ouch. crashed on ice- Mtbr.com

Dec 2009

ouch. crashed on ice

I was hoping that riding home tonight wasn't gonna suck due to the freezing rain. most of the roads were either damp or slightly slushy, but nothing real slick. except for the draw bridge coming out of downtown. just like riding a motorcycle over a draw bridge, a bicycle tends to wander a bit. no big deal.....except when that metal grate is completely covered in ice. the bike started wandering a tad and soon got out of control because there is no grip to bring it back in line. not only did I fall straight down, but continued to slide across the metal grating on my knee and elbow. that really hurts. I had a sweatshirt as well as two layers of fleece on my upper body and I still got tore up pretty bad.

left hand...

right knee

right elbow/side of arm

the one red spot toward the left of that picture is a big lump which feels totally awesome....

I can't wait to see how nicely bruised they'll get.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    ouch. i crashed on ice once each way yesterday. got some freezing rain in iowa and most the roads were fine as it had turned to slush with the packed snow already on the roads and the car traffic etc. the bike path that makes up about 1/2 my commute was almost a clear sheet. i didn't draw blood, i just slid a surprising ways on my side. tweaked my neck/upper back though. stupid ice...
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Bedwards Of The West
    Bummer. Hope you heal up quick. You're making me feel a little better about my decision to drive today.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Dec 2009
    ironic that line right above your signature.

contemplating riding again today. haven't decided if my body is up to it or not.

Bedwards Of The West
    I know. We got about a foot of snow last night... the roads are plowed, but I have this thing about sharing the narrow plowed section with cars on the ice. My excuse is that I fear death. I know it's weak, but there it is.

weirdo
    Ouch! I got it last week in the supermarket parking lot, but nowhere near as bad- my left knee, pant leg, and bar tape each lost a minute bit of skin. I guess smooth pavement is a lot better than metal grating. Funny thing, we got about an inch of snow yesterday and it seems to have added some grip to the black ice that`s been plaguing us lately.

CB, you`re either gonna have to change your signature or start lying when you drive .
    Recalculating....

Dec 2009
    Well I decided to continue riding. Most of the ice had either melted or dried. I feel much better after showering and moving around some although my thumb is by far the worst off. Leg hardly feels different and elbow is much like a regular bruise--only hurts if you bump it against something. As long as we don't get more ice I'll be good. Or at least know where *NOT* to try and ride.

Thankfully the bike fared ok. Good on me for building a beast for winter commuting. The top tube got a small dent I think when the bars slammed into it and the one grip got stuck on it. My planet bike lights didn't fall off and the rear superflash was still going strong. Somehow the 2W front turned itself off but still works fine. They'd be somewhere floating down the Des Plaines river had they not held on.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiofyl
    Well I decided to continue riding. Most of the ice had either melted or dried. I feel much better after showering and moving around some although my thumb is by far the worst off. Leg hardly feels different and elbow is much like a regular bruise--only hurts if you bump it against something. As long as we don't get more ice I'll be good. Or at least know where *NOT* to try and ride.

Thankfully the bike fared ok. Good on me for building a beast for winter commuting. The top tube got a small dent I think when the bars slammed into it and the one grip got stuck on it. My planet bike lights didn't fall off and the rear superflash was still going strong. Somehow the 2W front turned itself off but still works fine. They'd be somewhere floating down the Des Plaines river had they not held on.

The real fix is $60 bucks for a studded front...

I run F/R studs for 6 months of the year, usually say about 2 months of that is a dry pavement.....but we get the little ice patchs easily for that time.

Last time I went down on ice was coming down a spiral ramp from an overpass...the water drips from the top on to the lower parts then freezes in the shade.

Anyway a dinner plate sized patch let go from the concrete and slid into the railing, along with the front tire, studs held ice didn't, oh well.

Not to mention the increased safety that may one day save my nuts, out in traffic.

BTW studs on asphalt are pretty much as good as most knobbies.

Dec 2009
    Yes but do studded tires help on an icy metal grate that a draw bridge is made of? The studs may or may not be in contact with ice due to the amount of openness in the grate.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiofyl
    Yes but do studded tires help on an icy metal grate that a draw bridge is made of? The studs may or may not be in contact with ice due to the amount of openness in the grate.

I would think so, I have seen the type of bridge deck you are talking about, but have not ridden one.

The reason I think they would help is even when they slide (and studs will slide) they leave a path of scratch marks in the ice. The result on the bike is you feel the slide and the jolt of adrelin, but you have way more time to react to that slide, so you can easily recover.....

I suggest it would be similar to ice with an uneven surface, where the studs don't neccessarily always catch each high spot, but they sure do when the slide starts.

Bedwards Of The West
    Signature changed .

Moderator Moderator
    Ooh that smarts! Glad there was no secondary (car) impact! I wouldn't give up my studded tires for anything, but not sure I'd trust them on icy metal either, even though they work great on glare ice if you keep the speed reasonable. I haven't tried a metal bridge, but I can definitely feel the increased slipperiness of other surfaces like the painted white lines, even with the studs. Also, cars with 4x4 & studded tires (a lot of them around here)have been known to slide across bridges & such when they ice up. Still waiting for that all wheel drive bike for winter & trails. So far this winter (fingers crossed) I have not gone down, but I probably owe that partly to the timing of the snowstorms & the plows. A couple nights ago I didn't see a chunk of ice that probably fell off a car & refroze to the road, and it was like someone kicked the base of my front wheel...was lucky to recover that one.

fux
    Scooterist
    Ouch. That doesn`t look fun.

I took the bus today, and will be doing so tomorow too. The roads havn`t been cleared that well and I`m feeling lazy.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    ..... Still waiting for that all wheel drive bike for winter & trails. .
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ed=0CC4Q9QEwBg

https://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2...Store_Code=abs
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    I'm scared of bridge grates, particularly in the wet weather.

If you are going to ride it, make sure not to lean or use the brakes. But you are probably better off walking...

Members who have read this thread: 0