Need help with Cross Check Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Need help with Cross Check Rack

I have a 56cm surly cross check with an off the shelf simple rack. It worked fine when I had small panniers. I wanted to do more commuting so was excited to buy larger Ortlieb Backroller classic bags, till I tried to use them. My size 12 feet hit the bags hard, no matter how I adjust them. I've moved mounting hardware but I need to move them farther back and or up. I am thinking about purchasing a Surly Nice rack. Does anyone lease have a similar setup? Other options? I thought about the wanderlust rack also but wast sure if it would give me enough adjustability. I try to leave stuff at work but if I have to bring my clothes and laptop home, I end up with about 30 pounds of gear. that's with stopping at Founders to fill up my growler
    Need help with Cross Check Rack-image.jpgNeed help with Cross Check Rack-image.jpg

mtbr member
    A couple things:

1) It appears the rack is tilted slightly forward. Level it out by loosening the nuts/bolts on the deck that hold that frame adaptors. The adaptors should have slots in them allowing for adjustment. If they're at their limit, you may need longer frame adaptors.

2) If the above doesn't help, you can switch the mounting of the rack and your fender struts. This may be a difficult switch and require some armchair engineering. One problem you may encounter: find or make a spacer to mount the fender struts at the top braze-on, outside the rack struts at the lower braze on. This will lower your rack, which might cause clearance issues with your fender. But it will give you a few more mm of heel clearance.

3) A new rack. Do it, you know you want to... the Nice Rack is nice... if you go this route, measure up and test fit your bags before you buy.

4) The most expensive route: shorter crank arms.

mtbr member
    I recommend smaller feet. Sounds like that's your issue.

Seriously though, even if you can get the top of the rack back another inch or two, it won't move the bottom of the pannier much because it will be rotating around the bottom bolt. My first choice would be a different rack that works better. Go to bike shops and see what they have in stock, tell them your situation, ask if you can try any racks they have in stock. Otherwise, fabricate a way to move the mounting hole back further.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Need help with Cross Check Rack

Button head bolts can attach the fenders from the inside of the frame, leaving the bottom braze-ons free for the rack. That's how I run mine, and I have no issues at all.

You may still have issues, but that is the best way to run it, as it keeps the rack weight lower overall.

mtbr member
    ^ Nice kit, papa. A bit less extreme way to move the rack back than an Extracycle FreeRadical kit:

FreeRadical X1 ? XTRACYCLE

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. I tried a combination of what everyone said except the extra cycle kit. I would love to just go get a big dummy, love those bikes. Anyway I tried moving the fenders and rack to the opposite mounting holes. Not enough setback, heels still rubbed but it was better. Then I had an ahah moment when I remembered I had an old mountain bike disk compatible rack. The bonus is that is was also a Bontrager rack like the one I have so my quick release top bag will still work when not using the panniers. So this provided enough height and setback to clear my heels. Now I have so much room I can actually bring them forward a bit. It's not an ideal setup and looks a little high to me but I can play around with tweaking the fit later. Now I just need a woodchipper bar........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bikerjohnny; 05-05-2014 at 12:27 AM.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Yeah the font end could get a bit sketchy with that much rearward weight. btw.. how tall are you and are those 180mm cranks?

mtbr member
    I have that rack on my CC and didn't even think to recommend it! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I have that rack on my CC and didn't even think to recommend it! :-)
    It works well but not with 28 pounds on it. I weighed my bags to see how heavy they were. The load shakes the rack and makes the back end feel squirmy. I can move the back of the rack around with my hand. Everything is very tight but I may have to keep looking. I was thinking anoint the Jannd exposition rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    A couple things:

1) It appears the rack is tilted slightly forward. Level it out by loosening the nuts/bolts on the deck that hold that frame adaptors. The adaptors should have slots in them allowing for adjustment. If they're at their limit, you may need longer frame adaptors.

2) If the above doesn't help, you can switch the mounting of the rack and your fender struts. This may be a difficult switch and require some armchair engineering. One problem you may encounter: find or make a spacer to mount the fender struts at the top braze-on, outside the rack struts at the lower braze on. This will lower your rack, which might cause clearance issues with your fender. But it will give you a few more mm of heel clearance.

3) A new rack. Do it, you know you want to... the Nice Rack is nice... if you go this route, measure up and test fit your bags before you buy.

4) The most expensive route: shorter crank arms.
    So I took your advice rogbie and bought a new rack. It came with a bike also lol!!! Originally I wanted a Fargo but went the cheaper route with a Cross Check build up. In the end she told me to go get what I wanted so the cross check found a new home. I really love the Fargo geometry.

since 4/10/2009
    That's a pretty sexy Fargo. That said, I HATE white bar tape (and white saddles). The carbon fork on the new Fargos is pretty cool. I saw in the literature discussion about thru-axles for this bike. Does the fork have a QR or is it a thru?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

It is the thru axel with the carbon fork. I haven't put many miles on it yet but will this week for sure!!!

since 4/10/2009
    so is it a 15mm thru, then?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    A Google search tells me, pretty definitively, that the Salsa Firestarter carbon fork does in have a 15mm thru axle.

Universal Cycles -- Salsa Firestarter Carbon Rigid 29er Fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    That's a pretty sexy Fargo. That said, I HATE white bar tape (and white saddles).
    Can't hate on that color combination though. Besides, white bar tape is classy and Euro. You know, a la Merckx.

Of course, Pink is clearly a better option for bar tape color, but hard to come by.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

White went with everything else like the logos and such. It's different than any other one for now. I still have the original black that I can put on if I get sick of white. Anyway I love the way the bike rides and can change tape anytime. It's an awesome bike. First commute on it tomorrow and it's supposed to thunder shower but I still can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Make sure you pull the seatpost and set the bike upside down to drain all the water from riding in the wet. It's surprising how much water a frame can hold. I've had upwards of two cups in the frame after some soggy rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Thanks for the tip. I installed my clip less pedals today and have the bags adjusted properly. Will start commuting Monday. Tomorrow we beach ride!!!!