No Bueno- Mtbr.com

Thread: No Bueno

mtbr member
    "...the virus is all part of the plan to take down the cabal, man! The Bushies, and the oBamas. On the reals!" - anonymous

mtbr member
    That's brutal. And the reasoning - it is not illegal for police to operate their computers while driving, and so therefore it is not illegal if they kill someone while operating their computers while driving - seems like someone failed a basic logic course.

And apparently in Quebec city a cruiser hit a salmon cyclist - and then reversed back over him?

Guy Blouin ID'd as cyclist run over by Quebec City police car - Montreal - CBC News

mtbr member
    That's beyond awful. The police seriously look for reasons to make everything the cyclist's fault. I really hope there's a massive lawsuit against the officer and the whole police department involved in this.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Somebody should beat that dude's ass, for real. I would maybe get it if the computer was on so he could see it and say, "oh, I got an e-mail" and then pull over and type an e-mail. Here's the thing, it's not that hard to pull a car over and then get back on the road. I doubt that what he was doing ABSOLUTELY HAD TO BE DONE WHILE DRIVING (sorry for yelling). This isn't some collateral damage BS, this is just ignorant.

And what's with this Quebec thing? Ok, so the dude was going the wrong way down the street, I don't see how that transpires in him getting run over and then backed over again. There is no logical reason for that to happen.

The cops these days...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    That's beyond awful. The police seriously look for reasons to make everything the cyclist's fault. I really hope there's a massive lawsuit against the officer and the whole police department involved in this.
    Except most LEOs are covered by qualified immunity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Except most LEOs are covered by qualified immunity.
    Even if you can prove negligence? I'm not very well versed in law....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Even if you can prove negligence? I'm not very well versed in law....
    Yep. The civil suit can proceed against a gov't entity but not a particular individual working for that gov't.

The best punishment for this cop: permanent bike patrol duty, never allowed to drive a police cruiser again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Yep. The civil suit can proceed against a gov't entity but not a particular individual working for that gov't.
    That's it. It's called "public policy". The laws reflect the desired outcome. Cops can't be good aggressive cops if they can't go at it with all the latest technology at hand and in use. Sure people will die, but that's the price "we all pay" for really 'going after the bad guy'. So I say, "no bueno".
    "...the virus is all part of the plan to take down the cabal, man! The Bushies, and the oBamas. On the reals!" - anonymous

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    That's brutal. And the reasoning - it is not illegal for police to operate their computers while driving, and so therefore it is not illegal if they kill someone while operating their computers while driving - seems like someone failed a basic logic course.
    *** Ad absurdum. It is legal for them to drive, so they can kill anyone while driving their cruiser in duty? If it isn't double jeopardy to appeal that dumb ruling, that would seem to scream for a an appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    And apparently in Quebec city a cruiser hit a salmon cyclist - and then reversed back over him?
    Seems he thought that the best way to extract the rider. That is so moronic, that it would be hard to see how he can explain that idiocy and keep his job. No one driving or riding the wrong way should pay with their lives in an enforcement attempt. He has some explaining to do there too.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    ^ for the Quebec case, eyewitnesses also say that the police tried to arrest the guy after they'd run him over, they disturbed evidence by moving the bike and then replacing it (there's a photo showing that), and they had him up and moving before the ambulance arrived.

Witnesses aren't necessarily reliable, but it will be interesting to see what comes of it.