Odd problem with my road bike commuter- Mtbr.com
    29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Odd problem with my road bike commuter

Guys -- I have an old Giant OCR3 I use to commute to work some times. Lately it seems as though my rear hub or something in the drive-train is slipping every now and then. I can go days without it happening, and sometimes it happens 2 or three times during a half an hour ride.

The chain is fairly new, and only has about 500 miles on it. The cassette looks fine to me without significant ware. Everything is very clean. I attempted to test the rear hub by putting the bike on the repair stand and try to engage each "click" and see if I could make it slip with no luck.

Should I just ignore the problem until it blows up and replace the failed component(s) or do more diagnostics? If more diagnostic work is recommended, what should I do?

since 4/10/2009
    Pull apart the freehub body, clean, lube, reinstall. Does it have the same problem afterward?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Pull apart the freehub body, clean, lube, reinstall. Does it have the same problem afterward?
    I will look up how to do this and take a stab at it. Thanks! Are any special tools needed besides the chain whip and tool to remove the lock ring to gain access to remove my cassette?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I will look up how to do this and take a stab at it. Thanks! Are any special tools needed besides the chain whip and tool to remove the lock ring to gain access to remove my cassette?
    Depends on your hubs. On some hubs, no tools are required once you remove the cassette (like I9, my Hopes, and my wife's DT Swiss - the freehub body just pulls off, albeit with some effort). Some require just a simple cone wrench (like my Shimanos or my Mavics). Some require different, more specialized tools.

Research for your particular hubs. Also make sure you have an appropriate lubricant. Some companies are picky about what you put on the pawls. Others less so. I9 told me that theirs can be run without lube for that matter. I have had good results with Phil's Tenacious Oil on pawls/ratchet mechanisms.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Thanks! Mine is a Shimano of some sort. This will be a weekend project for me in the near future. I appreciate the advice.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I just watched an informative YouTube video that walked me through the steps. I also saw that I can order a new Freebody from Amazon for around $20.00 give or take. It also appears I need one specialized tool that I don't have to remove the inner cone from the freebody.

I will probably order both along with a new chain. I will put the new freebody on my rear wheel along with the new chain and work on rebuilding my old freebody.

If my problem persists, I will look at replacing the cassette, chain rings, BB....

since 4/10/2009
    Shimano likes to use a grease on a lot of their components that gets gummy with age. I usually see the first signs of the gumminess in wintertime, because cold temps increase the tackiness of old grease. I've seen it on shifters as well as rear hubs.

My bet is that the pawls on your ratcheting mechanism are sticking in the "down" position at times. Clean it out and put new lubricant in there, and it should be working well again. Unfortunately, the design of Shimano freehub bodies makes it a little bit more complicated to clean them out because you don't get to access the pawls directly like some other designs.

weirdo
    Good luck with the project, p08575. I`ve never disassembled any as far as the pawls, but I did once swap freehubs (7 to 8+) on a Shimano, and it turned out to be fairly simple. But I don`t remember needing any special tools- seems to me just a big allen on one side and a smaller allen on the other. I don`t know if my memory is wrong or whether they changed their design.
    Recalculating....

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I`ve never disassembled any as far as the pawls
    My Hope and Mavic hubs expose the pawls as soon as you remove the freehub body. My wife's DT Swiss hubs have a pair of spring-loaded toothed rings that are exposed (and can be replaced) when you remove the freehub body. I've seen I9's pulled apart, and they expose the pawls as soon as you remove the freehub body, also.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Good luck with the project, p08575. I`ve never disassembled any as far as the pawls, but I did once swap freehubs (7 to 8+) on a Shimano, and it turned out to be fairly simple. But I don`t remember needing any special tools- seems to me just a big allen on one side and a smaller allen on the other. I don`t know if my memory is wrong or whether they changed their design.
    It looks to me that removal of the freehub body does not require any special tools, but to take it apart, clean and reassemble I will need one tool I don't have.

weirdo
    Ah. I gotcha.
    Recalculating....