NYC: Operation Safe Cycle- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

NYC: Operation Safe Cycle

There are a few articles on this crackdown, but I have to share this one because I grew up on the very street pictured, maybe a 5 minute pedal away.

Will This Year?s ?Operation Safe Cycle? Make Anyone Safer? | Streetsblog New York City

Yes there are cars parked in the bike lane - but I'm like, wow, there is a bike lane there now!

mtbr member

NYC: Operation Safe Cycle

Saw a photo posted on Facebook this morning of several officers standing in the bike lane, forcing cyclists into traffic out of the bike lane. Whether or not they were doing anything official wasn't clear, but I found it rather funny.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Love the link to the cheatsheet of bogus infractions.

Around here it's perfectly legal to ride a bmx or folding bike on the sidewalks, and everytime the police do one of their dumb yearly crackdowns I always wonder if they hand out bogus tickets hoping that no one will notice. But I don't have a bmx or folder to test it out.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Love the link to the cheatsheet of bogus infractions.

Around here it's perfectly legal to ride a bmx or folding bike on the sidewalks, and everytime the police do one of their dumb yearly crackdowns I always wonder if they hand out bogus tickets hoping that no one will notice. But I don't have a bmx or folder to test it out.
    Here, it's perfectly legal to ride any bike on any sidewalk at any time. In fact, some bike paths are indistinguishable from wide sidewalks. The Cultural Trail is just a really big sidewalk. In some areas where there's room, ped traffic and bike traffic separate. In some areas where it's tighter, peds and bikes are mixed together. But the only way you can tell it from other sidewalks downtown is that it has fancy bricks instead of plain concrete.

mtbr member
    ^ I thought I had read that only people less than 12 years of age could ride sidewalks in Indiana. So I looked it up again. Only motorized bicycles are forbidden. So not any bike at any time, Nate.

The wording that I remember on the carrying items has changed, too. They seem to have revised it in 2011? Before it was technically illegal to use hand signals, drink from a water bottle, wipe sweat from your face, or use DT shifters because your hands could not be on the bars as required. Stupidly miswritten rule.

They also extended the 120 seconds red light wait rule from motorcycles to bikes at magnetic loop traffic lights. They put a new left turn arrow at a light I often use and after 120 seconds with no other traffic than me sitting there, I went. I was in the car. Figured they did not have it set correctly yet, as it was brand new. This new law is not listed in the bicycle section.