New Bike Day!!!!- Mtbr.com
    I'd rather be on my bike

New Bike Day!!!!

I recently sold my 56cm Specialized TriCross Sport Compact Disc CX bike because I just was not riding it enough. I liked that bike, but between the low end drivetrain and finicky Avid BB7 brakes, the time came to move on. I have always been fascinated with single speeds and fixed gear bikes. After the BigShot was purchased, the bug bit me. Testing the waters with the BigShot, I went full on fixed and commuted to work. Threw a rear brake on there, and called it good. The bike didn't really fit me though, way too small at a mere 56cm. That is what you get when you order online, and try to compare specs with your current bike, and overlook small things. My friend saw me the other night riding home, and he shot me a text saying that I looked like a giant riding that bike. Luckily the order for the new bike had already been placed, and I was just waiting for the call from the shop, which came yesterday. I quickly pulled the bar/stem off of the BigShot, and headed over to the shop. It is absolutely beautiful, and it fits. I took in the specs from the BigShot, so that I didn't make the same mistake twice. I tried a 56cm and a 58cm road bike and the owner pushed me to the 58, and we ordered it since they did not carry this in stock. It felt a little bit big, but that is probably because I am used to the smaller 56cm bike I have been riding. Got it home, and of course, it is pouring rain, so there was to be no test ride. Not in the rain, with a brand new bike. So the tweaking starts. Adjusting the saddle height, reinstalling the front wheel from the car ride home, peeling the several warning stickers off, and the constant staring I did just looking at the lines of it, and admiring it from all over the room.

2013 Felt TK3 fixed gear track bike. After searching online, and reading reviews, there have been a few people that have used this bike for everything other than the velodrome. One guy was using it as his daily commuter, and had done so for 7 months with zero issues. Felt has a pretty good reputation, and a few of my MTB friends ride Felt, so I considered it as an option. Then the online shopping started. Tried to find the best equipped bike that would fit, for the cheapest amount of money possible. Building one became an option, but then there is the piecing together parts and waiting, and then having a shop build it since I don't know how. I had my eye on a Specialized S-Works Langster frame on eBay that was brand new, but the fork and rear bridge were not drilled for a brake since it is a true track bike. The frame was bright red, and there was no way that I would swap that fork out, even for my carbon Easton. So I passed. And I kept passing on everything I saw, until I came across the Felt. So at the shop, the owner and I are discussing size, color, usage, measurements taken, comfort discussed, and then the phone calls started. He wanted to ensure that the 2014 model was at least drilled for a front brake, and that the wheel had a brake track. There was some confusion, so more calls were made while I browsed the store. Finally, he got answers, directly from the engineers at Felt. Guaranteed that the 2013 model was drilled, and the wheel had a brake track. And it was in stock at the warehouse. And the only size left was a 58cm. He pulls it up on the computer, and it is beautiful. The 2014 is a matte black with white graphics that looked OK. When I saw this one, I fell in love. The color is really a grayish silver with a hint of light blue in there. So I ordered that one. Then I find out that it is $100 less for the 2013, which is equipped exactly as the 2014. They changed the color, that is about it. Let's just say that I was OK with that.

Picked up an SKS Xtra Dry 3 rear fender, and some Exustar E-PM211 SPD compatible pedals. He recommended them as they are lighter than the standard Shimano M520's that I was going to put on. Stopped at my buddies shop on the way home and picked up a Shimano Sora BR3500 front brake to assist when needed. Well, as much as I tried last night to get that brake dialed in, I failed. No worries, took the bike on its maiden voyage this morning down to the shop for my buddy to install the brake and check the bike out since he rides fixed all the time. Got the nod of approval from him after a quick test ride.

My review is that so far, it is stiff, light, and fast! 48:15 gearing makes it a bit difficult to get started off a dead stop, but once I am going, I am going!! The bike feels big, but not too big, just bigger than what I am used to. The bike came with a 31.8 stem and massive drop bars for the track. They swapped my bullhorns and 25.4 KORE stem over for now until I figure out another option. Looking to maybe go Thomson stem and seatpost if I can find them cheap enough. The pedals are really nice and have an adjustable release. I think that so far, I like them more than my M520's. So far, the saddle is nice enough. The Specialized Avatar I have may make its way on there at some point, but for now I will try the stock one.

So sorry for the long rambling story, but holy hell I am pretty excited. It rained all day yesterday, but today it is beautiful and sunny out, and dry. I have to work at 3PM, so I will be riding it in to work today. Looking forward to the ride, and then the ride home. Might make a longer trip out of it tonight and see how it really feels.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Very nice. How about a closeup shot of the seattube/seaseatstays - that looks crazy.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I will get some more pictures of it, specifically those, that are a higher quality. This phone is finicky when it comes to pictures. Snapped that one in the hallway outside my apartment when I got home.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I love the simpleness of single speeds. Agreed with newfangled on needing more photos.

I am still admiring and staring at my new bike and it's been three weeks since I brought her home. When does that phase end?

Moderator Moderator
    Congratulations! Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Awesome! I love the simpleness of single speeds. Agreed with newfangled on needing more photos.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    I am still admiring and staring at my new bike and it's been three weeks since I brought her home. When does that phase end?
    I'll let you know. Thirty three years or two years from a restoration, I still like to look at The Duchess. So it is my desktop picture.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Took the long way home from work and found a decent spot for a few photos to showcase my night mode.

And the seattube which is tapered so you can only insert the post so far.

And the welds:

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics. That sharkfin seattube is definitely crazy. Is your rearwheel pretty much all the way forward in the dropouts? I'm just curious how much clearance they've built in there between the fin and the tire.

I'd rather be on my bike
    It is pretty much all the way forward. The chain will stretch some and I will have to move it back a little eventually. Just went and looked at the dropouts, and the wheel still has some room to move forward which would put it really close to the fin. Most of the track bikes have this type of fin for aerodynamics on the track. It must help the air diffuse around the rear wheel.

I got the seatpost cleaned up and used Park Tool Polylube 1000 to grease it. I have had a really good experience with this stuff. Post was creaking like crazy last night on the ride home but that was probably my fault as I had taken the post out to transport it home and wrapped it in a towel, so most of it came off.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Well, it has been almost 4 months since getting this bike. I love it more now than when I got it and posted here.

Oh yeah. Stay tuned for part 2.