New to commuting, need advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

New question here. New to commuting, need advice

I've been riding to and from work for a year but so far only when the weather is dry, warm, and not real windy. I want to start riding ALOT more consistently.

My new bike is a 2011 Specialized Tricross Comp

I use Specialized Comp MTB Shoes

I have a this jacket for wind/rain and to be obnoxiously bright so I don't get run over.

I also use some Pearl Izumi gloves, cheap sunglasses, a helmet, and a cheap cannondale under seat bag from Performance. I put my keys, phone, wallet, and cliff bar or 2 in the under seat bag, pockets are empty. I have 2 water bottle holders, one has a water bottle in it and the other has a rolled up work t-shirt and undershirt in it. My ride is about 13 miles each way, almost all of it is road, maybe a mile of bike path.

What else should I look into? I assume fenders would be the next logical step, or a rack (so i can bring a lunch with me, some dry socks if it rains, etc.) any recommendations or tips on what to look far.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    • pump
    • spare innertube
    • tube patch kit
    • tire levers
    • compact folding multitool
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm not worried about road side repair stuff, in the rare instance I've gotten a flat I call work and they come pick me up.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice chaeuffer (sp??) service! Do you have someone that can always take you home too? I wuld consider the spare tube, etc. just to be more independent, if you are willing to learn to use them.

I was going to suggest bike shorts since your ride is pretty long and you only carrry shirts, but maybe VW provides your work uniform and you already wear bike shorts.

Before you know it you will be needing lights again, you might want to start thinking about those.

Fenders are a plus, but trickier to fit them on a road bike, someone will have info on that, but not me.

Swedetarded
    If you can't mount a full fender on that bike, try these......

http://cykloteket.se/ProductDetail.aspx?ArtikelNr=43361

Sorry for the Swedish website. They aren't as awesome as a full fender, but they get the job done.

Rack and pannier vs. backpack....it's personal. I prefer a backpack, I don't like the extra weight on the bike when I explore trails I see on my way home. I use a Vaude Splash.

Are you going to be commuting during winter?

Wanderer
    Heh, I started commuting because my VW started overheating. Its a love/hate relationship with the 1.8T.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    ^^ Nice chaeuffer (sp??) service! Do you have someone that can always take you home too? I wuld consider the spare tube, etc. just to be more independent, if you are willing to learn to use them.

I was going to suggest bike shorts since your ride is pretty long and you only carrry shirts, but maybe VW provides your work uniform and you already wear bike shorts.

Before you know it you will be needing lights again, you might want to start thinking about those.

Fenders are a plus, but trickier to fit them on a road bike, someone will have info on that, but not me.
    My fiance passes my work going home, usually if it starts raining or something I just have her come get me, if i blow a tube on the way in my work is literally 2 miles from a LBS, I stop in and grab one and swap it for the ride home. And yes I have work uniforms, I always wear a moisture wicking shirt and bike shorts for the ride in. I will need a light, I work 10-7 so it's just now staying light enough for my ride home. one of the reasons I bought the Tricross is because its so versatile, it has fender rack attachment points, I've just never used either on any bike so I don't know what to look for

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I hope to eventually commute through winter but first I'm working on commuting in some rain and chilly days. baby steps

mtbr member
    how long is the ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech
    My ride is about 13 miles each way, almost all of it is road, maybe a mile of bike path.
    First post

mtbr member
    in terms of time

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I leave myself an hour, usually takes about 45 minutes on average

mtbr member
    I would get something that gives me more storage space. You can either use a backpack/messenger bag, or panniers on a rack (though Timbuk2 makes a bag that is both a messenger bag AND a pannier).

I ride 23 miles, and used a backpack, which sucked since I have to carry a laptop and clothes, etc. If you're only carrying clothes, a backpack might be ideal - low cost, you don't have a rack on your bike that you have to deal with when you're not commuting on it and it should carry way more than you need to. A pannier is ideal if you find the backpack is causing you pain - the pannier I bought last year for commuting is the single most life-changing thing I've gotten commute-wise. I love it, and I'll never ride with a backpack again.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What about a lock?

I would assume that you probably can take the bike into your work place where it's secure. But what if you have to leave your work place and go to another location . . . on bike?

Whatever you decide, don't skimp on the lock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Crud makes fenders that I've read on-line are very nice. They're worth a look, and I believe they have a US distributor.

Members who have read this thread: 0