New Commuter Bike - Looking for insight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Commuter Bike - Looking for insight

So, I was out of commuting for a little when I started my new job and I've gotten back into the past several months. I've been using my Specialized Hardrock, however I would like to convert that back into a mountain bike and use it for the occasional weekend ride; while getting a more efficient commuter. Basically I dont want to spend a ton since this will be a 3rd bike (or should I say, my wife wont let me spend a ton b/c this is a 3rd bike). My commute primarily consists of some road, some sidewalk and some dirt. So, I feel the below choices would fill my needs. I'm looking at BD since they seem good for the money. I'm just trying to see which option may be better. I find the semi-upright geometry of the Gravity kind of interesting. I use a rear rack as well as carry a backpack (I'm debating a front fender). Thank you for your time.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Save up to 60% off new Cafe Bikes | Hybrid Bikes Cafe Latte 2012
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got the Gravity Liberty CXD, as it is a little better suited to rough city riding and dirt, only $100 more than the Liberty 2, and has disc brakes and a carbon fork. It will make mounting a rack/fenders a little more difficult, but do-able still. I put fenders on mine already, will do a rack eventually.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Liberty. Hybrids suck. For everything. Looks like the Liberty will accept a rear rack, front and rear fenders, and maybe a front rack without a lot of fuss.

Do you know your top tube length on road bikes?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0