New All-Rounder/Commuter- Mtbr.com
    Resident Texican

New All-Rounder/Commuter

For those who don't follow the "How was your commute" thread, on Monday morning I was hit by a fellow student while on campus at UTSA. As a result of this I am now in the market for a new commuter and all-purpose enjoyment bike.

At this point I know pretty much what I'm looking for in the bike, I just am trying to compare the geometries of the few that I'm considering. The three front-runners are the All City Macho Man Disc, Salsa Vaya 3, and Salsa Fargo 3. It seems that All City and Salsa size their bikes by using seat tube length and ETT, respectively. So, that means that 54cm Vaya is about the same size as a Small Fargo and same thing with the 49cm Macho Man.

What I need is a bike with approximately 54cm ETT and able to be set up with a saddle to bottom bracket length of about 73cm. Does my comparison of these three bikes make sense?
    [email protected]%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    I don't know nuthin' bout measurin' no bikes, Miss Scarlett!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New All-Rounder/Commuter

Those are all within the realm of 'small', depending on the type of bikes they are. A 54 is closer to a medium, and a 49 is closer to an XS, but again, I'd impress that these manufacturers do funky things with sizing, sometimes. Best bet is to throw a leg over it to find out.

As far as other things to consider, what do you want? Drops? Flat bar? Single speed?

mtbr member
    I am about 5' 8 1/2" and I ride a 54cm Vaya. I think a 55 would fit me too.

Consider that the Fargo is essentially a drop-bar mountain bike and the Vaya is a touring/ gravel bike. How much actual dirt do you plan to ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Recently test rode a Vaya and a Kona Rove. I bought the Rove because it felt way snappier than the Vaya. ETT and ST similar to the Vaya.

My usage is 90% commuting (mostly paved), 7% d!cking around on gravel or trails, 3% touring if I get permission.

I'm happy with it for whatever that's worth.

Resident Texican
    The issue with trying them out is that there are no shops in my city that carry either brand.

@mack_turtle if you are that height and ride a 54cm Vaya then I think either the 49cm or 52cm Macho Man should work just fine for me. The 49cm is nearly identical to your Vaya.

@wschruba I'm trying to replace my commuter, which was a Novara Buzz that I had converted to drop bars. After having that bike set up with drop bars for about the last month and a half I'm pretty sure that a drop bar cyclocross bike would work very well for the riding I do. I'm also looking for a geared bike, and I would like to stick with a steel frame.

I think the Fargo is a bit more dirt oriented that what I want. Mainly I threw that into the mix just for size comparisons. I sent an e-mail to the people at All City Cycles and will hopefully see what they have to say come tomorrow.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Is the Novara Buzz still available? Why not go with what you know and like?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have got to ask the stupid question. Are the measurements you are after ones from the Buzz you switched over to drop Bar? Or are they drop bar specific frame measurements?

Resident Texican
    I'm looking for a drop bar specific frame. @TenSpeed, the reason why I don't want to go with another buzz is because I really like the drop bars, and I don't want to go through the effort of stripping the frame and changing out the drive-train again.

since 4/10/2009
    I ride medium mtb's and also ride a 54cm Vaya.

Resident Texican
    Thanks, Harold. I too ride mediums and I figured the 54cm Vaya would be the right size for me. But, I actually was able to find a really good deal on last year's Raleigh Tamland 1 so I pulled the trigger on that. The bike shop is getting it shipped in, and luckily if I don't like it after the test ride there is no penalty to me if I don't want it. I really hope this bike fits well, because if it doesn't then I have no idea what direction I'm going to take.

mtbr Decade+
    If you have a Surly dealer around wouldn't a Cross-Check or Straggler fit your needs?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    I was about to buy a Tamland before I found a better deal on a Vaya. good choice.

Resident Texican

Some pics of my old bike

I figured that I would include some pictures of my old bike to show what happened to it. I should be able to salvage the derailleurs and possibly the brifters, but with the force applied to everything else I don't trust the BB, hubs, headset, etc. It can't be seen in these two pics, but the entire frame is slightly warped.

mtbr member
    That can be buffed out.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    the person who hit you is buying you a REALLY nice bike to replace that, right?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    That can be buffed out.

Sorry, Texico, that is terrible!

mtbr member
    That bent crank is amazing. I would never have expected that to happen so nicely.

mtbr Decade+
    I agree with the displaced Texan, a couple of clydes could bend that back to square.

Amen, lucky you are in one piece!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Resident Texican
    @newfangled I know, what happened to the crank is pretty crazy. My tech was surprised that it didn't just snap off.

And I agree that I am very lucky to have no serious injuries.

I'd rather be on my bike
    The lack of your injuries is what I am more intrigued about. With that crank arm bent like that, how in the heck do you even still have both legs?
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Interesting that the fork was bent to the right. If your weight was planting the tire the fork should be bent the other way. So that and having your left leg intact, suggests you dismounted to some degree. A bumper immanent on collision can incite a person to action!

It doesn't take much to total a bike. I could salvage the hubs (Campagnolo Records), the crankset, the handlebar and stem, the rear calliper, and the saddle and seat post and rear reflector.

Resident Texican

The New Bike, Set Up

So here is my new bike, a 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0. My first commute on it will be in the morning, so we'll see how it goes. I know I'm excited!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Very nice Texico. That should make morning worth looking forward to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    How's the Tamland? And what size ring do you have on that?

I'm tinkering around with my Tamland (changed to a Vaya steel fork, which was surprisingly lighter)...and I'm thinking of changing gearing now.

It's a great all-around bike for sure!