New self motivation aide for days I may want to drive- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New self motivation aide for days I may want to drive

When there isn't snow or ice on the ground, I average cycling to work over 95 percent of the time. Up until last week, I hadn't driven into work since March 12th (the snow finally cleared up the weekend following the 12th). Last week I decided to drive because it was raining one morning and I didn't feel like getting wet. That whole day I felt like I cheated myself because afterwards I was pretty sure that I could have sucked it up and rode my bike. So I decided to come up with something to help motivate myself to cycle on those days that I would otherwise look for an excuse to drive to work. I bought 5 wood cubes similar to children's alphabet blocks and I bought some vinyl number stickers. I put the numbers 0 through 5 on each side of the two of the blocks, 6 through 9 on the sides of two of the blocks, and 1 through 6 on each side of the final block. I put the blocks on my desk at work to count the consecutive number of days that I've cycled in. With the 5 blocks that I have, I should be able to count up to 699 days although I'm pretty sure that I'll never cycle every workday for over 2 years straight. I'm only on day 6 after driving in last week, but it did rain one morning earlier this week and I told myself that I need to ride in to keep my streak going.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I like it. Because of the length of my commute I can't bike every day (while I might eventually be able to get my legs to the point where they can take it, I just can't afford the time since it is 90 minutes each way).

What I do is log all of my rides with my Garmin and upload to Garmin Connect. When you pull up the calendar view and you see multiple consecutive weeks with rides on Mon, Wed, and Fri, it is a little extra motivation to keep the streak going.

Members who have read this thread: 0