No Followup on Filmed 3' Violations in Houston- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

No Followup on Filmed 3' Violations in Houston

...but what I really want to know is how to get sponsored by our local breweries for bikecommuting

Cyclist uses long pole, video camera to remind Houston drivers to stay away - Houston Chronicle

mtbr member
    Interesting. He is a bit shrill as a spokesperson, but I suppose that is what is needed. Changing the tide of a the car culture is no easy task.

mtbr member
    I did the utility marking flag thing with no camera (no 3 foot rule in Indiana, just a "safe distance" which given other state's 3 foot rules would logically be 3 feet but... means no citation unless they run over your foot (that is going to be legendary here) as that would be indisputably an unsafe distance). It worked. My lights seem to work as well. My errand bike with twin ghetto panniers was as effective.

I think the trouble comes from three different driver types. One's who don't have a sense of where the right side of their cars are (missing right mirrors and front fender scrapes are clues). Then there are the one's who judge by your center of mass so they are 2 feet from my shoulder, not three. Then there is the "I'll teach him a lesson" crowd especially among pickup drivers with big mirrors at my head and shoulder height.

I had a discussion with a driver who gave me room until his passenger door was by and I "disappeared" and his rear bumper cleared by 8". Could have slapped the side of his pickup truck's cap. The talk wasn't going well, so I said that apparently we agreed to disagree. Tried to leave him thinking that maybe he had slid over too soon and I wasn't attacking him, just asking for him to be a bit more careful.

People stop thinking when you criticize their actions. The more wrong they are the worse the reaction, it seems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I think the trouble comes from three different driver types. Then there is the "I'll teach him a lesson" crowd especially among pickup drivers with big mirrors at my head and shoulder height.
    I had a run in with one of those in Gig Harbor, WA years ago on a road pedal where we looped through town to see the view of the harbor. The redneck truck dude with the RV mirrors tried to rub his mirrors on me and my brother. He yelled at us too so it seems the move was intentional. I can't remember if he made contact. Shook us up a bit.

Fortunately for my commute, I get to use bike path between towns and not deal with it. (See my bike path thread in the commuter sub forum). I feel for you urban types, particularly those in places like Houston or other "driving" towns as opposed to other towns that are more cycle aware. Good on Houston for trying to get there.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ...but what I really want to know is how to get sponsored by our local breweries for bikecommuting

Cyclist uses long pole, video camera to remind Houston drivers to stay away - Houston Chronicle
    Cycling advocacy needs this guy like a hole in the head.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    looks longer than 3 feet....

I think three feet would be a resonable projection

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    looks longer than 3 feet....I think three feet would be a resonable projection
    I thought he said it sticks out 3 feet from the rear carrier. If so, it isn't three feet from his shoulder. My shoulder without leaning is close enough to a foot from the centerline of my bike. So the flag would be 8-9" less than the required 3 feet. The narrow shoulder and distance to the Explorer says less that 3 feet. The fisheye lens makes the flag essential to the process.