No Shower at Office- Mtbr.com
    LightJunction.com

No Shower at Office

So here's my dilemma...

I want to bike to work (~16 miles each way), but my office has no shower. There's no strict dress code, but I have to look presentable. I'm assuming I'm not the only one who's run into this issue. Any suggestions?
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Did I catch a niner+?
    Baby wipes work to clean yourself up. I had this same dilemma as a previous job. If your a big time sweater like myself you just need to get there early enough to cool down, I have always found getting my shoes off as soon as I can helps cool me down along with any hat. Right now I have a 16 mile round trip commute and I just take it easy to keep the sweat down, I also put everything in a pannier so my back won't sweat.

If you have a locker/desk I would try and keep some stuff there like deodorant, wipes, etc.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wash cloth in sink, soap down, wash off, towel off. Wet/ baby wipes. I drive monday am with changes of fresh clothes, friday pm dirty clothes. Body spray is your friend. Look for a gym/ YMCA/ fitness clubs nearby, some have a shower use rate.

LightJunction.com
    I've looked for a local gym/YMCA, but there isn't one within a few miles. The wash cloth idea seems decent. And driving clothes in a head of time would be easy. I'm not expecting to ride in every day, but it would be nice to be able to ride at least once or twice a week.
    www.LightJunction.com

Moderator Moderator
    I lost my shower when our office moved, & so far (fall/winter) it has been OK. Luckily there is a private bathroom. I keep a small travel kit with soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. at work. I use cetaphil cleanser (less sudsy & rinsing is supposedly optional) & a washcloth. I use a small non-cotton towel (microfiber, walmart has them in the yoga & car buffing aisles) which dries a lot quicker so it doesn't get funky. I hang them on the side of a bookcase to dry & bring them home for laundering as needed. I keep most clothes & shoes at work and bring sox/underwear back and forth daily, don't want anyone having to find those should I get run over or something. I also keep a warm jacket & steel-toed boots at work for unplanned fieldwork.

mtbr member
    I usually just give myself enough time so I can go really slow for the last mile to allow myself to stop sweating and the rest of the sweat to evaporate. Wash up in the sink as needed and change clothes. If you take a shower before the ride, there shouldn't be enough bacteria around to stink you up from a ride of that length. Give it a try and you'll figure out a routine.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

Did I catch a niner+?
    I would also just stick to water in the morning until you get to work this will also reduce any stench you may have.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Beer is my spirit animal
    I don't find it difficult at all to ride for an hour and a half and arrive at work ready to go besides a change of clothes, even bundled up in the winter. I am not a big sweater on the bike, though, and don't drink a ton of water in that time period (even less in the cold, maybe 3/4 of one bottle).

Stashing clothes ahead of time and wipes were good suggestions. A fresh set of clothes does wonders.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    “I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Same situation here, no showers at work. My commute takes about 1 hour one way.

Initially I always used baby wipes. These work quite well. However, when taking care of our bed-ridden grandma we found this and I also started using it at work. Almost as good as a shower.

CleanLife Products | No Rinse® Body Care Products

Still want a fat bike....
    I roll with a towel, deodorant, and Gold Bond powder. Seems to do the trick for me. I have some good friends at work who would tell me if I was funky.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Take a shower at home in the a.m., dry off, comb hair etc., when you get in to work. Fresh sweat doesn't really stink... it's when you sweat onto skin that has been unwahsed for more than 24 hours that you start to get problems... Also, make sure your clothes are fresh each time... putting on sweaty-stink clothes, even if YOU are fresh and clean, will transfer the funk to your body afterward.

CB of the East
    I've probably said this in so many forums that people are sick of hearing it. Merino Wool, Merino Wool Merino Wool. You will be totally amazed at how un-smelly you will be at the end of a ride compared to any other riding gear. You can get just about any clothing article including tee shirts. Don't think of wool as being hot and itchy either. A merino wool tee is very cool and soft. The single biggest problem with it is that a tee is about $35. On the plus side, you can wear it several days in a row without washing it, really.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33 View Post
    Take a shower at home in the a.m., dry off, comb hair etc., when you get in to work. Fresh sweat doesn't really stink... it's when you sweat onto skin that has been unwahsed for more than 24 hours that you start to get problems... Also, make sure your clothes are fresh each time... putting on sweaty-stink clothes, even if YOU are fresh and clean, will transfer the funk to your body afterward.
    Good advice. I bet this is part of why I rarely have a funk problem, 'cause I always shower.
    “I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah just shower in the morning, then ride, then change into clean clothes at work and you will most likely be just fine.

mtbr member
    I have a shower now, but my previous employer did not. I'll second the shower before the ride, and give yourself plenty of time to cool off.

LightJunction.com
    Lots of good advice. Thanks! I'll give it a try.
    www.LightJunction.com

Members who have read this thread: 0