New work location

Printable View

• 09-17-2014
    cjohnson
    New work location
    I fell into a great bicycle commute. New office is 16 miles away and the bike trail ends in a residential neighborhood 6 blocks from my destination! I can get on the bike trail within a mile of my home by crossing multiple busy intersections, or access the bike trail by riding 2 miles of quiet road.

I was apprehensive about the new work location as my current commute is pretty sweet, a 12 mile mix of residential, bike trail and two short sections of busy roads with ample shoulders.

Other benefits of the new route. It is West of my home, so no more looking into the sun each way, and the prevailing winds will most often be at my back on the way home.

Something else I noticed. The bike trail of my old commute was mostly filled with elderly people walking their dogs, mixed with a few other bike commuters and on nice sunny days recreational riders. The new route is active with many younger, fitness inclined people. Don't know why the difference, but the the difference is very noticeable.

Sure hope they plow the snow off the new trail. <fingers crossed>
    Charlie
  • 09-17-2014
    Rustedthrough
    Sounds like a great ride. There is much to be said for inspirational scenery and dodging joggers instead of codgers. Just be mindful that the younger folks with ear buds are much harder of hearing than the elderly folks with pomeranians.
  • 09-17-2014
    NDD
    ^so much truth
  • 09-18-2014
    cjohnson
    7 Attachment(s)
    photos from my new commute. 16 sweet miles.
  • 09-18-2014
    cjohnson
    2 Attachment(s)
    more photos
  • 09-18-2014
    cjohnson
    5 Attachment(s)
    more
  • 09-18-2014
    mtbxplorer
    Looks nice! What towns do you now commute between?
  • 09-18-2014
    lextek
    Looks great.
  • 09-18-2014
    Rustedthrough
    I am jealous. Do wear your helmet when passing the golf course, please.
  • 09-19-2014
    TenSpeed
    Looks like a great commute. Thanks for sharing the photos.
  • 09-19-2014
    RoyFokker
    I don't get it. How can anyone be jealous of a 16 mile commute. I recently had a short-term 14-16 mile commute and it was pretty unsustainable by bicycle. That is the distance few people will do often by bicycle. Most people aren't and shouldn't be riding over 2 hours everyday, just to commute.
  • 09-19-2014
    jrm
    You might wanna consider alternative routes that arent so secluded for safety and in the event of a breakdown. It's also nice to have some kind of transit near by as well.
  • 09-19-2014
    moefosho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post
    I don't get it. How can anyone be jealous of a 16 mile commute. I recently had a short-term 14-16 mile commute and it was pretty unsustainable by bicycle. That is the distance few people will do often by bicycle. Most people aren't and shouldn't be riding over 2 hours everyday, just to commute.

Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean other people can't. Many people love having long bike commutes. My long commute is what I look forward too each morning and each afternoon when I get off work. It is exercise, relaxing, and beautiful.
  • 09-19-2014
    RoyFokker
    @moefosho:
    The difference between something like a six mile commute or less and a sixteen, is that one person can actually do it everyday and go car-free but for the other guy it is probably not feasible, especially in inclement weather. But whatever this is the internet, where people love to pose. And most people posting here live in a country, the USA, where much the population feels they need an off-road suited SUV, just to urban assault malls and shopping centers. People convince themselves of lots of stupid things for many stupid reasons. In many cases I suspect people are often choosing to chase after a likely few thousand more a year in pay, for a longer commute.
  • 09-19-2014
    moefosho
    How is that not feasible? The average commute time in my state is 25 minutes BY CAR. I ride about 8-10 miles each way to my job and it takes me about 25 minutes depending on the couple lights i have to hit and the route i take. I get a workout, i am not sitting in traffic, and I am already warm if I want to hop on my mountain bike and go for a ride after.

People in the busier areas sit in their cars for an hour+ and then they go the gym afterwards.

It is all about priorities.
  • 09-19-2014
    Carton
    Nice commute, CJohnson, a little people/nature watching usually helps get my mind of things (not to much though, gotta be keep my eyes on the road:))
  • 09-19-2014
    Carton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post

So most people in the US, like those with a spouse (who usually works somewhere else), kids (who go to school and do extracurricular activities), a good job (not that easy to find, especially if you like your job) and a mortgage (perhaps on a house bought when working a different job), should just give up and use something other than their bike if their commute is more than 10 miles? In order to spare themselves from a potentially uncomfortable commute? To give credit where credit is due, that is quite a reasonable and emphatic argument to make. I'd stretch it out the limit somewhat further than 10-15 miles, though, commending those who manager longer bike commutes.
  • 09-19-2014
    BrianMc
    Very nice commute. I am sorry some think it too long. Beats my former 36 mi by car and wife's in opposite direction of 60+ that we had to do for years! I'd much rather ride for an hour than drive for 45 minutes. Any cycling instead of driving is to be applauded, even if we are unwilling or unable to go carless. Cell phones and maybe some walking to a road look like they would bail you out along the way.
  • 09-19-2014
    TenSpeed
    I would love to have a 16 mile commute one way. My current is half that, and I would love to make it longer at least on the ride home.

People - do not take the bait that is being put out there. Ignore him, and the troll will go away.
  • 09-19-2014
    NDD
    ^
    Listen to this man. RoyFukker is getting his kicks. Don't let him.

That's a wicked looking commute. My commutes are between 23 and 30 miles round trip depending on what I do. It's not bad. The idea that commuting on a path where people may not be at certain times of day (well...night) is something to take note of. I crashed the other day and didn't get hurt, but I kinda thought about what would happen if I had been hurt.

Nothing to worry about, just something to think about.
  • 09-19-2014
    cjohnson
    I carry an egg and one match incase I break down in the sticks. Royfokker, keep riding, you'll build up your endurance.
  • 09-19-2014
    Rustedthrough
    cjohnson, where is this? The photos look like you are well south of snow country, if so, well done.

Pickle the egg and you won't need the match anymore.