Need road bike like bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need road bike like bars

I have tendonitis in my left shoulder from years of mtb riding.

I need to have a shoulder width comfortable bar in order to continue using my Chinese carbon 29er with full xt controls.

I will switch to a road bike if I must.

But hopefully y'all have some recommendations for me before I take that drastic step.

Tia.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If it's just about the width, a hack saw.

I haven't tried 'em, but there's also a bunch of different bars with a ton of sweep, so if it's also about palms-in vs. palms-down, one of those might help. The Jones H-bar, the various On-One bars, some old-school bars from Nitto, some bars from Soma Fabrications. They should all have the right diameter to take MTB grips and controls. Think of the bars on cruisers.

I think I saw some flat bars with molded-in bar ends inboard of the controls from Breezer.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Trekking bars? I had some all last year and they were comfortable.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'll buy a couple and see where I end up.
    I'm also going to have to dump my 31.8 clamp and go back to old style 25.4 or whatever it is. The brakes, shifters etc. won't fit on chopped down 31.8 clamp size.

Physical Therapist said that optimally, the hips/ ankles knees and shoulder should all be in alignment. Not your typical mtb stance, but I'm getting older and have 'suffered' some overuse injuries. Will see if I can find an appropriate setup.

mtbr member
    I'll admit that I've got a bar addiction, but dropbars probably aren't the answer - at least not on your current bike. They add a lot of reach, and lose a lot of height, and create a whole bunch of new fit issues.

Like andrwswitch says, there are plenty of "alt" bars to try: Alternative or "Alt" Mountain Bike Handlebar Round Up | Old Glory MTB - Mountain Biking Made In America

Everyone seems to like the Jones bars. I've got a Mary bar and like it a lot. Lots of choices, and most will fit a 31.8.

It's about showing up.
    Arthritis here. Salsa Pro Moto, carbon, comes in many widths and sweeps. 5, 11 or 17 bend, 31.8mm clamp.

Also come as a riser of 20 mm and 32 mm.

MTN Handlebars | Part & Accessories | Salsa Cycles
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I'll admit that I've got a bar addiction, but dropbars probably aren't the answer - at least not on your current bike. They add a lot of reach, and lose a lot of height, and create a whole bunch of new fit issues.

Like andrwswitch says, there are plenty of "alt" bars to try: Alternative or "Alt" Mountain Bike Handlebar Round Up | Old Glory MTB - Mountain Biking Made In America

Everyone seems to like the Jones bars. I've got a Mary bar and like it a lot. Lots of choices, and most will fit a 31.8.
    I liked the idea of the Titec H-Bar with the rise in it. I might have been really interested in one of those. But they are apparently gone. IF you could find one it might be a good deal for your needs.

Titec Product Reviews and Ratings - Titec - Titec H-bar Mountain Bike Riser Handlebars from Nashbar

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234 View Post
    I have tendonitis in my left shoulder from years of mtb riding.
    I use to ride really narrow straight bar, and then a really wide straight riser bar, and now I've settled on the Mary and the Clarence.

I had severe elbow tendinitis, and some swept back bars did the trick. You might want to try some.

On-One Mary
    Origin8 Space Bar
    Salsa Bend Bar 2
    Soma Clarence
    Surly Open Bar

Alternative or "Alt" Mountain Bike Handlebar Round Up | Old Glory MTB - Mountain Biking Made In America

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ma...ng-156492.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/cr...ev-332004.html
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    I know this isn't common for commuters and mountain bikers, but if you actually having fitment issues causing issues with your joints, I highly recommend going to a good fitment expert. Depending how in depth they get, it could cost up to a few hundred dollars (this is for a full fitment that will have you attached to a computer). The bike shop I have bought my last 5 or 6 bikes at puts me on the bike trainer with my bike everytime I pick up a new one and takes all sorts of measurements for the seat height, seat setback, handlebar height, stem length, etc. He measures the angle of my knees in different positions, my elbows, shoulders. It takes him about 15-20 minutes and when I buy a new bike, he doesn't charge me for it. I wouldn't pay for this usually, but given you're experiencing joint issues, I think it may behoove you.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I spent about $100 on that a few years ago. A bit more for some accessories I bought at the time.

It was some of the better money I've spent on cycling, actually. No lasers or computers, but I think having an outside observer with a little experience can really help.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jrm
    mtbr member

Osteoarthritis here

I use a 46c salsa cowbell on my CX and road bikes, a on one mary bar on my SSCX and a easton ea 70 on the flux. Shortening my reach a bit and rising by bars seems to take the pressure off my shoulders, arms and wrists.