Off the bike for a bit- Mtbr.com
    No-Brakes Cougar

Bonking ... not feelin' well Off the bike for a bit

I always figured that it would take a tree or an inattentive driver to keep me off the bike for any period of time, but it turned out to be something different entirely. BTW, this might not be the best thread for the squeamish so read on if you dare. A couple of weeks ago I started to develop what I thought were hemorrhoids. I'd had them about ten years ago and they went away fast, so I started treating them the same way. Only, instead of getting better they got worse. Eventually it became too painful to ride a bike and I started to develop some other complications as well. I decided to wait at least for 7 days to see if it went away (as recommended). In the mean time, I even went on a camping trip (bad idea). I finally got into the doctor on day 10, and it wasn't a day too soon. Turns out it was actually an infection that came complete with a MASSIVE abscess (I told you this wasn't for the squeamish). I won't go into details about the lancing and draining of the abscess at this time, but suffice to say I don't ever want to her a woman tell me that a man cannot possibly understand the pain of childbirth again. Things are slowly getting back to normal, but I'm still very sore. The doctor says I can get back on the bike at any time, but I'm just not ready yet. I really miss commuting to work. I really miss mountain biking. Thanks for reading my sob story.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Hope your back in the saddle soon. Here's wishing you a quick and total recovery.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Thanks Fred.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You'll get back soon enough. I had a pilonidal cyst (located on top of my tailbone) about the size of a baseball in 2007.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    What, no pics or YouTube video??? I'm kidding, of course.

Here's to gettin' back in the saddle soon, safely and in good health!
    panem et circenses

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I feel your frustration....

and your pain! I underwent surgery on March 20th to remove my left kidney due to a tumor there on about the size of my fist. After about 4 weeks of Xbox, books, movies, and day time TV, I got the okay for mild activity. So another 4 weeks of walking and other very mild activities and I was okayed to go back to work with very strict limitations and then only part time.

To make a long story short, I'm back to work full time now and can do pretty much anything my body will let me. I'm up to riding to work 2 days a week, but still not hitting dirt yet. I've come a long way, but have a way to go before I'm back to "normal".

Anyway, take your time and give yourself time to heal. I know what you are going trough at least from the pain and frustration stand point. I've even got a nice big scar to prove it!

Here are wishes for a speedy revocery from somebody that knows what it's like.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

weirdo
    Thank you for omitting the pictures, Gary. Anyway, I hope you feel up to rolling again soon.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Thanks again for your kind words and thoughts guys. Sorry, no pics or youtube vids are available. If it's any consolation though, the nurse who was assisting with the procedure told me "I've been around the block a few times but that was the BIGGEST one I've ever seen!" He was also very forthcoming with the dope, which was nice after wards. He was like "I'll get you anything you want! What do you want?" I'm like, I dunno.... a beer?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    the nurse who was assisting with the procedure told me "I've been around the block a few times but that was the BIGGEST one I've ever seen!"....

.... He was also very forthcoming with the dope,
    He? Bummer, dude. Sorry to hear that.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    He? Bummer, dude. Sorry to hear that.
    Heh heh. Well, at least he was hella cool. Another male nurse came in and was all "I empathize with you, I had the same thing happen to me a month ago. But I waited three weeks!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    "I've been around the block a few times but that was the BIGGEST one I've ever seen!"

Thats one for the headstone! Fell better quick.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    feel better faster, your bikes need you.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    man, that really sucks !

hope you get well soon.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I started commuting again this morning and immediately dropped back in the groove! This is what I'd been missing so much. And it looks like it wasn't a day too soon, as the bikes were already accumulating cobwebs (though I do seem to have a lot of spider on my balcony).

Thanks again everyone!

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Good news! Glad you're back.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Bedwards Of The West

Dude. Sorry to hear that and glad you're back in action. I missed this thread since I'm a teacher and haven't been around all summer... but I'm feeling for you. That sounds horrible.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy

Dude. Sorry to hear that and glad you're back in action. I missed this thread since I'm a teacher and haven't been around all summer... but I'm feeling for you. That sounds horrible.
    Thanks CB. Good to have you back!

Members who have read this thread: 0