Need ideas to turn this bike into a comfortable commuter- Mtbr.com
    Caca pasa

Need ideas to turn this bike into a comfortable commuter

I've got a Cannondale F5, similar to the picture. When I bought it off a guy on CL, he hadn't ridden it much, and the only mod he made was putting city tires on it. I've used it for my short commute, and it's a pretty uncomfortable bike (hard racer seat, low bars that puts me in a hunkered-down race position). I'd rather have something more upright and comfortable, as I'm never going to use it off-road, and to me, it will make a pretty sweet city bike. It's fast, so I don't want anything that's too wind-resistant, i.e. full on upright position.

You guys have any recs for mods to the bar & the seat? I won't go as far as ape-hangers , and I really don't want a cruiser-type seat, but if that's what it has to be, so be it.

P.S. I've never had the Avid cable discs, and they are pretty damn impressive, I must say. Easy to adjust, and they work great. Simple idea, great execution.

"합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Cycologist
    Get a stem with more rise and can't really see the bars but they could probably have more rise as well. Plus that stem looks really long. How wide are the bars?

And it needs a dropper (just beating everyone else to it).
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Get a stem with more rise and can't really see the bars but they could probably have more rise as well. Plus that stem looks really long. How wide are the bars?

And it needs a dropper (just beating everyone else to it).
    Dropper post! Brilliant!

As I said, I've got a Cannondale F5, similar to the picture. My bike has a short adjustable Ritchey stem, and a carbon bar I put on it. But it's not very wide, and there's not enough rise.

Cycologist
    Well, unless there are any spacers on top, a higher rise bar is about the best you can do. Do you like the saddles on your other bike(s)?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Shorter, 30 degree rise stem, cheapest and easiest option to get the bars up and back a bit. As to the saddle, chuck that POS if that's how it feels to you and replace with whatever saddle you normally use on your MTB - me personally, I'm a WTB PureV guy, have it on all my bikes, can ride in just normal un-padded shorts, only really use padded shorts to keep the bits in order when riding trail, very comfy, can easily pedal 20+ miles in normal shorts. Might also consider a set of the Ergon grips with the wings to make it a bit more comfortable as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

CB of the East
    You've got to be kidding about the dropper post on the commuter, right? Tell me your are kidding.

+1 on the WTB Pure V. Not too narrow, not to wide, not to expensive. Bike Nashbar usually has them.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    You've got to be kidding about the dropper post on the commuter, right? Tell me your are kidding.

+1 on the WTB Pure V. Not too narrow, not to wide, not to expensive. Bike Nashbar usually has them.
    I'm kidding. I don't even own one.

CB of the East
    Phew!

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    I've urbanized one of my old 26er hardtails and one thing I really like is (in addition to a shorter 75mm 35-degree stem) putting on some bars with backsweep. I picked up some Bontrager Trekker bars which are more like cruiser bars (in how they sweep). A bit narrow when I'm used to the Chromag Fubars on my trail bike but quite comfy and great for dicking around town. I might put some bar tape on the bend in the front for an alternative hand position too. Turning hardtails into commuters is fun. I'm currently running mine singlespeed too.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    I've urbanized one of my old 26er hardtails and one thing I really like is (in addition to a shorter 75mm 35-degree stem) putting on some bars with backsweep. I picked up some Bontrager Trekker bars which are more like cruiser bars (in how they sweep). A bit narrow when I'm used to the Chromag Fubars on my trail bike but quite comfy and great for dicking around town. I might put some bar tape on the bend in the front for an alternative hand position too. Turning hardtails into commuters is fun. I'm currently running mine singlespeed too.
    Finally, a breath of innovation in this thread! That's the kind of idea I'm looking for. I'll check out the Bonedragger bar.

Thanks.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Finally, a breath of innovation in this thread! That's the kind of idea I'm looking for. I'll check out the Bonedragger bar.

Thanks.
    I can't find the Trekker bar on the Trek/Bontrager site. Is it discontinued?

Edit: I think you meant the Trekking bar.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

Thanks.
    Well, why didn't you say that's what you were looking for?

Bike-powered coffee grinder combines two of our favorite things | Grist

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Bontrager Satellite Trekking Handlebars (35-degree) - trekstorechattanooga.com

This is what I meant. Not sure where I got "trekker" from. They are the Bontrager Satellite Trekking bar with 35 degree sweep. Pretty affordabe too.

One warning, they have 25.4 mm (instead of 31.8mm as the ad says) handlebar clamp. Not sure what's on your cannondale. You might need a different stem too. But that would be an opportunity for you to get one with some rise to it. I grabbed a 35 degree rise 75mm length and it's made the hardtail a comfortable city bike.

I also had put some schwalbe marathon 26x1.5 slicks on it too but they don't feel particularly fast and limit traction on gravel grinding kind of stuff. So I've gone back to a pair of old racing ralph 2.1 tires I had squirreled away. They're a fast, lightweight tire. Good on pavement, gravel, non technical trails.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

Upcyclist
    https://www.planetbmx.com/shop/5-5-f...-or-white.html (And a shorter BMX stem with the right clamp size)

My opinions are subject to change without notice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'll add another vote for a new stem, one with less reach and more rise as mentioned.
    I'm not sure, but it looks like your stem allows you to remove the bar without taking off a grip and a brake/shift lever. Easiest and cheapest start. Seat is a personal thing. Get what your butt likes.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!