New Crank/Cassette- Mtbr.com

Apr 2008

New Crank/Cassette

I have converted my (12 year) old MTB into a commuter. It has had its better days as I rode the crap outta it when I was in college.
    The crank, cassette, and chain need to be replaced. The chain skips about every 2 crank rotations if I am on the slightest incline. I know I could buy a new bike for what the lbs is telling me I would be out if I replace the crank, cassette and chain. I am going to buy a new bike next summer and I wanna use this one for commuting ONLY.
    What is a good suggestion for the replacement parts? I have one pretty steep incline on my way to the office, the rest is pretty flat. just under 5 miles one way. I want to get components that will last, but that will not be to pricey. I would like to stay around $300 for the crank, cassette and chain combined if that is even possible. The LBS is saying $450.
    What components would you get? That is the main Q.

1996, Gary Fisher Kaitai, 24 speed.

weirdo
    I think the guys at your LBS are smoking crack. I bought a Deore crankset about a year ago for $70 at my LBS and they were much cheaper online. Now it looks like they`ve gone up quite a bit, but still should be under $100 at LBS prices. Chain and cassette shouldn`t be more than $25 each even if you buy straight from the LBS, much less if you get them from Nashbar or Pricepoint. Also, figure on a few Dollars for a bottom bracket (the bearings and spindle for your crank). Is there another LBS around you? If you don`t already have the tools and knowhow to do it yourself, you may as well pay the LBS prices (but not THAT LBS) and have them put it together for you. If you have no tools and plan to do it a few times in the future with the same or another bike, you could buy the needed tools and parts for about what you`d pay to have the shop do it. The only problem is that a lot of the tools are going to be specific to one brand or style and you may need to get different stuff next time. Check with another shop- there`s no reason it should cost $450 to replace a crankset, chain and cassette with decent, durable, "nothing fancy" stuff. In fact, I can`t see it running half that much.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    your lbs is definitely on crack cause I'm doing the same thing your doing with a hone crankset/bb, and a decent sram chain and cassette (can't remember what model both were like 970 or something like that) and I'm paying ~$200 for the whole deal.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you can, just do the chain rings, if you are mainly doing road you can omit the granny ring and then do the chain and cassette. Cost for rings is usually about a buck a tooth (ie $34 for a 34t ring here in Canada).
    But just my 2 cents
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow...for $300, you can get new XT crank/BB, SRAM 990 cassette (top of the line), and a SRAM 991 hollowpin chain (again top of the line)...sounds like you need far less. You should be able to get setup for under 180 in parts and about 50 in labor. 8 speed stuff is even cheaper.

Apr 2008
    There are 2 bike shops that I have talked to and they were both about the same. I have very high quality components on there now because I was MTBing hard when I was in college. But they are very worn now. Both of them said 'to replace what you have now with the same quality'. I think that might be the catch. I will stop at the LBS on my way home from work today and have a more in depth talk with them.

Today is my first bike to work day. I have not drove my truck to work since January, but have been on the bus. The weather finally got good enough for me to ride. Yeah. Add one to the bike commuter tally. It was awesome ride this morning. Just thought I would share...

weirdo
    Good. If it`s high end stuff then your cranks will have replaceable rings, which definitely means you can do it without buying new crankset and BB. Some of the cheapos (like the one I replaced last year with a Deore) are swagged togther one piece throwaway deals. You should be able to replace them yourself with just an Allen wrench. If you replace the cassette, you need a remover that runs about $20. Chain breakers are about $15 and really worth having on hand. I still don`t see how they came up with that estimate- the only thing they mentioned was your drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, depending on the crank, and how many of the chain rings are trashed, it might be worth just replacing rings. I had the same problem but only my middle ring was bad, so rather than buy a new crank I just replaced one ring. My 34T Blackspire Epic ring only cost $17 (cdn at MEC), so they are very reasonably priced.

Also, your BB may be trashed, and if it's a cartridge you will need to replace it, but even at a shop they can be reasonable ($20-30).

Chain - KMC and SRAM make 8-speed chains in the $15-20 range.

Cassette - SRAM 950s can be found for $20-30.

Apr 2008
    You guys are the best. I went back today, and told them exactly what I needed and they set me up for an appointment on Thursday. And yes, they price was better. I went for the low end, just because I plan on buying a new bike next year and this is going to be just a commuter. Thanks for the advice.

Day two commute was just as awesome as the first. Maybe I will sell my truck. Ok, maybe not, but I sure wont need it in the summer.

Members who have read this thread: 0