Need some help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need some help

mtbr member

Need some help

I am going in for a second interview tomorrow for a job that is an hour from my home. My thinking for this position is I take the commuter train 42 of the 49 miles and bike the remaining three miles into the office. The challenge is the train has few cars with bike access which could cause me to have to leave the bike. So it requires me to have to rent a locker at my last stop headed south to ensure the bike is there daily. I live in south Florida in a hot and very humid climate. What kind of build do you recommend that will stand up well against the element in an expanded metal locker? I need some ideas that I will not have to use my beer money to replace nearly all parts annually. :beer:
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Consider a foldable bike...you may not need the locker that way.

Otherwise any bike really should be okay....Aluminium over steel.

LightJunction.com
    Another vote for the folding bike. They look ridiculous, but they're perfect for urban commutes that are split up by bus/train time.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Never something I considered before but it sounds a lot better than leaving a bike exposed to the weather. Any brand recommendations?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think Dahons and Terns offer the best balance between cost and quality. Bromptons seem to be the holy grail and are loved by their owners but are costly. Folders and those small wheels are surprisingly swift, fun and nimble. There are models set up for differing riding styles and missions..e.g: simple single-speed, IGH, derailleurs, Commuting sensible, racy, comfort/cruising, speed, cushion, etc.

There are scores of other brands that are well regarded, others that are "good enough quality" knockoffs, junk, etc.

weirdo
    Like Moozh said, Bromptons (or Bike Friday Tikits) are supposed to be the grails for that kind of use, if you`re ready to write such a big check. Xootr/Swift have a reputation for being great bargains in the mid priced range, apparently can be ordered as framesets. If you go with a folding bike, be sure to check on the requirements for boarding your commuter train before you spend a lot of money only to find out that you still won`t be allowed to board with your bike. BFnet has a very active and high traffic folder subforum:
    Folding Bikes

Of course, you could always stock up on disposable garage sale single speeds, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0