Nashbike Lives!!- Mtbr.com
    Bedwards Of The West

Nashbike Lives!!

I have embarked on the winter project... got the ol' Nashbar X frame/fork out of the rafters and started in on what it appears is going to be a singlespeed project. I found a sweet deal on a singlespeed crankset...but I also got this cool Origin 8 two-pulley chain tensioner thingy that will allow me to use a double crankset up front, if I want to do the 'dinglespeed' thing. So I may put this single crank on the commuter and fix this thing up with the compact road double crankset off of the commuter bike. Still undecided on that...but it will have no shifters and one brake... I got my old front Avid "BBDB" (the pre-BB7 BB7) to work on the rear with one of the adapters that came with another set of brakes. So I'm going to have to use a 185mm rotor, which should provide one-finger lock up, whether I want it or not . The tires are Kenda Kwest 700x38... there's plenty of room for fenders, but this will be a fair-weather bike. Keeping it simple. I'm getting stoked on the old Nashbike. Especially now that it's a 'classic' with the 135mm rear hub spacing, since the new ones all have 130mm. Collectors edition, for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nashbike Lives!!-nash1.jpg  

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Nice re-cycling project.

weirdo
    I dunno about collectors, but definitely a Special Ed.
    ition.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Your workshop is a lot nicer than mine.

Bedwards Of The West
    Special EDition...I like that

Well I got it done in time to ride to work in the morning. Haven't done a shake-down ride, so I hope it works. Pretty happy with the result, at least in terms of appearance. We'll see how it handles with the really short stem. Sitting on it, I like the reach. I always had a too-long stem on these bars before, so I think I'm going to like it...but it will be twitchy.

Gear ratio is 46/21. I have no idea what that means. It's my first singlespeed since my BMX days, and I remember I used to run 44/16 on the BMX bike. But I had really long cranks (185's), and these are 170's. And the wheels on this are slightly bigger I will learn a lot on my 6 mile spin (or slog?) to work in the morning.

Here 'tis:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nashbike Lives!!-nb1.jpg  

Nashbike Lives!!-nb2.jpg  

Nashbike Lives!!-nb3.jpg  

Nashbike Lives!!-nb4.jpg  

Nashbike Lives!!-nb5.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Just check the brake before the hill - it looks like it would roll pretty fast without one.

Bedwards Of The West
    Well, I made it. I am declaring this a seriously fun bicycle. It was a spin-fest at first (downhill/flat), and I was thinking the gearing was way too low. then there's a long slight uphill, and it was pretty comfortable. The two short steep climbs on my commute were manageable...so by the end of the ride I was thinking that maybe the gearing is just about right. It occured to me somewhere along the way that this is probably what singlespeeding is all about

The highway patrol "your speed is" sign clocked me at 16 on the flat section coming into town, which was a comfortable cadence.

The ride home will tell me more. Quite a bit more uphill.

If nothing else, I have confirmed my previously unfounded belief that riding a fixed gear around here would really suck.

weirdo
    As I`ve said before, SSing is for flatlanders and studmuffins.
    Take it away, Muffin Man!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Great bike, cb. What's the verdict on the handlebars? I was thinking about using bullhorns for when I eventually build up a big-appled urbanmonstercruiser, but was leaning towards cross levers instead of the barend levers. Any opinions?

Bedwards Of The West
    I had these bars on this bike in its old form... rode them for a year or so. I got the bullhorns after doing a year on drops and realizing that with the way the bike fit I spent 99% of my time on the hoods anyway, so who needs that extra bar hanging down? These are the TransX Bullhorn bars (cheap at pricepoint). I like them a lot. The lever is a Cane Creek 200TT lever. I used the pair of them on this bike before. They are in exactly the right spot. Personally I wouldn't like a cross lever on there. When I had a stem that was way too long, I would grab the bars on the back section, but it's not nearly as comfortable as a shorter stem and spending most of your time in the 'right' spot on the bars.

I also used to have a thin bar tape on these bars, and I didn't like the feel... it felt too 'delicate' and skinny. This is the SRAM 'supercork' tape, and it makes the bars feel way more beefy.

I'm using an Easton adapter shim set to use a 31.8mm downhill stem with the skinnier bars. I definitely recommend the bars and the Cane Creek levers. I miss the little rubber top of the lever on the left side since there's no lever over there now...it's a perfect little thumb rest.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I had noticed the supershort stem. I was thinking that crosslevers could feel too narrow, and that barends might actually be a better way to go. Or instead of the bullhorn I might just stick with a riser bar and barend extensions. It's all moot though, since I still need to find a frame.

Bedwards Of The West
    Well I survived the ride home and decided that the gear is just about right... I had to stand and mash on a couple of the bigger hills, and I was tired on the final push home, but it wasn't really noticeably slower than my geared commuter, and probably a better workout. So I pulled the chain off on a whim, since I hadn't checked before, and I found out that this bike is the holy grail of singlespeeds with standard dropouts... I have found the "magic gear"... a phrase I learned only 3 hours ago while browsing the SS forum.

Bye bye tensioner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nashbike Lives!!-ss.jpg  

weirdo
    Good deal- it looks much better like that.
    Why do you only want one brake, and if you must limit it to one, why did you put it on the rear?
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    I wanted it as simple as possible...hence the one brake and why I'm stoked to ditch the tensioner.

I wanted no brakes, but since I'm unwilling to ride a fixed gear, it was a necessary addition

As for the rear instead of the front, I think that's a riding style thing. I have a heavy BMX background... didn't ride a bike with a front brake for a lot of years (other than a motocross bike). I'm very well aware of the stopping power of a front brake vs. a rear brake, but on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones. So if I'm only going to have one, it just has to be out back. This thing will see at least some dirt every time I ride it, and pine needles and potentially snow... all places I am primarily on the rear brake anyway. And on pavement, I can't imagine needing to stop any faster than this thing will stop. If I get in that situation I was going to crash anyway. At least I know I won't go over the bars.

mtbr member
    That is BADASS!!!

You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    As I`ve said before, SSing is for flatlanders and studmuffins.
    Take it away, Muffin Man!
    And the mentally deranged. Don't forget us!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernerd View Post
    And the mentally deranged. Don't forget us!
    Well, I wasn`t going to mention that possibility, but...
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Looks like I need some Aluminum added to my heavy metals to be crazy enough, or get the Muffins into shape. I don't see the land getting flatter until the next ice age.

I rode The Duchess without stuff on it as a test ride and understand the minimalist concept. Both bikes have s a 50 mm stem and are a bit twitchy but more of the bars are comfortable. Nice to know I am not alone in that.

BrianMc

Ovaries on the Outside
    An afterthought, so you know I'm not chasing you....

call it the Nash'tard.