One of the many reasons I love riding in Stuttgart- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

One of the many reasons I love riding in Stuttgart

I'm going to be transferring back to the U.S. in about 6 months, but I'm really going to miss riding my bike in Germany. With the exception of a couple of months of snow, this has to be one of the best places in the world to commute by bike. Here is one of the coolest tools I've ever seen and just wanted to share it with everyone (hopefully this is what google maps will evolve to one day).

Step 1 - Go to the following web site: http://efa.vvs.de/bike/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Step 2 - Copy and paste "Stuttgart, Bondorfer Weg" in the search block and click 'Search Location'.

Step 3 - Once the page loads, check the 'Origin' box and click 'Apply'. (This is the street that I live on).

Step 4 - Copy and paste "Ritter Sport" in the search block and click 'Search Location'.

Step 5 - Once the page loads, check the Destination' box and click 'Apply'. (This is the Ritter Sport Chocolate Factory in Waldenbuch, Germany).

Step 6 - Click the 'Search' button in the lower left corner of the screen.

On the next screen, you will see a mapped out bike route from my street to the Chocolate Factory in Waldenbuch. From here, you can press the 'printer' icon and see a detailed pdf file of the route with turn by turn directions. On the pdf you can click on any part of the overall route on the first page and it will take you to that page of the pdf file. To continue to follow the route, just click on the end of the route at the edge of the map on each page.

You can also click the "GPS Track" tab and download a gpx file of the route so that you can upload it to a GPS device.

You can do this with any two or more locations in or around Stuttgart. You can choose to take the most direct route or a route that has the least amount of hills. You can choose to mix riding with public transporation and it give you a route from your origin to the nearest Bus/Train stop tell you where to get off of the Bus/Train, then give you a route from there to your final destination.

I've been using this tool for the past few years and it is just one of the many things that I'm going to miss about being in Germany once I come back to the states.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    too much work...next!!!
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

weirdo
    As much as I don`t like to agree with Nuck C, I agree with Nuck C.

Hey, Solomon- before you leave you ought to post a photolog your commute. And do you know where you`re heading next? It seems to me they never used to cut any orders until a month or two before a transfer, but it`s been a long time and maybe that`s changed.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I understand if you think it too much work, but it's a pretty cool tool. I'm transferring to Tampa, FL in September. I got my orders last month although I knew that I was going to be going to Tampa for the past couple of months, so I guess that they are beginning to get a little better about cutting orders.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Interesting to see someone that rides near where I did years ago. Loved riding in Germany.

I rode predominantly all over the eastern/southeastern side of Stuttgart on a Peugeot Hybrid. Ever stop by Unkel Otto? I was stationed at Nellingen Kas '89-'91. When XII Corp moved I ended up in the farmer fields east of Nurnburg at a speck of an airfield.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If we are talking about the same Nellingen, I've ridden through there a bunch of times.. I usually ride through there on my way to the big sports store in Plochingen. Next month, I'm going ot ride from Stuttgart to Heidelberg. I'm trying to get as many good/long rides in before I end up leaving.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Should be the same Nellingen. Basically across the river from Esslingen. I heard they closed up the kasern in Nellingen so I'm sure it's very different now than it was back then. Either way great area for riding.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6
    I heard they closed up the kasern in Nellingen so I'm sure it's very different now than it was back then.
    From what I`ve heard, a ton of kaserns have been eliminated. Not many US and Canadian troops left? I was up farther north than you guys- Darmstadt, near Frankfurt. Had a lot of fun.
    Recalculating....

jrm
    mtbr member

The google bike mapping

app is nice be/c you can alter the route around. i use my iphone GPS to map my bike routes too. ahhhh technology

Bedwards Of The West
    My GPS freaked out the other day... that or I was abducted. In the middle of my ride I apparently took a 967mph side trip in a straight line to the center of Lake Tahoe (?) and then back to the exact point I was before. Everything else about the ride was accurate (at least from my recollection)... average speed was well above the sound barrier

Technology scares me...I don't want to know where I've been whisked away to anymore.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just to be safe, look for hidden microchips under your skin.

dirtbag

In Schonaich!

Hey, another mtbr'er in Stuttgart.! Yeah the vvs.de bike routing tool is indeed handy around here. I used it to map out a commute route to work, but haven't commuted regularly.

Solomon76, any recommendations for singletrack in the area? I've heard of Bad Wildbad and the Pfalzerwald up north. TIA
    Amolan

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by commo_soulja
    . I've heard of Bad Wildbad and the Pfalzerwald up north. TIA
    I would love riding there just for the names of these locations. Gotta start with Bad Wildbad and then hit Pfalzerwald for some comic relief.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    commo one suggestion would be to check out the weekly volksmarch info. There were tons of routes through the woods for those events. At the very least you could find a good route that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    commo_soulja, I don't really do a lot of actually "Mountain Bike" riding per say. Most of the riding I do is more like Commuting, Trekking, and just exploring new places. I work with a bunch of guys that actually "Mountain Bike" though. There are some good tracks in the LTA across from Panzer Kaserne in Boeblingen. Check out the SLACRs group(Stuttgart Local Area Cycle Riders) in Yahoo Groups.They usually get together every weekend and do different rides.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Members who have read this thread: 0