New / Old Commuter- Mtbr.com

May 2009

New / Old Commuter

Hi all,

I'm new here and wanted to post a photo of my 1997 Vintage Trek. I started using it 3 to 4 days a week to commute 4.8 miles each way in Baton Rouge, La. The bike was put up in the storeroom for many years and was really in good shape.

Most of my trip is neighborhoods with a few major roads to cross but I make it to work in 22-25 minutes. I put a lot of work into the old bike and it actually looks like a brand new bike. Had to repack all the bearings, new shifters, new crankset, chain and rear cassette. Added a rack and lights, etc.

Could not figure out how to put the image in this post, but put it in the member gallery.

Safe Travels ...........

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

bi-winning
    Looks pretty good.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

May 2009
    Thanks, It really is a nice old bike. I was looking at a new Cannondale Urban/Cross (Aluminum) and the guys at the bike shops are all telling me that this Trek was made in USA and that the used good Chro Moly in those days. Several shops told me to just upgrade it and I would have a better bike for the purpose. So far, it's been a sweet ride !

Chris

No-Brakes Cougar
    Those old chromo Trek's make great commuters. I ride one myself.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

BIG and Bald
    Sweet ride!!! What kind of mirror is that? (brand)
    "Don't neever gave up..."

May 2009
    Good morning,

The mirror is a Zefal, it has made in france on the back side. I got it from the LBS in Baton Rouge. It really helps to see how much room someone is giving you.

Installation was simple, bop the end of the grip with a plastic mallet, the handlebar cuts the end of the grip. Pull the plug out and shove the mirror in. The mirror has a ball joint with an expanding plug with a bolt. Just position it and tighten. Th mirror even folds up if you bump it or need to get it out of the way to prop the bike up.

BTW, had to replace the back wheel last night. The old freewheel broke and the whole back cluster was wobbling. LBS is on the way home and had an identical Arraya rim with new hub all built up. The original freewheel was not the replacable type. New wheel felt good on the way to work this morning.

Chris

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Nice

Members who have read this thread: 0