Paid to bike to work- Mtbr.com
    Curb huggin groove junkie
    Feb 2012

Paid to bike to work

New here, and not sure if this has been covered all ready (quick forum search got me nothing) , but I just wanted to mention a program that my work uses. I'm hoping someone out there might have such a plan available to them and not even know it...yet.

I work for the US Forest Service as a firefighter, and recently learned, that we have a plan (for those who sign up) to give a little extra cash in each paycheck, to those who commute to work on a bicycle a certain percentage of the time.

I'm not talking a major pay raise or anything, but it's enough to cover the cost of your day to day bike maintenance. I just have to provide them with receipts for any of my costs and they slowly reimburse me. Far as I know, when I give them the receipt for my current bike, they will just keep paying me back till its covered...though that will certainly take a good number of years...

Anyway, I was pretty stoked that the Fed had such a program, and maybe this post will help someone out there find out they have a job that offers something in the same line.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Thatíd be pretty cool if it ended up (over the long term) covering the cost of wheel truing, patch kits, chain/drivetrain maintenance, etc. Iím a contractor, so I end up paying for all that stuff myself, but I must admit I like doing ALL the work on my own bikes, fun excuse to drink lots of beer in the garage.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    I work for DOI and I am not aware of such a program. I know they reimburse you for taking public transportation but I need to look into this more. I've always thought that it would be nice if they provided an incentive to ride. Does anyone else on here have more info?

Curb huggin groove junkie
    Feb 2012
    I'll dig up the actual paperwork this coming week and post back here. My initial guess, would be that working for DOI would give you access to the exact same program.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My wife gets a dollar per commute leg she does not drive solo (so, carpool, bus, bike, whatever...). There was also a year period when her office's parking garage was getting worked on so they doubled the non-driving subsidy. They get the subsidy once a month but only if they pass a minimum threshold (one or 2 legs a month won't cut it; not sure what the minimum is, might be 8 legs)

Really it doesn't matter if it doesn't cover expenses if you were going to do it anyway.

CB of the East
    Here's a FAQ on it.
    Bicycle Commuter Tax Provision: Frequently Asked Questions

It is basically an optional benefit that your employer can offer you just like health insurance or anything else. The benefit to them is that the money they pay out is tax deductible but it still comes out of your employers pocket (or at least about 65% of it does, the rest they save in taxes assuming they are paying 35%) The tax deductible portion is $20/month. I've been trying to get it implemented at my work but I'm the only bike commuter out of 100+ employes so they don't really have any incentive to go through the work to set it up. I'm hoping for this year. An extra $240 in my pocket tax free every year wouldn't hurt my feelings.

LightJunction.com
    You sir, are a lucky man.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

blet drive
    we get $20 each month as long as we do one day
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    As was mentioned earlier, it's up to $20 a month either tax deductible or payment to the employee. This benefit is highly employer dependent though. I asked about this at work and the response I received makes "**** off" sound nice

I see two or three dozen of bicycles locked up daily throughout campus so I know I'm not the lone nut who rides to work. So maybe I was told to **** off because bicyclists are the 1%...

I had know about this program for several years and only asked my employer about it because there was a link that went to a page describing bicycle commuter benefits on the intranet. Little did I know this was put there by an employee health group at work.
    Last edited by jseko; 02-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This is a couple of years old. It used to be a voucher that you could redeem at participation bike shops. It was tied into the public transportation thing mentioned above, where you would get credit to help cover the cost of bus or subway passes. Actually I thought the republicans had managed to kill this.

mtbr member
    My employer reimburses partially for vanpool usage, but not bikes. It would be nice to have a few extra bucks for tubes and maintenance.

Members who have read this thread: 0