Need new tires for my Xtracyle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need new tires for my Xtracyle

I need some advice from my fellow commuter. I've been running WTB Terrainasaurs on my xtracycle commuter for a few years (on year as an X, several years before that as a regular MTB) and for the most part have like them quite a bit. This year I switched all my bikes over to tubeless and have been loving it except for my WTB tires. The sidewalls on these things frequently develop little holes, and seepage so I'm constantly having to air them up before I go riding. My X is now rigid so I'm thinking it would be nice to go to a wide tire for more cush. I use this bike for everything from daily shopping, weekly commuting, and I also like to take it out to our local singletrack (hardpack - VERY little elevation, just turns) with my daughter so it has to be able to handle a little dirt, but not much. Good rolling resistance, and good sidewalls are paramount.

Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4. I was thinking the Hookworms, but they seem insanely heavy. Obviously I don't have a light ride as is, but I can't stand excessive wheel weight. Other than that, I've also been looking at the Big Apples 2.35, but I'm not sure if they'd have any grip on dirt.

I'd love to hear input from anyone here with similar circumstances.

Thanks,
    Wes

No-Brakes Cougar
    Big Apples are so wide and can be run at such a low air pressure that you shouldn't have any problems getting traction on dirt, as long as you're not trying to climb a steep hill with a loose surface or anything.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Specialized Rhythm lite tires come in a 2.3 and have great grip

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=41812

or the older Rhythm Control

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=44024
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Another testament to big apples on dirt.

Marathon supremes are supposed to be grippier, I don't know. I love my apples though.

mtbr member
    Well I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Big Apples. Hopefully they'll work tubeless - I'll update when I know.

Members who have read this thread: 0