noob with a for question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

noob with a for question

i have a dawes haymaker 1000 that i bought from bikes direct. i use it as my city bike and it is actually awesome. my friend just gave me a 2011 specialized hardrock that literally has 10 miles on it. the steerer on my dawes is longer than my steerer on my hardrock. the suspension(a capa rst) on my dawes has a lockout, the suspension on my hard rock(suntour xct) does not. what i want to do is, get a rigid fork(surly 1x1) for my dawes, and put the suspension w/lockout from my dawes on the hardrock. good idea?

mtbr member
    As long as they're both 1 1/8" steerer and not tapered (or both tapered), same axle (9mm QR likely) and brakes (disc vs. rim) then it will work. It's a great idea IMO, makes much more sense to have a rigid fork on a bike you're riding around town.

CB of the East
    You might end up needing new headsets for both too. If they are not the same they will need to be removed and re-installed. It might be destructive. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelkyoung View Post
    i have a dawes haymaker 1000 that i bought from bikes direct. i use it as my city bike and it is actually awesome. my friend just gave me a 2011 specialized hardrock that literally has 10 miles on it. the steerer on my dawes is longer than my steerer on my hardrock. the suspension(a capa rst) on my dawes has a lockout, the suspension on my hard rock(suntour xct) does not. what i want to do is, get a rigid fork(surly 1x1) for my dawes, and put the suspension w/lockout from my dawes on the hardrock. good idea?
    Seems fine could get stuck trying to get the crown race off the steers if the headsets need a different race...(thin knife blade and some wiggle time)

Or on the other hand could get stuck try to get the headsets out of the head tubes if you also switch the head sets...

If you have som 3/4 tubing it is easy to make a remover just dial up park tools and take a look at thier tool.

Bedwards Of The West
    Might need some headset spacers also...should be a straightforward job though. Read up on the how-to's on places like the park tools website and dive in....best way to learn. If it won't work, put it all back the way it was with some new grease and call it a learning experience.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)