New commuter here, advice welcomed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

New commuter here, advice welcomed

Joined the bike commuter crowd about 7 months ago and I'm starting to like it. Almost 6 mile ride each way city riding with the ride home the most physically challenging. Mostly downhill on way in but a nice 302 ft climb home. Started due to knee arthritis, I'm 52 and slightly high blood pressure. Started last July - September then I made the excuse it was too cold. About February I noticed my 50th senior citizen riding on a 25degree day and decided it's not too cold if I'm serious lol. Been back to 3 days a week since and hope to get to 5 by summer weather permitting. I'm riding an old Ross mtn bike on slicks and figure I'll buy something lighter to help me get up to 5 days a week, weather permitting. Flats have been my biggest obstacle lately so I'm gonna try a tire liner before McGuyvering some type of double tire aka tire liner made from an old tire. Wish me luck lol

NDD
    mtbr member
    Welcome, and good luck. I think that if you keep going, your 302 ft over 6 miles will feel downright good. Also, as you keep riding, it'll get easier and easier to put in an extra day, regardless of whether or not you get a new bike. However, all of us around here like to see new bikes, and riding them ain't bad either! Honestly, I think 6 miles is about perfect once you get in the swing of things.

Mostly my advice would be don't get discouraged by idiot/jerk drivers, follow the rules of the road (don't be a jerk biker) even if other cyclists aren't, don't be afraid to make minor violations to traffic rules if it makes you more safe and doesn't impede anyone, and bring extra clothes for work, probably.

Can't help with the tire thing, I've never put a tire inside of a tire, and I think it would be a bad idea, because friction between the tires would wear them down on the inside. Sort of why they have to tell people to not double-sock a condom, they'll just break each other. I think you're better off trying a number of tire liners. Unfortunately, that won't help if you do things like hit large pieces of glass or nails.
    dang

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Knees are feeling much better since i started riding. In the morning I can handle the inclines without shifting and coming home I can actually stand and pedal on the inclines by shifting just 1 gear. The signs of addiction are setting. I got sick 2 weeks ago and missed riding a week. Last Monday as I started back I got a flat on my way in. Nasty hole in my tire so I didn't trust patching and riding. I'm waiting on a new tire as I have a set of Kelly green slicks and had to order a tire off the net. I'm jonsing for a ride at this point lol

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Slime tubes are probably the best bet at this point before you go tubeless. Just make sure to feel the inside of the tire to find the thorn/glass/etc that popped the tire in the first place.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I had the slime tube in but the glass that worked it's way in was too big, I don't even trust the tire due to the size of the hole. I got tire liners for the new tires coming so I'll try that before experimenting with the old tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    What helped me a lot with my fitness (I'm 55) is that now, on my daily commute, every time I get to an uphill section, I get out of the saddle and mash hard. My hills are steep but fairly short--less than 1/4 mile, many just a few hundred feet--so these short max effort sections really get my heart rate up and have increased the power in my legs considerably. I have noticed big improvements in my mt biking power (I stand up more on the uphills etc...) and I feel 15 years younger when I play ultimate frisbee. It make take a while to see the benefits, but the pay off has been huge for me. Try it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Are you a little timid about taking up lane space? There's a lot more debris off towards the edge of the road...plus riding over there tempts drivers behind you to squeeze by even if there's oncoming traffic, which puts you in danger.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Are you a little timid about taking up lane space? There's a lot more debris off towards the edge of the road...plus riding over there tempts drivers behind you to squeeze by even if there's oncoming traffic, which puts you in danger.
    Absolutely, I need to make sure I leave home before the traffic picks up.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojack View Post
    What helped me a lot with my fitness (I'm 55) is that now, on my daily commute, every time I get to an uphill section, I get out of the saddle and mash hard. My hills are steep but fairly short--less than 1/4 mile, many just a few hundred feet--so these short max effort sections really get my heart rate up and have increased the power in my legs considerably. I have noticed big improvements in my mt biking power (I stand up more on the uphills etc...) and I feel 15 years younger when I play ultimate frisbee. It make take a while to see the benefits, but the pay off has been huge for me. Try it!
    Im workinng on it. My knee wouldnt support me out of the saddle until the pst month so progress is surely noted. My goal is the whole ride home without shifting gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18th letter View Post
    Im workinng on it. My knee wouldnt support me out of the saddle until the pst month so progress is surely noted. My goal is the whole ride home without shifting gears.
    Great, when you find that right gear...go single speed! And keep your ride light!

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk