak Explorer Disc rack. It works fine but it is painted aluminum. The plastic frame on my bags has actually worn through the paint and is slowly grinding through the aluminum. I saw a tour report once where the rider's Ortlieb bag did this and eventually caused rack failure. My rack will eventually have to be replaced. When I do replace it, I'll probably go with an Old Man Mountain or a Tubus.

I have the same rack from Topeak. Does Topeak make anything that is quality? Unfortunately I fitted two bikes out with $300 of their bags and racks.

viva la v-brakes!
    Arkel.

They have a model "The Bug" that switches up and becomes a backpack for off-the-bike use. They also have a nice rack trunk called the "Tailrider" which is pretty big, and might gobble up all the stuff you want to carry. Very good quality stuff and good customer service, made in Canada.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    Ortlieb.

Downsides:
    heavy
    no outside pockets
    minimal inner pockets

I don't know what the differences in the racks are but I have an OMM cold springs rack and its also aluminum

Members who have read this thread: 0