New Commuter Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New Commuter Bike

I recently started commuting to work and I am loving it. I am currently riding my Redline Monocog Flight set up 3x9 with 700x35 slicks. It does the job, but I am carrying everything on my back and had to add a cage to my seatpost to carry another bottle. I am currently looking at getting a new bike that can accept a rack, fenders, is steal and has disc brakes. I think that I have narrowed down my choices to a Salsa Vaya and a Raleigh Roper. Both a extremely hard to find. One LBS can't find the Vaya at all and the other LBS found one Roper, but they say for the deal they are going to give me and that bike not being a popular sell locally, they can't order it for me to test it before I buy. They did let me test a carbon road bike with similar geometry, but still not the same. Does anyone have experience with either of these two bikes? is the Vaya worth $400 +/- more than the Roper.

Teen Wolf
    i considered a vaya, but ended up with a furley (the ropers singlespeed brother)... in the end it came down to it being a commuter that i'd beat on, so the price was a big factor. if i was going to get a salsa i'd probably spend more on getting it setup real sweet and spend more than i'd spend on a commuter....

as a commuter i love my furley, it's great. once i got the brakes setup right, everything has been super. love the bike, it's a blast to ride everywhere on anything.

mtbr member
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I have ridden a 2011 Vaya, and a 2012 Roper. Both handle like a regular CX bike will. I had just ridden a Fargo so i felt like the Vaya was much more twitchy, but overall it handled very well, especially at low speeds. I feel like they're very comparable bikes, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Vaya all the way. The Roper at the shop weighed in at 28.3 lbs, which is quite heavy. I have another post somewhere on mtbr with my feedback on the Roper, overall that it's not a bad build but the weight lets it down. The Vaya I rode was, as mentioned, a 2011, so the brakes had been worn in. That particular shop had a reputation for selling non-standard builds, so it was a slightly upgraded model in terms of shifting, but the frame itself felt pretty good.

I also test rode the Furly, and agree with cr45h. I was not gentle on the test rides. It's a fun bike to ride. But again, the stock build was 25 lbs from the shop, so on the heavy side (my Traitor Crusade SSCX is 19.1 lbs with pedals)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks guys. I really like the Vaya, but can't seem to find one and I don't want to wait to long to get one and not like and miss out on the Roper. I am not really worried about the Vaya being too nice of a bike, cause I take my bike in to work. This will be my first road/CX so I am not used to a drop bar bike and I am thinking the Vaya might be a better fit being a more upright position vs. a traditional CX bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0