NYC after Sandy: "Only bicycles seemed to be rolling"- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

NYC after Sandy: "Only bicycles seemed to be rolling"

Fat-tired Roadie
    Funny how that happens. When Seattle got choked up in the last couple snow storms, I found my bike still worked. I was in NYC for one of the transmit strikes, and my bike still worked. Etc.

I'm surprised the Mayor didn't just tell people to stay home for another day. And I'm impressed with the MTA for getting back as much service as they have. Those guys really mean business.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Moderator Moderator
    With Transportation Snarled in Brooklyn, Bicycles Roam Free - NYTimes.com

More Sandy bike coverage. A sous chef at a law firm? You learn something new every day.

Moderator Moderator
    and a video

<iframe width="480" height="373" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" id="nyt_video_player" title="New York Times Video - Embed Player" src="http://graphics8.nytimes.com/bcvideo/1.0/iframe/embed.html?videoId=100000001880180&playerType=embe d"></iframe>

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Funny how that happens. When Seattle got choked up in the last couple snow storms, I found my bike still worked. I was in NYC for one of the transmit strikes, and my bike still worked. Etc.

I'm surprised the Mayor didn't just tell people to stay home for another day. And I'm impressed with the MTA for getting back as much service as they have. Those guys really mean business.
    I was one of the few people who consistently made it to work during the last snowstorm; the only reason I stopped was a state of emergency was declared and I figured that was a good enough reason not to go to work any more! I also work in IT, so I could have just worked remotely, but... those snowmen aren't going to build themselves. Work is 13 miles by car, but 30 miles by bike.

I remember in one of the snowstorms we had in 2009, I rode home via the BGT/SRT trails too, and it took me 2.5 hours to get 30 miles home, 1hr to get to the 405/522 interchange. It took several of my coworkers 6 hours to get home to the Westside, 2 ran out of fuel, and one coworker took 11 hours to get to the 405/522 interchange because they were sending cars down there one at a time so they wouldn't cause too many collisions. When I got home, my girlfriend was standed at work without a change of clothes, so I grabbed a set of clothes, rode down the completely gridlocked or deserted streets (no in-between, everything was one or the other), got to downtown and got back home in the space of 15 minutes. I was probably the fastest moving man in Seattle!

But back to this year's Hurricane Sandy: Getting resources from point A to B in times of emergency is something everyone acknowledges to be a major problem. In this case bikes do make a huge difference.

Btw, the sous chef at a law firm - not too surprising. Lots of places have their own cafeterias and/or restaurants in house for feeding the masses that work there, as well as wining and dining clients, and as such will have executive and sous chefs. We used to have one named Michelle, total hottie who also had a great lineup of food. The executive chef at the new Amazon building in Seattle is a friend of mine who specializes in sushi, great knife skills - especially touching because he's been through a total sh*tstorm with his ex-wife and Amazon has allowed him to get back on his feet.

mtbr member
    Where I am we're pretty isolated from natural disasters of any kind, but we do really get winter.

The snow started about a week ago, and since then all the smalltalk has turned to the roads and the commute. "How was my commute? Uh, I guess it's just like normal but with some snow?" I'm not very interesting.

mtbr member
    removed for excessive bitterness
    Last edited by junior1210; 11-02-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

since 4/10/2009
    well look at that. riding a bike empowers people who live/work in areas devastated by a storm.

mtbr member
    Until the fools who run red lights and such ruin it for the folks who are just trying to get back to normal.
    I hope it lasts a while and maybe clue some people into a different way to get along.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    I hope it lasts a while and maybe clue some people into a different way to get along.
    Nope. Not gonna happen. Too many people are all about "Me, what about me, me ,me ,me"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    And I'm impressed with the MTA for getting back as much service as they have. Those guys really mean business.
    While MTA is to be applauded for offering free bus service in the aftermath of the storm, conditions throughout Manhattan were such that 30 minute journeys turned into 3-4 hour slogs. No thanks. There was a noticeable uptick in bicycling ridership I was surprised not to see more folks out on two wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shortribs_nyc View Post
    While MTA is to be applauded for offering free bus service in the aftermath of the storm, conditions throughout Manhattan were such that 30 minute journeys turned into 3-4 hour slogs. No thanks. There was a noticeable uptick in bicycling ridership I was surprised not to see more folks out on two wheels.
    And given how dark lower Manhattan (still) is it's remarkable there isn't more awareness in terms of headlights, blinkies and the sort.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Hi shortribs, welcome to the commuter forum and glad you're rolling in NYC. Stay safe out there. I wonder how many people were not biking because of lack of elevator service, My Dad still rides some, but being in his 80's is not going to carry his bike up the stairs and doesn't want to leave it outside either..

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Bicycles can help solve a lot of problems.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't usually read my rep, let alone repost neg reps, but this one deserves to be seen.

The transmit strikes were bad but the receive strikes were worse. We get signal. All your bikes are belong to us.

Moderator Moderator
    What planet do you think that transmission is from Andrw?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't know, but I'm concerned that soon all my bass will belong to him too.

mtbr member
    That's probably the guy I hear coming 5 miles away, with the earth shaking thuds.

Moderator Moderator

Members who have read this thread: 0