New fenders making me rage and keeping me off the bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New fenders making me rage and keeping me off the bike

So I'm doing a mid winter overhaul due to shredding a fender on road debris. So I bought vo metal fenders to hopefully gain some durability. I think my fender eyelets are off because both the old plastic and new metal fenders tweak to the left and are hard to center. Anyone have an idea on the best way to center these bad boys? I'm about to toss the whole thing into the trash it's so frustrating.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I feel your pain, went through something similar when I had my CX bike. I gave up on the whole project, and when I sold the bike, the fenders went right with it. Good luck getting it sorted out.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

I run into two problems with my fenders, the alignment issue and the lack of rigidity in the lower section of the front fender. The Front Fender was reinforced with another loop of wire from the second set of eyelets on my fargo (factory Planet Bike wires routed from the outer mid-fork eyelet and a piece of piano wire run from the inner eyelet to the lower mount point). The alignment issue I work by bending the wires where they form the loop at the eyelet. The Planet bike fender wires had a plastic mounting tab at the base that was cut off to allow the wire bending trick to work.

mtbr member
    Ive always just got them on the bike and bent the stays to get them centered and tyre clearance

Give it death

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Throw us a picture of the fenders. How they mount makes all the difference in how to center them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They're the Velo Orange fenders. I went with then because the plastic sks fenders and tin stays with them bent an tweaked too easily. The VOs are off in the same way as the sks's so I think it's a bike issue. Maybe bending the stays or washers as spacers should help it. I'll post pics tomorrow, too cold to go to the garage tonight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You might also look at letting one stay stick out of the sheet metal clamps farther than the other. When I made up the fenders and stays for mine, I mounted the fenders with the clamp straps loose and moved them around until they were nearly perfectly aligned before tightening the clamps. Then I bent the stays a little to fine tune it.

Best of luck. Pics of the problem and parts will definitely help. If you haven't already, look at Velo Orange's installation instructions and FAQs on the website. They are more detailed and helpful than some. They will dress up the bike when you get them on straight.

mtbr member
    It's possible the fork or fender braze-ons are misaligned. You may have to adjust the stay length at the fender to fine tune alignment. One other possible culprit, if the top mounting bolt (brake bolt or daruma bolt) is over torqued it can twist the whole fender.

When I mount fenders, I attach the top bolt snugly--enough to hold the fender steady. I then adjust the length of the stays and fine tune the alignment. Tighten the stays at the fork eyelets first, the adjust alignment at top of stays, tighten those bolts fully. Lastly, torque down the top mounting bolt (don't over tighten). Keep a close eye on center as you tighten bolts all the way down. To prevent over tightening bolts, use some sort of thread lock. I use a bit of beeswax on the threads instead of a chemical thread lock, as it accomplish the same thing but doesn't have the complications of seized bolts.

Good luck. Patience is everything. When that runs out, you just decide to ride without fenders and deal with wet-butt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Follow rogbie's instructions for mounting--that's generally how I do it in the shop, unless the fenders are made expressly for a specific frame. The SKS style fenders with the stays poking out typically take 30-40 minutes to put on (and I'm working in a nice, heated, well lit area, with a bike stand at the perfect height!), the type like the VO, a bit less.

I have to confess, I'm not nuts about their (VO) design, as it makes adjustments with the wheel on difficult or impossible, so you have to wind up guesstimating or installing and pulling the wheel several times. It does look cleaner after the fact, though, so, point.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    I'm about to toss the whole thing into the trash it's so frustrating.
    Been there did that chucked them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    that's generally how I do it in the shop, unless the fenders are made expressly for a specific frame.
    That was my shop method. Every time I had a fender install, I would shake my head and think: in this town, fenders are useful about 10 days a year; clip-on fenders are brilliant; why don't we sell those?

I saved accessory installs for the end of the shift. They go on much smoother with a beer or two to help the creative process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Any progress? I hate to say it, but if you can't make them work you can always take them to the LBS and let someone else struggle with it.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I did get the to work, fenders are just something I'm bad at. I wouldn't be surprised if the braze ons were tweaked because the both fenders I put on skewed both ways. I just hope the VO's are sturdier than the SKS's they'd get tweaked a lot from use and abuse.

Looks good for now, at least I can ride again.

mtbr member
    I just cannibalized some hardware off my old fenders. I'd post photos of what I had to do to get them to work, but it would make some peoples' heads spin. It was pretty painful to take the cut-off wheel to a beautiful set of Honjo fenders.

Glad you got them on and working. Fenders and racks are the bane of bike mechanics everywhere (but filthy drivetrains remain #1).

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Glad to hear you got it sorted. The steel V.O.s should be durable, but they won't snap back into shape like the better plastics. Enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Fenders can be a PITA, for sure. I've struggled w/ a number of them on my commuter and road bikes. (And MTB's too, for that matter- Mudhugger FTW!)
    Fortunately, my Rove has fender eyelets and the SKS P35's fit fantastically. Even pretty easy to remove!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think the bike is finally ready for prime time again. The last month and a half has sucked, all sorts of things keeping me off the bike. When the bike was in order, the situation necessitated the car. When the bike was F*&#ed up, I could bike to work. Ugh. Bad start to the year, but hopefully I can make up for lost time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The probability of toast landing jelly side- down always depends on the value of the carpet. Groundhog day is a good day to restart the year.

I would love a pic of those shiny fenders after a few rides in the slush and such.