One Way Street Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

One Way Street Question

I have come across a situation I'm not sure of on my way to work. There's a one way street that, if I go down the wrong way, will allow me to skip two relatively intersections. I have attached a wonderful map that Google and I made together. Here's an explanation of the lovely map:

Red arrow = Work
    Yellow arrows = Relatively busy intersections
    Red route = Route involving the one-way street
    Blue route = Route involving the two intersections

Newbury St is the one way, it's .2 miles that I would be traveling in the wrong direction. I have a very good line of sight on the whole street, I feel a lot safer on it than I would going through the other two intersections.

Anyway, would you take this street? Is it legal for a bike to travel the wrong way on a one way street?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One Way Street Question-newbury_st_one_way.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just saw a new route when I was looking at this, and I'm a little embarrassed I didn't see it before. If I go straight past where I usually turn onto Newbury St then bear right at the fork and take a sharp right onto Newbury, I can avoid all of the above issues. Let's pretend I never posted this, okay? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yep, it's illegal to go the wrong way and it is not recommended. I'm glad you got it figured out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I have come across a situation I'm not sure of on my way to work. There's a one way street that, if I go down the wrong way, will allow me to skip two relatively intersections. I have attached a wonderful map that Google and I made together. Here's an explanation of the lovely map:

Red arrow = Work
    Yellow arrows = Relatively busy intersections
    Red route = Route involving the one-way street
    Blue route = Route involving the two intersections

Newbury St is the one way, it's .2 miles that I would be traveling in the wrong direction. I have a very good line of sight on the whole street, I feel a lot safer on it than I would going through the other two intersections.

Anyway, would you take this street? Is it legal for a bike to travel the wrong way on a one way street?

Thanks!
    Glad you found a better route...

I have ridden the wrong way on several short sections like you describe....the good news is the city installed wrong way bike lanes so that now I am legal riding that way....yeah..

I never let a bureaucratic mess interfer with my safety....

On the other hand you had better have a bail out if you need it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Though going against a one way is generally not advisable, sometimes situations come up where it's not so clear cut. What if the one-way section is two car lengths long, extra wide, with no traffic, and designed simply to keep cars out of a given neighborhood?

On the other hand:

I rode in Fort Lauderdale this past winter, and was going with the traffic in the bicycle lane, a normal situation. I encountered, many times, people pedaling in the opposite direction to me *within the same bicycle lane*. Those pedaling in my direction could generally be seen on the sidewalk. The bike lane was not designed to go against traffic, there were no yellow lines etc. I found this strange. It was during spring break, and things were cavelier.
    Check out this short fun blog on downhill mountain bikes

Swedetarded
    You should absolutely take the route that brings you to ice cream.