New bike day, part 2!- Mtbr.com
    I'd rather be on my bike

New bike day, part 2!

2009 Jamis Sonik 58cm. I hit you all with the picture first because it is absolutely beautiful in person. This picture sucks, so excuse the quality and background. Was way too excited to not post it after unboxing it and pretty much assembling it tonight after I got home from work. Purchased on eBay on Saturday, arrived at my place today. Never in the history of purchasing on eBay have I ever had anything ship that quickly. It was ready to go, packaged up by a bike shop. I paid within 5 minutes of winning the auction. The seller messaged me Monday that it had shipped and should be to me by Tuesday. Coming from Illinois I knew it would be pretty quick, but that was unreal.

Want details?

American Classic 420 Aero track wheels with bladed spokes (stock)
    FSA carbon pro track crank (stock)
    Aero carbon seatpost (stock)
    Deda stem (stock)
    Zipp Service Course bars (aftermarket)
    Cane Creek headset (stock)
    Selle San Marco Ponza saddle (stock)

I need to put the pedals on, tape the bars and swap the tires out. 700x20 just will not cut it. Will probably get another set of Gatorskins for this because I do want to ride it on the road. Will it be a commuter for me? Probably not, but I will ride it to work at least once. This will be more of my Friday night group ride bike I think. It is drilled for both a front and rear brake, but the rear doesn't have anything for the cable to mount to so the front brake will have to do. It isn't practical either, because there is no way you can mount a regular light to the aero seatpost. It is very light though and that makes me very happy. My Felt is about 18.5 and this will be about 17.5 or so when everything is on there. Still deciding what route to go with the tape, and will more than likely run the drop bars. Thought about red and white custom but I don't want it to look like a candy cane. Maybe black and red? Speaking of black tape, the tape you see on the top tube was put there over frame protectors to prevent the bars from scratching the frame up put on by the previous owner. Never thought about doing that before, so that may stay. The gearing is 49:15 and the seller even included a Surly 14t ring for it as well. Very happy so far with this purchase and am pretty excited to get it dialed in.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Ooooo! Ahhhh! That's a pretty bike! I agree with you re: the bar tape. Black/red would look nice, but probably not white/red.

Congrats!

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am heading into my buddies shop tomorrow for a few things. Tire swap to the Vittoria Rubinos that came on the Felt instead of the Gatorskins for now (will probably get those for next year), a front brake, wiring, and a nice lever. He is also going to do the tape job on the bars. I have never watched someone do it in person, and he says that he can do a factory job on them so why not? Plus I get to hang out in the shop with guys who love bikes. This shop is great because it is kind of an open concept where the mechanics don't technically work in the back. You can stand right there and watch them do the work. The best part about it is that the third Park Tool stand they have, in the third work bay, that is for the customers. You can bring your bike in, do what you need, and use their tools at no charge. The area is set up with all the Park tools that you would need to build a bike. Everything is there, including being able to ask the mechanics questions. They will show you what you need to do, but you actually do it. Never been in a shop or even heard of one doing this before. It really is a nice concept and execution and it has drawn them quite a bit of business from it.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Awww
    Don't shame that bike by installing a brake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sweet. Congrats on the new bike.

I have to admit, I may be more jealous of your shop than the bike itself.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Awww
    Don't shame that bike by installing a brake.
    I am far too new on a fixed gear to not have a brake on it. I have not begun to master any type of stopping that I am comfortable enough to use in place of an actual brake. I don't want to put it on there, but I think that it has to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Sweet. Congrats on the new bike.

I have to admit, I may be more jealous of your shop than the bike itself.
    I will take some pictures and post them for people to see. The front of the shop is much nicer than the back that is for sure. They sell Cervelo and Norco and have all types of bikes from entry level to TT to cruisers. For a small shop, it is pretty amazing what they have in there, and the quality of items.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I don't want to put it on there, but I think that it has to be done.
    Agree 100%. If you're commuting with it, even more so. Stay alive out there.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Less than 24 hours after riding it, the drop bars are already off. Fyxation bullhorns are installed for now. Had to swap to a 25.4 stem that is uglier than sin to make the bars work. Brake lever is for a 31.8 bar so it is jerry rigged well enough on there with some spacers until I can find a set of 31.8 bullhorns that will work. The drops look really nice, but for the life of me I cannot find a comfortable riding position with this specific set of bars. Drops are not that comfortable for a longer ride, and the tops just feel weird, like there is not enough room for my hands towards the outside of the bar where I normally ride. Also taking off from a stop there is no good hand placement for cranking the pedals without feeling like I will lose my balance. Today will be the test to see how the bullhorns are when I commute to work in a little bit.

NDD
    mtbr member
    That's a pretty sweet bike. I didn't see it, so sorry if this question had already been answered, but did you get rid of the fat bike?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks! No, I still have the fat bike, so this makes 3 bikes now. N+1 is always the number of bikes you are supposed to have, with N being the current number right?

NDD
    mtbr member
    You're exactly right. I've got the old reliable steel road bike and the 29er. Now what do I need next? I'd say single speed but I'm probably going to convert the road bike to single speed. I kinda want a cyclocross rig, but I could easily convert the road bike to a single speed cyclocross bike... but that might be overdoing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    NDD, you just might need a cyclocross rig, for those days when the 29 isn't quite right and the road bike isn't ready for storm damaged paths etc.

TenSpeed, any updates on the handlebar modifications?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Bars were cut at a local shop. They are small, almost too small. Test rode it sans tape to see if it is even worth it to tape them. I just cannot decide. Found a nice 31.8 bullhorn that will work but the bike spending money has been halted indefinitely by me. Buying 3 bikes in 5 months is a bit much, even if I did manage to sell 2 that I had at a loss to help fund it.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Bars now taped by me which makes my third time. The first side is always the better side. Trying to replicate that on the flip side is just about damn impossible at least for me. At one point, I had it, and then realized that there was a gap in the tape on the bottom part of the bend of the bullhorn. Was pretty bummed because it was looking good. I opted for Lizard Skin tape as I had not used that before. It is pretty nice and offers some decent hand padding that my other tape needed gel inserts for. My buddy at the shop originally wrapped the drops and they were near perfect. Mine pales in comparison but will work. With the end caps in you barely notice that the shop cut the bars unevenly, well, the ends are not evenly angled and this helps eliminate that but they are of equal (ish) length.

Stem is too long I think as I am pretty stretched out on it. Took some measurements vs. the Felt to be sure and I am right. Hard to figure out what I need to do. Felt has a 15 degree 90mm stem. I want a bit more of an aggressive feel on the Jamis, and that has a 6 degree 120mm stem I believe it is. Stem is currently flipped as that is the way it came on the bike. If I flip it, the lettering will be upside down and I think the geometry will throw everything off. I am about 1 and 1/2 inches too long and not sure what will fix that. 100mm? 90mm? Would like to keep the factory appearing stem if possible as it is really light and call me vain, but it looks really good on there.

So the test ride up and down the straight road outside my apartment....the bike just flies. It feels so much lighter and faster than the Felt. I think the handlebar will work once I get the stem issue figured out. Hand position is just enough that it fits and I can just stand on the pedals and crank.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I'd say getting a shorter stem would probably fix your problem, there. I also don't think flipping the stem would do anything bad, though. To me it seems like the only difference between stems advertised as +/- or a riser stem is the printing on the outside other than that, it's a piece of metal with a hole in it. I'm no expert, but I have upside down lettering on my mtb stem and it handles fine.

It seems like one would want a somewhat shorter stem with bullhorn bars anyway. Never used them, but out seems like just the shape of them would stretch you out.

I'd rather be on my bike
    For the most part, I stay on the middle part of the bar, equivalent to road bars, near the stem. I alternate to the curved part of the horns for accelerating or climbing or just to quickly change hand positions. The outermost part of the horn is only for going fast, much like the drops are on a standard road bike. It really only stretches you out if you go to the ends, like it would lower you in the drops. Bullhorns were the dumbest idea I had ever seen, until I tried them. Now they are the only bar that I like.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I never thought was all that bad an idea. I've just never had a reason to have a bike with bullhorns. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend's stepmother has a bike she uses for triathlons that has drops and bullhorns. Hand positions are cool.

Just how if I had shorter handlebars on the mtb I'd probably use bar ends. But my bars are too wide

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Post a pic of how it's set-up now.
    That first pic has the bars really high.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Set up the exact same way just with bullhorns. No spacers removed and the stem is exactly like it is in the picture. Even though this is a track bike, I cannot ride it slammed because of my back. My Felt is set up identical to this and has a rise on the stem.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Happy medium for me so far is a 110 x 90 31.8 easton stem and a 680mm niner flat bar w / oury grips. problem i had was getting the bar height right. Im using about 20mm of spacers under the stem and the bar is about 1/2" below the seat. Oh frames a 4th gen on one pompino. Yeah it looks weird but now its comfortable enough to ride longer than 10 miles. Topped it off with a front mini rack and a basket.