National Bike to Work in the Winter Week- Mtbr.com

National Bike to Work in the Winter Week

19-23 December is now (as officially as I can make it) National Bike to Work in the Winter Week. Please join me in riding to work that week if you weren't already. Pass the word. It would be great to be formally recognized, but the point is really just to create some motivation for riders on the bubble about winter riding.

Other "holidays" I'm considering? Perhaps the week of 26 December could be "I wish I owned a fatbike last week, week." Just a thought.

CB of the East
    I don't know. This looks more official because they have a website, a GIANT "V" and a date which could be November 2, 2017 but is February 10, 2017 (can't we all just agree on a date format?)

But it is only a day.

I figure it's easiest to use a date that can't be misinterpreted, plus I used the week Winter starts in the northern hemisphere (this year).

mtbr member
    I'm in, but I dont think we will have much "winter" in that time. Current forecast predicts above freezing everyday that week, maybe just below early in the morning. We'll see.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I'm in. Going through and putting all of the summer stuff away and getting the winter stuff in order.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

I just finished a pair of toe covers for my Lake 145s to get them ready for temps below 10F as well as modifying a bandana to fit under my goggles but not go too far down. Typically I have trouble protecting my nose without fogging my goggles, but the "short" bandana seems to solve the problem. Plus I can push it out of the way to clear my sinuses.

mtbr member
    So its game on for 1st NB2WiW now.

I'll probably ride 4 days until x-mas break. As forecasted not even below 0C tomorrow. Maybe the rest of the week, we'll see.

So who is in for monday?
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 12-18-2016 at 01:09 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    Offseason for me. No worky.

But even if I was, I'm not exactly acclimated for a -5F morning commute on Monday. The ice everywhere right now is definitely keeping me off of all my bikes. Today would be a great day to ride if not for the ice. Reports from the trail this morning are clear - today is for studded tires only.

The annual Luminary ride tonight (I think it's been going on for more than 30 years now) was cancelled because of the ice, but the 2nd annual Eff Winter ride (which started at noon) apparently still went. No thanks. Too icy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    So its game on for 1st NB2WiW now.

I'll probably ride 4 days until x-mas break. As forecasted not even below 0C tomorrow. Maybe the rest of the week, we'll see.

So who is in for monday?
    Monday is a marginal day (nearly 0F and icy), but the killer is the Doctor's appointment in the middle of the day. Pretty hard to take an hour to change on both ends of the appointment, plus the ride time, plus the appointment time in a new job without any sick leave, ugh. The rest of the week looks great though (besides the riding conditions).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Monday is a marginal day (nearly 0F and icy), but the killer is the Doctor's appointment in the middle of the day. Pretty hard to take an hour to change on both ends of the appointment, plus the ride time, plus the appointment time in a new job without any sick leave, ugh. The rest of the week looks great though (besides the riding conditions).
    Can you take a taxi or Uber or something to the doc?

I'd be interested to see you modified bandanna, I haven't been in a location that required goggles or worries about frostbite since I left Alaska. There I used a face mask with a little nose port. It did the job.

The bandana is pretty straight forward. I just tied a standard bandana so the top is under the edge of the goggle, then I marked where it meets the bottom of my chin. I drew a line across that point and sewed along that line, but the extra off and flipped it inside out. It's not perfect, but my face is too long for the sirrus facemask and I can flip this up to clear my nose and stuff. I'm probably redoing it with fleece and nylon at some point. Need to figure out how to make the front less flat and perhaps add an elastic/Velcro attachment on the back.National Bike to Work in the Winter Week-win_20161218_19_17_01_pro.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks good. Making it out of a better fabric is a great idea. I think I would have to cut a hole in there to breathe through however.

I'm on the bubble about that. Breathing down seems to keep the goggles from icing over. I got the idea from a motorcycle face cover. it does get in the way at times, but your can push it up and it stays put pretty well.

CB of the East
    I'm off to a poor start. This is maybe the only day this year that I could have rode the bike in but just wasn't feeling it. The 2 commutes on Friday, both below 0F, were more exhausting than most and the forecast for today was the same. Pair that with a busy weekend and a late night last night and I'm in a car today.

mtbr member
    As forecasted not much winter here now, 5C and dry. What else would I want for winter??

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm off to a poor start. This is maybe the only day this year that I could have rode the bike in but just wasn't feeling it. The 2 commutes on Friday, both below 0F, were more exhausting than most and the forecast for today was the same. Pair that with a busy weekend and a late night last night and I'm in a car today.
    Opposite here, I drove Friday but rode today, the cold ones are really draining even when you are comfortable, I was sloooo both ways, but more so on the return. Careful on the lake, I was surprised to see a dog had top be rescued this weekend by the fire department despite the recent cold Dog rescued from ice in Calais - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

CB of the East
    ...Funny you should mention the lake. First crossing was today.

National Bike to Work in the Winter Week-pc200936.jpg Last day of fall ride. 20F and slick everywhere. At 5:15 am I was the third person on some of the route that morning. The ride home could have been better, I underdressed for the country part of the route. The temp was 40F when I left work, but by the time I was done, temps in the lower areas were 32F, not warm enough for a long sleeved jersey and vest.