Need backpack recommendations.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Need backpack recommendations.

Hey guys, I currently have a raptor 14 but I'm finding it top small for my current commuting needs. I have a hardtail 29er and trail on the way to and from work. It will be approx 7-15 trips depending on mood and weather. I would say it's 75% singletrack. I am looking for a bag that can carry a change of clothes as well as a Tupperware or 2 with my lunch and then also my shoes which are kind of on the large side. I also want a rain fly to keep.my belongings dry. My bike can hold 2 bottles so I can sacrifice the bladder and just reserve my osprey for big trips. I was thinknking Def something over 20L capacity.

What kind of packs are you guys running?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Can you leave the shoes at work? That would be ideal really freeing up some valuable space.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Moderator Moderator
    I keep going bigger. My current pack is Deuter Trans Alpine 30. Very comfy & well made, rain fly, separate bottom compartment (I use it for tools, but it would fit shoes I think), nice phone pocket, key snap, cinch straps for when your load is smaller, etc. http://www.deuter.com/US/us/bike/tra...5217-blue.html

My Last one was n Osprey Manta 26, also great, but significantly smaller, and overstuffing eventually broke a zipper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. I've read a ton about the deuter transfer alpine. Just ordered!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a couple Dakine Mission backpacks.

It has a nice pocket for my laptop, lots of pockets for other stuff I need underway, and a padded waiststrap to keep the weight off my shoulders. Perfect.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Great, hope you enjoy it!

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I've got one too. Great pack. Comfortable and can hold quite a bit of stuff.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

I'd rather be on my bike
    If I go backpack, it is because I need to take a lot of stuff with me to work. Currently have one of these, and it is monstrous.

Barrage Pro Backpack - A Bag Built for the City - 22”h x 15”w x 11”d | Chrome Industries

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^ holy cow, that is a bag and a half. I cant imagine packing that much crap to and from work

I have a 22l evoc bag that I really like.

I leave multiple shoes at work, along with a belt, and my shave kit. I have a camping towel that packs up fairly compact, and I bring it home about every 4 days or so.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    ^ holy cow, that is a bag and a half. I cant imagine packing that much crap to and from work

I have a 22l evoc bag that I really like.

I leave multiple shoes at work, along with a belt, and my shave kit. I have a camping towel that packs up fairly compact, and I bring it home about every 4 days or so.
    It hauls a lot of stuff, sometimes I need that much room, sometimes I don't. Strapped a set of wheels to it and rode down to the LBS to drop them off. Rode to the grocery store and got my groceries with it. It swallowed up a box of sandwiches when I was doing bike delivery for Jimmy John's. Fit my dog and his bed in it when I took him to the LBS for the day with me. Totally overkill for a daily commute but there are days when you need to take more than usual, and this bag works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Osprey option

I'm about to start into a 36mi rt, so I'll need clothes, towel, food, laptop. I was dialing in on the Osprey Radial 34, but realized that a lot of reviewers kept making comparisons to the Momentum 34, which is discontinued. I went on ebay and found one, lightly used, in yellow, which works well for visibility among cars. The back doesn't look like it ventilates really well, but the pack's size and layout seem great otherwise. I'll post my findings to this thread.

In the end, I backed out on the Radial because users complained that the back mesh only worked well if you were upright. I tend to lie down on aero bars when I commute. Escapist 32 is another similar option, but people kept mentioning the Momentum...so.

I wish the Deuter site did a better job of identifying their cycling packs. If I'd seen the Trans Alp, I would have been very tempted.
    Last edited by marcva; 05-25-2018 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    For a long time I used the backpack Deuter Giga. The capacity is 31 liters and it's divided between four compartments of different sizes and has a pair of side pockets. Perhaps it's not as big as you need, but I had enough of such a capacity for things, a laptop, books (mostly technical and big, that used when I do my calculus homework and other works), food and various other things. I think Deuter can offer another big bagpacks for your needs.