Opinions on low end Bikes Direct bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Opinions on low end Bikes Direct bike

I'm looking for a cheapish bike to put in some road miles between trail rides. I don't really want a pure road bike since where I ride I'm on and off sidewalks. This one caught my eye. It's got road wheels but the tires are on the wider side. I think it'd be able to handle my ride. It's got mechanical disc brakes (I decided I definitely want disc brakes...might have to upgrade them to BB7's if they suck) It's got a carbon fork. Most of the parts are no-name.

Windsor Rapide disc w/carbon fork

What's your professional opinion on this? I have a feeling it might be junk but I just don't know. I can find nothing on the internet about it. I've heard plenty of good things about mid to high end BD bikes, but not much about the low end.

I'd rather be on my bike
    With bikes, it seems like you get what you pay for. I bought a $400 bike online, not the same one, just a single speed/fixie, and to be honest, I have replaced, or will replace just about everything on the bike by the time I am done. I am using it mainly to commute daily to work, and you quickly find out what is and what isn't garbage. Any nice deals on your local Craigslist? Maybe a used bike at a bike shop?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

since 4/10/2009
    It's a $500 hybrid, and not a good one, either.

The bearings on that bike look to be $hit and like TenSpeed said, you'll be replacing them in short order. Look at the dude in the other thread who hit 9999.99 miles on his odometer. He has a bunch of cheap parts, except for the bearings. He uses quality hubs, headset, and bb, and those parts have lasted.

mtbr member
    As much as I dislike BD, I will admit that you can at least usually get decent components for the price. This one is crap components.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Re: Opinions on low end Bikes Direct bike

Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    With bikes, it seems like you get what you pay for. I bought a $400 bike online, not the same one, just a single speed/fixie, and to be honest, I have replaced, or will replace just about everything on the bike by the time I am done. I am using it mainly to commute daily to work, and you quickly find out what is and what isn't garbage. Any nice deals on your local Craigslist? Maybe a used bike at a bike shop?
    I'm in the same boat. I got an inexpensive ss/fixie from them, and just about every part needs work or replacement just after about 400 miles of commuting. I should have paid more for a better bike.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I know that I should have. I only know that now though. Kind of figured that for $400, and a singlespeed, what could be crappy about it? Heh.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I know that I should have. I only know that now though. Kind of figured that for $400, and a singlespeed, what could be crappy about it? Heh.
    All the more reason for me to pass on this one with gears and probably a low quality fork. I probably shouldn't risk my 240lb life with a potentially poorly made carbon fork and crapy wheels.

Thanks for all the input guys. If I have to replace a bunch of parts it's not a good deal anymore. I guess my best bet is to go used. I've been scouring CL and haven't found anything yet. I'll call/visit some bike shops.

I was liking the idea of getting a cheap, new, good enough bike quickly rather than having to deal with the hassle and risk of buying used. Thanks for talking me out of that. I'm sure I would have regretted it.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Glad I came here before hitting.....Buy It Now. <smiles>

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have a 2015 Motobecane fixie from BD, can't speak to the Windsor brand.
    Save Up to 60% Off Road Bikes | Track Bikes | Fixed Gear | Single Speed Bicycles | Motobecane Fixie Flat Bar singlespeed bicycles | Save up to 60% off list prices

The bike has nothing of note on it, replacing anything would be an upgrade. I have ridden it a few hundred miles on it, 40 or so miles a week. If you budget is $300ish, its an okay bike. I am already considering upgrading to a complete bike from a more mainstream brand - surly/trek complete probably. This bike was my first designated commuter, and I have been bitten by the commuting bug which I do owe to this bike.

That being said, I would buy a bike from BD again. Although their website design is from 1994, I can't complain about the delivery time, packaging, ect.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    I'm looking for a cheapish bike to put in some road miles between trail rides. I don't really want a pure road bike since where I ride I'm on and off sidewalks. This one caught my eye. It's got road wheels but the tires are on the wider side. I think it'd be able to handle my ride. It's got mechanical disc brakes (I decided I definitely want disc brakes...might have to upgrade them to BB7's if they suck) It's got a carbon fork. Most of the parts are no-name.

Windsor Rapide disc w/carbon fork

What's your professional opinion on this? I have a feeling it might be junk but I just don't know. I can find nothing on the internet about it. I've heard plenty of good things about mid to high end BD bikes, but not much about the low end.
    I got my SS/Track commuting bike from their sister site (bike island). I only did this because I could not build a bike from my parts bin for what I paid for the complete bike ($129.00) With upgrades (handle bars, brake leavers, pedals) and replacement parts (bb, headset & freewheel) I probably have about $350.00 into this bike.

Also be aware that you are going to want to go through your bike when you get it from a place like this. Both my front and rear hub were not adjusted properly and needed some grease.

I'm happy with my end result. Its not a high end bike, but it gets the job done.