• 05-03-2012
    cjohnson
    National Bike challenge. Who's in it?
    I am riding as part of a local team. The stats are crazy cool to peruse.
    Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports

I learned what is happening with the endomondo information collected during this campaign by our smart phones. The razzle dazzle of the campaign is getting people out to have fun, ride and use their bikes, but things waaay bigger are happening with the data.

A person chooses the type of ride they are taking, eg transport/commuting, recreation, mt biking.... Endomondo maps the routes cyclists prefer. This information can be used for planning better infrastructure, lobbying, knowing better routes, knowing what areas must be lacking preferred surfaces/routes....etc. This data is invaluable IMO.

This is cool stuff. Not to late to sign up. I am on a local team, but the mtbr commuting forum could have a team as well.

charlie
  • 05-03-2012
    BrianMc
    My phone is dumb. No GPS.

BrianMc
  • 05-03-2012
    mtbxplorer
    I'm in too, they promoted it through our wellness program at work. They lost a few points when I saw that they had to fix the bug that made MTB miles not "count", but they did fix it. I don't have a smartphone, so I just log miles on line

Only 3 days into the challenge, but VT is in the lead with the most points (miles) per 1000 people. :band: (click on leaderboard and then states button)
  • 05-04-2012
    MotoX33
    I had been using My Tracks to track my rides but switched over to Endomondo a few weeks ago and it is freakin sweet. I joined the challenge last month before they were "officially" counting the miles, but unfortunately the weather has been pretty terrible this week so I haven't been able to log as many miles as I would like.
  • 05-04-2012
    Dalton
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoX33 View Post
    I had been using My Tracks to track my rides but switched over to Endomondo a few weeks ago and it is freakin sweet. I joined the challenge last month before they were "officially" counting the miles, but unfortunately the weather has been pretty terrible this week so I haven't been able to log as many miles as I would like.

I am using MyTracks now, but you think Endomondo is better? What do you think makes is better?

I haven't joined, but I think I am going to.
  • 05-04-2012
    BrianMc
    Related question. My phone has a nice camera, nice alarms, but no GPS. Its reception is not the best. It is also out of warranty and the battery is due to fail. Any recommendations for running an app for mileage?

BrianMc
  • 05-05-2012
    MotoX33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    I am using MyTracks now, but you think Endomondo is better? What do you think makes is better?

I haven't joined, but I think I am going to.

They pretty much do the same thing but I really like Endomondo's website and it just seems more intuitive to use.
  • 05-07-2012
    BigE610
    Im not doing the challenge but notice a lot of people dont have smartphones. I have a smartphone but dont like using it for gps since it dies and then i have no phone. I now use a garmin gps and upload the files. Endomondo makes it really easy to do and I have had zero issues doing this. Just wanted to let people know. Im Bige610 on there as well.
  • 05-14-2012
    pez222
    I have been in it since the beginning of the month (also when I joined Endomondo). Its pretty cool. I am a runner also but have never done a gps tracker before. I like it a lot. Right now I am 3rd in my city for riding... this week :) I am in the top 10 for the month. Gotta get back out there.
  • 05-15-2012
    bedwards1000
    Alrighty, I'm in. Is there a MTBR team yet? I'm just entering my workouts manually. Frigging with the GPS for every ride and remembering to turn it on and off is more than I'm capable of. It also kills the battery in a hurry if you leave it on in some poor coverage areas. VT is kicking some serious butt.
  • 05-17-2012
    mtbxplorer
    ^^Yep, we're still #1! But Maine has soared from #50 to #31!

1 Vermont 182.15 points/1000 persons.
    2 Wisconsin 130.78 points/1000 persons
    3 Nebraska 107.82 points/1000 persons
    4 District of Columbia 48.74 points/1000 persons
  • 05-18-2012
    bedwards1000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^Yep, we're still #1! But Maine has soared from #50 to #31!

Yeah, I was on vacation for the first week of the month so I couldn't do my part.:D So 50th, you mean that we were 1 away from dead last? What a comeback!:rolleyes:
  • 05-18-2012
    mtbxplorer
    ^^ I think you were dead last :p the weekend I was over there...I told my friend in N Yarmouth that he had to sign up to help out (he bikecommutes to Portland).
  • 05-18-2012
    bedwards1000
    I just enlisted the help of the Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting meetup group. LOOKOUT! we're headed to #30 in no time. (If they bother)
  • 05-18-2012
    PapaBlunt
    Been in for a couple weeks! I need to log more miles so Colorado can get up there.
  • 05-18-2012
    p08757
    I'm a proud member for the 5th year!