Nashbar X Aluminum - Nearing completion!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Nashbar X Aluminum - Nearing completion!

After too much thought, issues with hub spacing, etc, the Nashbar X Aluminum is nearing completion...

Building it up with a Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub - The crank is an older Shimano Deore 9spd - I simply moved the outer ring to the middle position, and voila, the chainline is perfect. Will have a Surly Singleator on there as well to ensure good tension, but it's coming along nicely.

The green goodies are made by Woodman - cheap on outsideoutfitters, and seem to be sturdy and light. Much more impressed with the headset than I thought I would be too. The fork is a piece of steel pig iron from a Trek 7.2FX that I sanded and spray painted primer black - I like the look of a straight legged fork with this frame MUCH more than curved, and hell, it was free.

The seatpost and saddle are just there for the build's sake, and will be swapped... but in any event, it's coming together really nicely... took a lot longer than anticipated, but wanted to post this up for anybody considering the same!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nashbar X Aluminum - Nearing completion!-bike2.jpg  

Nashbar X Aluminum - Nearing completion!-bike1.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Looking good! Your fork paint job came out very well, and the greenies are a nice touch.

y

Bedwards Of The West
    Nice.

We need an official Nashbar X club
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

LightJunction.com
    Lookin' good. I'd be interested to hear some feedback on that Nexus hub. The idea seems really nice, if weight isn't an issue.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Bedwards Of The West
    Is yours 130mm rear spacing?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, I tried to get the 135, but they sold out of it and are now back to making 130.

With that said, the Nexus hub comes with spacers to make it 135, I think. Without the spacers, it's super close - probably 132.5, enough that I have to just barely push down the stays to put the wheel in, but no big deal.

I haven't had tons of experience with the Nexus hub, but they're pretty smooth. It is heavy though, but so is the fork Once I get some miles in, will give a thorough review!

weirdo
    Cowbell was that you who called N-bar to confirm 135 dropout spacing, then got stuck with 130? Good looking build. I generally prefer the look of curved blades to straight, but I think you`re right- maybe because of that funny shaped DT. And lowrider bosses are a nice bonus!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hey there! Yup, that was indeed me! FINALLY getting this thing built - just have to get the brake cables on now, route the shifter cable, and stick on a set of grips and it'll be rockin!

Agreed on the lowrider bosses - going to be handy for the fenders. That downtube, especially on a frame as large as mine, necessitates a straight blade fork to my eye - I tried curved, and it looked a bit goofy!

mtbr member
    The side view silhouette of the DT is repeated in the opposing slant forks side profile. Looks of a piece.

BrianMc

Members who have read this thread: 0