Need some input on my old bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need some input on my old bike...

I want to ride a road bike more often for excersize and for fun, but I dont have $1,500 or more to spend on one, so here is what I am thinking.
    I have a old Miyata Elevation 200 bike (I dont even know what year it is, I bought it used 10 plus years ago). and I wan thinking of changing out the handlebar and maybe even the stem to more of a road bike style. Also would be upgrading the shifters, cog and maybe even the cranks, and adding some slicker tires suitable for the road.
    Everything is great working condition. The frame is in great shape, it rides good and handles good.
    My question is would this be a bad ideal? I enjoy riding this bike as it is, but want to upgrade a few things for my rides (usually 6-10 miles) Just want to make it a little more "road friendly"

What are your thoughts?

Rueben

mtbr member
    For the price of those upgrades you can get a used road bike on ebay. MUCH better option imo

Adding those parts to that bike is going to give you extremely strange fit, and some of them might not be compatible (wheel might have a freewheel, not a cassette), road cranks might contact frame due to bigger chainring, etc. Too much of a headache for what the end result is....

Are we there yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    For the price of those upgrades you can get a used road bike on ebay. MUCH better option imo.
    I agree. Decent road bikes can be had for $200 or less on Craigslist in my area.

That or just get the slicks and ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ya, leave your bike as is and get a used road bike. They can be had relatively cheap.
    Some people buy a road bike and can't handle the drop bars........

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    lower stem to get you over the front wheel a bit more.
    grab yourself some 1 or 1.5" slicks.
    leave the rest alone.

(or get a new bike, i vote fix up the old girl, old rigid mtb's make great commuters)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by harm
    I enjoy riding this bike as it is, but want to upgrade a few things for my rides (usually 6-10 miles) Just want to make it a little more "road friendly"
    If everything is working on your bike, get some slick tires and play with handlebar height, as suggested. Maybe put on bar ends to get some variety to your riding position. Your rides are pretty short, though, so maybe the variety in riding positions is not needed.

mtbr member
    I agree with the "Get some slicks and ride" school of thought, what do a good pair of slicks cost, $60?
    To Canadians Hockey is not just a game, it's OUR Game.....!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Slick tires and or a lower stem. Service the hubs, fresh grease does wonders then ride. Spend the minimum amount of money you can on the bike.

mtbr member
    I'm all for adapting, but your bike looks like it has integrity the way it is.
    It looks like a dependable and friendly work horse and I'll bet you would miss the feel and..."spirit" of your bike as it is currently configured.

Members who have read this thread: 0