new commuter which bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

new commuter which bike

i was looking to start ridding to work i am looking at the specialized sirrus but was wondering how this bike would fare on say a mup (multi use path) type surface or light offroad trails.i am looking at getting some small block 8 tires or something along those lines. i was also looking at the cannondale cx 700 which i believe comes with the smblock 8 tires already.i am trying to stay around the 400-600 price range so any advice on these models or something along these lines would be appreciated.my commute to work is only about 2 miles each way but i plan on using this bike for all my around town runs so it could be as much as 20miles each way or there about.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'd lean towards the Cannondale in this case. It looks as though it has more tire clearance & versatility overall.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Does it get wet where you live? For how long?

Fat-tired Roadie
    With a rigid fork, plain seat post, and a better saddle, your Navigator would do the job fine. I don't think another flat-handlebar pavement-going bike would really be different enough (for me) to justify spending money on it.

I don't like to spend more than a day's pay on my commuters. Do you have a safe place to keep it? Do you see using it to do stuff like go to the movies, or other errands requiring you to leave it locked up for a while?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    i was going to use the trek but my daughter has decided to use it that is why i was looking for another bike, this is a pic of the trail i would have to ride 1/2 of it is crushed granit and the other 1/2 is concrete it is 13.5 miles total round trip so i would say my onroad to offroad ratio would be about 80% to 20%.i was looking at the sirrus because i wanted something lighter and with more of a road gearing so i could be a little faster.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Fat-tired Roadie
    Try them both and get the one that fits you best. The road-going hybrid seems to have become a popular model with bike companies, although since "hybrid" is a dirty word they use different names; there should be many that fit you.

I think if I had to do half my ride on gravel, I'd probably want to do it on a rigid mountain bike. I've actually been thinking about that lately - I want to add yet another bike to my collection for riding pavement and fire roads. Seems to me that fat tires with a low knob, or even a semislick would be the way to go. With that surface, it's all about width... I'd be curious about the Kenda Happy Medium, Hutchinson Piranha, Hutchinson Cobra, Panaracer Razer, Panaracer Mach... Semislicks corner a little funny on pavement, but if the pressure's right and the side knobs are well-supported, I think it's worth it for the much better traction on gravel.

The gearing won't effect you much unless you're actually running out of gears, unless you're riding close enough to redline to be sensitive to the size of the jump between gears. Then a road cassette is nice.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    I think that trail looks great for any cyclocroish bike...what about umarth question? check your need for fenders.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't kick either one out of my garage but tire size and fender room, would be issues. The CX700 mentioned discs on Cannondale site (below the pic without discs?). For winter here, I'd like discs shelling out that kind of money. You only need to satisfy you. If you can ride them to compare that would be ideal. Good luck. It is more a case of choosing very, very, good for you and excellent for you. Nice place to be.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Given what I've read about your commute and the bike presented, I'd get the cannondale. I really don't think you are going to notice a huge drop off in speed. Considering that both bikes would handle the commute best with a larger tire with a few knobs. The Cannondale has the necessary clearance for a wider selection of tires and fenders.

jrm
    mtbr member

The Sirrus

is a pretty capable bike. i had burlier 30c tires on mine and used it on gravel trails. A CX bike is going to be more road to trail worthy overall. If your looking for the best of both worlds id go with a CX bike that you could set up with a drop or flat bar, room for larger tires, trail worthy geometry and that has eyelets for fenders and racks.

mtbr member
    thanks for all the opinions and advice i went to look at the cannondale but they were out of stock and they didnt seem real interested in ordering one in just for me to try it.so i went to my usuall bike shop that sold me my 2 other mountain bikes.he didnt have a small frame sirrus for me to ride so he put one togather while i waited so i could ride it. i thought i was going to buy it but i had him order me a sirrus that had some different parts and was an 8 speed instead of 7.i sure felt bad making him do that work for nothing but he said he didnt mind at all, really great service in my opinion.will post pics when i get it all ready for the commute. thanks again guys your help is really appreciated
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you ordered the bike, you hardly made him do work for nothing.

Hope it works out for you. I think my girlfriend's dad rides one to work; whatever bike it is, he likes it.

Members who have read this thread: 0